Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French man accused of drugging his wife and inviting men to rape her

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I don't know what to say to this, like I don't have any insight into the mind of a sexual assaulter or rapist, because I'm not one. I don't know how they think, or operate or what they do in their spare time or how to identify them, no more than I know anything about a person who embezzles money from a company, I don't engage in that behaviour either.

It's a bit strange to expect me, simply because I'm a man, to have answers or insight into a subject like sexual assault or rape, simply because I'm a man. Do you not see how that is sort of offensive? Because I'm a man, I must have insight into other men who rape women? Really? Is this your logic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I've no idea why this is difficult.

I commented on how they present. The clever ones are better at bending in and presenting as normal.

If your question is whether I think rapists are normal. Then no, is obviously the answer. Why do you need to canvas opinions on such a basic question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Your insight seems to be "Nuthing to do with me, mate". That's fine. You can always just scroll on by you know, if you have nothing to say. There's no obligation to join in if you aren't concerned.

Instead you and a number of others seem to need to close the discussion down. I wonder why.

Because I'm not entirely convinced by the "I know nothing" approach. Why is it ok to acknowledge the concept of boy racers? If we don't do that, if we treat teenage girls and 40 year olds as being just as likely to race along the road and kill themselves and their friends out of some sort of misguided attempt at equality, would we be increasing road safety or reducing it?

So is there no point in considering what it is about boys' minds that leads them to do that if we want to increase road safety?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

you have done nothing misrepresent everything about the entire case and now are still trying to triple/quadruple down on your agenda. I dont know how you can use the term "factually inaccurate" in this fantasy thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

could you point out any posts getting offended on behalf of these rapists?

and what specifically is the call for more increased action in this case: The site where these rapists organized is shut down and its owner prosecuted, a wider investigation has happened across Europe, and there is more public awareness raised for gynecologists to spot signs of serial sexual abuse.

This thread wasn’t a call for that increased action though the OP started it beckoning men to respond to it especially, implying that men of all stripes bore responsibility for the behavior of these rapists, which is fallacious and bad faith. We don’t see threads started about mass shootings spun as “hey readers, why are you all such mental basket cases? Get your house in order”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not sure if you are being deliberately obtuse. The point was being made by others (and you joined in so it looked like you were reinforcing that) that these crimes were committed by "ordinary men" - not by "men who otherwise appeared to be ordinary".

Such crimes are usually committed by people who appear to be ordinary otherwise. If they didn't appear ordinary otherwise, they would have been monitored and/or caught.

Yes, this makes sense. The stupid ones get caught. Or in this case, a supermarket security guard was vigilant, and the police (belatedly) did a great detective job after that. Only for that he'd still be at it and Gisèle Pelicot (I forget her new name) would possibly be dead.

Now if enough people actually cared about identifying patterns that would allow us to see who the perverts are who are "blending in", maybe we could get somewhere. But instead there's this hostility, male defensiveness and downright lies about where the problem is. I mean, "women drivers" FFS.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Lies like them all being "local ordinary men who jumped at the chance"?

Stop attacking me and assuming things about me, I'm here in good faith trying to understand what exactly you are looking for.

I certainly acknowledge the concept of boy racers, just as I acknowledge the concept of rapists (concept, that's a weird way to describe it but whatever). I own a car, I drive at fast speeds on the motorway, I am not, however a boy racer, nor understand what compels a person to become one or partake in that activity. I simply do not understand it, I do not comprehend the need to engage in such activities. It's extremely strange to me that some people (boys? men?) enjoy and seek out this activity. I can offer no insight into it.

I'm not dismissing that rapists exist, but I am dismissing your erroneous notion that men have insight into rapists simply because they are men. This is a wild assumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Pretty much the same way that society can tell if a woman is another Lucy Letby, sadly that is we can't, seemingly ordinary people can be capable of untold evil, the chances of finding them will increase rapidly if you actively seek them out.

If we take it that 100 men out of 32,840,000 men in France are demented willing rapists that equates to 0.00031% even if you want to add on a few zeros to the number of willing male rapists, lets say there are 10,000 that is 0.031%.

I know that it should be 0% but sadly we do not live in a perfect world, but it is patently incorrect to paint the picture of ducking and diving at the sight of any person in fear that they will hurt you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

"So are you saying that this woman is herself partly responsible for her rape?"

No. I am not saying that and you damn well know I am not saying that or anything close to it.

My perception is that you are arguing for some kind of collective responsibility for the actions of men. Or at least some collective sharing of suspicion or potential guilt.

As I have admitted I would not trust other men at all when it comes to how they might be inclined to treat women.

However I am not sure where the line for collective responsibility is drawn. As society moves towards a model where more and more women are in positions of power and influence it becomes less realistic to blame "patriarchy" for the ills of society.

Somebody is raising these terrible men. Somebody is educating them.

We have increasing numbers of men who were raised almost exclusively by women but if they turn into bad ones we still want to lay the blame at the door of "men"? It seems to be a view that is incompatible with reality.

Thats before we even get to modern western views on crime and punishment and so on. We have people getting suspended sentences for sexual assaults while the government ponders if they should start imprisoning people for social media posts. We don't think that might be a bit of an issue?

I suspect you haven't read much about the Lucie Letby case recently. It seems highly likely that she was a scapegoat for poor practice leading to avoidable deaths.

Oh, you're one of them.

Wow.

They were though. Add "apparently" if you wish, but that doesn't change the point, which is that we can only take people as they present. And they presented as perfectly normal. So who is normal and how to tell? Should we start to assume that every man we meet could be presenting as normal but actually a pervert? In terms of protecting themselves, wouldn't women be safer if they took that approach? I'm not saying it's feasible. But it does seem like it's true.

And the fact that some men would have their feelings hurt is undeniable too. I'm just wondering why, to some posters here, the risk of men having their feelings hurt seems to be the most important aspect about that approach.

show where you are seeing that they were all local please, this is something you've been asked a few times and ignored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

One problem with the drink driving analogy is there's a simple test for drink driving. It's interesting as well that the law on random drink driving checks is quite particular about keeping subjectivity out of it. Guards can't just set up a checkpoint outside the house of a known drinker. Safeguards like that protect people from the feeling of being "targeted".

Sexual violence is a more complex problem. It's also muti-faceted. While I take the point that more education around consent could help to create better kinds of relations between young men and young women, it's not going to help prevent a case like this one, in the slightest. It's probably not going to help cases where young male perpetrators had previously completely fallen out of the education system for one reason or another.

It's like the crime of murder. You can argue that reducing social inequality, child poverty etc will reduce the causes of some crime that leads to murder. But, it won't have any impact on cases like say Graham O'Dwyer's, where the cause was some much more deep-seated mental deficiency, which can hardly be blamed on the education system, and let's face it is much more likely to be associated with men than women. This case is more comparable to that one, than your average murder would be.

That said, I despair a bit when I see men saying women grabbing a man's crotch is somehow comparable to male sexual assault on women. Or that a woman raping a man is comparable to the other way round. But, they aren't the same. The asymmetric strength relationship between men and women is what defines the way they both see the issue. A man whose crotch is grabbed by a woman can choose to be offended, or to be flattered. Either way, he knows he isn't under any real threat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That said, I despair a bit when I see men saying women grabbing a man's crotch is somehow comparable to male sexual assault on women.

yeah, i saw that post and decided not to react. it showed such a godawful failure to understand context that the phrase 'not even wrong' sprung to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I find this story too disturbing. It will take me a while to process.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Physical ability to threaten isn't determinative. Sure there was an ex-judge jailed for abuse and he had no arms and only one leg. It is of course a factor, but is not necessary

• Advertisement

I didn't even use the word ordinary in my post. You keep putting that word in quotation marks so I don't know if you're mistaking me for someone else, because you're not quoting anything I said.

But to your second paragraph (and as I said in my first post) deviants are spread all through society. The stupid ones are more likely to be caught. The clever ones are better at blending in and less likely to be caught. But clever people and stupid people are probably equally likely/unlikely to be deviants

That said, I despair a bit when I see men saying women grabbing a man's crotch is somehow comparable to male sexual assault on women. Or that a woman raping a man is comparable to the other way round. But, they aren't the same. The asymmetric strength relationship between men and women is what defines the way they both see the issue. A man whose crotch is grabbed by a woman can choose to be offended, or to be flattered. Either way, he knows he isn't under any real threat

Rape is rape. Sexual assault is sexual assault. It’s not “flattering” Jesus wept.

Oh dear, the double standard brigade has turned up.

Still waiting on the evidence that the 70 men were all locals……ho hum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

this needs to be answered. the way they framed it, it was like most of the men of a local town had raped this woman. Ignoring the fact that they all connected through some website for similar sick minded individuals

Unfortunately for the victim she will have to relive it all in court as the trove of evidence is played for the judge and the jury. Truly wrenching to think about.

Well the confusion arises from you quoting my response to another poster about the use of the word "ordinary" so it appeared that you were taking issue with what I said and conflating being ordinary as appearing ordinary. You might not have been

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one of the most disturbing aspects is that if he hadn't taken those upskirt shots, it's very likely it would still be going on.

I wouldn't be caught, in a million years, minimising sexual assault. I think it shows howfar we are from taking it seriously when someone can start a thread asking men to take assaults against women more seriously, then minimise assaults against men.

There are more egregious assaults and less egregious assaults. Thats reflected in law with sentencing and so on. But the idea of minimising any of it is really sad to see. Shows there's a lot of progress to be made if things are to improve.

I think it determines how men and women see the issue, is what I said. It took me a while to appreciate this, but a lot of this stuff around "it could be any man" relates to the fact that women have to constantly make that kind of assessment, when men don't.

• Advertisement

No I haven't ignored it, I've mentioned a couple of bits of evidence. I've been following this in the French media (it began about 4 years ago) so I can't possibly find all the links now.

But for example, there's this from a French journalist who's live tweeting the trial, where she says one of the men is a neighbour she used to meet at the local boulangerie.

There was also a reply from someone on those threads, who is from the area, when the journalist published the names of the accused - the poster said she recognised several of the names as they are "all local". She even knew a couple of them personally.

But it's not easy to search back on twitter, so you can either accuse me of lying or take my word for it. I really don't care.

Or you could look yourself - I've given enough information and links so that anyone else can search through her tweets as easily as I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

That is literally the defence used by several of the men: that if the husband is happy enough, they didn't see a problem. One even said - in his actual defence! - that "He's her husband, he can do what he likes with her".

But you think it's somehow my character flaw, for pointing that out. Okay.

Sure. That said the rationality is usually given inverse sense of severity, approaching the situation as eg. most men can be rapists (tens of millions of people in a society, about 1 in every 2 humans you meet) vs. most rapists tend to be men (a <<1% cohort per 100k)

• Advertisement

Yep an utterly false narrative to further a demented agenda. The case is grim enough without adding in bonus tabloid fantasy elements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Yep … Another Man hating thread…

Slán ….

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

The title was provocative but it would be actually interesting if men could give their honest opinion on this matter.

The case in question is extraordinary but since the many of the men involved seemed to be well functioning, well regarded people it does raise the question of how many men would do something if presented with the opportunity and whether their male friends had any inkling or a glimpse of their views towards women.

I imagine there are things men discuss amongst themselves that they wouldn't let women know about (tbf vice versa for women). Stag trips were some men use prostitutes but all stay schtum. Wayne Couzens who murdered Sarah Everard was reported to have brought escorts to work functions and his fellow officers turned a blind eye. Daniel Schloss comedian has described a friend who he dismissed as going a bit too far/banter until his friend actually raped another friend. In both those cases the actions of the man only seemed prophetic in hindsight, but it would be interesting just how much low level poor talk or behaviour might be a glimpse of something worse.

my wife was telling me about an analogy she heard a female comedian use - you might like maltesers, but if you know that 1 in 20 of them contained pure human s***e under that chocolate shell, you'd just avoid them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Who is a poor judge of character?

It reads as if you are referring to the victim here, surely not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

So we can't discuss this vile case in case men get offended ? Slan indeed.

there’s much less posts discussing the case as there is discussing men. Proving to be a disservice to the victim of this case.

The title was provocative but it would be actually interesting if men could give their honest opinion on this matter.

Except that is not what is being asked, or inferred.

As a man, my honest opinion on this is that it's a disgusting thing that happened, and the perpetrators should go to jail for a very long time. There, is that an honest enough opinion? What other sort of opinion do you expect the men in this thread to hold about this incident? Ah shur it's grand, it was only a bit of rape among friends. No, nobody is going to say that or anything resembling it. Nobody has minimised it, nobody made excuses for these pieces of human dirt - but the inference that men on this thread, simply by the act of being men, can offer any additional insight into the minds of rapists is very weird.

…and still no evidence that these men were all from the local area, other than "I made a claim, if you are too lazy to verify it that's on you" sorry love that's not how this works.

Some of the men were from the area. Not even most of them, or a lot of them. Some. To suggest anything else is to tabloidise the issue, a crime that hardly needs it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Well, that was my question, could they offer an insight?. I worked in a pub for years. I saw how differently groups of guys acted while together and how different those same guys acted while their girlfriends/wives were with them. And this is in a local were everyone knew everyone. How differently again would that group act while abroad on a stag with know one but themselves to know?

I'm not inferring that men know their mate deep down is a psychopathic rapist but I wonder how may men see their friends do things that show their disregard of women that they don't call out. There are clearly cultural factors that influence rates of sexual assaults. Rape has been historically been shown to increase during times of war. There are also vastly different rates of rape between India and Ireland for instance, and I would find it hard to believe that the patriarchal culture in India vs Ireland isn't a large part of that. There will always be psychopaths who would do disturbing things no matter what, but there must be a percentage of men who would rape/sexually assault if conditions meant they weren't likely to be caught or judged to account for increases in rape during wartime conditions.

If a woman grabs a man's crotch non-consensually then that is a sexual assault. I hope we're clear about that.

I think it's more to do with the relative numbers of male sexual assaults on women and vice versa (cases and convictions) that is relevant to women's perceptions of the problem. I'm also a bit sceptical about men who say it happened to them, but didn't do anything about it and then just claiming generally that women can be scum too.

Like you, I don't have any answers for the women here asking what do we do about cases like this. I'm just saying I understand to some extent, their reason for asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Be right back

What a crappy headline from the Telegraph.

I'm also a bit sceptical about men who say it happened to them, but didn't do anything about it but then just claiming generally that women can be scum too.

I would suggest you do some soul-searching about that if you do not apply the exact same standard to women victims

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TokTik

Nice thought, but it’ll change nothing. People that do things like this have it in them. A few classes or ads won’t change that.

Is a wife-beater gonna see a domestic violence ad on the telly and think “Gee, I never realised what I was doing was wrong, I better apologise and change my ways”??

Perhaps we should do like they do in some countries where they don't allow women out without a male relative escorting them?

Or maybe we could be have a system where a single nutter woman can get onto a crowded Luas at rush hour and scream "All the man ba$tards get off because I'm afraid you're going to rape me" and all the men have to get off

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement