Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin really safe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭yagan

Adds to what an earlier poster said about it being a national problem.

Doesn't mean that dublin city centre isn't the epicentre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

yeah i'm just pointing out we have basically the same problems all over ireland, albeit on smaller scales outside of dublin, for population reasons. it's still a very safe country to live in, as are our cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I like visiting Cork, Kilkenny, Galway. Hell, even Waterford if I'm stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The double canal drowning that occurred a couple of months ago was the result of one homeless man attempting to rescue another one. One was from Kerry and the other was American. Families were devastated. Another homeless man from Kildare died rescuing a Lithuanian man struggling in the Liffey in 2023. Both men perished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭machaseh

Irish has been the national language again since independence over a 100 years ago, there is no excuse that you can't speak it fluently or read and write in it to a certain level of proficiency.

• Advertisement

While I agree with your observation about the wasteful hypocrisy of compulsory Irish in Irish education I must point out that constitutionally Ireland has two legal languages.

Not knowing Irish or not having a leaving cert grade in the language never hindered my university progression.

Up till 1973 you had to have latin to go to third level in Ireland! A Dutch person told is used to be like that in the Netherlands too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭thereiver

Ireland was ruled by Britain years ago if you wanted a job it was better to speak English many Irish emigrated to the UK and America the Irish people decided to speak Irish.

Irish has no practical value unless you are a teacher or work in tg4 tv.english is widely spoken around the world to some degree

Most people would be better off spending time learning high level maths or stem subject than spending hours learning Irish at school

Very few people speak Irish at work or outside school

You make it sounds as if it was an option when the reality was adapting English was a matter of survival under British rule.

The apocalypse of the Gaelic world in 19th century Ireland was a consequence of foreign rule.

Spent Saturday out in Dublin bay, saw a minke whale and some porpoises, headed in to Drury st. Buildings for the evening. Amazing atmosphere in town, streets were packed, great fun. Not an angry word or action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Theres problems all over the country, most of it coming from Drug addicts or a protected Irish group .

Are people been killed left right and centre ..NO..but its adding an edge to all town centres which is making places less pleasant than they used to be and why should scum be allowed get away with bad stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Dublin has essentially no police force. For it to be as safe as it is with no police is actually quite a wonder. We're very well behaved foe the most part.

I agree with you. There's little or no visible deterrent against crime in that north inner city core now.

Even when we had massive youth unemployment in the 80s and gangs of bored young people hanging around the fluzzi in the Jacuzzi there was still a garda station and foot patrol presence on O'Connell street.

🎶 In the raaaaare oul times 🎶

It's definitely not just Dublin that has issues. Walk around any town or city centre in the country and you'll find Danny Dole and his mates hanging around, drinking cans and roaring, with impunity. A lot of it centres around wherever the methadone clinic happens to be. Unfortunately for Dublin that's every 2nd street. It's not all the time though. Had some mates up with me last month and we all had a great, trouble-free night. No minkes or porpoises though.

Methadone clinics on every second street? Not really true. You'll see whales, dolphins and porpoises in Dublin bay - True.

Some folks take hyperbole as a way to make a pedantic point they otherwise cannot - True.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I'm loving living just off the Ballymun Road at the moment. Where scum roam the area freely on robbed motorbikes, usually two up with one carrying a lump hammer or bolt cutters on their way to rob more bikes. Or for a change just doing casual wheelies past the Garda station/ flying through red lights flat out. It's especially fun that I have repeatedly been followed by them when I have the audacity to go out on my bike and they are at a stage now where they'd probably pull you off your bike in the middle of the street without a second thought. But that's my fault I guess for owning a bike and living near a festering shithole where teenage scum are literally allowed to do anything they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭Gary_dunne

You posted basically the exact same comment a while back. We get it you don't like where you live, move if you hate it that much.

• Advertisement

Just stop exaggerating the problems in Dublin, we know they exist but when you spoof you get caught out and your arguments are weakened.

Oh, those who endure our lawless streets are the problem.

Pot, kettle, John. Why don't you stop minimising the problems in Dublin? You've been spoofing this whole thread. Going on about porpoises and other laughable things that have nothing to do with the obvious problems in DCC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Cool I should just sell the house and move because that's what should happen. Can't be dealing with the teenage scum problem. I've been here 15 years and this is only going on as it is the last 2 or so.

I've acknowledged and addressed the problems over and over again on this thread. I've come up with what I think are suitable solutions to those problems. I've lobbied for improvements for the city (in real life, not on boards.ie) and I've worked as a volunteer in the city centre. I'm sorry if my positive experiences of Dublin don't suit your narrative. My best advice is for you to put me on ignore or don't read my posts if you don't want to hear nice things about your capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

I dont think after 33 pages and nearly 1000 posts the answer is ever a simple yes or no.

I've posted already on my experiences in living in Dublin and the most recent visits.

Is Dublin Safe? Yes , with a but…..

Is all of Dublin safe ? No with a but ….

Is Dublin Safer than it was ? No, not in my opinion.

All of the above in my opinion applies to every urban area in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭thereiver

Theres not methadone clinics on every second street there's crime in dublin yes there's people using illegal drugs yes there's people robbing bikes but you can say the same of about every city in Europe. Irelands population has increased in the last 7 years. The no of gardai on duty has not increased as far as I can see clinics exist to stop drug addicts robbing people to get money for drugs

If you go around town at 8 am you,ll see bike locks on the ground cut locks from bikes robbed last night

What needs to be accepted is that there is an inner city cohort who now post pandemic feels they own those streets because there isn't a resistance to their behaviour.

While scrote behaviour is evident elsewhere in our nation it is in our capital that the situation has passed from a concern to an open sore.

While Latin is no longer compulsory, it is still available in high school in the Netherlands and I probably know way more latin than you do Irish. Same goes for Ancient Greek (though this was not available at my own high school).

• Advertisement

So your education level in your own language is very low. So you're not very smart is what you're saying.

Advertisement