Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Not sure I agree with your third sentence. What evidence is there for Bleyendaal being a better attack coach than Goodman? He's younger and less experienced as a coach compared to Goodman, and part of the reason he was brought in has to be that he knows Nienaber from their time at Munster. It seems to me all this indicates Nienaber's influence will be stronger this season than last. Is a stronger SA style going to have more potent offense? I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

When did Bleyendaal actually arrive here ?. Heard he was still in NZ in August.

I think he went back about 2 weeks ago because his wife/girlfriend was due to give birth. I saw some photos of him at training before that, but dunno how long he'd been here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

You may be correct. I honestly can't see how he could do any poorer than Goodman.

Yeah. For the sake of the national team I'm hoping how blunt Leinster looked wasn't all on Goodman but rather Goodman and Nienaber were jointly responsible for Leinster's attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Thanks.

Taking into account that he has had to move himself & family around the globe in a relatively short time and start in a new job as the new guy, it'd be near miraculous if he's done more than meet & greet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Leinster teasing a big reveal at 3 today.
    I would think it’s just shots of Snyman in kit or some such

• Subscribers Posts: 41,780 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Big signing at 3pm supposably

Hardly news now is it..Snyman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

yeah ‘twas Snyman in kit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Is he out for the rest of the Rugby Championship so?

I think you're allowing last season to cloud the reality of Leinster's attack over the previous years.

Probably the only time he'll be wearing the kit!! Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭FtD v2

Interesting piece with Leinster's CEO Shane Nolan in the business section of the Irish Times today:

As it's a business centric interview it focuses relatively heavily on the commercial aspects of the role, with little enough reference to the rugby pieces.

Some of the interesting nuggets IMO though:

-season ticket sales up around 30% YoY, to c. 15,000 for the forthcoming season

-gate receipts generally account for around half of Leinster's income

Also - really glad to see him push back on the utterly stupid narrative that is pushed by the English clubs frequently (but relatively regularly from other parts of Ireland too) about Leinster being the "best resourced club in the world" etc.

On that point specifically he says:

“I won’t lie to you, it’s frustrating when I hear that and it not being challenged because it’s just not true,” he says. “I’ve heard lines around Leinster being the most resourced club in the world. Any Google search will show you that, never mind the Japanese clubs because they’re on a different level, but the French clubs are all, you know, minimum 50 per cent more funded than any of the Irish clubs. That’s just fact.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,780 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

But but but, surely the Leinster CEO doesn't know more about Leinsters finances than the likes of Jackman et al who always claim Leinster is one of the top two finances clubs in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The narrative does my head-in, like a lot of things around rugby punditry, where people are happy to state things as fact with no basis in reality. Literally no one has a clue so why do people keep saying it? And I'm not saying they're wrong on this all but they literally haven't got any idea so why put forward your opinion. The English media are terrible for it

The biggest assumption of course being that every single player in Leinster is paid their top-end market rate (i..e they decided to pack in Irish aspirations and go aborad) which is patently not the case.

Interesting that gate receipts are 50% of income, sponsorship is 40% leaving just 10% for merchandising, summer camps and ground rental income.

Sort of explains why they don't really care about the merchandising aspect.

• Advertisement

I'm shocked the gate receipts are that high a proportion. You'd imagine they are dwarfed by other commercial revenue for most large professional sports clubs.

How does money from the TV deals filter out? Do the provinces get any share of the URC or European Cup's TV deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Leinster the only province not to announce their team thus far for Northampton game tomorrow at 2pm.

I'd be interested to see if JGP makes an appearance.

No word on if it will be streamed or not

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭conquestscarer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

and no report of game.. they dont care about fans who are interested in preseason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15.Andrew Osborne (2)

14.Tommy O’Brien (35)

13. Liam Turner (29)

12. Charlie Tector (8)

11. Rob Russell (32)

10. Ross Byrne (162)

9. Luke McGrath (212)

1.Jack Boyle (11)

2. Gus McCarthy (1)

3. Thomas Clarkson (41)

4. Brian Deeny (22)

5. Conor O’Tighearnaigh (4)

6. Max Deegan (113)

7. Scott Penny (72)

8. Jack Conan (148) CAPTAIN

Replacements from: John McKee (27)
    Lee Barron (16)
    Michael Milne (41)
    Rabah Slimani (0)
    Rory McGuire (3)
    Alan Spicer (0)
    Alex Soroka (9)
    James Culhane (8)
    Will Connors (49)
    Cormac Foley (20)
    Fintan Gunne (3)
    Sam Prendergast (18)
    Harry Byrne (68)
    Hugh Cooney (0)
    Henry McErlean (3)
    Aitzol King (1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

no one is interested in preseason.

The team sheet is “every fit and available player”, the match report is “the lads were rusty as f**k but it doesn’t matter cos it’s only preseason”.

Edit: the team for Bordeaux was announced the day before the game, just like today. Friday announcements for Saturday games is absolutely standard, so what’s the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Surprised that Jack Boyle already has 11 caps. Is this his first season as a Senior?

Very interested to see how he goes this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Spicer on the bench. Huge. Literally.

Great to see Soroka back. Poor kid needs a good run of fitness

• Advertisement

Yeah, Boyle just signed his senior deal in May.

He played in 9 games last season, starting 6 of those, for a respectable 371 mins.

That was actually second highest minute count of all Leinster's LHPs, behind only Andrew Porter (848 mins, 14 games, 14 starts).

He was ahead of Cian Healy (363 mins, 14 games, 4 starts), Ed Byrne (220 mins, 6 games, 3 starts), Michael Milne (290 mins, 9 games, 1 start) and Paddy McCarthy (88 mins, 4 games, 0 starts).

Advertisement