Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flight cancelled - refund query

• 23-08-2024 9:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We were traveling via Lufthansa (booked through MyTrip) from Dublin Airport, and our entire (return ticket) journey was canceled by Lufthansa due to climate activists sitting on the runway of Frankfurt Airport.

I received a refund of approximately 60%. The travel agency told me not to worry and that the remaining refund will be issued once the return journey (which is on a future date) has taken place. Is this true?

I am worried as the refund process on the MyTrip website is marked as "Completed".

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Paddico

Flew last Christmas from London to home. Ryanair cancelled the flight so had to by a new one for 500ish. It was the week before Christmas.

Ryanair told me I could only have the refund on the original flight which was around 80 quid.

Raised a case with the small claims court.

Within a month got a full refund on the new flight, taxi + train + fee for the claim.

Highly recommend.

Probably took less the 20 mins to fill out the online form and upload receipts.

They haven't a leg to stand on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭masterboy123

That sounds amazing.

Lufthansa airlines is based in Germany. Would small claims court still valid in this case as they are outside of Ireland?

And did you get original cost of €80 + new tickets €500, so total €580?

In my case, the new tickets (bought at Dublin airport) were cheaper as we downgraded to Economy class compared to the original Business class tickets.

Hi all,

I still haven't received the full refund from MyTrip. They keep saying they are working on it with Lufthansa. It's been over 6 weeks at this point and about €2k has not been refunded. When I contact Lufthansa directly, they say they can't help me since the tickets were not purchased directly from them.

What can I do now to get the money back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

As well as the costs directly associated with the flights you may also be entitled to compensation - I am not entirely 100 sure whether a protest at the airport would be covered or not:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel-and-recreation/air-travel/compensation-for-overbooked-and-delayed-flights/

It was outside of airlines hand and an exceptional case, so compensation will not be given. I checked it.

I am looking for advice on what to do to get the full ticket cost back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,614 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Court case against the travel agent. If it is over 2000 you can't use small claims, so this may not be financially effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭SteM

Is it possible for you to do a credit card chargeback? I think there is a time limit but you can contact your cc provider and they'll give you information on it.

I paid via debit card as there was 75€ discount if you paid via debit card. I don't think there is a chargeback service available on AIB debit cards?

It's just over 2000, so I wouldn't mind losing €11 or so. Could I tell travel agent that I am going through small claims court if I am not paid in the next 5 days?

You can't cut the claim to get under the limit.

• Advertisement

Actually, it is just under 2000 if I remove insurance, which it says is not refundable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭SteM

I think you can do a chargeback on debit cards, I'd call them to check anyway.

Discounts like that are explicitly illegal; so you're not dealing with the best quality operator here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭SVI40

You can do a charge back on Debit card too. You have 120 days to lodge the charge back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

In your original post you stated this was a return flight, that the outward flight was cancelled and you were refunded 60% of the fare as compensation for that even. You further stated the the return part of the journey would take place later. So what has changed to warrant a further refund? That is the first thing a court or credit card company will want to know if you request a charge back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭steve-o

It sounds like Lufthansa only cancelled the outward leg. That's understandable because they don't know if you still want to use the return leg. You should make it clear that you don't want to use it, and the travel agent should tell Lufthansa to cancel it. Only then will Lufthansa issue a refund. Otherwise there's a risk that you'll simply be treated as a "no-show" on the day of the return leg and have to fight to get anything back.

That said, you should not have needed to buy any new tickets. It was Lufthansa's responsibility to get you to your destination

So outward (flying out of Dublin) flight was cancelled due to climate activists sitting on the runway in Frankfurt. The options given to us and this is in writing via an email from Lufthansa that "we are unable to rebook you on another flight and advise you to look at alternative options yourself" and the full ticket (outward + inward) was canceled for a full refund.

MyTrip told me Lufthansa has refunded for the outward trip only and will refund the inward ticket when the actual return date has elapsed. And that has elapsed 3 weeks ago.

So we didn't use outward and inward journeys from Lufthansa.

It is clearly mentioned that both journeys were canceled and have an email from the travel agency highlighting the whole trip is cancelled for a full refund. So the possibility of "no show" didn't exist.

I wanted to keep the return ticket but MyTrip advised it was not possible.

Lufthansa emailed me that "we are unable to rebook you on another flight and advise you to look at alternative options yourself".

I have submitted AIB dispute transaction now.

Lets see what happens next.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well if Lufthansa cancelled the entire ticket, I'd be very surprised if they did not refund the agency in full at the time. Sounds very iffy.

In making your claim be sure to attach the Lufthansa documentation showing the flight was cancelled in full at the time and put it front and center. When you make a charge back claim or similar the other party is asked to comment, so it's important that they have the true situation staring them in the face when they are asked.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I will attach email proof that Lufthansa cancelled the flight and even asked me to look for other options. But the chargeback is from Mytrip rather than Lufthansa. Would it still matter when sending the documents to the chargeback team?

Trying to find if Mytrip

https://ie.mytrip.com/rf/contact-us

are based in Ireland or headquarters is somewhere in mainland Europe?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

MyTrip is part of the Etraveli Group, based in Uppsala, Sweden. No Irish offices as far as I can see.

Also trades under the GoToGate name.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoToGate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭beachhead

If a charge back fails prepare the same documents for the Small Claims Court.Send copies of all the documents of your trip regardless of where they originated if you want the court to adjudicate fully on your claim.That includes correspondence from mytrip and Lufthansa and telling the court the exact figure you paid(you can exclude the insurance policy amount),the amount of refunded received,the amount you want refunded.Mytrip's explanation of waiting for the return date to pass before refunding is ridiculous.Once the outward flight is cancelled the same goes for the return,if it is part of the same booking reference

Thanks,

Can I still go to Small Claims court if mytrip is based in Sweden? Although, they have an Irish phone number but maybe it's diverted somehow.

Also, the initial tickets were just under €5000 and remaining amount they owe me is just under €2000. Would it fall under the limits of Small Claims Court as the initial amount was €5000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭geographica

Small claims court has upper limit of €2000

So the initial amount paid was 4900, and I received a partial refund, with a remaining balance of 1900. could I proceed with small claims court?

That's most helpful.

In this case could I still use Small Claims Court?

• Advertisement

I imagine so, once the actual claim is below €2000

I think the main point imo is you booked the flights while located and resident in Ireland;the outstanding amount owed to you is e2,000 or less;mytrip is taking your money so must be liable to the laws of the Republic/EU.It's a while since I used the court but I imagine you can still speak to to the clerk of the district court in your area-who will be dealing with your eventual claim to ask them if your claim is valid

Thanks for this. I researched "Terms and Conditions" on ie.mytrip.com and it says their registered address is Helsinki, Finland. And for small claims court, both parties must be based in Ireland.

"Both the claimant and the respondent must be living or based in Ireland. If either party lives or is based in another EU member state, the European small claims procedure should be used"

Good.You can pursue a claim then.Mentioning the EU small claims procedure to mytrip should wake them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,735 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Your insurance wasn't refunded because it wasn't cancelled; the policy is still valid.

Have you considered claiming against your insurance policy for the unreimbursed portion of your ticket? This is precisely the kind of thing that any half-way fit-for-purpose travel insurance policy should cover.

The insurance company wants medical certificate if we cancelled our flight due to health reasons. But we didn't even cancel it. It doesn't cover cancellation by airlines, that was an add-on insurance that I didn't buy. Insurance policy is from MultiTrip Premium package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,735 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Pretty shíte insurance policy, so. Thanks for the name — I'll know who not to insure with in the future. Still, it was worth looking into.

Advertisement