Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster House Bicycle Shed

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

A bespoke job with many variables and unknowns can creep.

Stakeholders are informed and excess costs agreed or not.

Agreed?

This is a bike shed.

A small project with proven history of technologies, materials and outputs used.

Unless they had delays for finding Lord Lucan or Shergar under the pavement, then we can't see how this "crept".

And if there was a creep of project for a specific reason, I imagine we would have been told by now.

Unless they, like me, don't know how to have a conversation.

Finally, to safeguard materials and procurement costs, they should have hired a Quantity Surveyor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I wonder how they ever got on with the printer that wouldn't fit in the room it was supposed to go in. Would it fit in the "bike shed" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You are the one in an echo chamber because I am asking about the scenario with known details. You do not know why the shed cost so much or what happened for the costs to go up. I am asking you in my scenario who is to blame and who gets fired? You have never answered this.

Your call for “fraud squad” is starting off with the assumption that there was fraud. How do you think you know how much it cost to build? Because the information is available and it is being investigated. You don’t seem to be aware there are systems in place to check proper procedures are followed. People do get reprimanded for not following them. It is obvious what happened needs investigation before any claims of fraud are made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Maybe they actually built 3 sheds and some people came along and insisted the design was wrong and needed to be changed. Nobody here knows what happened yet and are casting blame all over. So many variables but don’t be so sure that an individual is the cause. Maybe the security reasons are sound and it designed to withstand bombs or had to be reworked because of such dangers.
    i don’t know and you don’t know but it is clear given an example of how prices can rise you couldn’t say who should be held responsible

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So in your view, the fraud squad should now expected to look into all procurement spend by government bodies that exceeds €330k?
    So in one swoop you have undermined the procurement staff within those bodies and you've also tied up a garda team from their regular work.

Similar to Ray Palmer's point, I have worked on projects that were well scoped and managed and yet still met unforseen challenges that added significant costs to the project. Should someone have been sacked for those despite nobody actually having done anything incorrect, misleading or fraudulent? Although I'm in the private sector, should I be fearful that one day I potentially could face fraud charges for working on a project that managed to exceed the budget?

Also, if the fraud squad (in your view) were involved in investigating public sector contracts, would many private sector companies want to tender for contracts over €330k and if there were less companies prepared to bid for the work (because of the potential having to deal with the fraud squad), surely this would make the market less competitive and drive up the costs of large scale projects?

Surely, it would be easier for us (and less embarrasing for you) if you admitted that you really haven't a clue what you're on about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Can't believe there's people actually trying to defend the cost.... the price of house to build a bike shed roof for 18 bikes... there is no excuse. And using fancy or exotic materials while the country is in massive debt with all the issues we have... it speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Equating this level of gombeenery to a major or large scale project is not comparing apples to apples. At some point the cost has to be explained and if anybody can stand over a bike shed costing 330K plus should have their ducks in a row. Its entirely reasonable that the cost could have exploded for any number of reasons but we will never know who approved this and the connections underneath..thats the thing that galls the majority of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

€4,800,000 doesn't sound like value for money for a steel shed mate

• Advertisement

You, are all over the place.

We were discussing scope and cost creep.

You were acting as apologist and telling me and others that open-cheques exist for such projects.

Now, you are not only backpedaling, but cycling erratically all over the place and now saying we don't know the reasons.

EXACTLY!! That's why most of us are here. We.... don't....know…the... reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭fliball123

how is it toothless if it has the power to stop something like this before it happens

Save a lot of text.

Yes, if you were in procurement and spent a significant amount of money on something which is an out of trend cost, by a long shot, yes, you should be held accountable.

Fair enough?

So, what has happened here with the shed?

Out of trend?

We just want to know the cost/overrun/tender process and breakdown.

Fair enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭coldcake

This story will go nowhere. The OPW have form here, remember John O'Donoghue's curtains.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/those-mindblowing-expenses-and-where-they-all-went/27928022.html

The OPW spend like there is no tomorrow and think the spend is totally justifiable if it fits the architectural style etc. The OPW live in cloud cuckoo land. There must have been another site on the grounds that was not so visible to the public where they could of put a much cheaper option in. But no the OPW go mad spending the cash. It's like they are living out their fantasy of how they would design their own place if money was no obstacle. Totally detached from reality. I'm almost feeling sorry for O'Donoghue now, my god!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Needmoretea

It would be grand if I was paying for my own kitchen counter top. I could do what I like, have it sprinkled in unicorn dust, whatever! This is tax payers money though , and people deserve an explanation. To add to that, the bike shed does not even look fit for purpose, it's still exposes the bikes to the elements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

36 bikes

Anyway, if I was a betting man I bet a small fraction of the cost announced actually went on the bike shelter. The majority probably went on car park resurfacing that was handily slipped in under this line item.

• Advertisement

Around 10k per space... wouldn't mind but doesn't look like it would stop the sideways rain we get over here... if they ever explain it, it should be fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

What’s wrong with bikes being exposed to the elements?

They’re designed to be used outside. They don’t suddenly become vulnerable when there’s no one sitting on them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Bikes have exposed steel parts. It's not good for a bike to be stored outside, just as it's not 'good' for a bike to be used in the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭ledwithhedwith

no offence intended but why bother saying things that are factually wrong. The secgen or minister would not have to sign off on a 300k contract. You are a few rungs off, I don’t think you realise the scope of public spending.

Post edited by ledwithhedwith on

Is that official 36?

Reason being that many of these U bars I have seen spaced, make it difficult or not possible to get 2 per slot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I'm always left wondering how this actually happens….

• At what level does something like this get signed off? Do political appointees get to see it and are too dimwitted to recognise the PR implications
    • Does it even get to a level where there is political oversight or is it purely in the hands of the civil servants
    • Do the civil servants even care about the budget they are responsible for
    • Is it just a couple of vindictive civil servants who what to embarrass the government
    • Is there political involvement in the granting of the contract
    • Are civil servants implicated in the granting of the contract
    • Is the controls so broken that something like this can happily find its way through the approval system
    • Are civil servants raising the red flag, but being overruled

Of course it is ultimately correct that political appointees are held responsible for the actions of their government, but give the large salary bill for the civil service, plus the budget responsibility they hold, it would be nice to have some kind of assessment as to their competence and our ability to hold them directly responsible for their actions.

There are (as far as I can see) 18 Sheffield stands. It *should* be possible to lock two bikes to each one.

I'm not equating the cost of this project to anything. I'm merely pointing out that insisting on the fraud squad to get involved in any project over €330k is just a stupid idea.

Again, you are asking me to address something I did not state.

Yes, the cost of this project is not acceptable, what was received is not fit for purpose and we have no idea of how or why it was decided to approve this (although I agree that the speculation about resurfacing the car park is probably correct). However, my post clearly was not referencing this aspect and was responding to a daft suggestion by another poster of mandating the fraud squad to investigate any public spend over €330k.

Based on their competency track record to date, we'll assume 18 for now then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Who cares, realistically who's going to cycle there from the current Government anyways, Ivana Bacik? Eamonn Ryan after her gets dropped off on Merrion row by his Garda driver and pedals the 2 mins down the road?

Will be empty for half the year with all the holidays they get too..

ah, that old chestnut about ryan again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Point was that the Thornton Hall waste of money was not on McDowell's watch.

Debate on prison reform another time another thread.

not on his watch? thornton hall was bought when he was minister.

a 150 acre site was bought for 30 million. That is ten times the price per acre what land in the area now fetches. Regardless of whether it was subsequently used, that was an eye watering price to pay for what is still agricultural land.

i assume you're claiming the waste of money was that the site wasn't used; if someone makes a bad decision, it's special pleading to blame it on subsequent ministers who decided not to compound the original mistake.

FWIW, 84 acres is currently for sale nearby asking €1.5m. that's a site over half the size, asking one twentieth the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Speaking generally, this level of spending gets signed off at PO or PO higher level or equivalent. Political appointees do not review spending at this level.

Civil servants typically do care a lot about the budget of whatever type of project they are running be that infrastructure or whatever else and do try to come in within it. No one sets out to cause an overrun. It's frankly absurd to suggest that any project is overrun intentionally to embarrass the government.

In accordance with the public spending code and infrastructure guidelines, ordinarily spending requires a business case, and it should be updated as a project goes through decision gates, or whatever they are called now.

There is no political involvement in the awarding of contracts.

As for the awarding of contracts and what's broken, maybe we should wait and see what the money was spent on? Perhaps there was some unexpected difficulties, or something else that needed to be done as part of the works. I'm sure the OPW will be in front of PAC soon enough over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Needmoretea

Nothing wrong as such but for that cost you would think they would have a bit more cover

• Advertisement

They will deteriorate faster in rain.

Aside, it is a big plus for a cyclist to don or dof gear and leave helmet in a sheltered spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

aye…my pish is well and truely boiled…and if/when the next re-session hits some gobshite will come out with "but sure we all partied!" eh..no,we didnt,ye bunch of fcukwits pished it all away…

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Aye sure we're just dealing with an unelected bureaucracy that has no accountability and spends taxpayers money as if it were monopoly money, they don't care and aren't bothered by Govt. Ministers who can give as many soundbites to the media as they like cos it will make zero difference at all.. no consequences..

As Einstein says:

“Bureaucracy is the death of any achievement”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Lets me guess the outcome of this. No one will be strung up for it.

Same as always.

Who quoted and who agreed to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

20k for this installed. Where is the other 330k so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Thornton Hall site in North County Dublin/ Meath is going to be used by IPAS to accommodate up to 1,000 asylum seekers. This site was originally supposed to be for a supermax prison which we badly need as our prisons are full atm.

Lots of prisoners getting out on early release etc

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0902/1467807-thornton-hall/

It was still bought at a stupid price by a former minister who is now complaining about the price our governments pay for things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What town has  cycle lanes and footpaths that are wider than the roads please? Cycle lanes close to schools would be a good thing, for all those kids who cycle to school, right?

Not true. Sec Gen would typically have approval limits of €1m, though it could well be larger in OPW given their core business. No Ministerial signoff would be needed for a project of this size. I suspect it was signed off at PO level in OPW, though no doubt there's a ton of FOIs in at the moment to answer the specifics.

It is however, up to the Minister to ensure that there are appropriate procedures in place to ensure value for money, which doesn't seem to have happened in this case.

• Advertisement

There's a lot more people working in Leinster House than politicians.

I know the plans - I pass the site several times a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

20k for this installed. Where is the other 330k so?

By installed you do know that means just bolted down to an existing structure, right?

The drainage and ground works, surface finish that surrounds the shed isn't included right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭floorpie

"Value for money" yes certainly. This doesn't mean "lowest cost" as many seem to be assuming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭scottser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

are all those works confirmed, as been part of it? I'm looking at a concrete pad and strucutre in any images I see.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. When the Minister of Finance is on about "lowest cost" you can only shudder.

IMO in no way should 335K have been spent on works on what effectively is a shelter for bicycles.

It should have been put out of the way no where near the facade of the building. That doesn't mean it had to be a tatty shelter fúcked on some tarmacadam down the back either.

The news cycle has pretty much run it's course on this story, the politicians have all aired how aghast they are, so it will be interesting to see if it resurfaces to some degree with an actual cost breakdown and explanation.

I'd be pretty sure the whole thing snow balled and once conservationists got involved that's when the budget ballooned.

The one positive is, the finish is premium they obviously got in decent contractors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's not a concrete pad, it's white Irish granite which is €€€€€

You know, even if it's all accounted for due to buying the most expensive concrete they could find, for an average of 4.5 people using it a day, in the middle of a housing crisis, with overflowing hospitals and prisons, who honestly went "€335k during all this for a bike canopy? Certainly!"...

Just highlights that the government and the peons are living in different worlds... I'd imagine on a rainy day, there won't be a single bit of that glorified roof that will stay dry...

Someone now do an FOI of how much it costs the state to give all TDs and ex-TDs free parking - for life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement