Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The decline of FG?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,238 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I agree it became largely a sham animosity decades ago.
    Problem is since 2011 more and more are seeing it. In power separately, in C&S or coalition they offer the same thing. They are going looking for something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭standardg60

Nope I read it it specifically said can't afford two items from the list. They didn't even do their own research, just drew their findings from a CSO survey, meanwhile the SVP noted a 6% drop in numbers asking for help with the return to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

You keep harping on about the fall in FG's seat total as though that were the sole measure of a party's performance but that's not how politics works. For most of it's 'wilderness years' between 1987 and 2011 FG actually had more seats than in the last Dail, let alone the current one. Does that mean they were actually doing better during that period than they have been over the last decade?

The reality of politics pretty much anywhere is that the longer a party is in government, the harder it has to run to stand still. If Simon Harris leads FG back into government after the next election in some sort of roughly equal partnership with FF, IMO that's the most that could be realistically be expected of him at this stage in FG's development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭pureza

Yerrah,you only buy one thing as evidenced by 60,000 posts on the topic

We heard you the first time

Other opinions do vary

They were put back into power on 36% in 2011 and never got near that again in a GE. 25% I think in 2016 just ahead of FF.
    I agree with the longevity in power point but they declined within one term in office by 11 percent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭mehico

You said:

That report is one of the biggest piles of dog turd I've ever read. 20% of kids here don't have a warm coat or 2 pairs of shoes?

Absolute nonsense.

I replied that is not what the report stated and outlined how ESRI define material deprivation in this report affecting almost a quarter of a million children in this country and now you are agreeing that it referred to families not being able to afford 2 items from the list of essentials?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,486 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ah, still in denial that the local election results meant anything.

but the 77 seats they won in 2011 is way beyond their ‘natural historical level,’ even more so given there are so many more options for voters than there used to be. Given also they were implementing austerity measures, I would question whether there was any way they could have retained anything like that 36% at the next election.

On housing, all the numbers are pointing upwards in terms of housing completions, number of first-time buyers etc. Given the numbers coming from Ukraine, it is actually amazing that the homelessness numbers aren't worse.

As for child poverty, this government has been doing things like subsidised childcare and hotmeals in schools instead of the direct cash payments which were being spent on child benefit day specials in the pubs and bookies. Given the level of direct cash benefits for kids on social welfare and for child benefit, back to school allowance, special payments etc, no child should be in poverty.

In blanch’s curious world losing 10 seats is a feather in the cap. 😁

• Advertisement

You are mixing up poverty with deprivation of two items out of a list. They are not the same thing.

Comical Ali stuff.

The halving of SF's vote in the recent local elections must be biting deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭spillit67

The sad thing is that the opposition have not accepted that FG and FF saw their lowest moment in 2020. The decline in support for both was incredible in the space of 13 years.

More from blanch’s curious world a gain of 20 seats is bad. 😁😁

A political party wreck the country, you come in on a wave of 36% and blow it all within one term of office. Ff finish 1% behind you. The strategic geniuses then decide, let’s get closer to them.

I agree a lot of good work going on and there are no quick fixes unfortunately but on the housing issue in particular, will people going to the polls be thankful in government policy over last 5 to 10 years or frustrated/angry?

Goes without saying there should be no child poverty in a developed county such as this but SVP have given a figure of 250,000 children living in deprivation currently.

Poverty and deprivation are closely related and should not be as prevalent in a developed country such as Ireland.

SVP have also said that the numbers contacting them about back-to-school is down 6%. You can never eliminate child poverty because you can never eliminate bad parenting, and direct provision can only do so much.

The work that O'Gorman has done on childcare, the other initiatives around hot meals in schools and free school books are bringing our non-monetary benefits into line with the rest of Europe, at the same time when our monetary benefits are amongst the highest.

Yes good to see a reduction in calls regarding help with back to school, often a very stressful time for parents but SVP have also stated in their Pre-Budget Submission that there are 250,000 children currently living in enforced deprivation and 913,000 people are going without basics:

https://www.svp.ie/news/svp-vision-for-2030-prompts-recommendations-for-next-government/

• Advertisement

Again other opinions vary

A lot of votes were loaned to FG to turf out the incumbents in 2011 and it worked

A lot of votes were loaned it seems in 2020 to SF doubling their vote to no avail,how many loaned votes does current polling suggest SF have lost and they never having been in government at all?

People in glass houses etc

Yeh I agree. Opinions vary. So what? It’s a discussion forum with many opinions. Funny yours needs SF to make sense of things or is it look over there and not at us?
    I think SF have very little to do wirh FG’s decline as stated.

Opinions may vary, but facts don't.

In the general election of 2020, SF got 24.5% of the vote, and failed to go into government.

In the local election of 2024, SF got 11.8% of the vote.

In the European election of 2024, SF got 11.1% of the vote.

Their European election performance has declined two elections in a row, from 19.8% under Gerry Adams in 2014 to 11.8% with MLMD's first go to 11.1% in 2024.

Them's the facts, that is what a decline looks like.

With respect I don't find this comment pleasant or funny given the topic being discussed and the large numbers of the population affected as cited by ESRI and SVP.

I don't believe that poverty is accurately measured.

SF were mentioned to make a legitimate point,the folly of their no 1 supporter here going on about vote loss by a government party during the worst downturn & austerity ever vs what seems to be happening to the chief opposition party after 5 more years of government by their opponents,which is a worse political performance,its all about context?

As I said glass houses etc

• Advertisement

blanch the point made about FG’s decline has nothing to do with comparisons to how others are doing or did do in elections.

FG’s vote under Garret was 44% Enda got 36% and lost 11% of it and Leo managed 20%

They lost votes in the local and EU elections too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

FG have been in Government for almost 14 years now. They will still be in Government after the next election. The reality is that almost a quarter of the electorate think they represent their views. Moderate centrist politics with absolutely massive tax revenue that will be used for things like pensions and social welfare as our overall population profile continues to age.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

We routinely get all sorts of suggestions about what SF need to do to improve their vote, not least from you. Ditch Gerry, ditch MLMD, turn their back on their past, etc etc.

What do FG need to do to arrest the decline in their vote and end the dependence on FF who might try to distinguish themselves as a different party at any time.

end the dependence on FF

Why should they seek to do this? What is wrong with an ongoing loose alliance with FF from FG's perspective?

might try to distinguish themselves as a different party at any time.

Well FF did their level best to do this in the run-up to the last election and look where they ended up

Best way for FG to ensure FF 'stay true' is maximise the combined party seat total, ideally securing a majority of Dail seats between (which looks eminently achievable in the upcoming election) and concomitantly make it as difficult as possible for FF & SF to form a government.

The funny thing is,they appear to have done something to arrest it already,you know like dump their leader? You'd swear by you they were in mortal decline or something

Problem for people of your persuasion is,it's blatantly obvious they're not,no matter how much you say it?

Cue...protest 'I never used the words mortal decline' or some such diversion tactic nonsense, like the protest earlier from you about the how is everything so terrible when everything is so good,question I posed to you and you didn't want to answer,upthread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

So after nearly 14 years in power and it base dropping it looks like the FG vote is stabilising and could be back to 2016 levels. +/-3% means it could be 27%..

At 24% with a FF at 20% it means combined the pair are within the grasp of an over majority in November and SF will spend another 5 years moaning. The only goid thing is MLMD will be gone....then again the beardless hate to admit they got it wrong.

Slava Ukrainii

Their vote isn't 24% though. That's as flimsy as SF's 35% was.

As @pureza has mentioned 'mortal decline' what actual vote percentage is mortal decline for FG?

*Pretty poor ambition there BTW. If the goal is as suspected by some and known by many 'just keep the shinners out' and cling to power with who ever, I personally don't think that is sustainable tbh.

I did answer you.
    I said in my opinion things are not terrible but several key things are and FG FF and GRs have demonstrated adequately they can't or lack the will to tackle them.

You did not answer

You just said you didn't say things were terrible and deflected like mad in some effort to avoid why things are so good

Lets be clear Fine Gael had 27% of the vote in 1989

35 years later,4 or 5 months before an election,after 13 years in government,polls have them at 24% and poised to be returned,fierce decline that I don't think?

Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael working together is a seismic change in the way this country was governed by the way,no two ways about it and if its what the public want,it will be with both eyes open now which is democracy isn t it

The biggest mistake in this thread and some of the others is the title

Titles should by virtue of whats inevitable,have a set template "lets bash [insert party name here]"

Interesting panel on Anton Savage’s show this morning Kevin Doyle was asked why FF and FG are doing so well. A lot of it is simply the rejection of SF’s failed state and banana republic narrative that they have been pushing online for over a decade now. People simply don’t believe them.

Looks like another 5 years without SF in Government. Another half decade for the lads who did time behind the wire, on the blanket, in South Armagh.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

You did not answer

You just said you didn't say things were terrible and deflected like mad in some effort to avoid why things are so good

Yeh I did, in the very next post.

I never said things are ‘terrible’. In order not to address the point you made that up. Some things are demonstrably terrible and continue to be..

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/122589539/#Comment_122589539

IMO the coming together of FF and FG will see a continued degradation of their core votes. I think as demonstrated that is happening already.
    The thread title, snowflake considerations aside (in the context of some thread titles seen here) is perfectly valid. In actual voting terms FG's vote has been in decline for 30 years. The combined vote of two similar.

Fair enough on the title of the thread, is it referring to opinion polls or actual elections? If it is elections it probably accurate, FG lost seats at the recent local election where most other parties made gains. For general elections, FG has lost a significant number of seats in each subsequent election since entering government in 2011.

The reason we need to see an actual vote to garner where the FF/FG merger/coalition is at (all here seem to accept that this is in fact a merger now) is polls are one thing but an actual election and delivering that poll percentage is another. Was it Albert who said 'it's the small things that slip you up'.

If there is more to come on waste and ministerial incompetence I'd wager that 4% gain could easily be wiped out.

I think my comment is valid regarding the thread title,this is the Fine Gael bashing thread with various forays into it by the Sinn Féin haters

It's all just noise really

I think also my comment regarding whats been happening in voting over the last 40 years is the introduction of options

Variety

Whats more interesting is the centre,steady as you go nature of the vote in that its the centre variety of options that are doing best isn't it including FF ,FG and their various connected/related gene pools

Anyway,I'll leave ye all at it,4's enough to play this posting tat tit without me for now ,have fun lads

I’m sure the thread title does grate if you are in denial of the black and white facts.

Sure change it or close it, see will that alter reality.

You do seem able to ignore fact. Do you accept the factual evidence that I answered your question on how things were?

• Advertisement

FG core vote was always 20-25%, they seldom went significantly below it in the last 100 years. At time they popped above it to form coalition government's.

In 2011 after the crash it recieved a significant number of FF/floating votes. In the 80's it was the main beneficiary if the floating vote, this transfered to Dick Spring labour party in the 90's.

They transferred back to FFfor the noughtirs. After the 2010 crash a significant cohort of not just the floating but a FF vote as well transfered to Labour and FG. I'm 2016 FG held there core and a bit with it as FF recovered. SF and Ind took the fickle floating vote and held it in the 2020 election. FG held its core more or less and FF took some of its vote back. FF will not recover to its hey day of a 35%+ core vote but will hold a center left core of 20ish% for tge next election

Now as the parties stand it looks like FG will hit the 25%. Not only that FF/FG gene pool hold another 10-15% of the vote. I be watching these transfers I'm the election to see do they transfer to FG/FF or to the left.

At 45% combined and with the left splitting a 40% vote into 5-6 factions FF/FG will hit an overall majority they will hit 90 seats

SF will probably drop 5+ seats and it could be significantly worse if the stand too many candidates

Slava Ukrainii

If the goal is as suspected by some and known by many 'just keep the shinners out' and cling to power with who ever, I personally don't think that is sustainable tbh.

But what political arrangements are 'sustainable' in the long or even medium term anyway? We are coming to the end of a second term of government based around FF-FG agreement. If as is looking increasingly likely FFG secure a narrow majority of seats in the upcoming GE that will set up them up well to retain power in the Dail after that as they can potentially tap pretty much the entire rest of the Dail bar SF and the Hard Left when putting together a government.

But what political arrangements are 'sustainable' in the long or even medium term anyway? 

I am one of those lost voters. And I have not ruled out voting for them again.
    What I won't vote for is a combination of both of them designed simply to hold onto power. That, I am positive, will not be sustainable and at some point the electorate will tire of it.

TBH that's just another way of saying the same thing. The percentage vote that FG can capture is in decline. From 44% under Garret to 20% under Leo.

BS. The 44% under Garrett Fitzgerald was a one off anomaly. Before that FG hovered between 20-30%. They never before attained 44% and never did again and at 44% I think could barely form a government.

Can we say that SF are In permanent decline because they were at 35% and now back below 20%.

You have too much time on your hand stop sitting inside go foa walk and a pint.

Slava Ukrainii

If the electorate vote for FF and FG like the polls are indicating then a coalition including them both will be returned. Democracy folks. Turns out people want broadly centrist politics.

The coalition of the left that was proposed was DOA. Like Ó Broin’s housing plan.

Anomally or not, they were able to attract that vote.

a combination of both of them designed simply to hold onto power. That, I am positive, will not be sustainable and at some point the electorate will tire of it.

But this still isn't saying anything: electorates tire of all political parties and alliances at some point. I've sketched out what looks to me a plausible scenario of FF & FG serving two further terms in some form of partnership, taking FG up close to 25 years in consecutive power if those governments go anywhere near full term. IMO if they achieve that FG's decision to pursue alliance with FF from 2016 will have been entirely vindicated, irrespective of what comes after…

FG also recently overtook SF to be the most popular party amongst 18-34 year olds. An engaged and highly educated electorate don’t fall for fence sitting populism and the banana republic narrative being espoused by some of the parties in opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I wonder if there's any correlation to all the 18-34 year olds being forced to go abroad for work and this fact?

Advertisement