Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020-22 Edition

1838485868789»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Buyingahouse25

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Two or three explainable late fees or overlimits should be fine.

But get your credit report for free to give you piece of mind. I thought I was over the limit a few times and got charged late fees incorrectly a few times. I made my payments just after the incorrect statements and nothing showed up in my credit report. I actually did go a few euro over the limit one time but because I paid back in a respectable time frame that late fee never showed up on my credit report. One or two mistakes doesn't automatically show up your credit report. Depends what way your banks reporting works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ainm Cleite

I'm saving for a mortgage at the moment, and doing freelance work outside the day job to get extra money. I will have a fairly big tax bill to pay next year. I have been saving very ambitiously, but the most of the money for next year's tax bill will have to come out of my savings.

So I'm just wondering would withdrawing that money cause trouble when applying for a mortgage? Would it be better to save a bit less and put the tax money in a separate pot?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Your mortgage savings should be the same amount each month and you should never touch them. So, yes put the tax money in a separate account and put a bit extra away for the tax savings just in case you underestimate how much you owe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bridge45

Hi Self Build2024,

Did you manage to drawdown without land in your name? We are in the same position, applied end of January here we are in August and still land hasn’t been transferred to my name. One of the most frustrating process’ ever and between the banks/solicitor/land registry they are all working at snails pace.

We are at roof level now of the build and will most likely have to stop now until land is in my name as can’t pay anybody ….

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rita57

I would suggest get your credit report and go to a mortgage advisor at a brokers they will hopefully be able to provide you with an advice on how to proceed. It’s better to approach it this way rather than submitting an application to the lender and for them to see or read about it for the first time. Looks better if you approach it first (if your credit is an issue)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,281 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Overlimit fees are just charges for going over your credit card limit, it's not a strike on your credit report or anything.

Your credit report is just about your ability to pay back a loan and if you missed any payments.

Overlimit fees from 2 years ago won't have any relevance to your mortgage application as they won't be appearing on your 6 months of bank statements.

What you should be aware of though is overlimit fees on your current 6 months of bank statements that you're supplying to the bank. They aren't fond of them at all.

I had a couple of them in my bank statements and my mortgage broker shat me out about them. She made it work but she had to explain each one to the banks.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Quick question, whilst I know you can borrow up to 4 times your salary, I also understand that there is a % of available income that they apply a rule to. I think its around 25-34%? However, based on that calculation, 34% of a monthly income is significantly less than the monthly mortgage rate. Which takes preference?

EG: 5k Monthly Salary. Max 34% is €1700 per month. a 380K Mortgage over 27 years is €1900? So do banks allow the €1900 or just the €1700? If have happen to have a personal loan for say €500 per month, is that then €1400 or €1200 respectively, or what way does it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

Hard to give a definitive answer as most mortgages are nearly taken on a case by case basis. They will do a stress test to see if rates went up by a certain % (usually around 2.5%) can you continue to afford to pay the mortgage on your current salary. The % of your salary would only come into the equation if it was accounting for 65/70% of it.

A 5k a month salary would only qualify for a max of €240k of a mortgage so couldn't be near the 380 mark in your hypothetical scenario hence why it's difficult to provide you with a definitive answer without much more info.

I'd get in touch with a broker if you need concrete information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

No worries, at an 8k salary you'd have no issues obtaining a mortgage of €380k, myself and my partner are in a very similar financial position to yourself (slightly less net and a bit less loan amount per month) and flew through the AIP process being offered a mortgage max of €375k

Thanks for that. Would having another loan of €500 - €1000 per month massively influence this also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Middleage Fanclub

Sorry if this has been asked before, for a self build mortgage, when you draw down money from the bank, do they pay it directly to you, your solicitor or the builder? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

In my case, bank pay solicitor. Solicitor will transfer to you or direct to builder, whichever you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Wouldn't think 2022 will come into it if applying now. Also, are Avant not at 6 or 7% fixed these days?

• Advertisement

Post edited by extra-ordinary_ on

If the mortgage repayments go over the affordability threshold you could either extend the term or borrow less to bring down the repayments. If there's no actual leeway the bank will just offer you less than the full 4x amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Buyingahouse25

I don't think so, seeing 4.05% for the longer fixed or full terms and just under 4% for their shortest 4 year fixed. I wouldn't be looking at anything at 6 or 7%!

Advertisement