Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French man accused of drugging his wife and inviting men to rape her

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Maybe discuss the case itself, instead of how dangerous men are ….

Then we might be able to have a serious , adult conversation ……

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Well 70+ is a heck of a lot of men. Or are you trying to spin that comment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

is the advertisement only targeting wife beaters who are already predisposed to criminal acts or will the advertisement be seen by all walks of life, including young children and young adults who have not formed their sexual identities or their convictions about what is moral and ethical and legal to them.

In certain US states, for example, marital rape is shockingly legal. Because of this, you may find in states where it is illegal, people have the mistaken notion that it is legal in their jurisdiction. if you ran advertisement campaigns to raise public awareness of the crime, surely you would reduce the incident rate, and even cause women who see the ad advertisement to report their abusers, who may otherwise have been deceived into believing that what their husband was doing, could not be stopped by official means.

From the NYT:

The trial comes at a moment of heightened scrutiny of the handling of sexual crimes in the country. Rape is defined in French law as an “act of sexual penetration” committed “by violence, coercion, threat or surprise.” A number of feminist lawmakers want to amend that wording to say explicitly that sex without consent is rape, that consent can be withdrawn at any time, and that consent cannot exist if sexual assault is committed “by abusing a state impairing the judgment of another.”

“There is a kind of naïveté on the topic of predators in France, a kind of denial,” said Sandrine Josso, a lawmaker who led a parliamentary commission into what is known in France as “chemical submission” — drugging someone with malicious intent. She started the commission after she says she became the victim of a drugging last year. A senator is being investigated on accusations that he slipped Ecstasy into her Champagne

Why are you misrepresenting the OP in order to get offended? Clearly the heck of a lot of men is the 70+ who took advantage of this situation. Again, only rapists are getting bashed on this thread. Yes, rapists tend to be men, that doesn't equate to bashing men.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Can you quantify a heck of a lot. You seem to use a lot of words that can be interpreted either way. A sly way of protesting your innocence. So step off that sideline and give us a figure

That point was destroyed numerous times already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

I think there's quite a range of other options from where are we now, to the suggestions above. For what it's worth, all I'm suggesting is a bit of understanding where they are coming from. As I said above, I don't have the answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TokTik

If you have it in you, you have it in you.

How much have we spent on drug awareness towards young people over the past few decades and the country is awash with drugs?? Have the ads worked??

• Advertisement

Will a drunk driver think of changing their ways after seeing the enormous pain it has caused the victims families on TV ads?

no you are misrepresenting the original poster. They’ve made it clear through their history of post in the thread that they are talking about a larger number of men than the number of perpetrators. In this case they are making it out that this happened in a small locality, and therefore the problem extrapolates out to quote a heck of a lot of men within any given locality that must be panicked over. There is enough misinformation being thrown around in this thread without you adding more.

Post edited by Overheal on

Read the thread from the start for the full answer. Thanks.

Do you not think 70+ men committing this horrible crime on one woman is not a heck of a lot of men? Do you know where all the men came from?

• Advertisement

studies continue to show the positive impact of DUI awareness campaigns though.

So why waste money on it then? Why waste money on trying to police it if it doesn't make a difference?

It's not often posters actually read back and admit they were wrong so fair play to you for that.

Depends on the campaigns and the nature of them. Studies show for drug awareness not all campaigns are made alike, some reduce, some increase (like the US D.A.R.E. Program) and about half of campaigns showed negligible effect either way:

“Studies were considerably heterogeneous in type of mass-media intervention, outcome measures, underlying theory, comparison groups and design. Such factors can contribute to explaining the observed variability in results. Owing to the risk of adverse effects, caution is needed in disseminating mass-media campaigns tackling drug use. Large studies conducted with appropriate methodology are warranted to consolidate the evidence base.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4563251/

Drug abuse is a bit different to the other two examples we’re mentioning, drug abuse overwhelmingly involves self-harm, which I think bears noting in how effective the campaigns may be.

surely we aren’t discussing an end to sexual assault awareness campaigns anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GSBellew

You completely missed (or more likely ignored) the point that people of either sex are capable of evil acts & there is no reliable way to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

While its necessary work and work that adds to society; you couldn't pay me enough to be a detective investigating this.

Imagine the endless hours of reading messages between vile (unts, video watching, interviewing said (unts.

Years of your life spent looking at the worst of humanity can't be good for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Please stop quoting me please….

Im done with this hyperbolic chamber of a thread… So please stop dragging me back in…….

And why are you cleaning up after the OP's mess, and they have gone…
    Slán arís ….

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

You don’t need to be so facetious, thank you for admitting you were trying to whitewash what the OP was saying about men writ large.

Why did you even bother posting if you had nothing of value to add? The same as all the posters who are asking what are they expected to do about rapists or that it's pointless trying to stop them.

If you have no ideas on how to tackle this serious issue then you don't have to say anything. If trying to change the culture which allows these rapists to exist offends you then that's an issue you have to deal with.

Stop trying to shout down people who want things to change, who dare state the fact that nearly all rapists are men. This is a fact, misrepresenting the statement of this fact as an attack on all men is disgusting. You may not care enough to try to reduce the rate of sexual assaults on women, if so then just say nothing. The angry, deceitful, whataboutery posts and comments happen whenever this topic is raised in public or on the internet. It's not helping any woman who has been attacked or may be attacked anyway, it helps the rapists in this world who thrive under the current culture.

My thoughts exactly. I’ve a friend who was killed by a drunk driver, and have been hit by one too. Friends killer got his license back as soon as he was released after 4 years, against the wishes of the Gardaí and I followed the guy who hit me, watched him fall out of his jeep and go around the side to take a pi55 whilst on the phone to the Gardaí, asked them if I should take his keys and was told no, just to drive to their station so they could see the damage. We aren’t a serious country.

Research on the effectiveness of the ads is mixed. Having stricter laws has definitely helped though. Education is the key when it comes to drink driving and also with the topic of this thread. Sexual education needs to change big time in schools. Boys especially need to be taught about the right and wrong behaviour towards girls and women. But it should be in classes with both present if they're mixed schools. These rapists aren't just born that way. They grow and exist around us. Something is making them feel comfortable to exist. A whole societal change not only in Ireland but globally is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I'm trying to spin nothing, that was in the opening post. 70+ men from the same town would be a lot (I don't know what 'a heck of a lot of men' is). 70+ men from France would not. Is this explained in a manner you can understand ?

70+ men to rape 1 woman is a heck of a lot of men and not one of them said anything. Instead of trying to downplay and twist what was said, how an you suggest something that might help to stop these rapists from existing in our society?

• Advertisement

No need to bother arguing with the 3rd party poster that is trying to explain away the agenda of the OP, the OP has spoken for themselves: assume the worst of men everywhere and be suspicious of them, assume all men met are perverts, make this a problem men writ large are to blame for and exclusively to deal with, etc,

"Not all men", sure - but it turns out, "a heck of a lot of men" all the same, when the opportunity presents itself.

So unless there's some reason to think that particular small town and its surroundings make up some sort of "Little Britain" incestuous village - which AFAIK there isn't, then it's probably the same everywhere. Which means there are a lot of men living normal lives who are eager to rape an unconscious woman as long as her husband isn't going to punch their lights out.

They were all recruited locally [citation missing]. That means a lot of ordinary-looking men in a smallish area are in fact men with that predisposition. I don't see how to avoid concluding from that, that a lot more men than I certainly ever imagined are in fact predisposed to such acts.

But I am genuinely shocked to the core by this, and it's true I'm struggling to know how women are supposed to be able to continue to assume the best of men in general in light of it.

Not because I think it's all men, or even most men. But it's clearly far more men than I had ever imagined, (there was a similar thing in South Korea recently too, of men selling nude photos of their daughters to other men) so yes I'm actually rather shaken by it.

I'm not disputing that it's still a minority. But it's no longer sensible to go on assuming that it's a tiny minority. It's a significant number of men who appear to be perfectly normal - and that horrifies me.

This case shows that, while clearly not all men are on those sites, plenty of "ordinary" men are. And for women, that is terrifying.

Fast moving thread, I don't know what question that is. And you certainly have not replied to mine, which I asked ages ago: in practice, how are women to tell which ordinary seeming men are the perverts, and how should that impossibility of knowing affect their general approach to men if at all?

[in other words] would women be well-advised to be suspicious of all men, just in case, or should they continue to give men the benefit of the doubt, even if that necessarily leads to a certain number of them being abused in the way this woman has been?

It is men who are the VAST majority of violent criminals and sexual perverts.

I'd say that as a woman, it's not up to me to propose solutions to male abuse. Isn't that a problem for men to deal with? 

Add "apparently" if you wish, but that doesn't change the point, which is that we can only take people as they present. And they presented as perfectly normal. So who is normal and how to tell? Should we start to assume that every man we meet could be presenting as normal but actually a pervert? In terms of protecting themselves, wouldn't women be safer if they took that approach? I'm not saying it's feasible. But it does seem like it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

there are 30 million or so men in France.

70 from 30 million is about 1 in every 450,000. Obviously that number should be zero, but it isn’t a big number, it isn’t a “heck of a lot” (per the OP), it isn’t “men in general” (OP again), and pointing this out is not “apologising for rapists” (you).

None of them said anything because they’re rapists. They’re not pillars of society like.

If you or the OP genuinely want a constructive about sexual violence, you’ve gone about it all wrong. Why would any male want to engage under those circumstances? When we’re being equated with these pond scum in a completely different country?

Kind of reluctant to step into this conversation but the husband is also primary suspect in two rapes/murders going back 30+ years so we'll probably be finding out more about his motives as the case progresses. The suggestion that a need for more informed sex education as a means of addressing these kinds of crimes is a bit misleading, when for the most part the nature of sexual violence is usually an act of vengeance. It's not confined to men although men are more likely to be violators of sexual crimes, the act of revenge or abusive control crosses the gender divide and there are as many women happy to allow other women to be abused if it serves their own perverted sense of satisfaction.

I can't speak to the volumes of men willing to participate in his vicious crimes but I suspect they are more than opportunistic voyeurs.

https://psychcentral.com/disorders/voyeurism-what-it-is-and-what-it-isnt

One thing is for sure the internet has absolutely made it easier for evil to pervade.

for the most part the nature of sexual violence is usually an act of vengeance

Citation?

I mean just apply to this case, how many of the 80+ men were out for vengeance against the wife? Perpetrators of sexual violence. I don't think, as another outside example, Brock Turner was found to be doing it for vengeance either. I don't think Trump was getting vengeance on E Jean Carrol when he raped her either (not to, make this another orange thread). So, I'm curious if vengeance is really the motivation for the most of sexual violence and where that claim emanates from. .

I was making reference to the husband who is also suspect in other crimes involving rape and murder. I'm not excusing the crimes of his accomplices but that they participated in his violence as opportunistic voyeres. I'm sure they don't even think of their actions as crimes.

I can't find the exact article that referred to a psychiatric evaluation which described his actions as " a need to control the bodies of women"

Psychiatric evaluations during the investigation have shown Dominique P. to be "a patriarch" and "a manipulator" with a "perverse" personality who used his wife as "bait".

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2024/0830/1467524-french-rape-trial/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Absolutely vile.

Poor woman.

Human beings (in this case men) continue to shock and scare me with their weirdness and depravity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

I'd encourage any victim of sexual assault to report it. But, at the same time, I'm actually okay being accused of having a double standard on this specific point. Men's and women's experience of sexual violence (perpetrated by the opposite sex) are so vastly different. Most women have some fear of it at least at some point in their lives. Most men have no experience or fear of it at all, I'd say.

That is a separate matter from believing the victims of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Did you enjoy that ? Was it nice being sexist and having a go at men because they are men

Do you get the concept that he recruited the participants, could have told them absolutely anything then brought them not to some random place but into his home

Turn it around, if you had a fantasy of watching your husband being with another woman in a subdued or submissive way, it would be you who recruited the women, you who would describe the scenario and you who would give them the instructions

You don't care about that woman your sexist remarks make that blatantly clear

And for a bit if balance

It's not all women who murder the 10,000 babies a year in Ireland but it is always women stick that in your craw

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭slay55

all men have the potential to rape and murder

Some do but most don’t

What is your point op - That some rapists have good jobs and families ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Yes I read something before about the people who have to look at the child sex abuse videos in the UK in order to identify victims, and there was an interview with a man and as far as I remember he said he had kids but he was a very emotionally detached father and husband because he had had to shut down his emotions and feelings in order to be able to do his job.

There was an AMA on reddit a few weeks ago of one guy who allegedly was a homicide detective and also a certified clinical psycopath (ASPD), really interesting responses anyway, about the basic lack of emotion etc. - without digressing too much into that person in particular, it would seem to reason that other people with ASPD find themselves well situated in these types of jobs, the military etc. where emotional baggage can be a real impediment, I'm sure there's more of them and that they aren't all Dexter Morgans.

Here it was:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMA/comments/1epopwz/i_am_a_psychopath_and_a_homicide_detective_ama/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The husband was an evil fucker. And the men who took part were more than likely of the opinion it was consensual. Mad stuff.

As a man i find it disgusting. France has a population of 68 million though. Not sure how many of that are men. Ireland is 5.1 million. So for frances 50 weirdos that equals 13 in ireland. Not hard to believe really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There”s way more than 13 weirdos in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Exaclty. So its not astonishing that there were so many in france.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Your maths is wrong.

It's less than 4 for a population of 5.1m.

Thanks. Thought it was wrong. Had it right the first time.

Not really all that shocking.

for sure! Most are the opening posters on boards😁

Why are you lying and misrepresenting again? Do you not think that 70+ men raping 1 woman is a hell of a lot of men. And not 1 of them reported it. You aren't being equated to anything, you're free to not participate if you have nothing if value to add.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement