Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French man accused of drugging his wife and inviting men to rape her

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

They probably sent him abuse images. Many of them had convictions that could be verified too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

What are you on about, of course it's shut down, this happened in the past

Sorry what? He was confirming people convictions

Easy enough to fake a few photos, this is again the PO po sé are talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

But they were all "ordinary local men"? Does that mean all "ordinary local men" have convictions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭TokTik

2.21bn people use Facebook on a daily basis in 2024. So quite a few.

https://backlinko.com/facebook-users

They are all your mom

And how many people involved in a massively high profile rape case keep an active Facebook presence

There was some jest in my comments, some whimsy

Also like bots n stuff

Do you have any advice for how men might identify these “far from ordinary” men?

Because they certainly looked and acted like ordinary men in all the rest of their lives.

Considering your original thread title……

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well look. Your opinions and attitudes regarding inherent qualities of men are shared by the populations and authorities in a tiny minority of countries. Those countries realise that it is perfectly natural for any man to want to rape or sexually assault any lone female. Ergo, if that happens, the woman must be the one to be punished. This is logical as the man is only acting like any ordinary man naturally would. Societal norms are generally based on what is acceptable and ordinary behaviour.

So @volchitsa let's bring in the burqua so that women do not tempt the men, forcing things to their natural and expected outcome. Women should not be allowed to leave their houses without a male relative chaperone because it's not as if the other men could be blamed for do what an ordinary man would do.

I'm with you

(Well not really, but you do definitely share a common logic with populations of those countries ………. the only difference is that they have implemented a "logical" solution given the starting point of their beliefs.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I remember seeing a show on BBC or ITV a few years ago about the British police who go on the Dark Web to find these groups and try to infiltrate them. They are usually asked to post pics from their own collections to garner trust but as that is illegal for them they have to use non illegal pics. France would likely have similar rules for their police so that if someone posts genuine abuse pics they must be genuine pedos.

In this case they aren't pedos, well done of them might be

In a pedo ring, someone inside gets caught rats

I mean selling drugs is illegal but some how

And yet, how shocked am I that women who go to dodgy places to pick up a fix of heroin rarely, if ever, get cold feet and rat out the dealer?

Mad, isn't it. All women must be secret hard drug enthusiasts

All these drug dealers and they getting away with it and acting with impunity. Isn't it mad that they aren't being ratted out by the women who go to them. If they were, then they would be stopped dealing their deadly products.

As I said, we can only conclude that all women are secret hard drug enthusiasts.

ah come on it’s simple. Per this thread all men are evil rapists. Therefore all women are hard core heroin addicts.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

This is in the news precisely because it is so exceptional. My advice would be not to be paranoid about encountering something which is exceptional. You might never encounter such a person, let alone have one in your social circle or get close to one.

You probably drive your car ever day without worrying that it is going to go up in flames as you are driving. Don't drive in constant fear but it would be sensible to stop if you see smoke coming from under the bonnet.

Don't let fear of the exceptional overrule your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That’s not per this thread at all. Per this thread, instead of the usual crap of suggesting women and girls should be responsible for preventing men from raping them, the question is how do we prevent men from committing rape?

That question elicits radio silence, until a way was found to turn the question around on the OP and attack them for whether or not local means within a specific region, when the initial interactions between all these men took place on a forum that isn’t bound by geographical limitations - it’s how they found other men who were just like them, that they shared a common interest in committing rape and being able to avoid the consequences of their actions.

The reason people are offended by the question is because they take it as a slight of their ability to judge people’s character - that no man they know would commit rape. The point is that they don’t know, their judgment is based upon trust, not fact. It’s that trust which is exploited by men in order to commit rape in the belief that there will be no negative repercussions for their actions. The idea that they could be fooled is what’s more abhorrent to people than the idea that they aren’t actually as good a judge of character as they believe themselves to be - their ego is hurt when it transpires that a man they know has been committing rape without their knowledge.

It’s why in spite of the fact that most men who commit rape are known to their victims, it’s the victims who face the most severe judgment for their perceived lack of good judgment in that they failed to follow all the instructions they’d been given to prevent themselves from being raped. Some of that practical advice’ was also doled out in yet another recent thread where women and girls are advised to carry illegal weapons and become ninjas overnight in order to protect themselves, whereas the responsibility for who commits rape is, and should always be, on the men who commit rape.

That’s what the OP was looking to address, and looking for advice from men as to how to prevent men from committing rape, by having people really think about the men who are committing rape - they’re not ‘other men who we don’t know so not our problem’, they’re men we DO know, which is precisely the problem, but coming up with answers to that question is infinitely more difficult than simply shifting the responsibility onto the girls and women to protect themselves from being raped by men.

How about the question of how we prevent women from facilitating the sale and distribution of hard drugs ravaging certain communities. There are women who seek out and go to drug dealers to get a fix of heroin. Yet rarely, if any. do any of them, solely out a a bout of conscience, immediately go to the Guards to report the dealer. If they did, there would be far less dealers.

Yes of course it's nonsense, but only equally so to whatever you are at. If one is legitimate, then the other is too.

It is, but the difference between the way they’re being approached is that volchista started a discussion on the issue she wanted to have people think about. Where’s yours? As opposed to dragging this discussion even further off topic than the previous thread-**** about the distance between men who commit rape, or whatever shìt that was 😒

• Advertisement

Simply highlighting the nonsense of projecting from a self-selected tiny subset of a demographic to the overall demographic as a whole.

Do they just take a notion to go the police? Or do they rat AFTER they’ve been caught?

If you had say 100 heroin addicts in a medium size town you'd say there's a heroin problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

@One eyed Jack why should the vast vast majority of men have any more insight into stopping rapists than the vast vast majority of women would have? In the context of the thread should we be asking French people in general how to stop rapists?

Unless someone is knowingly associating with rapists, they are "other men who we don't know" and if someone they do associate with is, unknown to them, a rapist then they don't really know that person. Either way they can't offer any more insight or advice on how prevent someone from committing rape than any other man, woman, French or non-French person can.

Everyone’s already aware Don that it’s a minority of men who choose to commit rape, you’re not actually highlighting anything new there. Everyone can do back of a napkin simple mathematics and mental statistics and whatever, but none of that actually addresses the fundamental question - given what we DO know about men who choose to commit rape, how do we prevent men from committing rape?

That is indeed a simple answer, and yet there’s plenty of evidence which suggests that it CAN be done. Historically we’ve been able to reduce the number of rapes committed by men by reducing the opportunities they have to commit rape, whether it’s been through changes in policies in institutions like schools, hospitals, the defence forces, the workplace, and so on, and the one place it’s proving difficult to change is where it occurs the most - in the family home:

What was the survivor doing when the crime occurred?7

• 48% were sleeping, or performing another activity at home
    • 29% were traveling to and from work or school, or traveling to shop or run errands
    • 12% were working
    • 7% were attending school
    • 5% were doing an unknown or other activity

https://rainn.org/statistics/scope-problem

To pre-empt any pointing out that I’m presenting statistics from the US, the figures internationally are pretty similar, it’s just that I’m not going to go through 190 odd countries around the globe to attempt to draw comparisons when that’s not the point and would only be getting dragged down in the weeds.

One of the ways to prevent men from committing rape is through changing legislation and increasing penalties and applying appropriate sentencing for men who commit rape, as there is evidence that reduces the number of men who believe they are able to commit rape and not be punished or prosecuted or convicted for it. These measures serve as a deterrent, not a complete solution by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭volchitsa

On reflection - looking at the trolling that some are at here - I do actually have one suggestion for what men could do, @One eyed Jack - and as you say, it's obviously not going to be one single, simple remedy, because there isn't one, but that's exactly why I think we need to be able to discuss the problem without the immediate personal abuse that is the norm the moment women try to do so.

That would be a start because it would allow lots of ideas, many of which might be impractical or even rubbish - but it seems to me that when the immediate response from a number of men (and apparently even a few "pick-me" women) is to get any discussion of male violence as being a systemic societal problem shut down because they feel targeted, nothing will ever change.

Drivers as a whole don't feel targeted by road violence or anti drink-driving campaigns, because they know if they don't drive aggressively or drink and drive, well, they aren't being targetted. Statistics showing that men commit these offences at a greater rate than women are (just about) "allowed" - although comments on here pretending to believe that women drivers are statistically more dangerous than male drivers shows that there's the same misogynistic response to that too, from some men. But saying that men commit the VAST majority of rapes is a step too far for some it seems. Have to drag anything like that into the weeds with nonsense about female drug dealers. 🙄

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

In fairness now your op was not the way to start a balanced conversation and you well know it

One great way to stop rape is by having no sex at all and the rabid boards poster is well ahead of the curve on that one

If French people had a differential in rape crimes compared to other nations comparabel to the rape differential of men vs women, that would be relevant point.

Since they don't, and rape statistics are pretty similar in France to other European countries, it's just another attempt to deflect from the fact that men rape women, and women don't generally rape men.

You should probably ask yourself why you need to deflect from the facts like that, but I don't expect you will.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement

One great way to stop rape is by having no sex at all and the rabid boards poster is well ahead of the curve on that one

WTF?

Taking your post more seriously than it probably deserves, I can tell you a story about that:

a friend undergoing cancer treatment was told she had to be on the pill to prevent pregnancy because the treatment would damage any baby that she might conceive during that time. Her reply was a slightly bitter joke that no woman was going to want sex during the treatment, given the side effects.

The doctor didn't laugh at all. She said "You know, Mrs …, not all women have the choice, and we have to take into account that they don't always admit that to us."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I've spent quite a bit of time over the last few days on Google scholar looking at successful prevention strategies for rape and the like.

While there is risk reduction steps that can help reduce risk at say dating/early relationship level; that I've heard before from DRCC and others, I'm not seeing a lot of wisdom on how to prevent the type of rape seen here and within long term relationships in general.

If you look at this case in particular, it's the cunning way these rapist hide that make it so difficult to spot and eradicate. The likelihood here is that the last thing he did before every rape was prepare his wife a nice drink(presuming that's how he administered the sedative; which she thought was a loving act when it was the polar opposite. He probably discussed here gynaecological issues with her while pretending to help.

Maybe people smarter than me can point to red flags in early relationships that point to a predisposition to control/abuse but other than that I'm pretty out of ideas. The in relationship rapist is by nature going to be a master manipulator and is likely playing a different game from the get go.

Absolutely - that is exactly the problem I've been trying to raise here: how can women identify which men are likely to behave like this, and can men help n this by, for example, being far less ready to ignore, dismiss or even snigger over so-called "locker-room talk" (in Ireland that's probably barstool comments), from their mates?

That's something that has come up in a number of cases of serial offenders. Wayne Couzens was one of the most shocking because his "mates" were police officers, but also, eg, the Whatsapp messages of selfies police officers took next to the dead bodies of the two sisters murdered in a park in England, again, shared by those officers with colleagues, and giving rise to group hilarity.

(I was taken to task earlier for saying the UK police have a record of misogyny. I didn't bother responding because it wasn't very relevant in the context at that time, but I think it's just a fact, not a personal opinion.)

Getting back to your point about red flags, one thing that struck me was that he accompanied her to all her medical appointments. Presumably that allowed him to steer any discussion away from aspects that might have pointed to him.

With all this evidence that it CAN be done, can you point to a country where this has been implemented and has zero rapes??

Can you point to a country with zero murders, and if not, does that mean we shouldn't bother trying to reduce murder rates?

I never said anything about reducing anything. I said there is no way to STOP all rapes. Your buddy counterclaimed the there was evidence that it could be done.

“That is indeed a simple answer, and yet there’s plenty of evidence which suggests that it CAN be done.”

LOL if you think @One eyed Jack is my "buddy" you obviously haven't seen the number of times we've had pretty major differences of opinion in the past. That's why I thanked him for his comments on here - because it's very decent of him, considering our past history.

I won't bother discussing the detail of his posts with you. I'm sure he'll speak for himself.

Jesus, the strawman heroin addict argument. If you think rape is a victimless crime then you're probably part of the problem.

Well then maybe some of those 78 rapists of whatever their number ends up being will redeem mankind by ratting out and testifying against the husband.

• Advertisement

That analogy can only work if these guys think women are objects rather than people. Which is not that unusual an attitude, TBF.

French rape laws have traditionally been heavily based on this idea too, according to what I'm seeing on Twitter, so the defendants claiming that they believed the husband could give consent for use of his wife's body (yes, some have actually said that in court) may not be as far out there as one could wish.

Strange that you don't think people dealing heroin have victims. Is that because the victims tend to come from poorer demographics and don't count for you? I think we've heard it all now if the selling of heroin is a victimless crime. Free the Kinahans!

Way to go though with the inability to get the point. I suspect deliberately so.

He's already pled guilty. It's the other accused who are pleading innocent. Some have even accused the huiband and wife of duping them. (I'm not sure if that got as far as becoming their actual defence, TBF - it may have been their explanation during the interrogation. You'd need to check the testimony on the first day, when each of the accused gave their plea.)

Heroin addicts, while seeking self pleasure/satisfaction are not violating another human being in the act of obtaining it.*

This is NOT an argument on the topic of substance abuse and it's correlates.

That wasn't my claim though. Take it up with whoever said it. But nobody who is honest can pretend that becoming a heroin addict is comparable to becoming a rape victim. Nobody starts off thinking they can take or leave the rape, do they?

Moreover, to be comparable to this particular case would require that the heroin addict had first been rendered unconscious before being involuntarily injected with heroin. I'm not aware of such a thing ever happening - are you?

Are you looking forward to getting all the gory details? I can't say I'd be interested in that myself. I won't be checking the testimony. The court can hear it and decide. It's their job.

• Advertisement

Yeah, again, deliberately being obtuse. How do you think you can flip a point against drug dealers by defending their victims?

It would be like me coming on here and defending the husband by saying "rape victims don't hurt anyone". It's bizarre.

Regardless, you appear fixated on an analogy you clearly didn't understand. Women going to a drug dealer for their fix are unlikely to report him for dealing drugs. Perverts going to another pervert to rape someone are unlikely to report him for doing what they planned together. That those women don't report the dealer cannot be reasonably extrapolated to some argument that all women are guilty of supporting heroin dealing. Or that it is a problem which other women need to fix. but you'll happily do the same extrapolation for the perverts to other men.

The thing is guys, if you aren't happy with the men ba$tards in your own day-to-day lives, that's unfortunate, but it is something you can likely change. No need to hate half the population over it and allow it to seethe and fester in your own lives.

The mind of a man attempting to minimise long term multiple gang rape by comparing it with someone looking to get high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭aero2k

There's one big difference between the two groups that undermines your analogy: drug addicts in desperate need of a fix are probably not renowned for their rational / moral behaviour. We don't know if the rapists in this horrible case were also drug addicts, but if they are as " normal" as it appears, then at least the 30 who said " no thanks" but took no further action are guilty of facilitating the abuse, and have no morals.

drug addicts in desperate need of a fix are probably not renowned for their rational / moral behaviour.

Are there little bells ringing in your head now? A little lightbulb suddenly started to shine? Congratulations, you may be finally getting the point that people who frequent pervert chatrooms looking for victims to rape might also not be known for their moral behaviour and are not representative of the general population.

The reason you are deliberately trying to mischaracterize and create a straw-man is that you have no actual argument in response and it is just annoying you and you are frustrated that you cannot answer it. So instead you are trying to create the strawman that you can answer. The more you do it, the more it highlights the fact.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement