Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New car engine problems

• 05-09-2024 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I picked up my new 242 petrol engine car from the dealer on Tuesday and this morning approx 2 km in a red “engine fault, stop the vehicle” popped up on the screen, I was on a back road trying to find somewhere to pull in and it went into limp mode after less than a minute. When I pulled in all the fans in the car came on full blast by themselves.

I left it off for a few mins and started it up to try get back onto a main road where I could pull in properly. Got it half a kilometre up the road and was stopped at a stop sign and it refused to move until I turned it off and started it again a few times.

Called up the garage, who recommended I call the manufacturer and they arranged a tow which arrived over two hours later.

I did notice when the guy who came to tow it started it up the engine sounded much louder than it had been and I’d say clunky sounding.

I rang the garage in the afternoon for an update and they said it’s not showing any errors on their computer, took details of what happened again and asked me to give them another hour. Got back to me at close of business and said they think it could be the gearbox software needs an update and can they keep it overnight.

I don’t want to get into specifics as it’s still being investigated but does this sound like something that could happen due to needing to update software? Any reason no error codes are showing?

Am I being unreasonable not really wanting to take the car back until they can actually find the fault and be sure it’s fixed? The car going into limp mode and refusing to move are very unsafe imo. Was bad enough on a back road but couldn’t imagine on a motorway or dual carriageway.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Wow, only 2 days on the road! That must be a record.

You are definitely not being unreasonable! Ask for a courtesy car immediately, and let them fix things. Don't do anything you are not happy with. It's your brand new car. Hope it's a minor issue and sorted promptly to your complete satisfaction.

Not your ornery onager

You got a stop engine indication. I seriously doubt that that event did not get logged in the car's computer.

Is it automatic?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

2 days and less than 150km. Never needed to call a tow truck, even in my bangers during my early driving years. It’s really taken the buzz out of it to be honest, especially if they can’t find a fault.

I told them I’ll need a courtesy car tomorrow if it’s not sorted. My only worry is they’ll fob me off saying the update fixed it. I’m not a mechanic but I don’t think them kind of problems could be down to a gearbox software update? Surely it’d be all over the internet if that was the case.

Also is it not really unusual for no faults recorded? I thought everything would show up when they connected it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It could have been an update that was released for the car but it wasn't done before you collected the car. I know the Renault Austral had a problem where it would randomly cut and not restart but once a software update was done it was fine. You can not take the car back until they are confident in a fix as you don't want it to happen again

Sorry didn’t see your message as I was replying. Yeah it’s an automatic hybrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Please name and shame the make and model!

Would like to blacklist for myself any car that requires software updates for its gearbox...

Not fair to ask that at this stage, imo. Let's wait and see what the issue is first. OP has enough on their mind right now.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

what car?

A software update or reprogram would be standard on a modern automatic gearbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

You should go online and find an owners forum website for the vehicle and see if there is any information about similar events.

• Advertisement

I spent a good bit of today Googling the model and the problems and didn’t find much. A couple of posts about the engine fault and no error codes showing at the garage but never any follow up or diagnosis unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Why the hell not. ! . Car with less than 150 kilometres has left the op sitting on the side of the road. Bloody thing probably cost him circa forty thousand euros.
    Have driven junkers all my life and never been left sitting on the side of the road.

Yes but it shouldn't put the car in limp mode or its owner in the ditch until it gets it...

That's if this is the problem of course. If we knew the make and model we could help, but to be honest, I would put the garage's balls in a vice until they fix it

I don’t want to name the model yet because it can happen to any car, and would like to give them a chance to remedy the problem before I shít all over them.

We’re going to go down to the garage in the morning in person but would like to know;

Is it possible for the car to give a stop the vehicle warning and go into limp mode without recording any errors for the dealer to see?

If they cannot find a fault what should we do? If the car isn’t showing any faults how can they fix it? I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable taking it back on a hunch of theirs. I just know if they say they don’t know what it was, but updated the software it’ll be at the back of my mind and I won’t be able to enjoy the car.

Why the hell not? I nearly didn't bother replying. Can you not just ask why not?

In this case, because the OP said "I don’t want to get into specifics…" in the first post.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did you get a chance to look at what the temperature gauge was showing when it happened? If that was in the normal range it would be unlikely it was oil or coolant starvation so hopefully a less serious issue.

Of course it can happen to any car but it doesn’t.
    What is the car or why won’t you tell us.

I was speaking to the organ grinder not the monkey. Jog on.

Another dickish reply. You replied to my post, so I am the 'organ grinder' as you call it.

Back to grinding your own organ there. l

Not your ornery onager

I took a pic of the warning but it doesn’t show temperature gauge on the standard display. Haven’t had a chance to familiarise myself fully with it yet but even if I was, I was too shocked to think of anything but to find somewhere to pull over. It was a winding 80 road and I was only able to do 30-odd, so was conscious of something coming up behind us.

Well it’s a pretty unique set of events so it’d be pretty easy for anyone involved in the process to Google the model and problem and find my post I’d imagine.

Is it possible to reject the car if they can’t find a fault? Wife is not at all happy and would not feel comfortable driving it when they’re saying no fault is showing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

If the electronics are set up correctly there should be a log of the warning ect., but garage may class this as different to an error code to be economical with the truth. Some experts on car electronics cold give you more info but you would need to reveal what car model we talking about.

Anyway regardless, you have a manufacturers guarantee and sale of good act if things are not resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

If some module is after triggering a stop error than an error is definitely logged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

First thing I see is you bought it from a garage and they told you to call the manufacturer ?

Er... No. Let them make the call. It's a garage issue.

Secondly, if they don't sort this pronto, and it drags out, absolutely need a courtesy car and refuse to give it back until the fix your new car. If they don't do it promptly, reject the new car as not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

I had a new diesel car a few years ago.After a week of driving it died one day-in top gear and began to slow down without warning.Managed to chug it along in 2nd gear to somewhere safe.That happened 4 times(4th time I told the dealer I didn't want the car back) in total before I demanded a new car.Head of sales for the brand came to see me.Offered me a choice of cash back or 2 other cars-different marques.I took another marque.He told me it was air in the gearbox.Each time I had a courtesy car-no questions

Purpose of this post is to say give dealer 2 chances to fix the problem then ask for cash back or new car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Weezer84

Is it a Peugeot mild hybrid?

No, the customer has to call the manufacturer as they provide the breakdown cover not the garage. It's why there's normally a breakdown number to call on the windscreen

Let’s assume it is. Is this something you’ve encountered before?

No word from the garage yet so going to drop down and see what’s going on and get a courtesy car.

Thats the maddest thing I ever heard. Must be because its a car. For anything else, you go back to seller, not manufacturer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭geotrig

think its been like that forever its so the garage get paid properly for warranty work and so you get treated with priority id presume

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭sligopaul

And is it a third party who manages the break down for them similar to car insurance

Has the garage witnessed the issue themselves? Saying "No error codes are showing" does not absolve them of the problem.

I know the consumer rules, which say seller has to sort it, dont go to manufacturer as it makes things harder, this is new to me. If I bought a brand new car and it broke down on the way home, I wouldnt be happy going to a third party. I'd be back at the garage demanding they sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

You call the dealer you it bought it from so. After you've told them you aren't calling the breakdown assist yourself, like you are supposed to, they'll probably pop you on hold, have a bit of a laugh, then tell you they'll get straight on to it. Someone may call breakdown assistance after a while on your behalf, and they'll call you to come out and collect. No way will the dealer come and get the car.

OP - unfortunately, sometimes things go wrong even with brand new cars. There's in excess of 3,000 moving parts on most vehicles so it's not uncommon for something to not be 100% when the vehicle is delivered.

From my reading, it's not that the vehicle stopped, it went in to limp mode which allowed slow speed driving to a safe spot - exactly what it's supposed to do it if detects an issue that may get worse if allowed to carry on at normal speed.

For anyone finding this, the best thing to do in a new car is press the SOS button which connects you to the manufacturer control centre. They will be able to arrange assistance from there, and should know exactly where the car is. Some may even be able to access the vehicle logs at that stage. They should also arrange a replacement vehicle - there's a couple of days of rental car provided by all the manufacturer breakdown providers I'm aware of.

What we have found recently, is that the first port of call from a lot of tow companies is to plug in an ODB scanner, clear all the faults and see if that allows the vehicle to start and drive, so I'm not surprised that it turned up to the dealer with no faults logged. They should be driving it as is to cause the issue again, then they can see what faults it logs.

Dealers have an obligation to ensure the car is roadworthy. This car clearly isn't so it is up to them to sort it. They can laugh all they want, there is no way I would be on a manufacturers hotline waiting to get this sorted.

When a car breaks down, you call manufacturer breakdown assistance. They recover the vehicle to a garage, and then you deal with the garage from there on. Don't call the garage about a breakdown as they won't do anything and there's already well proven arrangements in place for breakdown assistance, which will then get the car to the garage.

The car was roadworthy before it left the dealership. Wouldn't have made it 150km if it wasn't. It will leave the garage roadworthy after it's been fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

bought a brand new VW caddy a few years ago, had the van less than a week when the van died at the side of the road.

Managed to get it out of the way with the starter motor.

Called VW hotline on window sticker & an AA breakdown van arrived.

Van was towed to garage where van was purchased & fuel pump failure was diagnosed.

Never heard a word back from VW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I’ve driven loads of old cars that never failed like this. Unless I got a complete explanation of what the issue was and how it was fixed I’d be reluctant to drive it again.

Have you driven all the old cars since day 1, and know they never had an issue? Or, is it possible an old car had a problem when it was much newer, and that was fixed, so it wasn't an issue when it became an old car?

The vast majority of new cars have no issues. Some do, and they get fixed and don't cause any issues again. Some have repeat issues and are a nightmare for everyone involved.

Whatever caused the issue with the OP's car may be fixed with a software update, or a replacement part, or some sort of tweak, and never cause a single issue again - lets hope that's the case. If it does re-occur and can't be fixed so it doesn't happen again, then there are grounds for rejecting the vehicle and not wanting to drive it again.

I deal with 100's of new cars and vans a year, of all makes & models and what happened to the OP isn't a common occurrence, but it's also not a totally uncommon one. Last year we had a car that went in to limp mode after a few 100 KM's - turned out it needed a whole new engine. That was replaced by a main dealer, to manufacture specifications, and we haven't heard a peep out of it, apart from standard servicing, since.

My current PHEV had an issue after I collected it - drivetrain warning would flash up on the screen after I'd done 10km's - started when there was less than 100km on the clock. Warning would go away when I stopped the car, but soon as I'd done 10km after re-starting, the warning came on.

I rang the service manager for the brand - he said it will stop after about 500km. He was wrong, took until 600km - warning's stopped coming up and haven't re-appeared since. It didn't cause limp mode, but it certainly wasn't running 100% with the warning light on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Gooser14

You need to acquaint yourself on your consumer rights on ccpc.ie. In particular look up the section on faulty goods under buying goods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

Well if you car breaks done hundreds of km from home on a Saturday night, your approach will have you waiting until 9am Monday morning before calling the dealer.

It's unreasonable for individual dealers to man 24hr hotlines, so your first port of call is the manufacturer provided breakdown assist.

• Advertisement

I'm not talking about when the owner is stranded on the side of the road, I'm talking about how they go about resolving the problems with the new car they bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭Leatra

If you do manage to find an answer and a solution (and please God you will), please make sure to put the details online here or somewhere so anyone in your situation later finds something from googling.

Thanks for all the comments and info from everyone. We got the car back yesterday, they continued to claim there was no faults at all but they updated the gearbox ECU and are sure that was the problem. Someone mentioned maybe the tow mechanic wiped the codes but I don’t think this is the case. They didn’t try to diagnose, they just lifted it up and towed it to the dealer.

I’m not sure if it’s in my head or not but the engine sounds louder and a bit clanky when starting it, and also when taking off slowly or moving slowly in a town, etc. I didn’t mention it to the wife and she commented on the noise when starting also. I’ll get a video of it tomorrow and post it up.

Glad to have the car back but not fully confident yet and probably won’t be until I know if the engine noise is in my head and I drive it for a couple thousand km.

Oh and it’s a Peugeot 1.2 mild hybrid as another poster guessed.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭drury..

Surely the tow companies can't clear all the faults on brand new cars ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Some of them can - if its an auto and the box is unresponsive they will clear the codes to get the wheels rolling so they can get it on the tow truck.

Its a pain in the arse though as when you get it into the workshop you have very little to work on unless the codes are saved in the history.

Car **** the bed again this afternoon. Coming out of the estate and red engine fault came up as I stopped at the junction. Car wouldn’t move at all. Took 4/5 restarts to get it to move. Wouldn’t go above 10km/h then refused to move at all. Managed to get it out of the way and had to leave it there.

I presume I can hand this back and get a refund now? This is a huge safety issue imo. I got the wife to take videos as proof. I’ve lost all confidence in the car. Only another 100km since getting it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭drury..

Whatever the law says

Is it 2 attempts they have at a fix ?

Unless it’s different for cars it’s usual either repair, replacement or refund (sellers choice) and a repair has to be permanent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Gooser14

From the CCPC web site:

"You can cancel your purchase and get a full refund when a fault occurs within 30 days of receiving the goods. You must:

• inform the business in writing within 30 days of receiving the product
    • return the goods to the business, at their expense and without delay

The business must:

• give you a refund for the product within 14 days of receiving the returned goods
    • use the same payment method you used to buy the product, unless you agree otherwise
    • cancel any other service you ordered with the goods – for example, insurance for a sofa

During the 30 days after you receive a product that is faulty, you also have the option to ask the business for a repair or a replacement."

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Sounds like a lemon. I'd be gutted after forking out the price of a new car!

• Advertisement
Advertisement