Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LSL to charge for the App

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

OH got the text this morning. He didn't read it.

Martbids would want to get their finger out as IMO it's the worst of the three providers - the move will suit the boys with their hands in around the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

I wonder will the rest of the marts in the GVM group move. You have killmallock, tullamore and abbeyfeale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭limo_100

you know I have never used that one. No mart I look at used it u til now. I have used MartEye with Ballyjamesduff and found it good and LSL and also found it good. The mistake LSL made was not get MartBids and MartEye together and introduce a pricing system together but it’s too late for that now anyway.

if lsl was clever they wouldn’t have looked for any fee like they have what I would have done was look for 10c or something small to be paid to the online provider of every lot bought and sold and that’s how they would make real money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭limo_100

Ud have to imagine they are in open dialogue for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭degetme

I emailed lsl and told them I bought and sold at kilmallock mart and they let me by we'll call it and I can see every mart on lsl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 jambon0104

When They moved to LSL they all went on together. Now 1 has gone there own way. You would imagine they would all go together. Only kanturk and Clare marts have moved in the south. The rest are northern and west. Will any of the kerry marts follow suit?

I would say it's only a matter of time. My count has it at 12 marts gone from LSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Us cute kerry lads won’t be making any hasty decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

what’s LSL . An online mart ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Covid times yes, they were the only one up and running pre lock down. Featured on ettg at the time.

Online buying was coming anyway, covid just speeded it up.

• Advertisement

But my original point was LSL existed before Marteye. Carnaross was the first mart to go online. LSL had a few marts on there books before Marteye got tullow up and going. Same as martbids, they were a few weeks after marteye

See roscommon gone to marteye. That's a big one to loose aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

How many marts do LSL have left now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭I says

Sent my details to LSl no bother watching tullamore today. I’ve bought and sold there so no charge. PR disaster of the highest order.

Now at 13 marts in the republic. Don't know about the north

Is it not 11 in the Republic and 2 in the north

Was talking to a factory man today in the yard and that ballinasloe is moving to Martbids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Marteye has most of the north wrapped up, I think. Only 5 I think on LSL. Maybe similar on Martbids.

Plumbridge moved over last week to Marteye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭minerleague

Was giving out about LSL charging earlier but I think it would be a pity if they left as lack of competition never helps us in the long run. Much easier for 2 to "agree" not to poach marts and raise costs after. Does any mart declare what the cost of the service is from any of the 3 providers?

Seen brockagh in Donegal moved to Marteye today. Looks like there's lots of competition between Martbids and Marteye with them getting new customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭148multi

I was told by an exporter that he wouldn't buy at any mart with lsl when it first started, I asked in both roscommon and ballinasloe was this the case and was told it was by the managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I seen a reason on here before and it was to do with ownership of LSL

I think from looking at the MartBids site that Granard mart has moved from LSL.

It's an awful downfall for LSL and as I posted previously they were IMO by far the best of the 3 online providers.

I presume and hope that both MartBids and MartEye improve the image/camera quality around the ring and also ensure that the auctioneer can be heard clearly.

Hopefully they will also provide a playback video on their sales catalogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

That's correct unless I'm mistaken LSLi s owned by a leading exporter!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

Hmmm.........that would give them access to a lot of data....I can see why another exporter might not want them knowing what they are buying, how much of it they are buying and where...

I wonder what the rules are regarding the data...can it be collated and used legally etc.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I doubt it. First off the data us covered by data protection legislation. There is nothing that would not be know by ringside knowledge already.

Who ever the owner if LSL put in charge of LSL as CEO would probably do jail time if he was delivering the data if individual buyers to the owner. Word of mouth data would be only similar to ringside information.

TThe Owner of LSL woukd need to get a data processor/IT analysts to download the data and filter it. These guys are not cheap and will require legal indemnity from you that you are not acting illegally, that means if the Gardai IT or data protection authority come calling they can and will give everything they did up to them.

The CEO of LSL and any other senior manager would be prosecuted, maybe jail time and woukd find it hard to get a job at tgat level again.

The Owner who requested it would be fined substantially, maybe jail time and probably be barred as a company director. Watch that will happen to Leslie Buckley over the Indo data/email breaches. Himself and Denis OBrien are seriously wealty people and LB will definitely be prosecuted I would say and DOB as well. DOB had to sell the Indo at a substantial loss because of the email probe.

Slava Ukrainii

If you can pay to watch previous sales,then clearly they are harvesting data IMHO.

NNo It's not. These are public auctions not the word public. I can take a video in a y public place and put it on the net.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭QA1

ballinakill mart was supposedly bought buy factory and cattle export family who also supposedly have now sold there share in lsl when ballinakill was bought it change to lsl . 1 exporter wouldn’t buy in lsl marts supposedly because they could get name and address of his customers on the continent west of Ireland shipping family

Turned on Ennis yesterday MartBids don’t like it press the paddock lock to bid I pressed it and I could hit the green button to bid couldn’t find how to turn off my account in lsl you could give the phone to kids you have to select account at top and then bid no worries if they took the phone off you with MartBids they could very easily buy I take back all I said about lsl MartBids is very poor app

Yeah, I have to admit...that makes sense

Still though If I as an exporter owned a sales platform and a competing exporter was buying on it....I'd find it hard not to be interested in what they were buying, how much of it they were buying, when they were buying etc

Would the marts be the only ones privy to what herdnumber animals were going to...would the department be the only ones with the full picture in terms of what goes where I wonder

Turn your analogy the other way around. If you were an exporter that owned a sales platform and competing exporters don't attend or buy then you have a better shot at buying animals that suit your overall business - that also works for FR/FRx/AAx etc bull calves destined for export and don't forget forward stores/feeding cattle/cull cows that may be slaughtered in your factory - just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭grass10

When you spend a lot of time in marts you get used to how many cattle lads are buying and for who most big marts will pen cattle for buyers and put the buyers name on the pens also the mart staff know whose herd number the animals are put into their is no secret to who is buying and where the cattle are going if you pick up animals a few hours after a big mart finished you will hear all the gossip from office staff and mart workers about how many cattle each feedlot and factory has purchased so this idea that 1 buyer doesn't want other buyers to know what he has bought doesn't stand up

But you will have most of that information from ringside info anyway.

LSL would have individual herd numbers and owners data. However it's only the sales knocked down online to these numbers that they would have. Many tanglers around d a ring and o line will be buying for feedlots, themselves, ordinary farmers and exporters.

At the end of the mart some may be switched into different herd numbers. This data should not be available to LSL.

No Exporters are buying everything directly themselves. Buyers will have averages to hit. So a lot of that knowledge is out there as to who buys what and for how much.

But the huge issue is the conquences. If you could harvest the data yourself maybe but you would want to be an IT wizard. But your logging on, searches, archiving and downloading is very hard to hide. You fall out with your CEO or data analyst and they spill the beans and it all over

Slava Ukrainii

I know of 1 mart in laois that changed there back office systems to the LSL system quiet recent. So LSL technically would have access. I was selling a handful of cattle in it the Saturday they changed over and it was a bit of a mess. The mart board looked similar to the mart board that's in gortnaclea.

A Senior member of management in a large meat processing group sold weanlings in a local mart, his bull threw calves with a slight belly. Mr. Manager wanted to know who bought his weanlings, so a open minded dept officer opened up the movements and it showed two left in the mart but booked in for the store sale.

Mr. Manager kept his ear to the ground and arrived in to watch one make €170 more and the other €80, now we all know this information should not have been shared and if you went to the department with a good reason for it you'd be told where to go.

But in the real world your info and how it is used has significant implications for anyone's business.

If lsl had the movement details of a competitor's stock, can anyone say it won't be used to disadvantage the competitor. Have yet to meet a successful business man or woman who don't engage in sharp practices and would shaft their best friend for a deal.

How long ago 2 year, 5 years ten years. If it was in the last couple of years the dept officer was an idiot. Even the Gardai will not access information they no longer need to know. It can cone back to bite you in the b@llox in 5-10 years time.

That Dept officer is giving the Manager more information than that. If some onr reported him he lose his job.

You will get away with it for years but whe.b it come back to bite it locks on worse than a bull terrier.

There is no defence and no excuse.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

Single Shareholder and he is a director.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cal naughton

You should look up that director's LinkedIn profile. He is sitting in front of a computer and telephone looking all business but has no paperwork in front of him and nothing on the screen. Must have been taken some time last week!!!

A week later and I was wrong in my prediction as a substantial number of marts have moved to either MartEye or MartBids. In my opinion LSL offered the best online service. I was watching Carrigallen today on MartBids. The picture quality was good but the sound was shite. I had the volume turned up full on the laptop and could just barley make out the Auctioneer. I could hear the rattle of the gates, people around the ring coughing, talking etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭leoch

Why do marts not call out the name of the buyer when an animal is sold.....some up north do but most around dont

Note he is a director of seven other companies if he got caught at any shenanigans he could be barred from being a director of any of them.

Slava Ukrainii

Watched a little bit myself I thought the sound was coming through the camera or something it was that bad. Couldn't hear the auctioneer at all. The video was a little hit and miss. Switched over to roscommon on marteye and all looked good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Hard to prosecute a lot of these shenanigans. Isn’t a nod and a wink as good to a lad as anything

Ask Denis O Brien and Leslie Buckley that in a couple of years time and they have plenty of money to defend it. That beside DIB having to sell the Indo at loss

LB fell out with the CEO of the indo, he made a protected disclosure that is how it all fell apart.

There is no way I would trust someone I employed not to squel on me down the line. At some stage in business you fall.out with people especially employee.

Slava Ukrainii

About 2-3 years ago, some guards still able to access unecessarily info on people, just more polished at it and need to wait for an excuse of a ( report ) of one's car acting suspiciously outside a graveyard.

People's criminal history and the lack of still being shared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭QA1

I am told factory/mart/exporter family have no ties to lsl yet they will not buy in Clare marts because they left lsl for MartBids and the shipper they wanted to come back never turn up

You couldn’t make it up

Lsl is the best app but lsl = control

• Advertisement

I watched some of both Carrigallen and Granard last night and the quality of sound is 100% improved. The camera at Granard is better that what it used to be too.

Advertisement