Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland General Discussion Thread 2024 [use match threads for games]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭markw7

Yep, thought comparing him as motm to a DEI hire was funny as imo he had a very poor game and didn't come close to getting motm (he has been good in the past though tbf) but when I posted it could see that didn't come across and edited it straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Pickford’s passing is better than most of our outfield players 🫣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

a midfield 2 is suicide. Thats why there was talk a few years ago of maybe pushing Collins into midfield. Maloney even briefly theorised O'Brien coming into midfield (for some reason).

We seem to be stuck playing a back 5 because we know we can't control a midfield with our options so have to soak up pressure. But at this stage its just a self-fulfilling prophecy as whatever 2 feckers end up in the middle are just constantly outnumbered. Since Whelan left we just haven't had a proper midfield set up. Halgrimsson needs to try an actual 3 man midfield to see if that provides any stability. Whether its throwing an extra CB to act as a DM in or just starting a trio of Molumby/Knight/Browne to chase people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

A poor performance, but against much better opposition.

We really didn’t seem to know what we wanted to do. We pushed up far to high and they made mincemeat of us on the counter. Second half was just a case of a team keeping the other at arms length. England had no intention of giving us a hiding.

Tuesday is a big game. Kind of feels like our manager is phoning it in and relying on O’Shea and his team, needs to stamp his authority.

Halgrimsson has no choice but to rely on O'Shea. He got the gig after all the friendlies. He had no experimentation time himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm not too disappointed (though I felt we should have nicked a goal) because this game was not our competition and it's ridiculous to try judge the manager on that game. Greece will be a much better barometer.

A win on Tuesday would really lift everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Well outclassed simply. Slightly better from us in the 2nd half once we took Coleman and Doherty off and added a third midfielder. I wouldn't take a huge amount out of today's match but we need a good performance on Tuesday for the HH era to get going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

He’s been in the job a month. I’m not expecting miracles, I am expecting authority. I don’t see it.

And today’s performance was muddled. They sort of went for it, and they sort of defended. I didn’t expect a result but it was too easy for England.

• Advertisement

To be fair it was 'only' 2-0 in the end. Had we been playing Kennyball I'd say it would have been a lot worse scoreline. I thought our second half performance whilst far from perfect was not actually that bad and we probably should have scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Our forwards are maybe worse - none of them can hit target , never mind score.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Mod: This is the Soccer forum not the grammar forum.

Racism will NOT be tolerated here, users WILL be banned wether they edit posts or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Love Coleman - but at 35 , a bit crazy him starting against that English line up

Have we anyone who would get in front of him. Or should ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That was embarrassing both on and off the pitch but not the manager's fault.

1. Booing an Anthem is Neanderthal in this day and age.
    2. Booing players throughout the game is silly and disappointing. Lads with the same choice would have taken the same decisions imo. The lads booing will be across the pond cheering on the same lads in a week or two.
    3. Playing Coleman, Brady and Doherty was ridiculous. Too slow and predictable. We need to blood new players. These are well past their sell-by date. They won't be in the squos the next time we qualify for the finals of a competition.
    4. It was only the manager's first game with only 3 days with the lads so not really his team.
    5. It will get better but it will take time.
    6. Kelleher did very well. Should have been motm.
    7. 22% won't win many games but that will rise with games hopefully. You have to be able to hold the ball and pick a pass. We did very poorly today in that area.
    8. Keep the faith lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

O'Sheas involvememnt in the backroom team should be disposed of after this round of games he keeps calling up nonsense nowhere up to top level.

A sign of the scarcity of options, when England were bring on Eze and Gibbs-White, we were deploying Alan Browne.

We are royally f*cked for wing back options (both sides) with a combination of Coleman (age and injury), Doherty (laziness) and Brady (never a WB to start with) nowhere near standard.

On the plus side, I decided that Molumby would take over my absolutely nailed on Anytime Yellow Card wager (used to be nailed on McClean) so that paid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Really hope the new manager can find something but we have no real full backs/ wing backs at the minute. As some else said playing the likes of o'shea and scales at full back and going to a 4 is imo the best way forward. No matter the opposition we cannot stay going with 2 in the middle of the park especially when we lack quality in there.

Didnt like that the team very quickly reverted to type and humped it long, i for one dont want us to go back to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Greece are 2-0 up already (36m) and look dangerous on the counter attack. Tsimikas just assisted for their 2nd with great run outside. We can't match him for pace and he could nullify Ogbene, unless Ogbene occupies him enough, but it seemed to have been turnovers that did for us for both goals. Finland look narrow here tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭John arse

You always take the whether with you😁😁😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

from the post match press conference it’s clear the FAI have hired a mad man. What’s unclear is how long it will take the penny to drop and then how long it takes to move him on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Is there any truth to this squad being O'Shea's doing? Or are people jumping to conclusions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Was said by HH in lead up to game that he would be taking backseat and jos would lead team for this .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

JOS needs to be jettisoned from coaching ticket ASAP,he was part of the Kenny disaster. How is he still here? Also gets an armchair ride from the media.

Yeah still not sure how they came up with him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

In what way mad? I thought he called things honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

Did I just read someone calling for the manager to go after a 2 nil loss to England in his first game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A bit harsh judging on his first game, a game we were never going to be competitive in no matter who is in the dugout.

The only concerning thing for me at the moment is the JOS angle. Looks like he's calling some shots. There were a couple of players starting who really should no longer be involved. Seeing Brady on the teamsheet is just depressing and Coleman (past it) and Doherty too.

We lack options but I'd rather see wild cards from the underage setup if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

We won't lay a hand on Greece on Tues night,technically and football wise they are miles ahead of us,even against what looks a very poor Finland team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Just back from the game. First half was awful, as bad a display as I can remember. Thankfully England took their foot off the gas in the second half and we got a bit of joy. Kelleher was excellent, Ogbene offered a threat when we got the ball out to him quickly.

Really think we need to start building a team without Brady, Doherty and Coleman. I'm a little worried HH is too reliant on JOS's opinions on players at the moment, hopefully that will change after this round of games.

Tuesday's game will be a better indication of where are, last time out against Greece at home we were absolutely clueless so the bar is low. Hopefully we'll see better possession and less punts up to Idah or Ferguson who don't suit the target man tactics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If he went playing for Wales, Scotland or Timbuktu I could understand it but not when he decided to play for his own country.

He's an Englishman playing for England, you just accept that and move on unless your an idiot.

It would have been strange seeing Rice proudly roaring "God Save The King" if he was in green.

Bit of a stench of "these are my friends" about a couple of starting picks today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Probably from him having led an even smaller team to top their qualification group for a world cup? Something that far outshines anything any of our managers have done in decades?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Did you even read the post you quoted?

And stating 'you just accept that and move on unless you're an idiot' is a poor look in a discussion forum to be honest.

I'd love to see who the alternatives are. They are still the best natural full backs available. Sure we can shove O'Shea and Scales into the full back spots but that will have its own set of problems. But would also allow us to really focus on offensive set pieces with at least 4 CB's on the pitch we should overwhelm opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Either Ireland played well or England were taking the p**s. They barely broke a sweat.

I thought it was poor of Ireland supporters to loudly boo during the national anthem. And very ironic with who scored the goals.

This reads like you ignored the post you quoted… the issue people have is that despite being born and raised in England, he made a commitment to the Irish team, reaffirmed that commitment repeatedly, played for the senior team several times, kissed the badge, and then after all that decided to go back on his commitment.

He clearly always wanted to play for England, and he should be playing for England - and given that that's how he feels he never should have come into our senior team in the first place. It was a bad faith move on his part. I'm not a fan of boo'ing players, but it's super obvious why people have a legitimate issue with his decision making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Well Coleman shouldn't be playing CB ahead of the 3 CB's on the bench, Doherty shouldn't be near the squad with his lack of work rate. Brady maybe offers something on the left but it's not much, can't see how Scales filling in there in a position he played for Rovers and Aberdeen is any worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say England have had tougher training sessions than that.

Yeah well I kind of knew that but I still think he wasn't even near being first choice.

Love to see Corrie Ndaba come into the squad at Left Back at some stage… was an alright centre back earlier on, but has come on in leaps and bounds since switching to left back full time. Been playing really well for Kilmarnock over the past year particularly. Very strong defensively with tonnes of pace and strength.

I mean, of course he wasn't. There's probably dozens of managers I'd have ahead of him, but we would never have been able to get any of them realistically - that's just the reality of the job being pretty unattractive. Tbh he's got an awful lot more credibility and success behind him than I feared we'd end up with in our new man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Don't think we will get anything out of the Greece game.

In fact we could be in for another rocky evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well if it was rugby there'd be nobody booing him or an Irish player playing for England which has happened.

I just look at these people as idiots. You should have a bit of cop on, enjoy the game and leave an Englishman playing for his own country alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,933 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Outclassed, men against boys

Pity we can't take some of the under 21s for the October window. Bloody Greece winning 3-0 tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Advertisement

Yeah he did well with Iceland - his home country but then later wasn't great with Jamaica, he strikes me a little bit as a fish out of water but the best of luck to him, we’ll see.Good luck.

Advertisement