Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,069 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I suppose if the stock is yours after a certain time period, you are building an asset which might include machinery, cows, Fodder and Co op shares. Know a guy done it for a few years on a smaller scale, he bought 15 acres and is building a house on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jack98

There’s very few farms with 2 people drawing from 100 cows now, the majority in my area with successors are 80-150 cow herds with the son/daughter helping when they’re not working off farm, most of them have college degrees on good money and helping the home farm progress. With work from home 2/3 days a week from a lot of the jobs from college degrees now I think these people are far better off than getting stuck into a partnership or leasing farms away from the home farm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Increasingly if you want to have the cows you gotta do the work.the days of spinning off to discussion groups and open days talking about how many cows you had calved in 3 weeks while someone else does the work at home are gone.as a guide it looks like labour will be guided at 150-one man, show ,300 1 hired labour unit and 500 plus is owner +2hired labour units.there are guys that could take over and run big units successfully but I ve a feeling you could count them on the one hand in the country but there's alot more that think they could do it.thats really a top 1 %game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I disagree but that’s personal preference. I have a very good friend who’s involved in a partnership on large farm and he’s doing very well from it. It’s not for everybody and that’s fine

I’ve no doubt there is some benefiting from it and it doesn’t suit others. We’ve no outside labour, the benefits of my job far outweigh any notion of me farming on my own right elsewhere now. Good salary, guaranteed bonus, share scheme, pension matched 1.5x what you contribute by the company and work from home 3 days most weeks. I know fellas in partnerships might be building assets such as cows leased into the partnership but it’s so easy to safe money off farm through all the benefits for a fraction of the work.

your job is a bit more than your run of the mill ag job straight after an ag science qualification I would reckon ? A lot of the ppl that you would find in collaborative farming arrangements have done an ag science course of some description. They can get a job in the Industry but they’re not going to get a share scheme and salary will only be average, they still have to use up there holidays, evenings and weekends relieving the parents at home or else end up relief milking/ being a part time labour unit to bump up there salary/keep there hand in

The few I know at it have more time off than I would and have better incomes from their own wages and a profit share. Now I have other perks that they don’t but there is plenty ppl out there that are happy with share farming/partnerships/leasing

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Hyland17

Read that too. I have had a recent experience with them. Still mental money been offered up. Couldn't justify the prices that were mentioned. Anyone that is offering the money quoted really needs to sit back and do the sums. Rent will always have to be paid. If oil price rises again and fert goes through the roof alot will be left holding debt to just to stand still. It's a funny time in farming, youth entering farming and handing over all payments plus a little bit more are going to be chasing their tail for along time and still feck all to show for it at current prices. Farming has to hold its own, can see alot of outside jobs propping up farm income at the minute. It will come back at some time

I didn’t do ag science, know plenty that did it and that’s fairly spot on a lot are relief milking or working on other farms as well as the home farm as salary and benefits is very limited bar maybe a company car and very little opportunity of hybrid working or working remote bar the odd day. The opportunities for college graduates in business/finance or engineering in hybrid working setups are much greater and better progression opportunities. A lot with ag degrees are only biding their time while waiting for parents to wind down, I can see why it might appeal to them to make more money to enter one of the setups above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭jaymla627

A 300 cow unit relying on one hired in full-time labour unit is a terrifying prospect, a large unit where the owner wants to step back and isnt carrying alot of debt with good infrastructure in place going into partnership with a younger person and giving them the day to day running of the place and sourcing labour is a lot safer bet long-term than relying on hired in labour that can simply up sticks on two weeks notice…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,077 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You walk into a lot of jobs with a degree in ag science not in the agri sector. Add a masters to it in another dipline down the line and away you go.

One thing I pushed on my children was never have all you eggs in the one basket. Factories in Limerick are paying 50k+ for such qualifications and progression is fast.

You Would need your head screwed on going into a share milking scenario. Most lads with the equity( land stock etc) are not idiots. It's similar to renting pubs or resturants you can be putting a sh!tload of hours in for an ordinary wage.

Those outfits running with them labour unit numbers are contracting in everything and at the 500 cows it's a rotary parlour. That is serious investment and cashflow to manage such an operation. You are trying to keep ten different balls in the air, it's not the top 1% it probably the top 0.1%.

The problem is of the plug is suddenly pulled ( you lose the main lease or are given 12 months notice even) where do you go. Where do you head to with a couple of hundred cows, a tractor, loader, dietfeeder etc.

Youngest lad is gone to London he is flying home to play the last few county championship matches. He is now earning as much as I was at my peak at 25 years of age. He never minds doing farm work or being on a tractor. However I explained to him the reality of being a tractor jockey and farming at 14 years of age.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

Can't disagree with alot of what you re saying but the thing is it all depends on where you start and what you want to achieve.nowadays it's rare to be in one occupation you re whole life and if you can think you can gather some wealth in say a 15 or 20 year span at it and then sell the cows and move on,happy days.in Ireland it's seen as failure if you don't continue but it's only a failure if you make no money and aren't happy at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭visatorro

would be fair operations at those labour units. contractors bill would come to 2 labour units aswell? remember there was a thread on here years ago, the price of efficiency, for 1 labour/150 the need to spent money tp save on labour would nearly be a labour units wages in cost/year aswell. so your up on 5 labour units now for 300 cows. maybe im looking at this in a backward way. not sledging hope my point is coming across

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,833 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Another way of looking at it. Is if you do your own work. Machinery, etc, as much as possible, is you require less cows.

If you start getting the contractors to do everything little thing. Suddenly you require 500 cows to make a living.

The journal and teagasc like and promote the second model as it's more money for contractors, more money for the spin off services from each individual cow to the service providers.

If you can afford new machines yourself they should last a lifetime with the reduced work and be there when you want them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,937 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

But then you've the running costs, parts aren't cheap. You never know the day or the hour you'll be let down by a machine

• Advertisement

Ye but you dont have the headache of fixing the gear. I know the machine is there when you want it and all's good when things work out but nothing worse than looking for parts on a Saturday night

Can be more favourable than trying to talk on the phone to some contractors. 🤪😬

Some you are expected to know when their mower is on and when their mower is off the tractor and then you are expected to believe their weather forecast that it won't rain for the week.

Don't ask..🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭ginger22

Farming must be fair torture for anybody doing it solely for the money. You need a love for it also, like the machinery and stock breeding and making progress every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

gave 10 years working for multinational …great money ,perks pension etc …..an amount of bullshit to put up with but didn’t bother me ….I was lucky in I got vokuntary redundancy and my dad wanted to retire ….I absolutely love what I’m at now and all the hassle and shite that goes with it ….yep it’s frustrating some times but it beats dealing with jumped up little **** of line managers in out of college and no offence…women …majority were fine but some if you had an argument or they didn’t like something you did or said might forget it for few days or a week or month etc but they never forget and you’ll always get it back both barrels 🤣….give me cows any day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭green daries

Yes

One man 150 cows ........well that's one way to ensure no successor....your really going to have to walk me through those figures kg

• Advertisement

Absolutely it's an animal welfare event plus a farmer tragedy waiting to happen 90 cows per man/woman max that's it after that the farmer would be an indebted slave

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’m working in an organisation with a similar type of atmosphere, albeit I’m only officially there 3 days/week. €80k per year, pension, 31 day’s annual leave, travel if you want it, etc. - easy enough to get a position like that in there. But you need to have a certain political or manipulative mindset as technical ability will only get you so far in most of those places with “good jobs”.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭cute geoge

And your walking away from that security to go milking ,Fair does to you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks. It’s either the best decision I’ll ever make or the worst 😂

I won’t know what being tied to cows will be really like until it’s too late but at least I’m seeing some hard truths on here every day.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

At one stage we had 16 cows and I was kept going.as for how many cows 1 person can handle that's down to the person and how they are set up.2 possible successors here but if its still that way in a few years we ll have to set up another place.both are getting the opportunity to do other things first.

They are a fairly twisty outfit in my mind talk a great talk about fairness but it's still just an exercise in extortion same as the rest of auctioneers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭lmk123

brave move walking away from that, I’d love to walk away from my job as I hate, never had any bother walking away from jobs in the past but it’s amazing how a mortgage and children change the mindset, I can safely say if I didn’t have the farm I’d end up on the news some evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Grueller

Could you swing it to keep a couple of days a week? A relief milker on those days in busy times and you might just manage it for the initial couple of years that are more cash hungry.

My position is that I am 5 years milking now and did manage to keep working half hours. I have passed the real cash hungry part of development now and am considering dropping the day job, not immediately, but in the medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭older by the day

I love seeing the milking posts in an easy september, easy work load, grass growing better than June. Fellas on that one man can manage 150 cows. Anyone can manage cows the 8th of September

How soon long hard springs with saturated ground, cows bulling inside, and calfs shoved everywhere, sleepless nights are forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭yewdairy

The amount of cows one person can manage is farm specific. 150 can be done provided good setup, contracting all the big jobs, very little fragmentation. Also good relief milker is vital, anyone will burn out quickly doing all the milkings.

• Advertisement

I calve down 100/110 cows in 10/11 weeks in spring …..in spring I have local transition year student for 2 hours in morning ,2 in evening …another local lad gives me hand Saturday /Sunday during spring …..once past mid April I have relief Milker Saturday /Sunday evening and if I’m ever away for few days etc

In no way would I like to be on my own all spring and having Saturday Sunday evening relief Milker even if doing nothing is great just to get break from parlour ….I could go another 20/30 cows if I had land around parlour with same help

Farm has lots of automation from calf feeder to good spec parlour good gandeling faciiities etc ….crucial for mostly one man show

Probably the biggest thing to get your head around is the difference between having things right and having things perfect.they are not the same

That's not one man don't be putting up fairytale rubbish lads have seen through these type figures a long time ago and anyone who hadn't has this last 22 months

tbf as he described in perfect scenario …..that is workable …..labour hired in is the big one tho lads can leave at a whim and don’t give a white ….one of young lads with me is good when here but prone to fook ups and can be unreliable …..was meant to milk for me Thursday evening as I had funeral to go to and wouldn’t be home till 8 …..he rings me at 4.30 to say he can’t milk with some fob story …..long story short I was home at 7.45 and had to milk …..that’s down side of one man show relying on help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The new term been coined on the above type units is the shadow wage

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/research-estimates-shadow-wage-on-irish-dairy-farms/

theirs probably another combined labour unit on alot of these one man band set-ups but its not accounted if it was, the real world profitability levels on farm would be on the floor, and the top 10% of farm that apparrently cleared 1k a cow in 2023 would be back to 400-500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭yewdairy

the amount of hours a farmer puts to run a farm vary a lot depending on farm specific things. The lad that puts out his own slurry will work more hours that a lad who leaves it all to the contractor. Well organized yards save hundreds of hours a year.

Work will expand to fill the hours, look up lean management in production sites and see the difference proper organization makes

No. No it's not up to the person or circumstances 😕. No matter the facilities there's only so many cows one man can handle on his own. contracting silage and bits of hedge cutting or digger work. If you're getting contractors to do a heap of work along with mammy and daddy maybe other family plus possibly two relief milkers ( not aimed at anyone specificly ) then your not on your own . It really amazes me that lads love to tell everyone that's paying them for there product that they can do the work of three people and still expect to get paid properly for it .have we not learned by now milking cows and farming in general is expensive,and bloody hard work ( also very enjoyable most of the time) stop being heroes boasting of numbers when someone else's helping/doing the work

Yet again more fairytale stories. Lean mean fantastic fabulous 👌. I'm not knocking lads it's just it'd not the reality on the ground there's no need to be a hero you know....

Great advice g.

• Advertisement

Aye, looking for a medal about how wonderful they are , when in reality they're a fool

Absolutely and a great setup mj and best of luck but a lot of lads (not you)try to sell this as a one man setup

Absolutely this is my main point and I really don't understand why farmers and the ag industry want to hide the fact ....I'm really impressed with the ICMSA the last while calling out a lot of this stuff

Going the full circle in the conversation. If you want to have the cows you must do the work.the margin for employed labour has disappeared.as regards the number handled the great thing nowadays is you can have as many as YOU want

Absolutely.whelan and maybe they can do it in there 20s with a relief milker. But life gets in the way pretty fast. And contractors are getting scarce and more expensive. Local lads paying two fellas 220 a day plus taxes...... he has no choice he says

Agreed on all points but unfortunately you can't have as many as you want for a **** load of reasons 😁😁😁

• Advertisement

👍👍reality is I couldn’t afford or justify a full time unit ….unless I could milk over 200 cows I am happy where I am ….reality of my 1 man 🤔unit …..is it isn’t when I include whatever relief milking I get done and lads that help when busy at weekend etc plus contractors ….any of that chain breaks and I was an actual proper one man show I wouldn’t be long getting fed up of farming

at least he rings you. I took on a new young lad in the spring, wouldn’t even tell you if he couldn’t make it. Told him not to bother coming again. Got another young guy after whos great and he’s given me good notice so far of when he can’t make it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭visatorro

hate that. had a lad doing the morning milkings for me before the robot. mightnt appear for a week then jus appear back the following week. started landing abit later than agreed time. stopped washing out the parlour aswell. fecking messer. he made the decision for the big red box i have now easier.

Who manages the robot when you go away for a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,069 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

How long do the robots last?

• Advertisement
Advertisement