Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Oh ya, every summer for the last few years. Some quality guests, and some interesting people you may not have heard of too. Ardal O'Hanlon today.

I presume they plug Richie's stuff because that needs people listening to pay for the ads, whereas the radio show is presumably paid for by rte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,791 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

When did the talk come around to Ronnie's goal?

Ken: Two drinks in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

no ken on today's liverpool v united podcast. I've no interest in listening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Ah, well. Liverpool are fecked. Miguel is on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

WTF was Murph doing interrupting Caitlin Thompson to make a terrible ‘joke’ about Ireland versus Spain in the Olympics medal table?!? Eoin did not sound impressed, a forced chuckle and then straight back to CT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

By far one of my favourite aspects of the show is Ken (and the gang too I suppose) reporting for international duty. No matter how **** Ireland are.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/sep/03/scouting-whatsapp-messages-messi-my-two-weeks-as-argentina-assistant-coach

Get Wilson on the internet blower immediately

Seperately, I do like the arc of Declan Rice’s gurning being the thing that brings Ken closer to admitting himself and The Wolfe Tones share the same nationalistic pride just as the great men are retiring.

Post edited by Tucker.Tim on

• Registered Users Posts: 36 choosetheend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Acosta

Ken in good form on Talksport earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Dion Fanning twice in one week?

Where's Gavin Cooney

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/sep/05/england-how-lee-carsley-rose-head-coach-role

The funniest timeline is the one where we win on Saturday and Carsley is immediately ruled out of the England job despite the fawning media campaign to install him.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The Talksport presenter was saying imagine if Rooney left to play for Ireland after being capped for England, would have thought Musiala would have been mentioned, he grew up in England and played underage for them before declaring for Germany, looks like a handy player too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭bren2001

more of a comparison with Grealish. Musiala had zero senior caps for England unlike Rice having 3 for Ireland and being Young POTY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

was Ken really trying to suggest that Oshea is still being lined up to the senior job after Heimar?

would Ken not realize that him and a lot of other broadcast journalists done a huge amount of spoofing in the interim interim and just maybe reflect that they didn’t have a notion what cabham’s plan was in the interim period and just analyze things as they are and leave the gypsy rose and her crystal ball act be for a while.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/sep/06/lee-carsley-will-not-sing-englands-national-anthem-before-first-game

I guess Fenian Lee isn't all bad. It's going to be weird if England have someone I actually like managing them.

He didn’t sing Amhran na bhFiann when he played for us. It’s hardly Revenge for Skibbereen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Not such a good listen when they have actresses like Eileen Walsh today, or yer wan who plays the nun in Derry Girls.

Eoin and Murph turn into fawning schoolgirls, giggling at every unfunny quips their guest makes.

I never knew they were such "theatre dawlings"

• Advertisement

Will the lads survive the Deco no celebration celebration

Naw this is just fúcking funny at this point. Wallowing in self-flagellation is what we do best anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,711 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Yeah, I couldn't help thinking Eoin's not gonna like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

He tweeted about it!

Sounds like the FAI’s crack team of football geniuses have delivered first class entertainment again with the Icelandic vibes guy and the assistant manager who is actually his boss.

At least the podcasts will be good if this continues going tits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Found the lads, particularly Damien Delaney, a bit over-the-top gloomy yesterday. Hard to take too much away from a game against England really, tonight will be the big one.

And is it just me, or is it a bit weird that they were calling the John O'Shea Interview thing a farce, when to me it seemed as though it only became a farce because the media kept asking O'Shea who the boss was. It struck me as another situation where the lads (and the 'media' in general) don't realise how little the average Joe cares about media duties and press conferences. Or am I wrong here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

the Irish football media are extremely influential with online based fans. They are able to influence fans to think a home defeat to Luxembourg is acceptable while an away draw with Georgia is totally unacceptable.

now they are able to bring a narrative into question about Heimar’s willingness to do the job because of body language in a huddle and skipping a presser while when the last manager struggled badly to articulate himself in media pressers, nothing was mentioned in the media about these struggles or what they said about him being able to run a elite dressing room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Musicrules

The Kenny faction have made a show of themselves in the last few years. Firstly by continually backing a clueless manager as he went from one failure to the next and now trying to oust his successor after 1 game. The truth is that the squad may not be of the highest quality but their confidence is absolutely shot. Being managed by a man who couldn't string a sentence together and guiding them to numerous embarrassments has left this squad devoid of any belief.

They are much better than they showed on Saturday but it will take time to pick them up off the floor. I expect a much better performance tonight and hopefully a recovery can be made. Whether Heimar is the right man for the recovery remains to be seen but at least give him the Nations League before making any judgements.

I'm a big fan of Branno and I make no apologies! The polo report was great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Typical delaney, smug superior character. What has done coach/management wise that he knows so much has always made me wonder about him. He is clearly a tactical genius going by what he talks about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,155 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Felt like O'Sheas answer to the continuous question of "will the players be confused over who the boss is" should've been; "he's the one out there actually working with the players before the match tomorrow, while I'm here talking to you".

The lads have been so continuously cold on Hallgrimsson since the first moment he was announced. It's a bit weird. As Eoin touched on, and was then ignored, surely it was a good thing that he was using those extra few hours with the team, given how much the lads all pushed on him having to make his mark. Ken bizarrely was making a big deal of this being the first window - as if that isn't the strongest argument the other way. Once the players have bedded in and know what he's about in future windows then nipping off for pressers won't be a big deal, as it'll be all about small changes by then hopefully. It's precisely because its the first window that it's good that he's getting every minute he can on the training field with them.

• Advertisement

You mean the presser where the manager was obligated to appear in is it? It’s like saying why are people weirded out by the minster for finance not announcing tbe budget, it just is something glaring when the Icelandic lad spent the week saying he wasn’t really at the wheel.

Responses like this have the same smack off them as the ones where people swore blind for a year that the FAI weren’t making an utterly embarrassing hash of the search for a new manager. The lads are the ones on the money as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,155 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's more like the minister for finance not appearing for a minor presser a few days before the budget, because he has budgety things to get done. As they said, the FAI got dispensation for Hallgrimsson to stay working with the team.

Heimer must have been listening to the podcast because he’s doing a mountain of gyrating and gesticulating during this break in play

Things are grim enough with this team, not sure I want to listen to Delaney ranting and raving over tonight's performance

If you don’t enjoy the misery are you even an Irish supporter

Anyone know who the London guests are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Manu Petit and Katie McCabe by the looks of it.

I’m not paying them three quarters of a chicken fillet roll a month to hear an ad read for their sponsored hotel stay

I'm happy enough listening to them talk up a Hotel Chain or Airline if they're getting free flights and accomodation or whatever. Doesn't bother me that much.

The get sponsorship from hotels, airlines and beer companies mostly. I'm not completely okay with the corporatisation of the podcast, but at least they're not gambling companies or conflict of interest type stuff.

I find the bits when they talk up their sponsors pretty funny usually.

• Advertisement

Ha! Fair enough. I liked your chicken fillet roll price comparison.

Some people do get mad about the sponsorship though.

It doesn’t really bother me but I’m old enough to remember them touting the World Service as ‘ad free’ and ‘member led’ (whatever that meant).

How that description tallies with them shilling for a three-star hotel chain I don’t know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭bren2001

Have you listened to the non-subscriber feed on a Monday? That has proper ad reads.

One or two ad reads in that manner a year doesn't bother me in the slightest on the world service feed.

It most definitely is member led in that they're not bowing down to Dennis OBrien or an equivalent. They decide what their narrative is and people either sub or they don't. They've no higher power to answer to except their subscribers.

I remember that. They were still calling themselves ad-free when they were promoting Aer Lingus' flights to San Francisco. But I don't think they use that phrase any more, maybe they still do?

I agree with what you're saying anyway, but like you I'm not too bothered. I suppose I'm happy to see the lads doing well, even if they could afford to pay for their hotels rooms, I don't mind them getting them for free.

I actually wouldn't mind staying in the calm, comfortable and sophisticated settings of a high quality Maldron Hotel tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭dog_pig

They probably shouldn’t describe themselves as commercial-free when they do actually run ads though

• Registered Users Posts: 2 thebigcheese2222

Love the podcast but is anyone sick of their refusal to do Irish live shows outside of Dublin? Going to Berlin and London multiple times is a bit of a slap in the face. I have no doubt they would sell out Cork Galway Limerick or Belfast

They have done live shows from the country before. not in a while though. Maybe they know their demographic better than you though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

Probably moreso going to NYC, London or Berlin is sexier and more fun for them than Murph staying over at Mammy and Daddy's for a Galway show 🤣

They would easily sell out Cork, Limerick, Galway anyway if they wanted to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭iniall

@bren2001

Fixed your post:

Have you listened to the non-subscriber feed on a Monday? That has proper ad reads.

One or two ad reads in that manner a year doesn't bother me in the slightest on the world service feed.

It most definitely is member led in that they're not bowing down to Benefattore or an equivalent. They decide what their narrative is and people either sub or they don't. They've no higher power to answer to except their subscribers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

That's not member led! That is just independent!

Advertisement