Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boating chit chat thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thanks for that, gives me a coherent plan anyway.

I also need to find an actual boat first; there is a lad raffling a fairly high end RIB off but that's probably a bit beyond what I need, and also, well, a raffle!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Van Doozy

I wouldn't think you need to get a boat first. I'd recommend spending some time on boats and with boating people so that you get a feel for what type and size of boat would work for you before you get one.

Andy has plenty of good info above. I did courses with INSS and they're good. I would strongly recommend doing a power boating course if you are a complete beginner - many people who are around boats all their lives often don't appreciate how alien a lot of it is to newbies and just assume you already 'get it' - and I say that as someone who did most of their learning as an adult!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Latest on the Balesian is the mast is intact and the lifting keel was retracted, normal for yachts like this when moored and apparently they're quite stable sailing in moderate conditions even with the keel retracted.

Everything points towards a catastrophic piece of bad luck/weather that knocked it over coinciding with reduced righting moment with the keel up and all deck openings, hatches, doors etc open for convenience at anchor.

This video is enlightening, frightening even, to see just how incredibly powerful a localised water spout or mini tornado can be along with the knockdown effect on another tall masted super yacht. You'll definitely replay it for the cat part.

https://youtu.be/G8-b6CsEueQ?si=uQNPFnH7JgQniPU_

Post edited by Daibheid on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭rje66

Link now working, can u repost…ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭nokiatom

A lot of people were blaming the mast in that it broke and sank the yacht. This never made sense. It had to do with stability and the most likely reason was the keel was retracted, then she was top heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Tow

True, but I would have thought the keel would have been extended if anchoring for the night in 50 meters of water. It would make her more stable for sleeping.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Probably going to come down to human/crew error of not being appropriately prepared for the forecat weather and closing appropriate doors/hatches (and heeling due wind causing catosprohic inundation). Granted, a very freak/local weather event. If they were anchored maybe 100 or 200 metres away from where they were, may not have been any issue!

That would depend on the weather conditions at the time. A boat that size would be stable especially when anchored as her bow would be into the weather, she would not be rolling

Interesting video on the sinking of the yacht

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFOpw5UCn8s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Ive never heard of a boat being knocked down while at anchor, would she not be bow into the wind making it more likely to break a mast or drag and anchor rather than heel over?

Yes. The boat anchored in front of her was classically rigged with twin masts. A lot more windage than a clean modern aluminium mast. They ran their engines to reduce the strain on their anchor. When the squall passed they looked around and she had vanished, then they saw a flare from the life raft.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

It was reportedly a water spout (tornado) so you would get a lot of wind, very quickly/suddnely, from all directions, without any chance of the boat turning into the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If the water spout hit the boat/mast at just the right angle, you would have had all that wind as well as tons upon tons of water hitting it, which was obviously enough to knock her down… and once she started heeling, there was enough sustained pressure to keep pushing her over..

Must have been an absolute nightmare on board.

To my knowledge the mast is intact. The bow would would have been into the wind while at anchor but with a tornado the wind could come from any direction and without warning

These super yachts are extremely stable keel up because of their size and mass. Any pivoting keel is going to have some play in it so could cause erratic thuds through the boat in even gentle breezes or tiny waves/swells.

• Advertisement

Check the video I posted

Check the video I posted, the only thing that stopped that mast being pushed past 90degrees was the marina alongside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Lots of uneducated comment in the media. The blame game has started, reputations to be protected. eSysman has an interesting video with good comment from another designer, Chris Freers.Interesting observations on doors, keel position, heeling moment, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFOpw5UCn8s

and what would happen if it did come near 90 degrees and no marina there?

It depends on several factors. Keel down and hatches etc open it'd probably right itself near instantly with limited water ingress albeit with significant injuries to occupants.

Keel up hatches mostly secured, it'd be as above but righting more slowly.

Keel up and mostly open hatches, it could swamp and fail to right which is IMHO likely what happened in Sicily.

There are a host of competing interests vested in what happened so we won't know for certain until the actual investigation report is published. But Global Warming and the effect it's having with more extreme weather - see "summer" in Ireland 2024, may have been a factor. That and Super yacht bragging rights.

• Advertisement

Indeed…. (same(ish) boat, same guy)

Swing into the wind and stay upright. In saying that I have seen an Etap 21 capsize and turn turtle. Knocked down, safety rail snapped and two large lads fell on to the main sail. They managed to right her like a large dinghy. J24s are also know for sinking if knocked down and the cabin floods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

I saw that, spectacular but is she not alongside and therefore (potentially at least) at right angles to the wind, whereas facing into the wind would (as you are at anchor) be the optimal position

I bought (my dad bought me) a Ron Holland mini tonner back in the mid 90's and she came with a reputation for apparently capsizing and filling up/sinking, so when we got her one of the first things we did was put a homemade lead bulb on the keel, as my dad didn't want 15-16yo me and my mates out in Dublin Bay in something that 'could' capsize and sink!!

It certainly wasn't the most aerodynamic bulb out there, but it did help keep her stable in those first few years… (thats the rear end)

Then we took the bulb off, got an oversized kite, and had some great craic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Interesting looking visitor in howth this evening

The Navionics desktop based web 'Chart Viewer' website has been decommissioned since July 31st!!

Garmin again the Feckers!! This was a really handy tool for planning trips and passages…

(I'm not Finn, but found this on the interweb)

Apparently also you are only allowed have the app (a working version of the app) on 2 devices, a primary and secondary… which is a bit sh1tty of them (though I've yet to see this), as I like to load the app onto old iPhones I have lying around to use as cockpit 'burner' phones.. i.e. a phone I wouldn't be too upset about if it went overboard etc*… but seemingly you have to log into their servers to remove 1 of your 2 devices and add a new one now.

I sense a money grab coming soon…

*It's mad that we're in a time when a battery operated handheld GPS/plotter/digital camera/HD video recorder/music player/telephone/calculator/computer & host of other things could be considered 'meh' if it was dropped over the side, because you have another 3-4 of them at home that could easily take its place!

so as an update to this post, I fitted a new raw water pump yesterday and we are back in business…

just need to get some Volvo green paint to protect it…

Also, and as expected, when I tried to remove the old cover plate, 2 of the 3 remaining bolts that hold the cover plate on sheered off at when the slightest force was applied….

the original impeller was still intact surprisingly, but there was a little bit of wear on it as well as on some of the internals so I’ve ordered a rebuild kit for it and will recondition it, test it and then keep it onboard as a spare…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

https://apnews.com/video/new-south-wales-disaster-planning-and-response-cca74463cf9f4dca912651ccb450eeac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Tom Dolan rocking up to a stage win on leg 2 of the Solitaire du Figaro in the next couple of hours - looks unbeatable unless he sinks the boat, or something

Brilliant, and fair play to him..

Watched his doc a few weeks back and he seems like a sound enough lad..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

He took part in an online seminar/Q&A thing during covid, it was the first time I really got to know anything about him beyond his name and solo racing, and I've been a firm fan ever since - he's very understated but sound out. That documentary was fascinating.

out with the old….

and in with the new…

was able to drill out the 2 broken bolts (the 3rd came out with a vice grips) relatively easy enough and by hand too… then ran an M4 plug tap down the holes to clean up the threads and happy days…..

A little bit more polishing on the internals and she’ll be ready to assemble….

Although I might try and source some better bolts to hold the cover plate on. I’m not a fan of using a screwdriver to open these, and would much prefer to use an Allen key or a spanner… (but with that you run the risk of over tightening!!), but given this will now be a spare pump, maybe the flat head bolts will suffice!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's a major mistake, they'll lose a lot of fans/customers with this nonsense.

In the meantime, it's not the same but it's better than nothing.

https://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html#6.92/53.297/-6.321

Do you have the paid version that shows your position?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I updated my subscription there today and tried to get the app working again on my iPad but no dice, so I contacted Garmin support, and they said my iPad was too old! (its an iPad mini 2 which I bought back in 2018 before buying the boat)..

As it can't be updated beyond iOS version 12.5.7, I can't load the latest version of the Navionics app (v22 I think, phone is on v21 - old iPad is v18). She said I must have at least iOS 13 or later to run the latest versions of the app!!!

So thats also a bit **** on their part… last week Navonics on the iPad was working perfectly fine, today it's essentially bricked the iPad as a gps plotter!!! Time to go 2nd hand iPad shopping because new ones are ridiculously expensive!!!

That's just nuts, what is wrong with them?!

surely they know there’s lots of old salty dogs out there with iPads that they’ll happily run for 10+ years without a bother… so they should accommodate subscription renewals across all the versions of their app….

I could still get map updates on the iPad 2 weeks ago!! So why the feck not sync up my account to renew the subscriptions….

This iPad I have, its sole purpose is as a gps plotter… there isn’t anything else I use it for!!!

Tom Dolan has won the Figaro

First non French winner since 1988

Incredible achievement.

he’s only gone and bloody done it!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

in 55 editions, only 3 times has a non French National won the Figaro…..

This really is huge.

Not a mention on any of the big Irish news websites…..

You'd think RTÉ would be onto it given they showed a doc about him a few weeks back (which should rightly get a lot more plays now)

https://afloat.ie/sail/events/la-solitaire-du-figaro/item/64702-tom-dolan-wins-the-solitaire-du-figaro-it-is-a-dream-come-true

Mentioned on the sports news this morning on Morning Ireland on Rte1 radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Got a mention at the very end of the 9pm news tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hardly unlucky?

It looks like a straight up port/starboard issue and the boat on the port tack didn't keep sufficiently clear.

I suspect that 2Farr's insurance will be paying for a new mast for Headhunter. I'd be absolutely hopping mad if I was on headhunter (as the guy shaking his arms in the air appears to be), especially considering they travelled from the UK and were disabled at the very start of the very first race!

• Advertisement

I bet the 2Farr lads wish they were on their J109 instead!!

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭POBox19

From the protest documents filed on RacingRulesOfSailing.org

DESCRIPTION OF INCIDENT
    Both boats on starboard off startline. 2269 circa 50m to leeward, after approx 1 minute 30, 2269
    tacked onto port. As 2269 approached Headhunter, 2269 made a very late decision to bear away
    behind Hesdhunter, resulting in the rigs colliding. Headhunter’s rig came down and struck the
    helmsman.

FACTS FOUND

1. The incident occurred shortly after the start of Race 1 for Class 2, when the wind was 14 knots and there were small
      waves.
    2. GBR5694 was sailing close-hauled on starboard tack, with IRL2269 sailing close-hauled on port tack. Both boats on a
      collision course.
    3. When the IRL2269 was at a distance of 5 boat lengths from GBR5694, IRL2269 bore away.
    4. IRL2269’s main sheet got jammed while bearing away to pass astern of GBR5694.
    5. While IRL2269 was bearing away, and the boats were level with each other, IRL2269 became upright and there was
      contact between the rigs.
    6. As a result of the contact, the mast of GBR5694 broke and fell on the deck injuring the helm of GBR5694. There was
      also severe damage to the mainsail and the bow fitting was broken.
    7. GBR5694 did not finish Race 1.
    8. IRL2269 retired from Race 1.

CONCLUSIONS AND RULES THAT APPLY
    Rules: RRS 10, 14,

1. IRL2269 on port failed to keep clear of GBR5694 on starboard, and broke RRS 10.
    2. IRL2269 did not avoid contact when it was reasonably possible, and broke RRS 14.
    3. It was not reasonably possible for GBR5694 the right-of-way boat to avoid contact with IRL2269 when it was clear
      that IRL2269 was not keeping clear. GBR5694 did not break RRS 14.

DECISION
    The protest is upheld. Since IRL2269 took an appropriate penalty by retiring, she is not further penalized under RRS
    64.2(a).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Obviously 2Farr at fault, tried to duck and mainsheet got stuck. There but for the grace of god…. Shame for Head Hunter, hope Helm is okay.

The 2Farr lads would be devastated by that, half tonners are a close group. Didn’t seem to phase them but, followed that race with 3 bullets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I would have thought that a stuck mainsheet would cause a boat to heel to windward if bearing away rather than make it stand up?

I do understand that a stuck main would make bearing away very difficult, it's the boat coming upright that confuses me.

When rudder is not large enough/too much pressure on it, letting off the main sheet reduces the force (power) in it and allows better control of boat's direction. When close hauled in a strong wind the natural tendency is for a yacht is to point in to the wind, with the rudder used to counteract it. There can be a lot of force the rudder with it acting more as a brake, if you have too much sail up.

I hope I described it properly, it is something which comes to you naturally with experience and would be different from boat to boat etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement