Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland General Discussion Thread 2024 [use match threads for games]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We need to accept that we are at a lower level than the likes of Greece, and have been for a long time.

We are a 4th seed team now, plain and simple. For some reason, some pundits or those in the media think that we are favourites entering those type of games. We shouldn't be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

But it wasn't rugby, it was soccer. Completely different mentality on So many levels - everybody knows that.

'...Englishman playing for his country alone.' - you are just being completely obtuse at this stage and Bordering on low level Trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The very classy England supporters seemed to be in the bar in the Grand Canal Hotel

Say it'll be a war warzone later. The ones in the Stadium didn't seem to bad. Those **** idiots running on the pitch though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He was still pretty good with Jamaica tbh, got some brilliant results there - particularly beating the now-excellent Canada over two legs. Did well in the Concacaf Nations League, got to the Semi-Final of the Gold Cup, and had two wins from two in their world cup qualifiers before he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭John arse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭ledwithhedwith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes agree with the fans booing the English anthem as very poor! They got their answer with a first half hammering. Amazing with rugby how both fans respect each other and we do the talking on the pitch!! Great atmosphere pre match, other than that same old story ( going on now for over 20 years)

I know who I'd be booing after that rout and it isn't the Brits!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭John arse

Yeah and he looked after the bobsleigh team as well didn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

So awful performance aside, any update on Coleman? Was nasty but hopefully not too serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What‘s Kennyball? Would Nathan Collins have been trying Cruyff turns and Jake O’Brien constantly giving the ball away on the edge of their own box…or is that part of Heimirball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Careful you don't fall off that high horse.

Throughout the Euros it was the English fans booing every opponents anthem

Today the "auld enemy" came to town. A bit of booing was always expected. No one was ripping us seats and behaving like thugs.

I watched it in a pub the algarve with both English and Irish people. There was banter and a bit of booing but all good natured.

I expect we will get a similar reception for the return game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

An accusation of trolling because I have an opinion that you show some manners. Your the one trolling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You may want to read my post again, you seem to have a habit of not understanding simple statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

'you are just being completely obtuse at this stage and Bordering on low level Trolling.'

What did I misunderstand about that comment?

You claim I accused you of Trolling. Maybe your understanding of the word Borderline isn't what it should be.

Afterall, if I believed you were Trolling it would have been acted upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Kennyball was possession for possession sake until we passed the ball straight to the opposition in a dangerous area followed by desperately scrambling about.

We were definitely better today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

We may not have great alternatives but surely we'd be better off trying a few young lads than Coleman Doherty or Brady.

• Advertisement

I would like to see starting teams without the 3 of them. We need to look forward and move on with other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

We have absolutely no right to think we can get near Greece nevermind England . We are simply a joke of a football country with delusions about how good our players are at times .

Greece number 1 sport is football , they have a proper professional league , they have a club that are current conference league champions , they are former Euro champions and are literally light ahead of us in every aspect of the game.

We are exactly where we deserve to be and no amount of bull **** applications to Co host events will change it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I thought Brady did alright.

Coleman was shredded, but he was exposed by a lack of Doherty covering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yeah true.

Actually the Racing Post was asking us to plump on a draw for the England game ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

The only reason the score wasn't worse was because Kelleher in goal was excellent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Haven't posted here for a while as things were getting silly around the manager speculation but have to say the game tonight was an absolute disgrace. The first half was as poor a performance as Ireland have ever delivered. We looked terrified to do anything and were afraid to tackle. On a number of occasions England were standing well inside our half with their foot on the ball with no pressure or challenges coming in. Not clear what the players were asked to do but if they did as asked then the manager needs to have a look at himself.

There was no passion or urgency in the game. They capitulated from the start and it was never really a contest. Even under SK we were able to compete with top teams but tonight was embarrassing.

Their behaviour at the end was equally repugnant. They seemed afraid to come near to the crowd rather doing a token clap from well outside the 18 yard line.

The whole set up and squad need a serious attitude adjustment.

and can someone please explain to me why Matt Doherty is still getting caps? He offers absolutely nothing other than lethargy and disinterest.

I am actually questioning if I want to goto matches these days as it is awful to watch. Flights and hotels are big money in London, Helsinki and Greece and is a lot to ask for for players that won't put in a shift.

Sorry for the rant but I am **** livid with what I saw tonight

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It really doesn't matter if Greece has a better domestic league than Ireland or not.

We were competitive for years against teams with better leagues than ours when our league was a lot poorer than it is today.

For Euro 2004 qualifying we were in Pot A of the draw, seeded 6th overall.

And no matter how much we put into academies and facilities etc, the structure in the UK and Europe will always be better and the better players will always go to England and Europe.

HH needs to get us back to being competitive in that middle tier of European international soccer.

Lads wtf is with €10 programmes ?

Did HH kiss it or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

But kids can't go to the UK until they're 18, or Europe until they're 16 now. We have to do some of the work ourselves and stop hoping someone else does it for us. A problem clear as day for decades that wasn't dealt with and now we are reaping the results, it is going to be tough to make inroads without massive investment in domestic academies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Great servants (especially Coleman) but the three of them are completely washed up. Not sure what the alternatives are though but zero point persisting with the older lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Everytime I see any of them on the team sheet it's bloody depressing. We seem to have a problem with retiring players. We need to look to the future. Management and players too pally with each other. HH should take control and clear the decks. That's his job - not leave it to JOS.

Brady and Doherty up there with McClean and Hendrick (took ages to get rid of them despite the fact they hadn't done anything for years for the team).

For some reason Irish management going back years and years have thought "past it" players should be given priority until they are practically falling over like they are owed something. We end up with them staying way past their usefulness to the detriment of developing younger talent in their positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

On paper our players are similar quality.

You could argue ours actually play at a higher level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The key word there is "play". Kelleher is our best player right now, despite a few cup games he's not going to get regular game time.

Some of the subs today pretty much summed up our squad. It was Ferguson's first game in 5 months (injury allowing he has a big task to get back in that Brighton Frontline) and O'Brien doesn't seem to be able to get a kick of the ball at Everton. None of our players are going to develop/progress without game time.

Playing for a Greek side in European competitions is unquestionably more beneficial than sitting on the bench for a club of a "higher level".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

Wow. So it's acceptable for the drunken pests to sing about the death of another human , regardless of age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Banter, as you call it, it's perfectly fine.

But booing a national anthem if pretty low in my opinion. I know it's a horrible anthem, I know we've got history, none of us are fools. But I think ignoring an anthem is much better than booing it. In fact, I'd say that's very "English" of our fans for booing their anthem.

As for the match, they barely broke a sweat. We where terrible in the first half, arguably the worst half of football from us in recent memory. Second half was better, but mainly because the English weren't over exerting themselves.

And as for the goal scorers. I've no ill feeling towards either of them. Grealish only played youth football for us. Rice on the other hand wasn't given a competitive cap by O'Neill and was bullied by Roy Keane, so who can blame him for jumping ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Roy Keane bullied Rice? where did you hear that? I never heard this before. I think you made that up.

Also Rice was never on the bench for us in a competitive match so why blame O'Neill for not giving him a cap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

I mentioned this half as a joke a couple of weeks ago, but I do feel like HH has been leaning heavily on the coaching staff because he knew it was going to be a pretty tough start. Wanted to have some ready made excuses in, and I wouldn't blame him for that. My personal expectations were very low and think 2-0 flattered us. The gulf is massive but the 5 at the back has to die. I'm going to try and not judge him until the Nations League is over at the earliest. The bar is set good and low, lets see if and where improvements are.

I know a lot of you have very strong opinions about Kenny here, but one of my big takeaways from the 2 matches against Greece was how much better they felt man for man, It's a good experiment to get to play someone again so soon to compare and see if there's actually anything a different approach will bring, lord I think we need a different shape or we will just surrender midfield again thou.

We also struggled v Finland under the early Kenny reign, although I think that was probably too long ago to really make a decent comparison.

The team has a real lack of maturity and steel, something that will probably only come with time, and that's my best guess as to why we keep persisting with some of the older guys, no matter how much they are struggling physically. It's probably not the route I'd take, but maybe the alternative is worse.

We have a lot of very promising players with plenty international experience that I think we all hoped would be further along than they once looked like they would be, I still think there's plenty of improvement there in individual players, so I feel cautiously optimistic about the medium term squad situation, but it could all go to hell easily enough too. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

The main thing I notice between most teams and ireland - we have to work really hard to retrieve the ball and tire out as a result whereas the opposition just wait patiently for a long ball or poor touch and take possession again. We must be the easiest team in Europe to play against, we can't hold possession for any length of time without the urge to hit one of those superstar cross field passes straight back to the opponents defenders. I think having no midfield is a big part of that...nobody to knit a few passes together and calm things down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The last time Rice was in an Ireland squad, Keane had a blazing row with Walters. Walters was carrying an injury and sat out training. Keane wanted him to train. Big noisy row broke out, the two never liked each other now hate each other.

Rice subsequently said he wasn’t playing for Ireland again. People put 2 and 2 together and put it down to Keane’s behaviour. But I’d guess that had absolutely nothing to do with Rice’s decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I still don't get the Rice nonsense. He seemed the proudest one belting out God Save the King. I doubt he could have done that in the green. Even if he was tied to Ireland wheres the guarantee he'd actually play for us? He could just do a Stephen Ireland or just retire from international football anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

"......….I’m learning as we go,” continued Hallgrimsson. “Hopefully, I will have more authority when time goes on...…"

The indo article this morning I found a bit depressing. No major changes for the Geeece game. JOS still making the selection calls. I might give it a miss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Delighted to see Rice & Grealish score. Perfect response.

tbh why are you on the thread if you are English? Just seems a bit sad. Fair enough being delighted with the two scorers but why bother come on to tell Irish fans? I wasn’t going on bbc sport comments when you lost the euros in heartbreaking fashion. The two boys will end up with the same international trophies if they stayed or left anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

I'm as Irish as one can be. Just not thick Irish that has to boo a player every time they get on the ball. Even more embarrassing when both players have scored.

oh god , you were delighted they scored?were you up for England?

• Advertisement
Advertisement