Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

maize has turned out super this year. 2 cobs and tipping 10 ft tall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

mine is similar …..but after walking in through it today came back disappointed …big tall crop ….2 cobs per plant but cobs are small in comparasion to other years …will have bulk but starch won’t be hectic ….and it’s good 4/5 weeks maby more off maturity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,926 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What did @Gawddawggonnit tell you he be back soon to explain it again.

It's the old story fur coat no ***kers

Slava Ukrainii

dawg is in a warmer country with a very different climate with different soil. If we all had 100s of acres available to us at small money you wouldn’t be trying to get the same yeild /ac

You can tell driving the roads what crops hasn’t got the nutrients at sowing

Ah I wouldn’t be too worried about the starch. Any lad growing stuff for sale will be using a high yielding variety. Any maize we ever bought was always into the 30s for starch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

the starch is the feeding tho …I’ve consistently got 34/37 starch last few years ….won’t be near that this year going on cobs

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dairyedge

When you start producing milk will you be entitled to start acquiring shares in that co op or have you looked into it or thought about it? I’ve been supplying milk to Kerry for years with out any insensitive, shares wise or otherwise come to think of it. If only there was a Kerry shares’ expert on here I’d be sorted as to where I stand. One of those guru’s. You know the one. Comments coming out of Kerry higher ups these days would make you vomit. This cutting down on rogue farmers etc. gladly. How much milk will you be taking in then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ginger22

Its the difficulty of getting labour and cost of that labour that's killing the big operations. A lot of the dairy on good land will go back to the plough. Read in the Journal the lad from the farm mobility service said that the pipeline of young farmers wanting to lease farms is drying up as well.

Can you put up some figures on the expected benefit of keeping the extra angus weanlings and feeding more purchase feed to the cows. You are always a good man for the figures. Is it worth the extra effort. Life is very easy when cows are out on grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Locked up with tb, got caught keeping them for my calf buyer who went down in his own test in April, he pleaded with us to keep them till he got clear, he did in July then i went down on my own test….

Workload is alot easier here when cows are inside, the ground weanlings are on is a 25 minute plus walk .8km to 1.3km walk for cows up-hill to parlour you'd often lose 40 minutes this time of year getting them in on the furthest away blocks….

25 minutes feeding, 20 minutes doing cubicles/pushing in feed and 3 hours a day combined milking is the workload for milkers here in the winter months, grazing setting up wires and getting them in adds hours on to the daily routine here, obviously its the cheapest way of feeding cows but labourwise it isnt in my situation

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear about being locked up with TB. We are in the same situation but luckily enough we had all our calves sold before being restricted. Have just had one clear test so hopefully another clear next November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You have it nearly 100%. Three sons in this place and none want to milk cows. Farmer themselves have an injury. Brother in laws place has a good portion of land set to one of our countys tillage empires. More than likely this farm will go that way too. Easier life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭visatorro

the rental price has to have a big influence of that too. someone starting out cant afford the rents being paid the last couple of years. established farms can just about pay the extra rent to stand still never mind make money. be interesting to see next year what rent prices will be like. i might throw in a box of celebrations into the auctioneers at christmas see what they can do for me!

you sure that’s not the herd of cows he has between me and you he’s selling ? A 600 cow operation at home is a very big deal to be selling? Surely some sort of a partnership could be done with a guy that has the means to take it on

Post edited by GrasstoMilk on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Have me doubting this now.

We may even be not on about the same people.

Not really the place here to be discussing any of this here really either. I shouldn't have posted any of it truthfully.

We'd only know properly if cows go to auction. Or auctioneer sells off herd privately.

Same source like grueller had marts had bookings for next year.

Are ye still on 250kg/n down in your area, arguementsake why would any sane person chance a partnership in the above with the pending threat of having to find another 100 odd hectares of ground if 170 comes in nationwide in 2026

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Jack98

Why would anyone in the right mind get involved in a partnership of that scale, even a young person for the work that would be involved in managing a farm of that scale with labour etc there’s far easier ways to make money now without the headaches involved in that. It’s like the classic ag college/teagasc advice back in the day take on a unit get it going get labour in place and move onto the next unit. It’s all just madness unless there’s a farmer with several children involved these things just won’t work going forward. It might have worked for a few years when the shackles of quota were lifted but it’s getting more difficult every year with new regs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭straight

I'd imagine it's a wet dream for the ag college / been to new Zealand gang.

there’s a far better chance of someone making something out of farm that size vs trying to squeeze a 2nd income out of a 100 cow family farm that needs money spent on it. I’m not advocating it for ppl to do it but if you did a bit of research there is plenty of successful ppl that have taken on such opportunities and done well out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭visatorro

I do laugh you can spot them at open days etc you can the style of operation from the clothing and hairstyles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I suppose if the stock is yours after a certain time period, you are building an asset which might include machinery, cows, Fodder and Co op shares. Know a guy done it for a few years on a smaller scale, he bought 15 acres and is building a house on it.

There’s very few farms with 2 people drawing from 100 cows now, the majority in my area with successors are 80-150 cow herds with the son/daughter helping when they’re not working off farm, most of them have college degrees on good money and helping the home farm progress. With work from home 2/3 days a week from a lot of the jobs from college degrees now I think these people are far better off than getting stuck into a partnership or leasing farms away from the home farm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Increasingly if you want to have the cows you gotta do the work.the days of spinning off to discussion groups and open days talking about how many cows you had calved in 3 weeks while someone else does the work at home are gone.as a guide it looks like labour will be guided at 150-one man, show ,300 1 hired labour unit and 500 plus is owner +2hired labour units.there are guys that could take over and run big units successfully but I ve a feeling you could count them on the one hand in the country but there's alot more that think they could do it.thats really a top 1 %game

I disagree but that’s personal preference. I have a very good friend who’s involved in a partnership on large farm and he’s doing very well from it. It’s not for everybody and that’s fine

I’ve no doubt there is some benefiting from it and it doesn’t suit others. We’ve no outside labour, the benefits of my job far outweigh any notion of me farming on my own right elsewhere now. Good salary, guaranteed bonus, share scheme, pension matched 1.5x what you contribute by the company and work from home 3 days most weeks. I know fellas in partnerships might be building assets such as cows leased into the partnership but it’s so easy to safe money off farm through all the benefits for a fraction of the work.

your job is a bit more than your run of the mill ag job straight after an ag science qualification I would reckon ? A lot of the ppl that you would find in collaborative farming arrangements have done an ag science course of some description. They can get a job in the Industry but they’re not going to get a share scheme and salary will only be average, they still have to use up there holidays, evenings and weekends relieving the parents at home or else end up relief milking/ being a part time labour unit to bump up there salary/keep there hand in

The few I know at it have more time off than I would and have better incomes from their own wages and a profit share. Now I have other perks that they don’t but there is plenty ppl out there that are happy with share farming/partnerships/leasing

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Hyland17

Read that too. I have had a recent experience with them. Still mental money been offered up. Couldn't justify the prices that were mentioned. Anyone that is offering the money quoted really needs to sit back and do the sums. Rent will always have to be paid. If oil price rises again and fert goes through the roof alot will be left holding debt to just to stand still. It's a funny time in farming, youth entering farming and handing over all payments plus a little bit more are going to be chasing their tail for along time and still feck all to show for it at current prices. Farming has to hold its own, can see alot of outside jobs propping up farm income at the minute. It will come back at some time

I didn’t do ag science, know plenty that did it and that’s fairly spot on a lot are relief milking or working on other farms as well as the home farm as salary and benefits is very limited bar maybe a company car and very little opportunity of hybrid working or working remote bar the odd day. The opportunities for college graduates in business/finance or engineering in hybrid working setups are much greater and better progression opportunities. A lot with ag degrees are only biding their time while waiting for parents to wind down, I can see why it might appeal to them to make more money to enter one of the setups above.

A 300 cow unit relying on one hired in full-time labour unit is a terrifying prospect, a large unit where the owner wants to step back and isnt carrying alot of debt with good infrastructure in place going into partnership with a younger person and giving them the day to day running of the place and sourcing labour is a lot safer bet long-term than relying on hired in labour that can simply up sticks on two weeks notice…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,926 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You walk into a lot of jobs with a degree in ag science not in the agri sector. Add a masters to it in another dipline down the line and away you go.

One thing I pushed on my children was never have all you eggs in the one basket. Factories in Limerick are paying 50k+ for such qualifications and progression is fast.

You Would need your head screwed on going into a share milking scenario. Most lads with the equity( land stock etc) are not idiots. It's similar to renting pubs or resturants you can be putting a sh!tload of hours in for an ordinary wage.

Those outfits running with them labour unit numbers are contracting in everything and at the 500 cows it's a rotary parlour. That is serious investment and cashflow to manage such an operation. You are trying to keep ten different balls in the air, it's not the top 1% it probably the top 0.1%.

The problem is of the plug is suddenly pulled ( you lose the main lease or are given 12 months notice even) where do you go. Where do you head to with a couple of hundred cows, a tractor, loader, dietfeeder etc.

Youngest lad is gone to London he is flying home to play the last few county championship matches. He is now earning as much as I was at my peak at 25 years of age. He never minds doing farm work or being on a tractor. However I explained to him the reality of being a tractor jockey and farming at 14 years of age.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement