Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭twinytwo

This response is funny coming from you. You have even admitted yourself that those who cannot get work visas will come here via asylum. Use whatever term makes you feel better, does not change the situation - but as always circle that drain.

As you have shown, a lot of what "you think" is wrong.

If there is no criteria for a refugee how is it you expect all this to work?—- but then i suppose bringing the entire world here seems to be your thing.

Also the UK has nothing to do with us - so again not really relevant.

Post edited by twinytwo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

This is your claim, that: "The government, NGO's , asylum seekers and even the lefties on here have admitted that the majority are not genuine."

If you have something to support this claim feel free to share it.

I'm making the point, as I have done several times here, that none of us are aware how many asylum claim are 'genuine' or not. The only information I can see available is showing how many are adjudicated to have met the criteria, itself not truly an indication of a claim being genuine.

Yes these are UK country reports, used to aid in deciding asylum cases. I've seen similar published for other European countries. Perhaps Ireland uses a some way different approach but I can't see how a decision would be anyway reliable if the adjudicating officers weren't informed on the political, social and military conditions of the country a person is fleeing. Again feel free to provide further information on this if you have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Do you get paid by the word? I've never seen so much written with so little said.

We already have the tools, laws and indeed infrastructure to deal with human criminals.

We need only apply that existing process to AS. So yes a stroke of a pen if even.

How about, in as few a words as you can. Give us your proposed attempt at a better solution other than rambling?

It's not remotely clear what you're actually proposing we introduce 'at the stroke of a pen'?

Are you saying we should not allow IPAs full stop, and renege from the Geneva Convention? At a guess I'd say it would be technically possible but the consequences would be massive. Even actual far-right governments like Orban's don't do that, officially they just fail everybody's application and try to deport them.

I'll say it again, louder this time for those in the back.

DETAIN, PROCESS, DEPORT or GRANT STAY. Absolutely nothing needs to be reneged on re Geneva convention etc.

Simply apply logical due process to illegal entry to our country as is our right as a sovereign nation.

Its quite simple really, no idea why it causes so many on here such confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭rgossip30

'' The government is not considering two pay rates. The government wants to raise the minimum pay that a permit worker must earn. This means local workers can't be replaced by cheaper labour from outside the EU. ''

I am trying to get my head around this gaslighting responce to the link below. .

Well if the rates were the same the labour from outside the EU would not be cheaper !! There are 2 rates 13 per hour for EU and Irish , 15 per hour for non EU . The only reason for the change is to facilitate family reunification for non EU which will add to the numbers coming . I wonder how one would feel working for less than a new arrival .

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/2024/09/02/increased-pay-rates-for-work-permit-holders-could-lead-to-inequality-and-racial-tensions-minister-told/#:~:text=In%20the%20end%2C%20the%20increases,permits%20went%20ahead%20as%20planned&text=Inequality%20and%20increased%20racial%20tensions,the%20start%20of%20this%20year.

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭baldbear

In Germany If your application for asylum has been accepted you can work but in good old Paddy land after 5 months you can work. This has to be a major draw for people to abuse our asylum system.

If you have no documents, come in via the UK after been there months/years you should not be allowed work until your status has been decided. Absolute banana stuff from our government.

So your logic is it should be legal to enter by any means and this will work as a deterrant .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,118 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's a fair point but lack of supply is the real problem, not so much the demand. Treating population growth, even strong growth, as an aberration and something that actively needs to be stamped out may not be the wisest of ideas - any country that is depopulating is usually in absolute rag order and on the ropes.

Yeah better to have the country in rag order through unnatural engineered population growth.

• Advertisement

What's all this about a 'simple stroke of the pen' so?

What exactly do you want to change?

I'm not proposing any deterrent measures. It doesn't look to me that they've worked elsewhere, at least in a way we could consider here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,612 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭prunudo

The same people cheering this on, also give out when there is no ipas accommodation for recently arriving asylum seekers. Despite what is claimed, these families in Borrisokane have not integrated into the community. Yes they may attend schools, local clubs etc. They haven't been able to stand on their own feet and been able to move into other accommodation.

We are constantly told that asylum seekers are a benefit to the country and will not be a drain on state accommodation or social wlefare, once their status is confirmed and they can work. But this clearly is not the case.

How exactly are you making the association between IPAs in Borrisokane, and IPAs in general being a drain on state accommodation and social welfare?

I've had a look on daft.ie and there's currently only one property available for rent in the area.

Have you anything at all to support this, or is it just more of the same tiresome and predictable IPA bashing?

Well we've had lots of experience of this, even in the last three decades. The country was depopulating in the late 1980s and again in the early to mid 2010s - nearly always accompanied by recession and high unemployment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

How come its always the people who are against our current immigration policy have to back up their claims? Yet when the NGOs like the Refugee council of Ireland and other bleeding hearts make statements they are allowed to go unchallenged. When they are challenged they scream racism and xenophobia. The same with a lot of posters on here who have their heads buried in the sand.

I have serious concerns over our capacity to help genuine refugees and migrants when we simply cannot house our own. I have concerns about any refugee or foreigner entering our country without any background checks whatsoever being carried out. I'm not racist however. I am a realist. There are serious criminals who have entered our borders due to the government and EU policy of accepting anyone and everyone and we have no way of tracking them. That is true. I'm not racist.

Funny that you use the word tiresome! The system is mess, it is close to collapse and is being milked from all angles, I can't help you, if you can't see this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Immigrant families in Borrisokane given a reprieve by the Minister, the system works…After a phone call from the Labour party's Spokesperson on Agriculture Food and the Marine, Committee on Public Accounts Alan Kelly too I'm sure....

And with the 100 or so locals in the town who protested in support of them, will raise funds or open their own spare rooms for the immigrants…

https://www.thejournal.ie/borrisokane-ipas-6480145-Sep2024/

• Advertisement

Its a terrible situation for them, but they've been put up for 5 years in accommodation, which is meant for asylum seekers. At some point, the decision has to be made to move them to other accommodation wherever or whenever it becomes available, but for whatever reason, there seems to be this view that accommodation or location provided for them is there forever home.

You mean people emigrate during recessions?

Or people stop immigrating during recessions?

Or both? I'd say both. But I'm still struggling to understand your point.

We have too little infrastructure for current population. Be it health, housing or transport. Your solution is build more of this to meet demand from external population increase.

I'd agree with build more of this infrastructure but also decrease external population growth. That way you attack from both ends amd solve your problem quicker.

And please spare your fingers the typing that the people in tents on the canals will help build houses or work in the HSE.

We don't even know their real names amd half of them can't speak English. So let's just all act like adults while discussing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Sure Nigeria to take an example with a population of 232 mil and rising 7-10 mil per year, by 2050 it's expected to be around 377mil must be heading for boomtimes... I don't think so, this is the opposite to depopulation, funny how the absolute unsustainability of this situation ie bringing large families into grinding poverty is never mentioned especially by the greens... Any country whose population is stagnant or increasing slowly and pragmatically both for financial and societal cohesion reasons will be OK in the long run Imv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2024/0905/1468364-one-in-three-companies-struggling-to-find-skilled-staff/

One in three companies are struggling to find staff with the right skills, new research shows.

It's always amusing when some lefties start bleating how the country needs immigration to fill the skills gap.

The reality is that they just really love immigration and any excuse that enables more of it will be grasped firmly. The issue of the skills gap is a complete non-sequitur.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭engineerws

A secret briefing paper from the Department of Justice said the State urgently needed to resume deportations as the majority of applicants for international protection were economic migrants.

The above has been posted multiple times. Are you saying it's misinformation and can you furnish any evidence to that affect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,680 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

We all know that the vast majority of AS are bogus.

There is no debate about that.

The Ministers have stated this is the case, that they actually are economic migrants.

The AS themselves openly admit it, when interviewed.

Can we move on from debating something that has been established for years?

My question is: why does it take 68 weeks to first decision on asylum application?

Why so long?

I thought population growth was good for an economy .

The current booming economy and full employment is tied in with strong net immigration. It's not a coincidence that they are all happening at the same time. Every time the country goes into recession, the net immigration figure falls dramatically (or even goes into net migration i.e. more people leaving the country than arriving).

It's a fine balancing act: try and actively curtail the net immigration rate and it will immediately impact on the economy negatively. But the issue of there not being enough housing and infrastructure for the rapidly growing population is also very real. There are no easy answers here : a smaller economy or less workers available to do the jobs that are on offer could well mean people having less money in their pockets. The booming economy and budget surplus is dependent on a large, fully employed workforce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You're failing to understand cause and effect.

Immigration didn't cause the booming economy, it's the other way around. A few tech companies in Ireland are creating much of the wealth and jobs, which in turns yields windfall taxation for the government. Some migrants (those with skills and education) will be a part of creating that, but the majority are not creating anything.

The UK has had massive immigration in the last decade, but their economy has essentially flat-lined since the financial crisis of 2007. Immigration has broadly acted as a weight on the economy there, most migrants are doing nothing to create GDP per capita, many are dependent on the state in various ways. It's clear migration by itself isn't beneficial to an economy.

The fine balance you are talking about should be distinguishing between those migrants who can bring something to benefit the country and those who cannot.

• Advertisement

That's a briefing paper from an unknown figure, or figures, within a department.

It's not government position, and the author(s) don't even seem particularly well versed on how deportations operate.

Advertisement