Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭aero2k

It's abundantly clear that there is significant scientific research and data to support the statement that Vote4Squirrels made. A lot of it has been provided on the thread. Other than a few exceptional cases (e.g. that in the OP), nobody has provided any evidence to the contrary. (Everybody accepts that there is some overlap between performance standards for the entirety of men's and women's sports, but the best men will always beat the best women). Do you have any previously unrevealed evidence that you could share with us?

*edit added the second sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭greyday

There does seem to be a hatred of women in all this TBH, its like these male advocates are happy to insult women by having biological males that could not compete at a high level in their observed sex at birth compete against women to show them that even biological males lower then elite level could dominate womens sport when allowed to compete, it really is gone pete tong when people argue that biological males human rights are infringed by not being allowed to compete against biological females, I wonder how long it will take age related categories to come under attack by people that wish to compete against 8 year olds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

As far as I know it's correct she's met the eligibility rules.

The problem is the eligibility rules are highly flawed.

I'm just repeating myself here but the evidence we do have shows that testosterone suppression comes nowhere near equalizing the athletic performance between males and females.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

https://www.gbnews.com/sport/football/trans-row-erupts-football-team-refuses-to-play-signing-sutton-united-blair-hamilton

To be fair, the minute Lucy Clark was appointed as the manager and wanted to fill the entire Sutton Women's team with biological males - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/09/01/sutton-transgender-goalkeeper-football-match-postponed/ - this was going to be a foregone conclusion.

The face on Sutton's actual female keeper was heartbreaking to see today.

Women's football teams - as with other sports teams - were created because physically and physiologically female on average are not as fast, as strong, as tall as males nor do we have as dense muscles or as strong bones.

I've said it before but it bears saying again - bodies play sports; identities and feelings don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭greyday

Womens world darts federation have stated today that any woman refusing to play against a trans woman will be officially sanctioned to protest the integrity of the sport, they will be sanctioned with bringing the game in to disrepute, it would be funny if it were not so serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

No no, there is no shuffling goalposts, gif or no gif.

You are honestly trying to say the medals they got when they identified as a man have no bearing on them competing as a female? Your ideology is really blinding you here.

You can stop the personal attacks. Ad hominem fallacy. You are another anonymous internet pseudonym, and haven’t exactly shown your grades in biology here (nor would they be verifiable) nor would they hold any relevance to the argument that her prior medals pretransition make her any less qualified to compete under the rules governing her testosterone levels. Such claims as “heart size” aren’t engraved on her past medals surely. Is “heart size” one of the competition criterion? Doubtful.

There are no attacks, save us all the faux outrage, which you are using now to try and avoid any genuine discourse about it. The irony now that you engage with insults just shows that you can't back up anything with facts, it is all feelings. You really think heart size when it comes to physical competition has no embedded advantage? You seem to be struggling with basic sports science and biology. But as we have seen, and ideology doesn't require facts, just feelings.

Everyone in here can see your tactic on this, you avoid avoid avoid.

Do you acknowledge that the male body has physical, embedded advantages over females after puberty, can you at least admit that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,644 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Can someone else explain what the medals have to do with anything:

Someone who, transitions M2F and competes in the female category, with no prior medals in the male category

or Someone who transitions M2F and competes in the female category, with prior medals in the male category

Hasn't the ideological argument to date been that both of these competitors are 'unfair?' So the medals have no bearing. QED. The medals similarly have no bearing on the facially scientific arguments about biology: 'lung capacity,' 'heart size' etc. wasn't bestowed by awarded medals.

Someone with no previous medals is likely to beat women, someone with medals has a demonstrated history that confirms his ability to beat women, and in the case of Petrillo, Vote4Squirrels has linked a document showing the gap between his best and the best females.

I might be still on ignore....

They don't actually give out medals for lung capacity and heart size, but there tends to be a correlation between large lung capacity, large heart size and success in endurance events like long distance running, cycling and cross country skiing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,122 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Women's football teams - as with other sports teams - were created because physically and physiologically female on average are not as fast, as strong, as tall as males nor do we have as dense muscles or as strong bones. 

I've said it before but it bears saying again - bodies play sports; identities and feelings don't.

But that’s not the reason women’s football teams or any other sports teams were created? They were created with the opposite intent - to dismantle those beliefs about women which prevented their participation in sports, as sports were thought to be solely an activity in which only men could participate, much the same as many activities at the time were regarded as solely an activity in which only men could participate - from academic pursuits to occupational professions. Women were simply regarded as being inferior in every way to men - physically, intellectually, emotionally, and so on. Their sole functional objective in society was based around the idea of their reproductive capacity being of any value.

That began to change around 100 years ago when women began to form associations to organise and promote women in sports, and the benefits of playing sports for women, which never solely rested on the belief that ‘bodies play sports; identities and feelings don’t’. Were that ever the case, then sports would be limited to people whose cognitive function or intellectual capacity is limited or impaired in some way, or they have one of many of what are now regarded as learning disabilities. That has never been the case - people whose cognitive function, intellectual capacity or those who have what are now regarded as learning disabilities, were also historically subjected to discrimination in sports and attempts were made to inhibit their participation in organised sports.

Not only has your belief never been shown to have any rational basis in fact, it’s been debunked by overwhelming evidence to the contrary:

https://goalfive.com/blogs/news/history-of-gender-inequality-in-sports?srsltid=AfmBOorsmDUvi6LQlaivtUA3Jn2qBd8sTa7wIOrWu1gwSVSTvfgOJeAA

Because I provided the example of Verity Smith recently in the discussion, I’ll stick with that one and share their experiences of competing in women’s rugby, later in wheelchair rugby after they had their back broken by another player:

DS: Wow, that’s intense and a lot of extra s**t that most athletes will never deal with. 

VS: I’ve been doxed, I’ve been put on the dark web with my personal information. But you know what, if everything that I am going through now saves one person or one child, then it’s absolutely worth it. The best thing you can do in sport is to play as your authentic self. Not having to hide who you are and having your name and pronouns respected without having been dragged off the pitch because another team told the referee that I shouldn’t be playing and I’m dangerous. That happened once at three o’clock on a Sunday afternoon and you can’t get ahold of anyone from the RFU at that time, so I got removed off the pitch in front of my friends. What happened afterwards was another one of my teammates who is a lot bigger than me a lot and a lot taller than me. She was allowed to play, and she just railroaded everybody on the opposing team. I just sat there smiling. Yes, it’s just crazy. So, I decided to use my platform to make sure that other young people didn’t have go through the life that I did.

DS: When you came out, did you worry about getting kicked off the team?

VS: I got told that if I came out as trans I wouldn’t be able to play. It is hard because being a rugby player is the one thing that I had. I lost my parents when I was very young, and rugby was my go-to. So, it was going to be hard to lose that too. I had to decide between my gender identity and my athletic identity. I’m 42 now and I’ve only just started being able to be myself. I’m a trans gay man. I’ve got my partner; I also have a disability. The sport only supports my disability, but it doesn’t support my gender identity, and it doesn’t support my agenda. Thus, I am making sure that we have these conversations around what’s actually happening. It’s been a massive roller coaster ride; I’ve had teams stand in front of toilets and not let me into my own changing facilities. All because they have this preconceived perception about the way I look, I had a beard before, but I used to shave it all the time just to make things easier for myself when I played women’s rugby. Now we talk about hormones, they thought I was gonna be 6’4” with a six pack. Good luck in that I’m 5’6” and just over 12 stone,  I’ve got a dad bod and have gone bald. So, it’s definitely nothing to do with anything like that.

https://competenetwork.com/wheelchair-rugby-player-and-trans-man-verity-smith-is-leading-the-way-toward-building-gender-diverse-and-inclusive-sports-for-all/

And Natasha King definitely wasn’t just playing sports with her body when she decided to deliberately cause injury to Dani Czernuszka-Watts in retaliation for having successfully tackled King earlier in the game, breaking Dani Czernuszka-Watts back in the process. It hasn’t stopped her playing sports though, and now she plays a different sport, competing for Team GBs para-ice hockey team. For her, sports aren’t just about playing with one’s body either, they’re just as much about identity and feelings:

"It's rugby on ice," she jokes. 

She says the sport has allowed her to meet "some of the most awesome humans".

"When we come away from our team we're all so isolated, and then you come within a team and you're all together and it doesn't feel like you're anything other than just part of a team."

The athlete says she worries about injuring herself "every time I play", and she sometimes suffers from flashbacks.

"I'm only human... but equally I'm a human that's wired to be physical and play sport, and you just can't change that," she says.

"Once I was on the ice, it was just freedom."

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cpde859d4nro.amp

Ms. Czernuska-Watts bears no ill will towards the sport of rugby, but rather she feels that ultimately she was let down by the improper and poor behaviour of the opposing player, coaching staff and the referee, whose responsibility it is to ensure that all players are treated fairly, and with respect, while at the same time being mindful that safety is also an integral aspect of any sport, regardless of the sex of the players involved:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11794817/amp/Mother-paralysed-rugby-pitch-says-allows-daughter-13-play-game.html

That’s something which has been historically and all too often overlooked by over-zealous fans, journalists, team owners, managers, coaches, referees, and indeed players, which has lead to these sorts of cases coming before the Courts in recent years. In one of the more notable cases, Senior Master Cook encouraged both sides to be inventive and creative in the legal mechanism they deploy:

Previewing a potential trial, Senior Master Cook noted that causation “is going to be fiendishly difficult” to prove and urged both sides to be inventive and creative in the legal mechanism they deploy with Rylands Garth also taking a separate action against rugby league’s authorities.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2024/05/20/rugby-concussion-lawsuit-trial-delayed-2025/

I imagine he’s not likely to be disappointed, though how he is likely to rule will be another matter entirely, an outcome that even if I were a gambling man, I wouldn’t care to take, or place a bet on.

• Advertisement

If you really need someone to explain that to you, you really must have no grasp on the concept of sports, at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

It's the same tactic they've employed over and over throughout the course of this thread. Latch on to one tiny thing (in this case medals) and attempt to repeatedly bash anyone that disagrees over the head with said point. Its hilariously transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Transgender person Petrillo (ITA) will be competing again on the track, this Friday morning T12 women's 200m heats ……

Unfortunately, I am like a dog with a bone, so I won't let up.

Any chance of a tldr on what this wall of text has to do with men in women's sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

For sure it is steeped in an internalised hatred of women, because they want to be women, but know they can't... so end up hating women. Autogynephilia is one helluva psychological head ****!

It is truly sad to see this play out, and even more so to see ot wear the guise of 'progress, and feminism'... it is the antithesis of those things.

Clever word play may win debates, but it doesn't make it true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

It's the genuine trans people that just want to live their lives that I feel sorry for. I can only imagine how difficult being trans is but to see their identity taken over by a large volume of fetishists and grifters must be deeply upsetting. Unfortunately they are de facto having to suffer additional hurt due to no fault of their own.

Sadly that is always the case. A small legitimate group gets hijacked by a very vocal and annoying group, who tarnish the entire group.

A tale as old as time.

I also feel sorry for the LGB part of the LGBTQAII+, because ai inagine therebis a lot of 'guilty by association' being levelled at them. Can understand why there are break away groups tryingbto separate themselves from the things after LGB.

Post edited by 2Greyfoxes on

Apologies @One eyed Jack, after re- reading your post, the document concerning inequality between the sexes when it came to be allowed compete in sports is relevant. Women have had to campaign to be allowed compete at all, the LA Olympics for example was the first to have a women's marathon. Note that they had a separate event for the men. Now, there's still a lot to be done, witness the shenanigans in the women's soccer team in recent years, they were / are very much second class citizens. And the dropout levels for girls in their mid to late teens is a problem.

Now, after all the good work done, and progress made, why take a huge backward step by allowing men to enter women's events, thus ensuring that women can't compete on a fair basis?

Because to some people they are seen as the gender (and now sex) that they say they are. For those individuals reality is defined by words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Mr Bumble

If only reality was defined by words - I'd be a Euromillions winner!

Elon up shiz creek without a paddle now and a fully declared extremist.

JK gone very quiet now that she's being sued by the Algerian woman. That could run to €100m. Oops

Meanwhile in Moscow

In July, Proekt — a Russian investigative outlet deemed undesirable by the Kremlin — published an investigation that revealed the depths of Kremlev’s relationship with the Russian state.

According to the report, the IBA president changed his surname from Lutfulloyev, a Turkic name reflecting his Tajik heritage, to the more Russian-sounding Kremlev in 2010, in an effort to distance himself from a criminal record that includes convictions for extortion and battery. In that same year, he also joined the notorious Night Wolves biker gang, an ultranationalist group with close ties to Putin.

It was through the Night Wolves that Kremlev met Alexei Rubezhnoi, the head of Putin’s security service and an influential figure in the Kremlin. Rubezhnoi lobbied for Kremlev to become the secretary general of the Russian Boxing Federation. He also helped Kremlev secure a private audience with Putin.

Kremlev did not waste his chance. He established a relationship with the Russian president, who bestowed him with the Order of Merit to the Fatherland, awarded for outstanding contributions to the state. Having established himself in Putin’s circle, Kremlev was reportedly gifted with “unlimited opportunities to make money.”

During Kremlev’s tenure with the Russian Boxing Federation, the group saw a significant increase in financial support from main sponsors such as the bookmaker company Liga Stavok and the National Lottery. According to Proekt, these entities are actually owned by Kremlev. Additionally, Rubezhnoi also engineered the nationalization of Rolf, Russia’s biggest car dealership, and then successfully lobbied the Kremlin to place the company under Kremlev’s control.

Kremlev, with the backing of his Kremlin allies, also gained control over the Russian betting market. In 2021, a decree signed by Putin appointed TsUPIS — a company gifted to Kremlev after its previous owner, the billionaire lawmaker Magomed Gadzhiyev, fled Russia for denouncing the war on Ukraine — as the sole operator of all bookmaker betting in the country. Kremlev also became the beneficiary of three of Russia’s largest betting companies: Fonbet, Pari and Liga Stavok. In return for his business success, Kremlev leveraged his position within the sporting world to further Russia’s political agenda.

Yeah right.

Anyway. CAreful what you write about this. The Algerian lady is suing

In July, Proekt — a Russian investigative outlet deemed undesirable by the Kremlin — published an investigation that revealed the depths of Kremlev’s relationship with the Russian state.

According to the report, the IBA president changed his surname from Lutfulloyev, a Turkic name reflecting his Tajik heritage, to the more Russian-sounding Kremlev in 2010, in an effort to distance himself from a criminal record that includes convictions for extortion and battery. In that same year, he also joined the notorious Night Wolves biker gang, an ultranationalist group with close ties to Putin.

It was through the Night Wolves that Kremlev met Alexei Rubezhnoi, the head of Putin’s security service and an influential figure in the Kremlin. Rubezhnoi lobbied for Kremlev to become the secretary general of the Russian Boxing Federation. He also helped Kremlev secure a private audience with Putin.

Kremlev did not waste his chance. He established a relationship with the Russian president, who bestowed him with the Order of Merit to the Fatherland, awarded for outstanding contributions to the state. Having established himself in Putin’s circle, Kremlev was reportedly gifted with “unlimited opportunities to make money.”

During Kremlev’s tenure with the Russian Boxing Federation, the group saw a significant increase in financial support from main sponsors such as the bookmaker company Liga Stavok and the National Lottery. According to Proekt, these entities are actually owned by Kremlev. Additionally, Rubezhnoi also engineered the nationalization of Rolf, Russia’s biggest car dealership, and then successfully lobbied the Kremlin to place the company under Kremlev’s control.

Kremlev, with the backing of his Kremlin allies, also gained control over the Russian betting market. In 2021, a decree signed by Putin appointed TsUPIS — a company gifted to Kremlev after its previous owner, the billionaire lawmaker Magomed Gadzhiyev, fled Russia for denouncing the war on Ukraine — as the sole operator of all bookmaker betting in the country. Kremlev also became the beneficiary of three of Russia’s largest betting companies: Fonbet, Pari and Liga Stavok. In return for his business success, Kremlev leveraged his position within the sporting world to further Russia’s political agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Is that meant to be a dig, we have Google interfering with US election search responses, we have Amazon interfering with Alexa US election vocal search responses.

Moscow is starting to look like a viable residency of the Dali lama.

Sports is now an absolute $hit$how, and its not that way not because of Russian or similar questionable nations, it’s because for some reason ideology now comes before common sense and facts.

You're correct but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ8hGgZi7Ek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It used to be that women being pissed off about men in their sports was because of "American right wing Christians". Now the Russian interference conspiracy is back in style. Couldn't just be that it's wrong and people are getting pissed off about women being denied fairness and opportunities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

JK Rowling has not been silenced at all as much as I am sure you would like her to be.

The defence to defamation is the truth - the DNA/chromosome test exists so when that comes out Khelif will owe JK a small fortune (well for them, for JK it's called what's down the sofa).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I wonder what's going to happen with the two athletes now. Khelif is 25 and Yu-Ting 28 so still plenty of time left on their careers and you'd imagine both would be looking to compete at the next Olympics or turn pro.

The IBA World Championships are in March but they're disqualified so won't be able to compete.

If they go pro it does look like the WBC are going to change their rules for eligibility to the women's category. Not sure if they've done it yet but they were talking about creating a new trans category.

I would imagine that what rugby have done will be the template for contact sports going forward. They have said they were looking at creating new rules for DSD athletes but don't think they've done that yet.

Advertisement