Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

1596061626365»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Started the arduous task of cleaning out 20+ years of gunk from the Club Kart Prize that I purchased off of here recently.

(Yes, it's currently in 500,000 pieces all over my flat right now).

Cleaned up the inside of the base unit, the subwoofer / test service unit and the the steering wheel CP.

Here's what it looked like before I started:

Just to clarify, those are the before pictures! :-D

Here some of the pieces are after a cleanup last night:

Will likely work on the frame and monitor bezel later today. The screen itself just needs a bit of a dusting and a wipe with some glass cleaner.

I also need to do some work on the screen itself as the neckboard seems to have a bit of an issue with the reds being dialled up far too high.

Every other pot on the neckboard works apart from the one for red so I'm going to assume it's a cold solder joint that I just need to reflow.

If I have the energy this weekend I'll make the extra space in the flat that I need by moving some stuff around to give me the space to finally start putting the unit back together after its initial disassembly to fit it up the two flights of stairs.

One of my mates that helped me to disassemble the unit actually documented the disassembly too, would anybody be interested in seeing that?

I could easily throw it into an Imgur album as I think posting 20+ pictures on here would be annoying to view on this platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Looks like a nice project that'll clean up well, & made better by the fact that you've got some nostalgic connection to it.

As for Imgur, I never click onto those hosting sites myself….A dedicated thread for it with pics and some chat imo is far more appealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,281 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Definitely do a restore thread! Perfect reason to.

Master of the Universe

Any of you guys ever try doing a bit of work on a VCR?

I've had a 1985 Mitsubishi HS-337 in the attic in storage for a few years, it's the exact same as the one we had when I was a kid. Might remember a while ago my mam found the remote for it in the coal bunker in the garden - I cleaned it up and it was registering inputs on the VCR. Delighted so I was.

The VCR was switching on but wasn't accepting tapes. More than likely just needed the belts changed.

Bought some replacement belts for it last week. From these guys:

https://webspareparts.com/

Lucky there weren't too many in this one, only three.

Should have been a quick enough change, however there's a bit of an issue with this - the old original belts from the mid 80s turn to a substance that can only be described as putty.

I took the back off and there were bits of belt everywhere. It's absolutely horrible stuff. You see the below, pick it up and it just turns to mush in your fingers. Was clogging up loads of the mechanical parts. Had to spend ages cleaning it all out.

You can really see how bad it is here simply by how black my fingers are from picking it all out.

One of the new belts in and working.

Reassembled to see how we're fixed and so far so good, it's now accepting tapes, prepping them for playing and also ejecting perfectly

BUT!

We now have a 'DEW' warning on the display. It's actually really interesting discovering more about the tech as you go along. VCRs have a moisture censor in them as exposed tape will actually stick to the drum if it's in any way wet resulting in your tape being chewed up.

I'd assumed it was because I took it down out of the attic and some moisture had built up, so tried drying it out with a hair dryer but no look so far. Am hoping 24 hours later it may have solved itself.

If not, it might be the moisture censor having gone bad. I was looking through some PCB schematics last night to see if I could figure out which component it actually is but no look so far. Saw a few internet forum entries about the topic saying it looks like a small grey square about half the size of a postage stamp with two wires coming out of it but there's nothing like that visible at all.

If it has gone bad, you can potentially replace one or even just bridge it to bypass the thing entirely. Just have to locate where it is!

We'll see how it goes anyway sitting out for a bit longer.. but yeah! Interesting to play about with. Another thing I didn't know is there's a little infared censor post inside the main tray that shoots a beam across. When you break the beam putting the tape it it tells the deck to engage the gears to accept the tape the rest of the way. I thought maybe that had broken but could see the infa red light out of it by looking through my phone camera. Mad to think stuff like that's still working almost 40 years later.

Master of the Universe

After another couple of hours this evening searching high and low for this dew sensor I finally found the bloody thing!

See the two blue cables? It's the tiny grey tab connected to them beside the motor. Was hidden away under some shielding.

Apparently there's no set place where these things are located machine to machine, it can be fairly random.

Traced it back to its PCB and did the usual cleaning / reseating connectors but no joy.

I removed it entirely and replaced it with a single wire bridging the connection but it just results in the whole unit shut down. On the plus side though hopefully that means the actual circuit is working, just the little detector that has gone bad.

I think you can still buy them so will try sticking a new one in and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Did you try just disconnecting it without a bridge wire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭Tow

It looks like a old photocell! KeRbDoG is right, I assume the resistance lowers the damper it gets so disconnecting it would make sense. Even a squirt of IPA on it to dry out any moisture may help. If you can find its data sheet, it should show the expected resistance values.

Added close up photo. Looks like carbon paint, basically a resistor. I would not be shorting this out, may cause more damage.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I did yeah, it's actually wired to a little plastic connector so the first thing I did before removing it from the unit was pop that out. The dew warning persisted unfortunately!

Thanks for that! Seems I had my logic backwards haha. I was thinking the VCR might expect a solid signal between both points and when damp gets on the sensor, it cuts the signal.

Was why I tried shorting it but that just puts the VCR into protection mode.

I tried some IPA on it too alright but no luck.

Will maybe try reflowing the connections on the sensor and leaving it to dry out for a few days further to see if it changes anything.

In the meantime I bought a few replacement sensors from China (they literally still manufacturer everything don't they??) so will try that as the next step.

If that doesn't work the I take it there's a bad component somewhere a little further along.

Master of the Universe

Update on these SNES region adapters, perhaps give them a miss.

I was trying out my new modded 1chip SNES and the pico fuse in it blew. Not something I've ever seen a SNES do.

I did have the region adapter running fine with my Super Famicom so it's not necessarily the cause, however it would be a massive coincidence if it wasn't. (games were running fine, I put the region adapter in as a physical bypass for a US game and then the console wouldn't switch on)

All sorted now but I think I might be finding an alternative solution for my US SNES games. Might finally cave and buy a US SNES.

You could by a US Snes Junior? Not as hideous as the regular one, and has comparable video output to a 1chip afaik?

OR….give that badly yellowed SFC a new home inside this…

https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005007212175033.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2vnm4itemAdapt

^^ Replacement shell for SFC with universal Snes cart slot

Master of the Universe

If only the originals rolled out of the factory like that, eh?

Actually if that's 1:1 (which I'd imagine it must be if it's made for real hardware to be transplanted) I wonder could you use the cart slot section as a replacement on the real thing?

Would just need to spray it the correct shade of grey and away you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Full 3D scan of the separate parts. Would need some editing to do the job though.

https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/super-famicom-pal-snes-console-scan.5499/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

a few weeks back I made myself a small 3d printed mod to fit a 4.3 inch composite screen on a PcEngine .
    Comes with a small audio amp and small speakers
    I posted the model and all the aliexpress link to all the parts on thingyverse if anyone fancies trying to build one :)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6707757

Dug out the Sega Dreamcast over the weekend to try the translation of 'Rent a Hero' (o1s1n mentioned it on here) to find my clone GDEmu was giving me problems. So it isn't the clone device, but rather the SD card extender so it can be mounted/presented nicely.

Seemily the C2 capactor on the sd card extender board can give issues, vague info here, so I replaced that. Unsure if that improved anything but found the issue is more how the extender sd card sits in the GDEmu - it is very hit/miss. You can install the SD card direct in the GDEmu with no issues. I'm sure after the console gets a bump it will act up again. Might get/print another mount and buy a new extender card in the future to replace as I don't really fancy hacking up the board.

Master of the Universe

I've heard of a lot of people having issues with those SD card extenders. My setup is barebones, just have the GDEmu with the SD card going directly into it.

Was actually going to get an extender and the 3d printed holder for it as I was reading it actually helps direct cooling from the fan to the PSU (without the holder or the optical drive all the cool air just exits through the hole where the drive was)

Enjoy Rent a Hero by the way! First Dreamcast game I've played through start to finish in years, definitely a bit of a laugh.

tbh, keeping it barebones might make a whole lot more sense. Could print this 'barebone' tray which means you still use the GDEmu SD card slot, keep the airflow around the machine/psu and not risk the chance of an SD card falling into the console when inserting or removing it :D

Update - works great!

On the game, yup - it kicked into the opening song. Games need to not take themselves seriously more often!

Post edited by KeRbDoG on

Master of the Universe

That's really cool, I'll have to see if I can source one of of them. Yeah the SD card falling into the console is definitely an annoyance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Where is everyone getting their 3d prints like this dreamcast tray? I've around 20 things to get printed. I hear "jlcpcb" are good but it might be cheaper to buy a printer myself in the long run. Just nowhere to keep it.

Head over to 3D Printing Ireland Facebook group and I'm sure you'll find someone close enough to you willing to do it for a reasonable price. I'm the admin there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3dprintingireland

Master of the Universe

The absolute gent that is Kerbdog printed out one of those Dreamcast trays for me, it indeed works a charm and is super easy to install. Thanks dude!

First piece screws down under the GDEMU.

Second piece clicks into the lid to form this shape

No more gaping hole in the console.

This should redirect that much needed cool air from the fan back to the PSU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,071 ✭✭✭Doge

I haven't seen blue speckled filament like that before!

Brings a whole different meaning to looking minty fresh! 😁

Master of the Universe

Haha! I was thinking exactly the same thing. Can't help but think of mint when you see blue specks in white like that.

Have any of you guys ever tried Novus acrylic and plastic scratch remover? It's fantastic stuff.

I've had an old marquee that came with one of my cabinets aeons ago and it's always been scratched to bits. It's ancient so to be expected.

The scratches were actually making the light refract and really impact the clarity.

Bought myself one of these kits:

Novus Scratch Removal Kit

It's a three stage kit. First you apply the deep scratch remover, than a fine scratch remover and finally a buff/sealing coat at the end.

There are still some deep scratches but it's dramatically improved the clarity.

You can really see the light spreading out through the whole marquee rather than getting trapped in all those scratches under the artwork in the first photo.

Been looking around the house now to see if there's anything else I can use it on 😁

Novus is good stuff alright. If you get yourself some VuPlex and polish and buff that acrylic you will see an even bigger improvement (as well as adding a layer of protection to it).

I always make sure I have a good amount of Novus, VuPlex and 303 protectant as there's always something that needs one of them in the retro collection.

Master of the Universe

Oh nice one! VuPlex was one of the other products that came up when I was searching for something to use, will check it out 👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Amiga 600 had a broken disk drive head so decided to get a Gotek-On-Pills floppy emulator for it, they're a little more expensive than a regular gotek but have support for OSD & keyboard control built in.

Typical with these things, fired it up to discover no audio :(

Thankfully finding the culprit was fairly simple, burnt opamp was a good clue..

Lash in a new one and swap out the caps for SMD ones, was recapped when I got it but ah they didn't look correct. Probably could have fitted the opamp a bit straighter but works well enough :)

The gotek is great, nice to be able to use the keyboard to cycle thru the list of ADF's. The OSD does stay on a bit too long for my liking, need to take a look to see if its configurable or have to resort to firmware tweaks.

Haven't fixed anything in absolutely ages, even my Hakko was plugged out been so long since I'd used it. Hopefully the Saab clutch will be as easy :)

Advertisement