Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French man accused of drugging his wife and inviting men to rape her

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

So when I said 55 km it was actually only 50km, so in fact closer than I thought? Thanks for that.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Yeah like I said, like Shipman. But that doesn't mean other doctors haven't killed far fewer patients, and in fact the NHS changed its whole organisation of doctors' surgery as a result of Shipman, so that it's now very rare to have single doctor practices. And Shipman didn't bring in 70 other doctors to join him. So we're already in a situation where 'men drugging women to have sex' is not nearly as rare as Shipman.

Because my point is not that men all around the country are pimping their wives out to other men. My point is that some perfectly normal seeming men, with jobs and families are doing some version of drugging their partner for sex, and that when other men are aware of it they let it go on. Male solidarity? Bros not hos? I don't know - but not one man went to the police, or even made an anonymous phone call. Even though 30% of those interested didn't go through with it so had done nothing illegal.

And maybe male posters (not you) getting their knickers in a twist about women saying "this is more worrying than just a single madman", are part of why these men get off with it. Because we're not even allowed to talk about it without being attacked. It's more important to men like overheal that men's feelings shouldn't be hurt than that the subject should be allowed to be discussed openly.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭kaymin

funny how you are so violently pro woman but your signature is transphobic. You seem to only care for the safety of a select group and **** everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

The distance from Mazan or Paris is important in terms of the getting a handle on the scale.

If all the men who raped the victim are within 50km of Mazan; then that's 50-60 men out of a population of 500,000.

If they are all within 100km then that's 50-60 men out of a population of 4,000,000. Both population according to chatgpt.

All local or mostly local means nothing in terms of quantifying the scale of what is one of the horrific things I've ever read.

When we have the names and locations of all the perpetrators we'll have some idea of the size of the pool the husband selected from.

Given the scale of this, the ease of using the web to carry it out, I'd be surprised if there aren't more. Maybe not as prolific but there must be others.

It really is hard to wrap your head around the horror of what happened to this woman. There must be a better way to prosecute cases than making her sits through weeks of this.

My work brings me into all types of courts civil, criminal, coroner and I frequently observe victims or their families having to sit through some pretty difficult evidence. There's a atmosphere/tension that's hard to describe; but it's usually for an hour or two or at most a couple of days. The sheer enormity of this thing is hard to comprehend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Unfortunately the horrific experience of the victim is being lost in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

But you don't seem to have an actual point

I mean he targeted a certain crowd looking for this

If he hadn't done that he'd be have been rumbled

They let him film and take pics like

That is grade a stupid

It is a miracle no one ratted him out

It's too late to posting links when you can easily find it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Help me out here: the NYT reported 83 suspects, and that 50 have been charged with rape, and that the daughter stated 72. The article that was linked to here in the thread said

police counted 92 rapes committed by 72 men, of whom 51 were formally identified. 

Something doesn't math out here, where are you getting that 30 didn't rape her, genuine question I want to clear up this math as it shouldn't be controversial: 50 charged (NYT), 51 identified (Telegraph) edit: 1 didn't rape the victim, he instead is charged raping his own wife, and then 72, and 83, then, 11 didn't rape her. Not 30. No pointed argument about that, just trying to clarify the exact numbers as it does not appear to add up to what is known. I don't recall reporting linked to in this thread reporting 30 as a figure and not seeing it in either of these 2 articles.

Thread's been over this ask about why they didn't go to the police: 1) none of us know, the courts involved may get to the bottom of that, 2) none of us again know if they weren't involved in various other sex crimes, the husband particularly is an edge case even among rapists but we know he is charged in other rapes of his own spanning decades, and was upskirting women with cameras, etc. etc., it seems entirely reasonable to assume that these 11-30 individuals were not simply fantasy-curious innocents and 3) had already likely crossed the criminal boundary through the means and methods by which they were recruited by the husband, even if they did not go through with raping her (or they feared they had already committed a crime or didn't want to be investigated) 4) We don't even know what their reasons for not raping her were, it could have ranged from as you suggest (and they allege in their legal defenses) 'this is wrong, I'm out,' to 'actually she's not my type' to 'this feels like a trap' etc. etc.

The investigation of the website was "across Europe" without anyone yet telling us the full scope of where these men in this particular case all hailed from, that is the bounds of where our knowledge is about the case:

He met most of the men, the investigating judge’s report stated, in a chat room on a notorious, unmoderated French website implicated in more than 23,000 police cases in France alone from 2021 to 2024. It was finally shut down, and its owner arrested, in June after an 18-month investigation stretching across Europe.

The chat room where most of the men met Mr. Pelicot was called “a son insu,” which means “without their knowledge.”

I note the chat room wasn't "without her knowledge, Mazan edition" etc. and it's not as though people who speak French are bound to live within France, as stated some of the men are truck drivers, soldiers, tradesmen etc. and travel for work, especially in the EU, is hardly uncommon such as for trades, I knew people in Clarecastle who flew home on the weekends, but made a killing flying out to the UK and France etc. for road-related construction and engineering during the Celtic Tiger, flights being cheap and fast, and their work paying quite well.

We agree that the case is shocking, these men are monsters, and quite a lot of them are local, but I would not go so far as to agree with your initial assessments - that it's "probably the same everywhere" and that this case is not some "Little Britain" outlier:

He also didn't have to search too far to recruit the others - it was all within a fairly small zone. So unless there's some reason to think that particular small town and its surroundings make up some sort of "Little Britain" incestuous village - which AFAIK there isn't, then it's probably the same everywhere. Which means there are a lot of men living normal lives who are eager to rape an unconscious woman as long as her husband isn't going to punch their lights out.

The nature of this case is highly unorthodox compared to reporting on rapes I have seen across my lifetime (which does include the world over, reports of sex rings, child sex rings, human trafficking etc. but this case is still something of an oddity how it went about). A sinister motive, with a found opportunity through the internet chatroom, and as discussed, many of these men were "working class and middle class," people with their own money, and means, it would not surprise me that these men could travel far for the opportunity the husband was presenting to them.

We would even agree that there are, given the insight the case has offered, more individual men out in the world, of status, who have the means, and the motivation and may or may not have the opportunity to travel for consensual or non consensual encounters, I think it would be fair to say there is at least one matching that description in most communities - truck driver, soldier, priest, handyman, any walk of life, the walk of life likely doesn't factor to their criminally deviant disposition (though in some cases I argue like eg. priests, again, they seek out positions of social trust as a means to the motive).

Where we diverge is I think it's a stretch to say these kind of rape sex rings happen everywhere though as your above statement would imply in this thread as being 'in every or nearly every village' there being an "incestuous" sex ring underbelly either happening or just waiting to happen if one husband gets on the current form of seedy craigslist and asks if people wanna have a nonconsensual go of their wife.

Post edited by Overheal on

The above quote is fundamentally pretty accurate though. You and a couple of others have been trying to make out that I said "small ads in the local paper and suchlike, which I didn't.

We also don't know that he wouldn't have had just as much success with a more open format. It may have been the risk of a WOMAN denouncing him that stopped him putting a small ad in the local rag.

• Advertisement

One million people live within a 50km radius of Mazan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I already explained where the 3 in 10 came from, and probably gave a link, but you were too busy calling me a liar. So you can just go back over the thread if you want to know.

Meanwhile, here's another one for you from that same list of accused men above: Simoné Mekeneze, ex-army ranger, now living in Carpentras with his American wife and three sons, barely 9 km away from Mazan

https://www.facebook.com/simone.mekenese.3/

And not a single one so far has turned out to be from the other side of France. Never mind elsewhere in Europe.

Because that’s not the intent of the OP and their anti everyone but their definition of what a woman is.

Post number two on this post said all that was needed. The OP’s agenda is why this toxic crap still dribbles on

Even if it's four million, zero out of the at least one hundred men who knew what was happening went to the police. Not a single one. What are the odds of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

this thread was never, ever about the victim or the case. It has gone exactly as the OP wanted.

I already explained where the 3 in 10 came from, and probably gave a link, but you were too busy calling me a liar.

I never called you a liar.

"probably" gave a link doesn't clarify it at all. I guess I am given no choice but to go with the information I can verify, which is 11 men didn't go through with the rape of the woman here. If you wish to claim 19 other men didn't you're welcome to supply the evidence definitively.

3 down, 50 to go in your series profiling the men charged, I look forward to the remainder.

Jasus, it took you longer to write that reply than it would to post the link. I've googled and couldn't find.

• Advertisement

Right. I said he didn't put it in a small ad - because I had been accused of having implied he had.

Where do you get at least 100 hundred from? The NYT reported a suspect list numbering 83.

You clearly haven't been following what I've been posting, except to try to pick holes in it, so, whatever. Most of what you "don't understand" I did post links to. I'm certainly not going "help you out" now that you've got yourself into a massive hole of not having a clue.

Haha. Should have read what I posted then. It's all on here.

(Other people have also posted about the 30 others BTW, but you were too busy claiming to think I was saying the rapists could have gone to the police that your rage didn't allow you to read what was in front of your eyes. But you'll find that info round about that part of the thread. If you're actually interested. Bit late now TBH)

Said without evidence then and dismissed without evidence. If this is your '3 in 10' claim from the OP, which cites the rapist husband as the source,

(about 3 in every 10 men refused, according to the principal accused)

I'm going to dismiss that with evidence, as the reporting makes clear the suspect list was 83 from the trove of evidence, the recordings made of all the encounters. I also wouldn't trust what the husband says as far as I could throw his house.

Over the course of their investigation, the police found more than 20,000 videos and photographs, many of them dated and labeled, in an electronic folder titled “abuse.” The timeline they built began in 2011. The list of suspects grew to 83.

Said without evidence, dismissed without evidence.

Others have been misled by your OP citing the perp's claim of 3 in 10, extrapolating that to 30%, which then got confused as 30 across the thread in a warped game of telephone from all I can see. This is why I asked you to help clarify the numbers without any controversy, except you see the need to make even clarifying these numbers a point of trivial controversy. "Something doesn't math out here, where are you getting that 30 didn't rape her, genuine question I want to clear up this math as it shouldn't be controversial"

• Advertisement

"He put up an ad advertising his plan. They contacted him…….When they contacted him they then went onto a private subforum or site of his (I'm not sure which) called "Without her knowledge" to complete the plans."

no one can keep up with your tsunami of postings.

Most of us have work to attend & don’t have the endless hours you have to put into your agenda

Not really, it's listed in the court case, people have listed who they are as they go through the case

You need to work to on your googling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I think you may misunderstand what a psychopath is. It is not generally a person who spends their days dreaming about violence and carrying it out whenever the opportunity arises.
    It is more that they act only in their own interest, and will manipulate or abuse you, or anyone else who comes into their field of action, to get whatever they want and regardless of the consequences for others. Not every psychopath is physically violent – it is more that you are a fly on the wall, or a snail on the ground of their existence and they will swat you away or trample you into the earth without a thought for your well-being. They can easily climb the ladder of success because they don’t care about causing a trail of destruction and devastation in other people’s lives; look at Netanyahu’s behaviour for an absolutely extreme example in today’s world, or consider the incompetent co-worker who manages to sweet-talk the boss into giving them something they deserve less than others, and often at the expense of others.

Cyprien Culieras is on the list - only one person with that name on FB. In an open relationship, lives in Lille, 900km from Mazan

• Advertisement

How did you find the list?

Who is on Facebook anymore

This, though in addition psychopaths can be quick to escalate violence, eg. if they're attacked they will by default not hold back. They don't for instance have any concern for the person they are attacking, neurotypical concerns about causing permanent injury or death etc. they will tend to go all out, not hold their punches etc. if they are provoked or self-stirred to violence to achieve what it is they want. Trample indeed.

"Haha"!!!

Do you think that you should be looking for gotcha moments on this thread?

Do you really think that you scoring an internet point should be the purpose of this thread?

The victim here has suffered in the most horrific manner, that should be the focus of the thread.

Your own standard applied back,

it's listed in the court case, people have listed who they are as they go through the case

You need to work to on your googling

If you have better information feel free to provide it.

He found the list by doing what I told him to do

I mean duh

Well, 2 people with that name

But they're both in Lille.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not a single one. What are the odds of that?

You seem to have severe difficulty understanding simple enough concepts. These men - who self-selected somewhat by choosing to seek out and interact with pervert chatrooms - conspired with the husband in his scheme. You'll need to ask someone familiar with French law, but under Irish or English law they could be guilty as accomplices for other rapes even if they did not go through with their "own".

It is quite likely that there was some communication between the husband and rapists (or would-be rapists) before he invited them to his home. By encouraging him they would be guilty as accomplices. Therefore equal in the eyes of the law (Irish law at least) with the husband with regard to crimes he committed with their approval or encouragement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

A population of between 900,000 and 1,000,000. If Paris, where some of the crimes took place, is included a similar radius would have a popuation of approx. 12,000,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭deirdremf

You are right that it is absolutely horrific, and I think the woman is a wonder for going through with it - so brave - as so many of us wouldn't be able.

Having said that, there's another aspect of the situation: she is also forcing these men to explain themselves, in public, to her. While I hope each of them is handed a long, stiff sentence in the roughest prison in France, what she is doing is the truest way of holding them to account. A trial where each of them pleaded guilty behind closed doors "in order to protect the victim" isn't a very satisfying way of seeing justice being done, regardless of how harsh the sentence later handed down might be.

• Advertisement

Well so no problem then.

We've now expanded the radius of the crime to 917 km from the information we have from just the first handful of perps we've looked up whom were charged. Well over 70 million people live in that sphere. Might as well cut out non-French speaking areas out of that though, split the difference and just say if they'd come from Lille they'd come from anywhere to carry out the crime, if not from within France (68 Million) from wherever they hailed from and had access to that website that was shut down.

If the lads knew they were raping her then why would they go to the police, in the first place

Some them said he purported it to be a consensual fantasy play and came to realization that it was not that then they would be more likely to come forward but didn't

If they did think it was sketchy then all they had to do was pickup a payfone

Again jumping the gun somewhat, as you are prone to do

A Bing man, all credit to you, maybe ask Jeeves

Maybe it cane to you in a dream

Didier Sambuchi is on the list, 24km from Mazan (lest anyone think I'm being selective!)

The auld search button is red hot tonight, the garda are hiring lad

If they did think it was sketchy then all they had to do was pickup a payfone

What payphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What bit about the "self selection by visiting the pervert chatrooms" is causing the most difficulty?

As I said, they were possibly also liable to considered as accomplices - even if they had genuinely believed it was some kind of role-play. Are they likely to turn themselves in?

Payphone or not, they likely would have been at risk of being traced once the chatroom activity was flagged.

• Advertisement

A post about the victim. Well done, and I wholeheartedly agree with you. She is a remarkably courageous woman.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement