Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Immigration falls because of recessions. It doesn't cause them.

Look at how many Irish are emigrating from this booming economy. How does that fit your narrative?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭engineerws

It's the only source I have seen on the matter.

You seem to be dismissing the independent and claiming to know more about the deportation process than the department of justice. It may very well be true that you are a senior barrister well versed in deportation

Can you you present any evidence that shows the department of justice is wrong or the independent is giving misinformation.

A secret briefing paper from the Department of Justice said the State urgently needed to resume deportations as the majority of applicants for international protection were economic migrants.

As I have said previously, falsehoods make it more difficult to correctly analyze and address issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭minimary

Whatever about our asylum obligations, when the State allows someone to stay under leave to remain aka you don't have a case but we can't/don't want to deport you then it should be a condition that the person has secured housing and is not entitled to any State supports.

I guarantee you if you made it a condition that applicants had to find a private rental in order to be granted leave to remain, suddenly they would find a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

And in other news, scientists have discovered that losing weight causes you to eat less food, and deer will cross roads wherever you put up Deer Crossing signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Population growth is one thing, what the country is experiencing right now is literally one of the largest if not the single largest growth in population of any country in history

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2024/06/10/european-commission-says-irish-population-rose-by-record-35-per-cent-last-year/

It is not in any way normal or sustainable

You are talking about lack of supply, yes that’s an enormous problem - how exactly is facilitating this artificial enormous increase in demand going to help matters?
    The people being moved on in Borrisokane because still they can’t support themselves - surely this pattern will be replicated many times over?
    You note that there is a paucity of property in the area for them, that same lack applies for all Irish people too.

So we are either paying for them to remain in accommodation in perpetuity or we are bringing people in that will eventually compete with the native population for very scarce essential resources (housing), which will drive prices up for everyone. Remind me again how this is apparently actually a benefit to our country?

And please don’t return with some waffle about increasing supply - everyone knows we need to increase supply. Problem is the amount of people we are allowing in means even with a big increase in supply we will never catch up, all the while an entire generation remains screwed and living with their parents into their 40s. They will not be having children during that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

With all the muck that's posted here this is where you decide to cry about falsehood?

I'm not dismissing the Independent at all. I think they've made it pretty clear that this is one secret information note. From looking at the article it doesn't seem to me that they're presenting this as a wider government, or even department position.

You recognize yourself this is the only source you've seen on the matter when you provided it as proof of this being government position on the matter. It didn't take me long at all to find a quite contradictory briefing note from the Department of Justice describing the practical difficulties in deporting IPAs.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/department-of-justice-said-charter-planes-not-needed-for-deportations-as-they-worked-on-tender-to-hire-aircraft/a1070416480.html

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/deportation-system-highly-litigious-and-flights-financially-burdensome-department-1613199.html

In this above article from the Independent, officials from the department of justice outline their plans to facilitate more deportations, but giving the difficulties involved have recognized that…

their priority remained “the removal of criminals” and encouraging other migrants to return home of their own volition.

I think I was pretty clear that it was my opinion when saying 'the author(s) don't even seem particularly well versed on how deportations operate'. What strikes me in this regard is the idea presented within this information note, of withholding visas from countries of origin, as some sort of novel solution which might have a material impact on deportation outcomes. There are numerous examples online of other countries having tried this approach to seemingly very limited success. Nor does it appear to tackle the actual difficulties in completing deportations as described in this ESRI/ENM research piece, which I believe was part funded by the Department of Justice.

https://www.esri.ie/system/files/publications/BKMNEXT087.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

We seem to be in an increasingly perfect storm where housing is concerned.

The population growth is driving demand, which is fuelling price increases, the government is competing with private citizens for rented accomodation, large commercial organisations are compounding the upward pressure on prices as the potential profits from government contracts has become a virtually risk free "no brainer". Hence the majority of new builds are being snapped up by them.

Its very difficult to see us being able to accelerate construction in time to stabilise the market before a tipping point is reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

A monster who was prevented from being deported by a crowd of well meaning but galactically stupid people - has gone on to rape another woman, this time a 15 year old.

Yes, we do need charter flights as I would not put it past several people to prevent the deportation of our own imported rapists when we finally get round to kicking them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,118 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Can you name any country in Europe though that is taking active steps to stop its population from growing? Many European countries these days are very concerned with the real risk of depopulation (Germany, Italy, Portugal and Poland for example).

By all means, Ireland should be constantly monitoring its immigration and asylum rules to prevent the risk of services, infrastructure and housing being overwhelmed by too rapid population growth. But we have to be cautious too : a mere ten years ago (2014), the population of Ireland was actually declining and talk of the government back then taking active steps to stop the population from growing would have sounded bonkers.

There needs to be a distinction made between useful population growth and adding people to the country that need to be taken care of forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Please tell me you can see the difference between sensible population growth such as more affordable childcare, allowing working parents the chance to increase their families; better healthcare so that the population does not decline too quickly - elderly care etc ….

And packing dinghies and lorries into Rosslare with thousands of people who will never contribute and who we have to support.

You do see this distinction yes ?

Is that the UK case you're referring to?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13817575/Failed-asylum-seeke-raped-girl-change-guilty-plea.html

I saw it reported in some of the tabloid press that his deportation was blocked by 'do-gooder' cabin crew who wouldn't let him on the flight. From the several articles I've looked at the facts of the case aren't terribly clear. Some are reporting that his wrist was broken by handlers, while the article above says he claimed his wrist was broken, with an assault later investigated by police. I'd think it quite reasonable for cabin crew to not allow the man board the flight under those circumstances.

It does also seem he was later granted legal right to remain.

Deporting people is actually quite a difficult process. I think our government are quite right to focus their efforts on criminals or those known to the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

I didn’t say a thing about “stopping” population growth - it’s not a light switch that’s either on or off, we can have reasonable population growth, it does not necessarily have to be at the current insanely high levels.
    We could reduce it to a quarter of current levels and still be doing well

Who are these people who will never contribute? The ESRI reports strong labor market uptake by IPAs in Ireland. Do you think they're mistaken, or have you some other group in mind?

https://www.esri.ie/news/strong-take-up-of-right-to-work-by-international-protection-applicants-in-ireland-since-2018

And who exactly do you think is packing people into dingheys and lorries? It looks very much that you're comparing this to actual policies our government can implement, is this replacement theory stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Our population has increased every year for the past 30+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

Imagine if the Irish government had the balls to do something like this

No thanks, we've too many people living in tents as is.

That link talks about applications for the right to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

So continue to house and feed rejected asylum seekers? Whats the point of hearing claims for asylum then if we'll be supporting them anyway. And you've already said you don't believe in deportations.

It does, and it also goes into how many were able to take up work, based on the available data, and the type of work undertaken.

I shared this research here several times before and am surprised to be still hearing broad claim about IPAs not contributing. Unless of course the OP wishes to challenge this research, or is perhaps mistakenly referring to some other group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Yvonne007

Have you any ideas on how we should deal with this situation beyond this one person who might live with me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

People aren’t really interested in those biased studies or research. Would be far more illuminating to see figures from the department of social protection on how many have remained on the live register and for how long

Yup. Anyone who travelled with a passport, but arrived without is sent straight back to wherever that boat or plane came from.

People need to be able to prove clearly and definitively where they are travelling from, how they got here and why they are here.

Otherwise we tell them we cannot help them.

Thats a start.

Rejected asylum seekers are brought to an airport and but on the first available flight back.

Yeah good luck with that.

I'm sure the airlines will be happy to facilitate this approach and the countries where the flights originate, or where we believe the reject asylum seekers are actually from, will have no issues either.

Cool. So then we will go back to letting one stay at yours. But you wouldn't. You seem to tolerate them being in your country, but not in your house. NIMBY-ism at it's finest.

If I tried to get into Australia without a passport, would they let me in if I just said I was claiming asylum?

People just don't materialise. They need to have proof of where they came from, otherwise they are ignored and sent back to their country of origin. No help whatsover. I would rather the government spent our tax money on getting rid of bogus asylum seekers than keeping them here.

If we had a zero tolerance policy, we would stop seeing people arrive.

Why would they come here if they were getting nothing. We need to make outselves not attractive to bogus asylum seekers.

But your answer is much better. Keep housing and feeding them and eventually they might contribute.

Yeah, good luck with that.

The Esri are biased now?

I guess we'll have to add them to the list so.

Maybe someday one of guys will actually explain how all this is supposed to work between O'Gorman's tweets, the MSM, the hotel owners, the NGOs, the ESRI, the people-traffickers, the lefties, the UN etc, etc.

At the moment it's looking more than a little conspiratorial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Google one of the co authors and see what you find

I don't know why you seem to think it appropriate to bring my living situation into the discussion? I think it should be pretty clear it's not going to make any difference to the situation.

As for Australia, yes you would be sent back. You would also be subject to a lengthy pre clearance process before you boarded the flight. Which makes it very unlikely anybody will attempt to claim asylum on landing.

Some kind of pre-clearance system is being introduced as part of the migration pact, but considering how many of our arrivals come via sea or over the border from NI, I wouldn't expect it to make much of a difference in Europe or Ireland.

Are you also challenging the ESRI findings on IPAs joining the workforce?

• Advertisement

I just googled them both, nothing stands out, what exactly am I supposed to be finding here?

Advertisement