Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland General Discussion Thread 2024 [use match threads for games]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

No I support Ireland. Just have to call out nonsense when I see it. I'm also a season ticket holder with my LOI club btw, are you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭ledwithhedwith

you don’t support Ireland. You literally just said you were delighted they scored. You were actively against Ireland in a sport , that really doesn’t make you as Irish as they come. No not a season ticket holder , have gone to about 6 Pats games this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Some of the reaction to this is OTT. People need to relax a bit. We'll have a far better picture of where we are against Greece.

you literally said you were delighted they scored, it’s a message board with actual words, what else am I meant to think? Are you saying you were up for Ireland but were delighted two English players scored? It’s a bit confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I’m a season ticket holder with both Ireland and my LOI club.

The day I’m ‘delighted’ someone scores against either will be the day I hand both back.

Big time! 2 nil down after 25 mins and finished 2 nil, wouldn’t read into it at all. I will say I’m not liking the managers less than authoritative musings but will give him 10 games to see where we are.

Good for you. Enjoy Tuesday's game. I don't think anyone has defected to Greece, so it should be a pleasant evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

That is a worry and saw Gary Breen speaking before the Italy v France game on TV3 the other night and he was hinting JOH something similar. Hopefully it's just for this set of games and until HH can get a look at the squad.

But with the FAI the worry is there's something else going on and as usual they've made mess of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Greengrass53

Exactly but these same morons are spending their hard earned going over to watch the very lads they were booing. YCNMIU.

were you also delighted they scored? Or would you not go as strong to have supported England instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

John Delaney set football back decades in this country. If we invest now we could have a decent side in about 10 years. I honestly don't think there's a manager around who could get us to qualify for the next WC. Teams like Georgia and Kazakhstan are gone past us now.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭rodders999

Have to say there are some early alarm bells ringing by the manager advocating team selection and other duties to John O Shea for these games. Who’s call is it when it comes to making subs?

10th July he was appointed - what’s he been doing since then? Has he gone to any games since the start of the season? He certainly doesn’t have appeared to have seen Seamus Coleman get rinsed by Bournemouth last weekend.

2 months in and he’s not up to speed on the players and for the first big event (and again midweek seemingly) he’s handed over responsibility to his number 2.

It’s weak leadership, if a new CEO of a company behaved like that questions would be asked - no different here.

I presume he his trousering the full wage while letting someone else call the shots. As I said worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

We need to figure out our youth development.

Otherwise we'll be changing managers every 2 years until the cows come home, and it will make zero difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

You know you can actually just disagree with something.

You'd have to have a fairly large inferiority complex to be "delighted" to see them score against your country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Georgia bet Czechia 4-1 yesterday, firmly in the Rearviewmirror there

Football is finished in this country I think.

We are genuinely decade's from where we need to be even if we started tomorrow.

We be very lucky to make 1 or 2 of the next 10 - 15 tournament's.

Other team's won't take the foot off the gas like England did yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,370 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think Brady being in the team is a bit of a joke. I love the guy and have great memories provided by him but what business does he have in our squad let alone team these days. O'Shea shouldn't have had as large a role in these games after the uninspired stuff that was served up the last couple of windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

In what way was that better?! It was absolute muck, like 11 lads on a pitch who had never trained together at times.
    I’m willing to give it a good few games to see where this goes, but as others have said it’s a bit strange the new manager effectively ceding power to JOS because he doesn’t know the squad…what has he been doing since he was appointed?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

The sad fact is the only thing that will fix this is money , and lots of it . Millions on millions needs to be spent on academies ,coaches , facilities, education alongside full time training , loi , and getting the game into big areas like Mayo , Tipp , Clare , Kilkenny/Laois .

And people will say oh we didn’t need it before and we were competitive or football in Kilkenny , Kildare etc was tried before and failed . It wasn’t tried properly, it was half arsed nonsense . And the days are gone of English academies producing players for us .

Problem is we need a massive corporate injection of money and it’s not going to come , the GAA and rugby give much more exposure and success for your money unfortunately. And the government won’t be bailing us out .

It’s a long hard road ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭BrentMused

The way some are going on, you'd think we had a squad full of League One and League Two players and that there is simply no hope of anything but failure.

The reality is the vast majority of this squad are young, PL footballers and/or those who have recently been signed by PL clubs for decent money.

Looking at the squad for this international break:

Kelleher played 26 games for Liverpool last season.

Nathan Collins is a regular at PL level, Dara O'Shea pretty much the same. Jake O'Brien had an excellent season at Ligue 1 level and again is now a PL player. Omobamidele was signed for over £10m by PL Forest.

In midfield you've got Smallbone who will play 30+ games for PL Southampton, players who are operating at the top end of the Championship in Alan Browne, Kasey McAteer (who again is playing PL football this season), Jason Molumby.

The wide forwards we've got Szmodics who scored 27 goals in the Championship last season and is now a £10m PL player. Ogbene who is an £8m PL player again after a very good PL season with Luton.

It terms of strikers we have Evan Ferguson, Idah who has been signed for £9.5m by Celtic, and Parrott who scored 17 goals for Excelsior last season and earned a move to one of the best sides in the Eredivise as a result.

Yes, we're hardly world beaters and full back is a problem area for sure, but there's far more than enough within that squad for a competent manager to be able to get a tune out of. This "no manager in world football could do anything with this squad, it will take decades even if we start now"attitude isn't reflective of the level of the squad at all, IMO.

As always at international level for sides outside that elite bracket, it will largely come down to the manager and whether he is good enough tactically, but in terms of what he has to work with IMO he has plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I think HH might be trying to save face when he said the England game was basically O Sheas baby . Didn’t fancy the England game and now can wash his hands of that performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Rugby only works because they dropped the clubs and centralised the academics. With schoolboy academies in the private schools

Long haul it's damaging the grass roots game as they have completely abandoned the domestic league. The amount of kids dropping the game at 18 after school is insane, and vast majority of kids who only experience the club system are no better off than the football club underage system.

They're eating the DOGS!!!

Donald Trump 2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Agreed - so lets give the guy a fair crack at the whip - a two nill loss at home to the third best team in the world after 3 days with the squad isn't the worst result in the world - its probably fairly realistic.

Lets see how the campaign goes and perhaps the one after that also before making too many decisions.

As for the questions about Soccer in general in ireland - its not in too bad a state all things considered with the history of mismanagement at the FAI and that's down to some brilliant volunteers on the ground for decades.

Biggest issue is facilities for clubs - local club here has some great people involved but renting pitches and trying their best to get land to develop which is proving very difficult - very little central assistance in even scoping the work involved - this is one of the fastest growing underage clubs in the west. There should be support coming in from the FAI to get it developed but very little happening from what I can see.

Perhaps if JD hadnt made the decisions he had or the millions weren't spent on international managers over the past decade clubs like this would have gotten the resources they needed but either way these clubs need to be supported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

Always a poor indicator of intelligence when you resort to name calling.

Well suited to being an Irish soccer pest , apologies, fan 🤣

Mod Edit: warning applied to this post

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

In fairness...Keane has been hard work since he got the sack everywhere ...Ireland tolerated his antiquated carry on and dark age psychology as it was the FAI..

Anyone who has to listen to him week in week out ..would realise why he would turn guys away. Sure he is still going on about his old grudges 20 years on...

His player management methods are cave man stuff..

Isn't a massive leap to understand why the O'Neill and Keane set up turned guys away.

Calling lads out when they were actually injured was a particularly bizarre period by Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

There was a lot of irony in Keane accusing someone of feigning injury for his country

The stuff Keane is willing to say on TV live ...you can only imagine how toxic it was behind the scenes..

And whilst we are talking about the failure of FAI and failure to put structures in place.

The money that the managers from Trap on walked away with ..and redundancies are an absolute scandal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

At the times they declared for England people here swore blind that neither Grealish nor Rice would see any meaningful game time with England, they would be perennial bench warmers.

And here we are, they have ben on England teams that have gone very deep in major championships and are playing for two of the biggest clubs in Europe, on massive contracts.

They would have got none of that had they stuck with Ireland.

At the time people here were giving out about agents being in their ear advising them to go to England because it would be better financially.

Well the agents were dead right.

These guys were born and brought up in England with Irish grandparents.

The majority of their life experiences would be framed with an English viewpoint, regardless of how much GAA Grealish played as a kid.

It's impossible for any of us to determine how Irish these guys considered themselves to be.

So people should just let it be, it's ironic that they were the only scores yesterday, but I don't begrudge them that or the decision they made.

And it's not as if Rice and Grealish were the difference between us making a tournament and not.

Ireland will continue to go whatever way they go with the help of people not born here or that never lived here and some with the most tenuous links to the country allowable in FIFA rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

So I would never judge a manager after 1 game, and he needs time to access and assemble his own team and style fully.

We also played the 4th best team in the world, supposedly, but they are a team of huge talent, all they need to do is play as a unit more

However it is a bit concerning that he is saying this game it not his team, and passing it off to JOS.

He has had time to review all the players and at least give his direction to his staff on what he wants to do. I mean all he has to do since being appointed is look at the ALL of Ireland's last games for 2-4 Years, and the premiership, championship games.

He didn't just arrive at the first training session to figure it all out, I assume.

I'm sure the FAI have forked up some money for skysports for him.

Anyway hopefully he takes a more lead role, and responsibility going forward with the team.

Look, absolutely sick to loose the two lads. Seem great players and characters ...

But Irish soccer fans calling out nationality swapping is a tad ridiculous.

Jack Charlton and Ireland from about 86 on , practically invented it ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A fair amount of the criticism is in regards to Declan "tiocfaidh ar la" Rice coming up through the youth system and taking a senior cap.

There is actually a good number of English players who could have played for us and get no stick.

The rules were changed regarding capped players supposedly to stop big countries like England and France capping and dumping young talent who could have played for countries struggling for numbers but it has sadly gone the opposite way too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

I think there's a very good chance Rice would still be an Irish player, if Big Sam didn't get caught on camera and sacked after one game. That was significant, as was the very easy draw England got in Russia, which lead to a drastically over rated performance at that World Cup.

Can't say I'm bothered anyway at this point. It's ancient history. I'd be more bothered if that shot of his went into the net in the final back in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Unless we can exploit the granny rule again what we saw yesterday and over the last few years will be the norm.Forget about Rice and Grealish they both made the right decision for themselves and it was within the rules so just leave them off .

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Dogsdodogsstuff

I coached my son’s team and we went to England last year for a trip. Felt like a quality astro pitch was available for kids every few Kms. Was at another one in Spain Just before the summer and it’s the kind of facilies that no Irish kids can access. I have traveled in France for holidays the last decade. You see quality pitches in even remote areas.

Up the road from where we stayed, there was a small stadium with multiple pitches and it was just a tiny local college.

There is no interest in youth development in Ireland. Not from FAI or government. Our kids are closer to kids in third world infrastructure conditions then English or other European kids.

I’m sick of the lack of interest and hiding behind FAI incompetence. Anti social behaviour happens for numerous reasons, one being children are not being offered some positive outlets. Probably rains over half the year and in many cases have the games at lower age levels are regularly cancelled because pitches are unplayable.

So Ireland is probably fighting above our weight and should nestle probably 4th seeding based on the actual infrastructure and work that is being done relative to the far better nations. You can always be lucky or have a bunch of players mature around a similar time , but we will revert to where we are. Late 80s to early 00s were an outlier for us and unless there’s proper joined up thinking it’s where we will stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

im not gaa bashing my son plays gaa and loves it alomost as much

but even in my area his gaa club had 2 pitchs and have in the last 2 years purchased land and developed a futher 2 with plans for astro pitch and new club house etc the neighbouring gaa club have 4 pitchs and have in the last 2/3 years built an indoor complex with a full gym

My sons soccer team have 1 good pitch and a poor training pitch

they needed extra dressing room space and had to go down second hand modular structure route

The vast majority of players in the soccer club would play gaa for the above two clubs so you can see where all the money is been pumped even just in my one local area and im sure its not alone

Not saying this is the only problem but when it comes to infastructure funds its part of it o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

In truth Ireland has never been a soccer country, apart from a few hubs GAA is where Irish love for sport is focused on. That's both a good and bad thing but I've never really considered Ireland as actually being that passionate about soccer, watching Liverpool or Man united really isn't the same as what you see in most other European countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭MFPM

Soccer has more participation than any other sport in the country. When the soccer team has done well and qualified for tournaments it tends to hold the attention of the country beyond any other sport too, so I'm not sure your point stacks up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

A lot of over reaction in here about the underage development . Scotland had 5 at premier league clubs the other night including mctominay and gilmour who just left, northern Ireland had 1 at a pl club and Wales had 5 . We had 8 yesterday with a other 5 on the bench all at pl clubs. Our underage development is actually quiet good, hopefully This manager can get them to gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Dogsdodogsstuff

I played Gaelic growing up. There’s strong club community’s to be fair, but I’ve never seen kids just have a GAA kick or puck around on greens. Wherever I have lived, you can always find some kids having a soccer kick about on the road or in greens. That tells you something. I was pushed into Gaelic (but learned to love it) but naturally leaned to soccer.

Look at the premier Irish soccer teams stadiums. They are not great but not anywhere near a reflection of the amount of kids/adults who love to play soccer. There’s loads of passion and community spirit at these clubs but practically zero support from government so it’s very hard for them to grow.

The cynic in me thinks GAA and politics go nicely hand in hand and I’ve seen it up the road from me. The local GAA club just got some nice sweet Govt cash to build an all weather and buy some more land. Culturally aswell, I understand why we want to promote our national sport more.

But there are 3 soccer clubs within about 4kms of each other. One of them has an Astro pitch but for all 3, games are regularly called off due to rain. Children want to play it but the country doesn’t provide a decent infrastructure for it.

There is a growing problem of anti social Behavior, kids have nothing to do really and nowhere to go. Soccer is a great equaliser, particularly with the influx of foreign families.

GAA has no competition abroad, the best of this sport is here in Ireland. Soccer has quality alternatives in England that makes it hard for Irish teams to compete. I’ve met plenty of passionate fans, but Ireland doesn’t have quality professional soccer clubs , so many fans adopt an English one.

I’d argue that soccer would be far more popular and supported if there was more supports and infrastructure in place. For numerous reasons, Irish kids are discouraged from playing it by the third world infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

What we need is investment in the LOI and a few top teams with outstanding youth facilities that reliably qualify for Europe every season and can actually compete at that level, that's really the difference between ourselves and other countries of our size.

If you look at the top international players for Georgia almost all of them passed through Dinamo Tbilisi or Dinamo Batumi at some stage, they're doing something very right with player development there and selling players on once they're ready to make an impact in bigger leagues.

Unfortunately the FAI are broke and it's difficult to see why any private investor would pump money into the LOI when even the locals would rather follow a foreign league than support their local club. Government investment is the only realistic solution but I feel soccer demographics doesn't really align with the FF/FG voterbase so they'd rather spend on rugby and GAA.

It's hard to see where the improvement will come from, I think the situation could even get worse and we could become actual minnows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The person I replied to said Roy Keane bullied Rice. what you said has nothing to do with Keane bullying Rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

That is hearsay, you don't know it happened unless you were there.

I seriously doubt Keane told one of our best prospects that he wasn't Irish.

Mod edit: post this was replying has been deleted

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Anyone know if the match programme price yesterday was a once off? I always get one for the young lad, but a tenner is fcuking extortion. It was a fiver 2 years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

But the question is and shojl5be, who in their right mind would invest their money in soccer in Ireland, especially at LOI level. It seems annually another club is in crisis, this them it's Dundalk over 1.5 million racked up in debt. This is a few years after then being the top team in the country, with relatively big money coming in from European TV, and now it's all pi55ed away, a ramshackle Oriel park and on the verge of bankruptcy, no doubt leaving several people and businesses locally who were foolish enough to loan them money out of pocket... and it's a quite acceptable and routine business model among LOI clubs it seems.

It's ok saying soccer should have more government funded money, but time and time again as a sport it has been proven to be unable to do anything else but waste it. This isn't the case with Rugby or GAA whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Reads like something you'd see on Waterford Whispers

Mod edit: post this was replying to was deleted

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Advertisement
Advertisement