Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

He still lives at home, with his parents, believing what they tell him without question. He doesn't display many of the markers of adulthood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Didn't the mother called Varadkar a sodomite only recently? Haven't they run strange websites targeting gay politicians? Wouldn't strike me as normal at all with that kind of ****..

Harassing one's boss at a public event would lead to firing for most people tbh.

Btw, all my siblings who are in their forties to fifties think Enoch is a pain in the hole. My mother who is almost 80 thinks the same. Turns out most people just don't like hateful arseholes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

oh dear. Well you’ve confirmed my first thoughts on the type of person you are.

So. Do you believe in homosexuality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Who has had their life destroyed for not providing a little basic respect to people? We're not talking about people who choose to abuse their boss in a public venue here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

1984 was when we used to treat people with huge disrespect. We've moved things on a bit from there. What's so difficult about treating people with a little respect in the public context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If Eddie Izzard thinks he is a woman, then let him off.

But he is a man.

Note the different verbs being used.

What he thinks about himself is false.

What we all know about him is true.

Nobody should force anybody else to believe something that is false.

He can wander around in a dress, if he likes.

But his Birth Cert should not be changed, as it is a record of the truth.

He can have his own beliefs, even though they are false, but I do not respect them.

Truth overrides false beliefs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have nothing against State ownership and State running schools (i.e. ETB schools)

What I would be against is a State monopoly, i.e. all schools to be ETB schools.

That is why I ask people who want churches pulled out of providing schools - who should be the replacement patrons?

I susoect any such change might require a referendum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭standardg60

If the pope thinks he is God's representative on Earth, then let him off..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What are God's preferred personal pronouns, does anybody know?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Eddie Izzard isn't the person who's lifestyle and beliefs are being debated here and he does not factor into it.

Enoch Burke - and his lifestyle and beliefs - are . EB has, as per the constitution rights he keeps mentioning, his religious belief rights without dissent BUT those rights DO NOT give him authority over the school governance rules set by the WHS school board. There is no obligation on any school board to keep in paid employment any staff member who is in clear dissent with the school board over the running of the school. There is no requirement for EB to stay on as a member of staff at WHS either given the clear split in religious ethos between him and the school.

Two salient points here where the religious belief angle is concerned is that the school is under the management of the Church of Ireland and EB and his family belongs to a different faction of Christianity, the Evangelical branch. His mother, in her talking about the differences between her son and the school board, has mentioned the fact that the school is CoI. There is the other obvious difference and that is that the school was accepting of the beliefs of the [I think] former pupil [and one parent of the pupil] at the centre of the differences between EB and the school board where-as EB most definitely was and still is not.

EB's religious beliefs do not give him governance over the constitutional rights of others nor of the civil courts of our country. That same rule also applies to his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's all about elitism. These same people frequently complain about the religious hoops they have to jump through to get their kids in - attend mass regularly etc. They're not doing it for the benefit of their kids' "eternal souls".

Scrap the cap!

Hopefully we will soon see the permanent exodus of the Burkes from WHS.

Scrap the cap!

He's still not big enough to go to school on his own

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭marilynrr

I don't think that it's nearly as simplistic as saying that people are simply being asked to use a preferred name and pronouns, nothing more, nothing less. And it's not accurate either.

The pronouns request isn't happening in a bubble. It's all linked with and hard to separate from everything else that is going on. Women being expected to share safe spaces with biological males. Rapists who raped women with their penises getting to call themselves women.

And it's not just pronouns because there's a whole load of other 'gender neutral' language that might make some people happy as Miriam Margolyes said, but to me as a woman it feels degrading, 'chestfeeding', 'pregnant person' 'bonus hole' (wtf). I'm not sure how much or if any of that has made it over here and is used in the HSE (hopefully none) but there's a fear of things escalating to that if people don't push back against it.

If it really were as simple as just using pronouns to make people happy, nothing more and nothing less then there would be far less pushback against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

As opposed to the ones who.are currently being investigated for facilitating pedophile rings? Absolutely. Works in other countries.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

truth is only what we perceive to be true.

There are people who believe that the twin towers were brought down by missiles, and the planes we all saw crashing into them are holograms. They will argue all day long that they are right and anyone who believes otherwise is wrong.
    If you think that you can ram your truth down the throat of someone else and insist that your truth is the only truth and all other truths are false, that is supremely arrogant, ignorant and disrespectful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

"Truth overrides false beliefs"

- that's exactly what the Flat Earthers say, too.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Flat Earthers, 9/11 Truthers, Moan Landing Hoaxers, insert random CT group here-ers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

LOL I googled that phrase "truth overrides belief" and got some absolute batshit evangelical christian nonsense, massively over played your hand there.

I would really like you to explain how truth overrides belief in reference to your previous statement that "we cant prove god exists either way". Or are you arguing the absence of negative proof allows for the possibility of his existence….. which would be belief and the truth is we have no proof so surely that truth overrides belief in his existence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'm looking forward to how you'll manage to get Leviticus or Deuteronomy into a post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,491 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The genesis of this debacle was Burke’s failure to respect the school’s policy, it is again worth remembering that at least one parent confirmed the child did not request to be identified as they/them. But once that policy was introduced, he should have observed it in his workplace, no matter what his personal beliefs, if for no other reason than basic decency.

There was no official policy introduced. The principal sent an email around to staff asking them to be aware and support a student who was transitioning. This happens multiples of times in schools where staff are made aware that a child may be going through some sort of difficult or sensitive period. Burke didn't even teach the student. He didn't have to observe anything in reality.

There was no policy document typed up on "accepting transgenderism" and forwarded on to all staff. Complete nonsense.

It's also worth noting the principal sent a similar email in 2021. According to the principal, Enoch was a serial moaner when the school did anything that didn't align with his religious beliefs (imagine having to deal with that? 😕), but he didn't challenge that 2021 email, I'm guessing because his family were elbow deep in Covid conspiracies at the time.

Enoch's initial problem with the email was not just to do with his personal beliefs but he stated that a belief system was being pushed onto the other students. Then he went full mental at a school function, making it all about him. Then he got fired.

This case has absolutely zero to do with anyone's beliefs and all to do with a manky self entitled bully who is quite simply just a low life.

A couple of respectful emails back and forth like before and Enoch would still be in a job. But he couldn't help himself this time, probably mentioned it to his mother, what an error that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I'm a woman and I don't feel any of those things when asked to use someone's preferred name or pronouns.

It's not about me.

And quite frankly, I'm sick of listening to other women making someone else's life all about them.

You can "push back" against it all you like, but non-binary and transgender people have always existed and are not going to hide who they are any longer to make "you" feel comfortable.

Nor should they have to.

And that is all I'm going to say on this, as this thread is not to discuss women's feelings on transgender - there are plenty of other threads you can do that on.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Guess what does not happen in Church of Ireland schools?

Religious instruction - There is none , none at all.

I went to one , and as a Catholic I never had to sit at the back of the class doing something else and feeling excluded while the others prepared for their Confirmation or whatever.

We had classes that covered "religion" as a topic to learn about its existence and its position in society and so on but not specific religious instruction. There were no prayers in the morning etc.

Yes , there were Church Services outside of School hours that were optional , but not once was I made to feel different or excluded because I was a different faith than the majority - Which is exactly what happens in schools across the country today if you aren't Catholic and don't have access to a non-denominational school in your Area.

That is what needs to stop and needs to stop now.

You want your kid to prepare for Communion/Confirmation?? Great - Do it outside School hours.

You want your kid to pray in the mornings? Great - Do it at home before you drop them off at school.

The idea that the State allows majority of the schools , especially Primary schools to be under under the direct control of one Religion and that they get to provide Religious Instruction during School hours is simply wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,298 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Sticks philosophy hat on.

The problem is that the people using these phrases don't understand the words they're using and don't have a background in epistemology so they make statements that they claim are true without establishing a foundation for those statements.

Take for example belief. If you look it up you'll find two definitions which are widely different.

Belief  

• a state or habit of mind in which trust or confidence is placed in some person or thing
    • conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence

So a belief in climate change based on the tens of thousands of studies which agree with it is different to a belief in God which is based on a two thousand year old book.

Likewise, people who are anti trans and use different words interchangeable. Sex is not gender. They claim that trans people are mentally ill. Their reason for this is that it's all in the persons head. It's true it is in their head, but that doesn't mean it's not real and it doesn't mean they're mentally ill.

And truth is the same. They always base their "truth" on some a priori knowledge that they assume is true but isn't established. so it's something like Sex is real, gender isn't. Yet they never take the time to define what real is.

An example. Autism exists. People have autism. It only exists in their heads. It doesn't involve a physical change. They don't look different. They don't have different limbs. Yet because it doesn't physically manifest and it's in their heads, an anti trans person would say it's not real. This can be said about loads of things. pretty much every neurodivergent condition. And that same goes for people who are gay or bi or hetrosexual. That's in their heads, yet it's still real. The attraction people feel is real but it's not something that you can point to on a body. Yet trans people, straight people, autistic people etc exist even though there's no physical medical test for them. You can't do a blood test or anything for any of these things.

Except most of them never apply the same criteria to neurodivergent people or peoples sexuality. Because we accept them. There are some that will claim that homosexuality and being trans are both mental illnesses, but most anti trans people try to avoid being identified with them.

And here's the thing. They'll refuse to accommodate trans people. People with a condition that's as verifiable as everything I've mentioned above. Yet, they'll demand that we accommodate their beliefs. So you end up with them demanding that their anti trans beliefs are protected. Trans people don't have the right to transition, but an anti trans person should have the right to refer to them as their dead name and tell them they're mentally ill. And religious people will demand acceptance too. They'll demand the ability to discriminate against people based on their religious beliefs but will be horrified if someone is discriminated against because of their religious belief. They'll claim that pride is over the top, yet be annoyed if a nativity display is removed.

Anyways, that was a bit of a diversion from the whole Enoch thing. The fact is that he's in trouble, not for his beliefs, but for how he manifested them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Exactly. They'll say transgenderism goes against science, but that's because they are only looking at the biology, whereas the root cause of transgenderism lies in psychology, which is a different part of science.

But of course, Enoch is never going to consider that because religion trumps all the sciences anyway, and his belief in the imaginary means it's absolutely true and so important he's willing to stay in jail to protect, yet he considers a trans person's belief that they are transgender to just be…. imaginary…. and therefore not worthy of any sort of respect or recognition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Ravenid

We want schools where we can send our children to get a good education without being blackmailed into joining a cult who's priests have had a 40+ year history of assault, abuse and rape in the schools they ran.

We want to send our kids off to get an education without fear that their teacher will attack them for being themselves.

You believe you are on some high horse by being the "Defender of the Religious education system."

All you are is an apologist for the abuse the religious orders have inflicted onto generations of schoolchildren.
    And your bullshit replies here show how disingenuous your answers are.

Saying we should require a referendum to remove Religious orders from running schools.

There is nothing in the constitution of the Republic of Ireland or any law on our books that mandates Religious orders running schools. Why the **** would we need a referendum?!

And your feeble "Who will run the schools." cry falls extremely flat when the amount of Schools being run by religious orders has fallen year on year with no marked downturn.

ETB, Gaelscoile's, Community Schools they have all stepped up to replace the rotten core of religious run schools and we are all better for it.

I know my children are safer for it.

• Advertisement

Before you typed that, did you check what WH’s policies are? I do agree it is a form of bullying, whatever his personal views, he should not have expressed them at work. But WH do have a policy related to trans students, though it was formally placed on their Website in 2023, no doubt the school had policies in place on how staff dealt with students and after meeting the parents, informed staff that the child was to be referred to by their preferred pronoun (which at least one parent has said, the child did not request).

Advertisement