Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gràinne Seoige in the Dàil?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dual code GAA player of much repute, primarily before getting elected as a TD.

He was approached by multiple parties to run; so very much a celeb candidate by 1940s standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭paul71

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Don't forget his key trait and attraction. He's from Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Head up her backside and known for it. Her sister is the more affable of the two by a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

Did RTÉ fly Gráinne in from her diamond mine in South Africa,at taxpayers expense, to present 'Crimline' for a number of years. ( was she represented by the lad that got the nice packet for Tubs?)

All fine and well choosing celebrity candidates but will they sort the housing crisis if they are chosen to run in the election.

They may have no interest in the housing crisis as they are celebrity candidates and are well off so have no interest in the issues of most importance to the electorate.

(Sad fact that we are not able to find housing for our own,HENCE THEY ARE EMIGRATING, and yet we are handing out millions to cowboys around the country who are providing housing for the unfortunates that are coming here due to war,etc in their homelands. Those cowboys are destroying small communities and do not give a sh1t for the people they are housing or for the communities they are destroying….and the more money they get the more 'local' hotels they will purchase to get even more Government Guaranteed money.)

UNFORTUNATELY THE IRISH ELECTORATE do not use their any sort of 'cop on' and are star struck by celebrities and the same celebrities do not give a sh1t about them other than getting their vote!

Just as a query: How many job changes has Gráinne Seoige had over the recent past………more job changes than some people change their socks, I reckon!

Perhaps she is doing it for the grá of 'giving something back'. If I had a diamond mine I wouldn't be putting my name forward for an election.Will she bring her husband back with her,long distance marriages are difficult,at the best of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I'd say mesell that she saw O'Caoimh was packing in and reckoned 'now there's a nice little number for me'

Now I could be all wrong…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No person with half a brain and a bit of research would consider a TDs job as a "nice little number".

Depends on how you do it , bro.

Get my dhhrift?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Applications to be a TD? A few hundred candidates out of a couple of million eligible isn't many. Not all of the candidates actually want to be a TD either, you have parties putting forward extra candidates who aren't going to get elected as part of a strategy, also now some are being convinced to go forward just to fulfil the gender quota. There are also VAW types who might think they want it but have no real interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭its_steve116

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Seems when these grifters have run out of road with the media employers, they turn their attention to ‘politics’ ?

Definite trend appearing in this upcoming and recent elections.

Why are they grifters for having a job? And shouldn't politics represent a broad spectrum of society. They're just running for election, they'll still need to face the electorate and get elected…

They, to use the Olympics analogy, have a 40 metre start in to 400m race…..face recognition.

Some poor lad or lass busting a gut for years helping the populace has no such wide recognition.

This lot are parachuted in with all bells and whistles from ‘above’ to sinecure themselves when they

have run out of road everywhere else.

I would never vote for one of these gloamers. No siree.

Recognition is important, I'll allow for that. But if an alternative candidate for a party is somebody with no recognition then is that not a futile thing to run them anyway?

Realistically in Ireland the individual candidates are not as important as the party they run for. So if you are a supporter of FF and having Seoige on the ticket might help attract a few more votes, then that is better than having the local councillor who has put years in running and losing. (Unless that local councillor is the likes of a Jackie Healy-Rae who got passed over for selection and went and won the seat as an independent).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

DO you blame the parties, or the candidates, or the voters for this recognition effect?

The Parties for taking the ‘easy way out’ and parachuting this kind of candidate in.

The voters fo not being able to see through this practice and run these chancers out of the constituency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Doc07

in the grand scheme of things I’d say there are feck all serious applications

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

You've obviously no experience of the run-up and the actual selection of candidates.

It's vicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Danny healy ray

she had a grand rack on her always votes there and looks good in a tight skirt she will have all the balachors vote if i do say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Would she be any worse than some local publican or school teacher who we seem to like electing in this country.

It's up to the electorate to decide now. But at a minimum she seems like she would be well versed in current affairs and well able to speak publicly, so that's a benefit already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

we have elected some lunatics over the years… Mick Wallace Clare Daly and Ruth Coppinger come to mind… met Grainne a few times.. she is very nice.. and she is a massive coup for fianna fail… its looking good for FF coming upto next election.. is it 14 FG TD's not seeking re election?? they could be down a good few seats.. Greens will be wiped out.. SF stalling it seems.. its FF's to lose..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Hopefully the greens don’t get anywhere near power after the next election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Hard to see the electorate turning her down. FF surely guaranteed at least one seat in that constituency and I find it hard to imagine Galway city councillor John Connolly, admirable chap though I'm sure he is, finishing ahead of TV's Grainne.

Quite likely to be fast-tracked for promotion if she and FF get in, given Norma Foley is apparently the cream of their female crop as things stand…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"destroying communities" 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 god forbid you'd see a few brown people about the place.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, people have short memories.

The worst economic crash in the history of our state forgiven and forgotten, the question is why? What on earth do the likes of Norma Foley, Darragh O'Brien or Stephen Donnelly have to offer to anyone? There is zero talent in FF (apart from Micheal Martin, who ironically is detested by quite a few in his party, and will certainly retire soon) and a history of highly questionable ethics that has never really been addressed.

There is no rational reason for FF to still exist.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It may not be the thread, but interesting to look across all political parties and point out backbenchers or now opposition TDs who it can be said have the ability to master a portfolio. I'm not saying whether we agree with them or not. I would name Brendan Griffin, Alan Dillon, Alan Kelly and Ivana Bacik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You have to feel a bit sorry (in as much a way as one can feel sorry) for the other three FF candidates who all had significant experience as public representatives. All apparantly withdrew their nominations today.

They've all been in local politics for various amounts of years dealing with the donkey work required to maintain a role in local politics while they one is being parachuted in from on high, from her hand media gig (relative to the two jobs a lot of local reps have to hold down and do for years before getting an opportunity to run for TD)

I appreciate this isn't the first nor the last time this will happen and it really is about getting seats for the party nationally but it is a kick in the teeth for those that have been working hard locally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Fianna Fail are probably very happy with themselves..... I just hope the people who vote, remember what a shower of charlatans they are.... they bankrupted this country and it got soo bad that the ECB couldn't trust us to run our own affairs... and we gave away our sovereignty

Unclear what Griffin has ever done outside politics from his wiki article, and it says he is not contesting the next general election. I did laugh at this line though

Shane Ross, the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, had a toxic relationship with his first junior minister, Patrick O'Donovan.

That seems to folow PO'D around for some reason…

Dillion has the gaa vote…

Alan Kelly is hated by a lot more people than he is admired, it seems. Even within his own party 😂

Bacik raises the IQ of whatever chamber she is elected to, problem is that she had a very hard time being elected to the Dail and her seat is far from secure. A fine university senator though (while we're still allowed to be elitist see you next Tuesdays)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The honest to god gall of not bobson yourself but of some who refuse to admit the obvious FF is rife with corruption as is the Dáil anyone running for them is bound to draw ire. And that RTE was and is also full of corruption and that is something she must have been aware of.

Secondly her TV company went under suffering massive debt.

Remember Noel Kelly in RTE and NK management? Tubridy's manager? well guess who else he managed ?? Seoige. How is she going to handle that??

Secondly she has lived and done business in South Africa also full of corruption and in the diamond industry no less.

The company website for grace diamonds is not very transparent and I can't find anything about the kimberly process on the website for grace diamonds. The kimberly process is the only way a diamond can be ethically sourced in south africa and if it doesnt go through this process .. its not ethical. Most companies plaster it all over the website. The company site says they adhere to the standards of the  Jewellery Council of South Africa however that is a registered private company when you look into it.

I do apologize if it seems like a witch hunt. I do assure people I dont have a pitchfork at all. But really the feigned innocence that people don't know what all this is about.

Being with NK management alone would raise an eyebrow.

She is beautiful. She would probably be the most beautiful politician we would have ever had. She will always be beautiful.

But honestly .. she has business baggage and its very Fianna Fail esque altogther.

• Advertisement

What if you added RTE clowns and NK management clowns to FF clowns gave it a shake and threw in SA business deals??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Popularity stunt.
    What does she know about politics?

I would say quite lot… she presented the news quite a lot here and on sky.. i would just say she has a lot of baggage and questions .. for someone who hasnt even begun yet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

FG rehabilitated FF since 2011 by becoming just as corrupt, wasteful and prone to cronyism as FF themselves.

Dara Murphy (Expense fraud)

Alan Farrell (Insurance fraud)

Coveney (Zappone job)

Maria Bailey (Swing gate)

Phil Hogan (Irish Water setup)

Hugh McElvaney (Planning bribes)

Michelle Mulherin (Expense fraud)

Etc.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

I am in her constituency and she will win a seat unfortunately. There is a big FF vote out west. Her FF running mate will struggle (Cllr John Connolly). Celebrity politics.

whatever about the others… Phil Hogan is a huge loss to politics… a very very talented man… was EU trade commissioner.. a massive job to have… an awful loss in my view

assuming the election will be spring 2025.. there will be people voting in that election who werent even born when the celtic tiger was its height in 2006… so they will have no memory of what happened.. they will be thinking ahead rather than looking back… sorry to make you feel old…!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

….and it ll be another ffg government, and another, and another…..

She is beautiful. She would probably be the most beautiful politician we would have ever had. She will always be beautiful.

Get a grip ffs

Scrap the cap!

Yes it's such a shame he thought the law did not apply to people like him.

Scrap the cap!

So how many multi-billion-euro bank bailouts did the above soak the taxpayer for? More grasping at straws than Wurzel Gummidge practising self-abuse. FF always were and always will be the party of real corruption.

Scrap the cap!

Don't get me wrong - FF should not exist after what they did. But FG have helped them recover. The vast spend on Irish Water and the Children's hospital show how wasteful they can be. The inaction over RTE and subsequent bailout show they protect their interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Quitelife

seems a bit of a joke these days what passes as a politician - Nina Carberry , Grainne ni Seoige …. It seems FF & FG voters will vote for Krusty the Clown if head office put them forward ☹️

Make the Rich Richer

Vote Fine Gael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think Phil is back to help FG in the GE. Phil in reality is a big gobsh1te, super ego. He's the lad that was going to drive through all the metering and water charges, great success that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement