Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

1107410751076107710781080»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

So first post you seem to have no idea about pesticides been used and next post you claim to know about pesticides been used? doesn't add up does it

Tillage I guess you refer to making silage/hay which is then fed to cattle over the winter. Also it's circa 5 days from memory after spraying and you can let livestock onto it

In terms of food production, we produce more food than we actually eat in the World. The waste is huge.

In terms of Woodies,the stuff in Woodies is extremely watered down compared to argi pesticides. Hence why you need a license and herd numbers etc to buy the stuff farmers use.

I sent link to confirm pesticides are used and additivies and perservatives are used in meat. Can you point to the store you claimed to buy meat without perservatives?

From the link:

What is an additive?

An additive is a substance added to food for a specific technological function. For example:

• to preserve a food and increase its shelf-life - preservative

Anyway I made my point, as I said complaining about vegan or vegatrian diets is blinkered when you see what is included with meats/etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

So what are you advocating other than a meat free diet of vegetables grown without the use of fertiliser, herbicides or pesticides ?

Other than that I cannot see what point you are attempting to make.

I didn't think you would

To repeat from the original post

Saying one type of food eaten by vegan is worse than another type of food shows a lack of knowledge on modern farming

If you somehow believe you could feed the world on vegan produce without fertiliser, pesticides or herbicides then your knowledge of farming is very limited. Sri Lanka tried it and it was an abject failure.

• Advertisement

To have any kind of knowledge on farming, rather than rambling on about fertilisers, herbicides and pesticides, then it would perhaps have been a good idea to first familiarise yourself with what happened in real terms when an attempt was made to raise farm produce without them.

I wouldn't make assumption about the knowledge of strangers on the web about topics.

So far you have been caught out numerous times lecturing people on this thread when clearly you haven't the first clue on the topic

The imaginary comments you accused me of posting is odd to say the least, maybe time to walk away from the device for a while

It was just a suggestion, as your knowledge from your posts as to what the real world results are farming without using fertiliser, herbicide or pesticide appeared to be very sketchy.

If you want to ignore that in your usual belligerent manner it`s no skin off my nose.

You lied about what I posted

You then made comments about my knowledge on farming when clearly you have no idea yourself

Now you start making personal comments

I have no interest in responding to this nonsense anymore so stop quoting me because you clearly have absolutely nothing of interest to add

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭roosterman71

It appears I know a hell of a lot more about this than you. Proof? This line

Tillage I guess you refer to making silage/hay which is then fed to cattle over the winter. 

You haven't a scooby about agriculture and it's ways in this country. Not to mention any sprays used where, by who, and when.

Links showing stuff can be used doesn't mean stuff is used. I buy my beef from the butcher, who kills his own animals. Chicken comes from Dunnes. Usually their own brand stuff - https://www.dunnesstoresgrocery.com/sm/delivery/rsid/258/product/dunnes-stores-irish-chicken-breast-fillets-630g-id-100222327.

AS I said, it was just a suggestion that before rambling on about fertilisers pesticides and herbicides it might have been an idea to do a bit of research first as to what happens in the real world without them. If you are choosing to not inform yourself of that then that is up to you, so no point in attempting to have any discussion with you on the subject.

Still waiting on those costing for that offshore wind /hydrogen plan from you. No rush, but it has been some considerable time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭ginger22

Looks like our 2 resident vegan posters don't know much about how their food is produced. Take the humble potato for example. First it gets a weed spray then 4 or 5 fungicide sprays for blight, then the wire worms, slugs, leatherjackets, and caterpillars have to be taken care of and finally a spray to burn off the stalks before harvest and then look at the other vegetables, carrots, parsnips, cabbage, cauliflower, sprouts as the supermarkets wont take them if they have any blemish they cant allow any little critters to have a nibble, so multiple sprays as well. Then on the other hand look at our beef produced off grassland that probably hasn't seen a sprayer in living memory and even our intensive dairy as most grass will be reseeded only once every 10 to 20 years, so only 2 sprays then, one to kill off the old sward and one to get the weeds after emergence. Then they bring up the old chestnut about grain imported from outside the EU that has been genetically modified, if anything it is probably better than EU grown grain as the genetic modification makes it resistant to many pests and diseases so doesn't need as many sprays. My advice would be to eat lots of dairy as your bones need the calcium and go to you local butcher to get the best quality naturally produced un adulterated beef and lamb and keep away from the processed Sh,,e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭ginger22

Forgot to mention regarding fertilizer, nitrogen, phosphate and potassium, they are naturally occuring products that are all around us anyway and without them the world would produce much less food. Food prices would rocket and only the wealthy could afford to eat.

If you say so, I asked you waht you meant by Tillage.

So far you have backed up nothing with actual information

A link to a Dunnes Stores item for sale proves what? as we know chicken is shipped from other countries and packaged in Ireland, then it can get slapped with an Irish badge.

“Currently most of what’s in Ireland is Dutch fillet, but the market changes. Frozen chicken from Brazil is currently very cheap. The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) says that Irish consumers are worried about salmonella, and that they want to know the source of raw chicken, but that once the chicken is cooked they don’t care.”

Do you actually think that chicken in Dunnes Stores doesn't have any additives into it? or any of the other meat? then you talk to me about "haven't a scooby"

As I said, first you claimed you knew nothing about pessticides or additives into food. When I pointed out about them you claimed to be an overnight expert on them with nothing to acual back that up.

Ignorance is bliss.

Dunnes Stores, oh my gawd

AIf you are are trying to say by the wya I am vegan. no chacne. But i don't eat Dunnes Stores meat for one, its absolute muck. Plus I would never claim to eat meats without any preservatives and then point to Dunnes Stores which to be fair hasn't the worst meat in Ireland, that's Tesco, but it aint far ahead of them.

Your local butcher will also use additives unless requested not to, as per the link I already provided above

The use additives because otherwise the meat would go off too quick before they have a chance to sell.

Anyway as usual this thread has been enlighting, its the same 1-2 posters who don't have an actual clue what they are talking about, telling everyone else they know nothing and claim to be expert on every topic. Today farming. Which by the look of it the two "expert" haven't spent a day on a farm

Leave you to it lads, Im sure when I come back it will be the same few lads fighting with everyone, I wonder what they will be an expert on that day? farming? electric grid? wind generation? 😂

Every topic you have nothing of value to add, you post some nonsense and when someone points out you are wrong you attack the poster.

I never said anything about cost for wind/hydrogen. So again you are just posting lies. Cop on to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I honestly wonder at times how these people get into government.

I have a great idea on how we can help with climate change.

Let's cut back on farming here, let's import food from countries that are cutting down trees and require transport to get the food here.

How can anyone actually take these people seriously.

I don't agree with reducing the current policy

We should be producing food in Ireland for Ireland. Simple as that

In terms of meat we should not be importing any meat when we export so much

THe issue is the customer, who doesn't want to pay the premium for Irish meat and buys cheap sh*t instead, see reference above to Dunnes Stores

Also the customer is issue in terms of demand, we should only eat meat when in season, expect everyone demands to have meat all year round. So if the stores can't get supply off Irish farmers then they will get from another country.

So it's not just down to the government.

The number of butchers is also on the decrease, with people preferring to go to Dunnes Stores to buy meat instead of paying a small premium for a local butcher and better quality, less packing etc. Our local butcher closed recently, the guy is now working in a Supermarket butchers, he just couldn't keep open with drop in customers once Supermarket opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

”The problem is consumer”

“Let’s tax the hell out of them further and do everything to increase their cost of living”

Typical green knee jerk nonsense

Who is talking about "tax the hell out of them"

Which tax has the green party introduced during its term in government?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

Deliberately increasing food costs is the worst form of taxation on the poorest

So is deliberately increasing energy and heating costs which are now the highest in world

All to satisfy the green dieties

You come on here and rather than first do a bit of research into what you are posting on, opt to post whatever vague thoughts are rambling around in your head at the time. When shown verifiable data and real world examples as to how inane those ramblings are, be it on electricity generation, agriculture or anything else, rather than address what you have been shown you resort to ranting and raving.

Your latest on agriculture being a prime example where you believe that harvesting grass for hay and silage is tillage and that meat here is seasonal.

Do yourself and everybody else a favour and do at least some research before jumping in here. If not for your own sake, then for the sake of others who attempt to point out to you how misinformed you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

There is a lack of arable land suitable for growing vegetables. In Ireland you can get one maincrop potatoes in a year, there are harvesting, storage and transport energy costs. If you want to grow tomatoes commercially in this country, you will need glass and plastic to protect provide controlled growing conditions. Green policies are driving up input costs contributing to more growers exiting the business. There is a reason we concentrate on cattle farming in this country, the combination of weather and topology means much of the land is suitable for grass growth, for raising cattle or sheep or growing coniferous forests. The high input and production costs of growing vegetables make it no viable for most farmers.
    For a peek into growing vegetables in Ireland.

Irish tomato business faces delayed start to 2023 growing season (irishexaminer.com)

Just 60 field vegetable growers left in the country – Bord Bia director | Irish Independent

Here is Almeria in Spain, showing an area approximately 40,000 hectares (~370 square km), used to grow vegetables. The plastic which is a hydrocarbon derived product has a lifespan of around 3 to 4 years before disposal. It's mostly dumped and burned. If you see produce of Spain in the supermarket on your tomatoes or courgettes, this is likely where it comes from.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Advertisement