Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Can't disagree with alot of what you re saying but the thing is it all depends on where you start and what you want to achieve.nowadays it's rare to be in one occupation you re whole life and if you can think you can gather some wealth in say a 15 or 20 year span at it and then sell the cows and move on,happy days.in Ireland it's seen as failure if you don't continue but it's only a failure if you make no money and aren't happy at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭visatorro

would be fair operations at those labour units. contractors bill would come to 2 labour units aswell? remember there was a thread on here years ago, the price of efficiency, for 1 labour/150 the need to spent money tp save on labour would nearly be a labour units wages in cost/year aswell. so your up on 5 labour units now for 300 cows. maybe im looking at this in a backward way. not sledging hope my point is coming across

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Another way of looking at it. Is if you do your own work. Machinery, etc, as much as possible, is you require less cows.

If you start getting the contractors to do everything little thing. Suddenly you require 500 cows to make a living.

The journal and teagasc like and promote the second model as it's more money for contractors, more money for the spin off services from each individual cow to the service providers.

If you can afford new machines yourself they should last a lifetime with the reduced work and be there when you want them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

But then you've the running costs, parts aren't cheap. You never know the day or the hour you'll be let down by a machine

• Advertisement

Ye but you dont have the headache of fixing the gear. I know the machine is there when you want it and all's good when things work out but nothing worse than looking for parts on a Saturday night

Can be more favourable than trying to talk on the phone to some contractors. 🤪😬

Some you are expected to know when their mower is on and when their mower is off the tractor and then you are expected to believe their weather forecast that it won't rain for the week.

Don't ask..🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ginger22

Farming must be fair torture for anybody doing it solely for the money. You need a love for it also, like the machinery and stock breeding and making progress every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

gave 10 years working for multinational …great money ,perks pension etc …..an amount of bullshit to put up with but didn’t bother me ….I was lucky in I got vokuntary redundancy and my dad wanted to retire ….I absolutely love what I’m at now and all the hassle and shite that goes with it ….yep it’s frustrating some times but it beats dealing with jumped up little **** of line managers in out of college and no offence…women …majority were fine but some if you had an argument or they didn’t like something you did or said might forget it for few days or a week or month etc but they never forget and you’ll always get it back both barrels 🤣….give me cows any day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭green daries

Yes

One man 150 cows ........well that's one way to ensure no successor....your really going to have to walk me through those figures kg

• Advertisement

Absolutely it's an animal welfare event plus a farmer tragedy waiting to happen 90 cows per man/woman max that's it after that the farmer would be an indebted slave

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’m working in an organisation with a similar type of atmosphere, albeit I’m only officially there 3 days/week. €80k per year, pension, 31 day’s annual leave, travel if you want it, etc. - easy enough to get a position like that in there. But you need to have a certain political or manipulative mindset as technical ability will only get you so far in most of those places with “good jobs”.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭cute geoge

And your walking away from that security to go milking ,Fair does to you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks. It’s either the best decision I’ll ever make or the worst 😂

I won’t know what being tied to cows will be really like until it’s too late but at least I’m seeing some hard truths on here every day.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

At one stage we had 16 cows and I was kept going.as for how many cows 1 person can handle that's down to the person and how they are set up.2 possible successors here but if its still that way in a few years we ll have to set up another place.both are getting the opportunity to do other things first.

They are a fairly twisty outfit in my mind talk a great talk about fairness but it's still just an exercise in extortion same as the rest of auctioneers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭lmk123

brave move walking away from that, I’d love to walk away from my job as I hate, never had any bother walking away from jobs in the past but it’s amazing how a mortgage and children change the mindset, I can safely say if I didn’t have the farm I’d end up on the news some evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Grueller

Could you swing it to keep a couple of days a week? A relief milker on those days in busy times and you might just manage it for the initial couple of years that are more cash hungry.

My position is that I am 5 years milking now and did manage to keep working half hours. I have passed the real cash hungry part of development now and am considering dropping the day job, not immediately, but in the medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭older by the day

I love seeing the milking posts in an easy september, easy work load, grass growing better than June. Fellas on that one man can manage 150 cows. Anyone can manage cows the 8th of September

How soon long hard springs with saturated ground, cows bulling inside, and calfs shoved everywhere, sleepless nights are forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭yewdairy

The amount of cows one person can manage is farm specific. 150 can be done provided good setup, contracting all the big jobs, very little fragmentation. Also good relief milker is vital, anyone will burn out quickly doing all the milkings.

• Advertisement

I calve down 100/110 cows in 10/11 weeks in spring …..in spring I have local transition year student for 2 hours in morning ,2 in evening …another local lad gives me hand Saturday /Sunday during spring …..once past mid April I have relief Milker Saturday /Sunday evening and if I’m ever away for few days etc

In no way would I like to be on my own all spring and having Saturday Sunday evening relief Milker even if doing nothing is great just to get break from parlour ….I could go another 20/30 cows if I had land around parlour with same help

Farm has lots of automation from calf feeder to good spec parlour good gandeling faciiities etc ….crucial for mostly one man show

Probably the biggest thing to get your head around is the difference between having things right and having things perfect.they are not the same

That's not one man don't be putting up fairytale rubbish lads have seen through these type figures a long time ago and anyone who hadn't has this last 22 months

tbf as he described in perfect scenario …..that is workable …..labour hired in is the big one tho lads can leave at a whim and don’t give a white ….one of young lads with me is good when here but prone to fook ups and can be unreliable …..was meant to milk for me Thursday evening as I had funeral to go to and wouldn’t be home till 8 …..he rings me at 4.30 to say he can’t milk with some fob story …..long story short I was home at 7.45 and had to milk …..that’s down side of one man show relying on help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The new term been coined on the above type units is the shadow wage

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/research-estimates-shadow-wage-on-irish-dairy-farms/

theirs probably another combined labour unit on alot of these one man band set-ups but its not accounted if it was, the real world profitability levels on farm would be on the floor, and the top 10% of farm that apparrently cleared 1k a cow in 2023 would be back to 400-500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭yewdairy

the amount of hours a farmer puts to run a farm vary a lot depending on farm specific things. The lad that puts out his own slurry will work more hours that a lad who leaves it all to the contractor. Well organized yards save hundreds of hours a year.

Work will expand to fill the hours, look up lean management in production sites and see the difference proper organization makes

No. No it's not up to the person or circumstances 😕. No matter the facilities there's only so many cows one man can handle on his own. contracting silage and bits of hedge cutting or digger work. If you're getting contractors to do a heap of work along with mammy and daddy maybe other family plus possibly two relief milkers ( not aimed at anyone specificly ) then your not on your own . It really amazes me that lads love to tell everyone that's paying them for there product that they can do the work of three people and still expect to get paid properly for it .have we not learned by now milking cows and farming in general is expensive,and bloody hard work ( also very enjoyable most of the time) stop being heroes boasting of numbers when someone else's helping/doing the work

Yet again more fairytale stories. Lean mean fantastic fabulous 👌. I'm not knocking lads it's just it'd not the reality on the ground there's no need to be a hero you know....

Great advice g.

• Advertisement

Aye, looking for a medal about how wonderful they are , when in reality they're a fool

Advertisement