Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow Play again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Russman

Of course a middle ground should be there, but I don't think anyone has argued for rushing or running around the course though. For me, that's where the slow play debate falls apart in a way. 3hrs 45m - 4hrs is not running round on most courses. I know obviously on certain courses or in certain situations/conditions times will vary, but personally I think if someone finds 4hrs or just under to be rushing, they're doing something wrong. You certainly don't need to cut out practice swings or reading putts or need to have club in hand approaching the ball to be round in 4 hrs IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bobster453

Yea I gotta admit the whole world is gone mad with rights and entitlements.

To me the only thing you are entitled to is the respect of others when you treat them with respect.

Fair play is good sport and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I think you have that a bit arseways @FixdePitchmark and @bobster453. Just my opinion.

Slow play sometimes happens due to ignorance - which isnt a whole lot better than entitlement admittedly - but most of the time it happens due to poor golf. Sometimes poor golf just happens. Sometimes it happens more often than just the odd lapse - in clumps if you like - and it happens to good golfers too. Thats when you get slow play. Like a group that's in the trees on three holes in a row.

Most lads I encounter in such - in my club thankfully rare - situations are a little embarrassed by it and let play through and/or do their best to catch up.

I think very very few people have 4 hours plus rounds because they think they're owed their money's worth and f*** everyone else. Nobody goes out to piss their fellow golfers off IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bobster453

My comment was on life in general rather than golf.

On the golf front I agree totally with yours.

Think once maybe twice I have come across people acting the eejit

Most times it is embarrassment as you say is the overriding emotion..as I know too well😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭almostover

My home course runs the tee times at 12 mins intervals every weekend and I've never really experienced any issues with slow play. Play with golfers of all abilities, not always the same guys. 4 ball normally 3:50 to 4hrs. 3 ball maybe 3:30 to 3:45. Course setup plays a big part. Many ditches and overgrown areas near the usual playing area were cleaned up to prevent unnecessary searching for balls. 6000yd course and rough is maintained so that it's not wild. Only areas left go long are well out of the main thoroughfare.

Then it's just simple golf etiquette, keep up with the group in front. 3 mins to search for lost ball. Play a provisional if there's even half a chance your ball could be lost. Be ready to play when it's your turn.

Finally, it's golf, you need time to play it. Don't get frustrated if you have only allowed yourself the bare 4 hrs on a weekend to get around 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

I think sometimes the problem lies in when people plan their shot, select club, etc. I will generally arrive at my ball and it will be someone elses turn. While they are hitting, I plan my shot, select my club, pick the spot over which I'm going to aim, etc. So when my turn comes, I'm ready to take a practice swing and then hit my shot. I'm not rushing anything.

But I see lots of people who start this ritual when it's their turn to hit and it adds considerable time. The 15 seconds they spend doing this will add over 20 minutes to the round. And that's just one player doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I've played in 2 opens the last 2 weekends, and both rounds have been about 4hr 30 in 4 balls. And to be honest, what slowed down the rounds was the actual course itself. I play mostly parkland golf, and I've noticed over the last few years some of the parklands are getting harder and harder with less maintenance around the trees and wooded areas.

The course I played yesterday had lots of timber, on every hole. But what made it more difficult was, you could tell that the tress, lining the fairways in particular, had not been pruned in years. There was at least 6 of the 14 driver holes that were outrageously narrow off the tee, so on nearly ever hole, there’s was some time spent looking for golf balls, on shots you presumed were safe and sound from the tee box. One of the tee boxes proved a good vantage point for 5 or 6 holes and everywhere you looked, you could see lads plodding around the woods.

But this wasn’t just yesterday, I’m sure its due to costs / staffing issues, but some courses are falling well behind in general maintenance in the last few years. I play a lot of golf in the rural midland’s regions, most of these courses wouldn’t have huge membership numbers and are in year to year survival mode.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

People over emphasise taking time on the shot, I've no problem with this as long as the preshot routine is taking place while someone else is taking their shot. On the tee it's unavoidable but at least have figured out your club and where you are aiming before your shot, we're better off with folk being comfortable on their tee shot and getting it in play versus provisionals etc. On the green you can be lining up as someone else is putting etc, I often ask on the first green if my ball can be left there if off line and most folk say no problem, I will say the same, I've no issue with someone cleaning/marking etc if I'm putting and I'd leave the pin in all day for every putt.

I'm not a fan of not moving quickly to your ball, or waiting until someone else hits before picking your club etc, folk than insist on marking and lining up tap ins should be shot. Players that flute around waiting out of turn to see the impact of the wind etc are tossers

Sometimes slow play is the courses fault e.g. long transitions or too tight off the tee throughout or too many trees. It's not the 1900's, the game is different, we need open fairways and then bring difficulty into the approach and putting, this avoids slow play big time…

Totally agree. We have a strip of trees between two holes on the back nine, and its only about 2 yards wide but very much in play. In recent years, due to staffing etc,. they've let grass grow up in amongst the trees, you have to get very lucky to find your ball now whereas before you'd see it from 20 yards away. Of course I'm usually in it every f—king weekend !!😁

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Our club does this.

Every week a report is published to all members showing every tee time and the time that group took to go around, highlighted in either red or green to show if they were on time or deemed to be slow.

Quickly identifies where the problems are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Does it change behaviour or solve for slow play? It's one thing knowing who the culprits are, it's another removing slow play as an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

You sound like myself! In the past 5 years I have become a wizard with a low 4 iron from under the timber, I nearly use it a much as the putter!

One hole I played on Monday is almost laughable, it’s a 510 yard dog leg left par 5. It generally had a short run out to the turn, 190 straight from the tee will put you in the woods. But the trees protecting the dog leg are now monsters in height and width, so going over them is a complete non-runner, and trying to cut in around them is also ruled out, unless you have a savage low hook in your armour. So most play 8/9 off the tee as the 140 mark is at the turn, you can’t risk over hitting it as the trees at the far side have come in on top of the fairway so you could be blocked out! Its definitely one of the few part 5’s I’ve played where I hit 9 iron from the tee!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭blue note

I've scanned through this thread. I really like the idea of the clock showing what time you should have started at throughout the round. And it probably would help a few people. But mostly, people just blame others in their group. Or the group in front that held them up that one time. But it could help some people.

Whoever said shooting 70 or 90 doesn't make a difference is plainly wrong. It certainly does. One of the big differences between someone shooting 90 compared to 70 is looking for balls. And that really takes time. But even the extra walking from being offline, additional shots to line up, etc. It's all time that adds up. I play with two guys who's probably average over 100 shots per round. There are holes you could be looking for 3 or 4 balls on. And even when you're not you can be walking across and back on the fairway, over the green and back to the front again. An auld fella who shoots 100 but is straight and taps the ball down the fairway until he reaches the green is fast. Someone who is just massively inconsistent with where they hit the ball is not. And it's not their fault. They'd be faster if they were better. Getting better is bloody hard.

The course set ups are a big problem too. I always say, I love water, because there's no looking for balls in it. If a ball goes into knee high grass - sure you might as well have a gawk. Same if it's in a forest or a bush. But water - everyone accepts it's gone.

And I'm not sure I like the name and shame approach. In fact, I don't like it. A lot of people can't help being slow. If it's through ability or age, there's not much they can do about it. Even those who just can't stop chatting or are away with the fairies and never doing those things that can speed up a round. While I'd love them to change, sometimes that's just who they are. We all have a friend who gets caught up in a conversation and forgets where they were supposed to be walking to or who no matter what, waits until they're supposed to leave before they start getting ready. We need to accept that these people play golf too. Now I'm not saying we can't give out about them or get annoyed by them or even talk about how to change them. We'll go mad if we don't. But we also need to accept that slow people play golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishOwl...

100% this! I played 2 rounds the weekend just gone with some mates from home, and it was brought up several times how tricky both courses were playing due to over growth. Obviously the name of the game is to avoid the trouble but it was really bad on some holes. 90% of the holes played over the 2 days, at least one person was looking for a ball. It was nearly becoming a slog by the end of it.

I would consider our group decent too, handicap ranges from 3.7 to 11 between the 4 of us. But we found it very difficult to keep either round below 4 and half hours.

Agreed. And taking a lot of shots, having to look for balls or someone physically only able to walk slowly are not things that I would categorize as "slow play". If someone takes 105 shots and has to look for balls, then that's just golf.

I would judge whether someone is a slow player by how long on average they take to play a typical shot, not by the total time of all their shots combined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Not judging slow play by the total amount of time to play a round is rather bizarre.

I'm talking about slow play at a player level, not a group. It's difficult to judge an individual golfer by total time for the round, as there is obviously 2-4 players involved.

All I meant was that if someone who takes 75 shots, never looking for balls, takes as long as someone who takes 100 shots, regularly in trouble, to complete a round, I might consider the former a slow player, but not necessarily the latter. They both have taken the same total time, but the former took much longer to take each of his shots. As he probably would on a bad day shooting 90, slowing things down considerably.

I wouldn't judge someone a slow golfer just because they take more shots. That can't be avoided, aside from picking up when out of the hole. It's the time taken for each shot that is the deciding factor and the only thing an individual golfer has control over.

If you just judge slow play by the total amount of time to play a round, then anyone playing with a slow golfer or two is guilty of slow play.

Post edited by newport2 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

"I wouldn't judge someone a slow golfer just because they take more shots. That can't be avoided, aside from picking up when out of the hole. It's the time taken for each shot that is the deciding factor and the only thing an individual golfer has control over."

I'd questions this part a little. Length of time taken to hit a shot is far from the only factor impacting a players pace of play. Some players are more deliberate than others but make up for it by being ready to go when its their turn and other basic common sense things like leaving the bag where it should be en route to next tee, playing ready golf etc. Its when you add not being ready to a slow pre-shot routine that things get bad IMO, regardless of skill level.

As someone else already said, IMO the number 1 cause of slow play is people looking for golf balls far beyond the 3 minute limit and players not hitting provisionals. In a stableford comp theres really no excuse for spending the full 3 minutes a lot of the time. If you hit into knee high cabbage you really need to have the mindset walking down to it that the ball is lost. I'd only give a very quick look in the exact area I think it would be in those cases, 99% of the time you aren't going to find it so quick look and move on to the provisional, shouldn't take more than 30 seconds and shouldn't involve your playing partners. Really the 3 minute limit should only be used where theres a reasonable expectation to find the ball. Unfortunately you have lads who find a ball in the middle of the thick stuff once a year that take the mind sight that they'll find every ball in that situation.

Wouldn't disagree with anything you said there. While time taken for each shot is a large factor, what you do between shots obviously has a big impact too, like you say. My point was I wouldn't judge somebody slow solely on the basis they take more shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Spare a thought for the Ladies Open, rounds taking up to 7 hours. Leona McGuire arriving on oar 3 11th, there were 5 groups waiting, it took over an hour for her to play it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

That is an absolute joke, why are they not penalised for slow play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

20 minute wait on the 5th tee for the leaders today at the women's open, as mentioned above the pace of play is abysmal

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Played in EIG's Social Media Links challenge.

5 and a half hours for each of the first 2 days. Last day we were actually the very first to tee off and we got round in 4 hours. Honestly not sure what people be at taking 5+ hours to play 18 holes. Fair enough conditions were tough but the format itself would lend itself to being quicker considering its a pairs event where you pick the best drive out of 2 and then play your own ball from there. Was fairly soul destroying getting blown away with wind and rain for close to 6 hours.

Two of the toughest links in bad conditions and a 3 day tournament where people will take it very seriously but may or may not know the courses…

5.5 hrs is ugh yes but I wouldnt go there and expect this to be quick tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,475 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A strange thing happened in our club yesterday. A glitch in the booking system last Wednesday resulted in the lines in the timesheet having 4 names for a stroke competition. As a result golfers seemed to play much faster and our round was 4 hrs and 20 minutes which is fast enough for a round in Stableford never mind Stroke.

I'm putting it down to players hurrying up as they had family arrangement later and feared being late.

I've definitely come to the conclusion that slow play is mostly simply down to players just being slow/deliberate (delete as appropriate !).

Saturday was 3hrs 43mins, off the back tees, whereas Sunday, off the forward tees, was 4hrs 36mins with a different group. Same tee time. Both games hugely enjoyable, just shows how different players operate and go about their games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

4 hrs and 20 minutes is not fast enough for Stableford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,475 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭finglashoop

First tee time this morning and got round in just under 3 hours.

No rushing around. I rarely play after the first hour of tee times tbh due to slow play. Id actually only aim for the first half hour of any day i am playing

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

St andrews is such a bottleneck of a course. Played there last weekend. Some of the par 4's were reachable down wind. You had to wait for the green to clear..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Based on what? Setting an arbitrary time expectation, regardless of course etc…., for a round of golf is nonsense and half the problem when adopting a mature approach to discussing slow play.

4h 20min for a 4 ball stableford around Clontarf or somewhere short, I agree is too long. Off the back tees in Killeen Castle, I'd be delighted at 4h20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭coillcam

Played Headfort New and Mount Juliet recently.

Headfort was 5 hours in a 4 ball stableford off forward tees. There's plenty of walking between holes. One chap was off a high index and struggled with the carries over water so it slowed us down a bit when reloading. Two single figure lads and 1 mid index. We had to wait maybe 2-3 times over the last few holes. There were a few lost ball searches also tbf. The two single figure lads are quick golfers.

Mount Juliet was a 3 ball stableford on forward tees also. One scratch golfer and 2 mid index. Total time was 4hr 15m and that included waiting on the last 6-7 holes plus 5 mins stop at halfway for refreshments. Two groups appeared stuck ahead of us, and 2 more backed up behind. Not many lost balls as the course is relatively wide in parts. The two guys are fast golfers too.

I guess your mileage varies based on the day, course layout, weather and playing partners. Mount Juliet easily could have been 3hr45 and out the gap without the stop and delays.

I've always been in two minds about this.

I dislike waiting during a round as much as the next guy. Especially when it happens consistently and it's more than just the odd wait on a par 5 for your long hitters or such. No one likes standing on the tee watching the group ahead rummaging around the trees on every hole. Its off putting.

But really I think people are getting a little obsessed about it, too. Ok, 5 and 6 hrs is just crazy **** and it cant happen. Ever. But what difference does it really make whether your round is 3:45 or 4:15? A round of golf is a 4 hours affair give or take. Some people sit in the car for an hour or two for it, too. And then freak out over 20 minutes delay on the course.

If those few minutes are really a deal breaker then maybe golf just isnt the sports for you at this point in your life. A little perspective is sometimes needed IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think this is spot on to be honest. 4.5 to 5 hour golf is not for everyone , I personally hate it. I get bored and then the slow play and routines just do my head in. But the good news is , there are lots of other formats of golf and ways to play golf that is faster.

Just Irish club scene is obsessed with 4 balls and finishing out - people take the game way to serious in Ireland . But I have seen a positive trend , with more ways to record a score , 9 holes, general play.

I'm not an early riser - but as I get older maybe this will be the way to go. Lads that want to get around quick are out early .

The secret to golf is to find like minded golfers that want the same thing. There are a good few golfers out there that genuinely want a 5 hour round , they are not going to change for anyone , in fact they are inclined to almost slow down to make a point if they are told about it. Golf by its nature is a bit a selfish and self absorbed.

A big mistake I see people make , is they go out with the complete wrong expectation. Certain days are going to be very slow - golf type, course, player type. When you go out with an unrealistic expectation of how long a round will be. This is a recipe for disaster for yourself and everyone involved. With experience , I've definitely improved here.

But back to your point - golf is not for everyone , it is utterly impractical and ridiculously timing consuming, too hard , over too large an area , into a small hole - and then have 4 lads at this at the same time - it just doesn't work.

We played v par today and Saturday is an unusual one for us so there were gaps and 2 balls. Ended up playing in a 2ball with a 2ball ahead and not much wait. Just over 3 hrs, was nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭AyeGer

We were stuck behind a group this morning who lost 2 holes to the group in front of them. They would have seen us sanding waiting on nearly every shot. They should have let us through but didn’t. And it’s quite awkward to ask to get through especially when you only half know the people involved.

I'd agree with you. I hate being held up as much as the next lad but it's a luxury to play the game let alone have 5 odd hours a week to dedicate to leisure activity. A few mins shouldn't drive you mad. I never expect to fly around unless I'm carry for 6 or 9 holes on my own midweek. Singles comps are slower tbf. Only foursomes, matchplay or 4bb get you in quickly. The only pro am I played was easily over 5 hours.

When I played Mount Juliet last week it was playing with with 2x mates. The first lad I havent seen for 2 years as he lives in Canada and the other guy I rarely get to play with.

MJ was the 2nd guy's fave track and were in the car for 4 hours round trip. I don't think pace of play came up after the round. We were chatting about bouncy greens, course layout and how enjoyable it is to play for a few mins. In between life chat etc. Plenty of chat to fill the gaps which was just as important and enjoyable as the golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭swededmonkey

Played with a group of players at the weekend and will never again. The 4ball was made up of 1 mid handicap and 3 high, handicaps ranged from 12-35 and it was strokes. As you can imagine there was plenty of 3 being played off the tee, sometimes 5 and once a guy was playing 7, who hoped to find one of them in the bushes. We’d got an early tee time, 4th group out and very little traffic in front. In theory, this should have been a casual 4 hours that turned into 5 & 1/2 hours by the time we let groups through. Ability for the group to keep the ball in play (myself included at times) consistently was the biggest issue, followed by more than one player reloading off the tee. But what really bothered me most was the lack of awareness to how slow people were and wouldn’t make small measures to pick up the pace. Bags being left away from the next tee box, casually nattering between shots, arduous pre shot routines. I lost count of the amount of times I said we had fallen behind and need to pick up the pace (group in front were out of sight by the second hole), just fell on deaf ears. Completely infuriating.

Rant over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Rare Sunday morning round for me yesterday, group in front v slow, lost 4 holes and created massive backlog on the course, blanked us when we went over to ask to play through….anyhow I was playing a casual matchplay against my mate and picked up a bogey putt as he got a par, other part of 4ball said we weren't going anywhere that we should take our time, I get the point but if we all thought like that we're part of the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Late Saturday evening a lad decided to join our group as we had one spot free. I nearly died when I saw the name as I envisaged a very long day out hacking around.

Come yesterday and off we set, true, the round was long, however I found out midway through that this man has had a myriad of health problems and procedures in his latter years.

We played our round and by my judgement we were only 20 minutes later than normal. The one thing l took from it all was when this lad came over to us on the 18th and told us how much he really enjoyed the day out. He finds it hard to get out and about, he needs the buggy to get around and apart from very necessary journeys he's confined to his house.

There's many reasons why lads could be slow however with regards to health, none of us really know what's around the corner 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,078 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

no offence meant, but you are part of the problem. if group in front has lost 2 holes and is making no effort to call you through, you absolutely have to call them out on it. no matter who they are.

Is reporting people a bit childish ? Or school ground like ?

The best systems in the world are self - policing .

A culture of slow play is back in golf again after covid.

All golfers need to start talking again.."lads we are facing a 4hr30 min round here" ..can we keep things moving..be ready with your club at your go , or go when ready

Have a look at your routine and take something out of it .

Walk faster ..

Golf Ireland need to issue videos and an information campaign.

Pro.game needs to be seriously sorted out ..gone absolutely daft.

Scotland is great for golf ..over 4 hour rounds is simply not tolerated..

Culture in golf in Ireland gone a bit ,work from home...

Totally agree Fix,

The culture around slow play is bonkers at times. We've gone to now thinking 4:30/4:45 is grand, that a 4 hour round is "running", the whole "sure you're out for the day anyway" bla bla bla.

Not sure how to fix it though, because the real issue is that slow players don't think they're slow. Maybe Golf Ireland could do some work/presentations, even a bloody e-mail outlining what's acceptable.

I am not talking about reporting slow play. I am talking about reporting a group that has lost 4 holes and won't let you play through.
    I would report this in my club and no, I don't think that this is childish.

• Advertisement

Was kinda on the fence about this but on reflection you need to do something to incentivise people to cop on. I dunno if a few emails/videos from GI will help here.

If you were slowing things up on an expensive course you should meet a ranger querying the situation. Not that you'd be kicked off the course, but they'd bench you until a couple of groups passed through.

If you report the slow group what will actually happen to them beyond a friendly call that night from a committee member asking them to speed up?

It's not like they'll see any repercussions and if something warranted is another debate.

The rules allow for provisioning a max amount of time for a round and other stipulations in a comp e.g. You must either finish directly behind the group in front or be under 4.5 hours for the round, otherwise you are DQ (you get the idea). There is plenty ofd examples.

It's the same people in every club. You just start monitoring the persistent offenders and sanctioning them with DQs. Education and information campaigns are a waste of time unless you get to the people before they are allowed out in comps.

An information campaign works in every other aspect of life.

Safety

workplace

smoking

cycling

Recycling

Health issues

Road safety

First Aid

Advertising / domestic life

Global warming

Political

Social issues

Security issues

Why is golf so different and it would make no differences - are golfers special types. A strange outlier of life.

All those you could argue have pretty clear adverse consequences and information campaigns quite rightly trying to avoid those consequences.

There is no adverse consequences for slow play as far as I can see in most courses/clubs. The slow people have always been slow and no amount of education campaigns are going to change that unless they are also backed up by proper sanctions. It's a combination of carrot and stick that is required as we've had loads of education campaigns etc… and they don't work.

I agree entirely, there are signs (multiple even) on nearly every course indicating the appropriate pace at 1, 9 and in between. Posters in the locker room and pro shop. Plus occasional emails to members on etiquette and stepping aside.

There is an abundance of information that's being ignored and too much preciousness of "I'm not slow!" or "They can f'n wait, I'm not being raced around by xyz!".

Clearly, the info is inadequate and ineffective. It needs something else to supplement and make it more effective. I don't think we'll end up going as far as DQ'ing people in my club or having a way to "clock" them. The onus will be on players to call out the other groups respectfully and seek to play through.

I had an idea of suggesting a 2-3 strike policy. Eg if you get reported (with photos) that you're unreasonably holding up play. However, the reporter needs to have at least first spoken to group to move on or play through with nothing resulting afterwards. If you get reported 2-3 times, you lose access to booking tee times via app/web until you attend an etiquette meeting. The only issue with anything like this is it fosters animosity and takes a fair amount of admin effort with the balls to follow through on the committee side. I just foresee this being loads of photos, letters, moaning and phone calls without much improvement.

Maybe a mandatory etiquette refresher for everyone is required 1-2 times per year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement