Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French man accused of drugging his wife and inviting men to rape her

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭volchitsa

it’s my fault because I’m a man

I'm sure you'll be able to post up a post where I said this?

You wouldn't just be making sh1t up, would you?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

That's a good point, and just as men often have an insight into other men with questionable behaviours, so often do women see how men can behave with vulnerable women in private but put on an upstanding gentleman facade to other men. I struggle to believe that neither Joseph Fritzl's wife nor his friend who he frequently went to Thailand with didn't know he was an evil man.

The men who participated in this have been described as normal men, most in employment and some married or in relationships. This doesn't mean that people in their social circles necessarily felt the same way. I've known absolute creeps who are married or in relationships. Being a creep isn't illegal so it's not something anyone can act on, and it doesn't mean they would engage in criminal behaviour anyway. It's people like Wayne Couzens, who can brazenly bring prostitutes to work gatherings, and have fellow police officers turn a blind eye that I struggle with. He should have been booted out of the force for that as he could never be trusted to do the right thing regarding protecting women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not to mention the 30 who knew about the rapes but didn't bother reporting it, which is itself against the law in France

Why do you keep repeating this gobbledygook.

83 suspects. 72 rapists. 72 from 83 is not 30.

Ah yes prioritize the “mental health” of victim A while nothing gets done by anyone else to prevent Victims B through Z. Brave stance there. Slow clap.

Im sure you have some evidence to suggest police haven’t bothered to look for the others 🙄 some of the accused who have been charged are geriatric, are you sure those who haven’t been charged are even all still alive to have their names dragged through the papers? The dead aren’t put on trial. For that matter where do you get your assumed figure of 98% from? And even were that figure true your attitude on display only works in practice to make such a figure 100% with defeatist shyte

The other poster wasn’t guilt tripping stop deflecting because you can’t handle criticism dear the only one guilt tripping here is you, guilt tripping men everywhere the world over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Raichų

yes it’s called a criminal trial and the defence quite often will try to put a witness in an uncomfortable position and ask questions to ascertain truth.

I was a victim of a road traffic collision namely I got knocked off an escooter at a roundabout. When in court the defence solicitor argued to me it was my own fault and negligence that caused me to be struck. It was quite shocking for me at the time to be met with that attitude but at the same time your mans solicitor was hardly going to try and have him prosecuted now was he?

You’re a funny one to be honest, you expect men to sort it out, will do nothing yourself only hinder justice being sought and love to say it’s “all your fault”.

The arrogance of you to stand there and tell me you don’t have to help a victim seek assistance because you’re not a rape charity? Fcuk yourself OP to be honest. How dare you pretend to care when you wouldn’t lift a finger to help someone.

You want to accuse me of victim blaming but what have you done to help victims? Nothing. You continue to do nothing here more than accuse us all of being responsible while simultaneously trying to absolve yourself of any responsibility because “I don’t rape people”, well guess what, I don’t fcuking rape people either.

I’m not going to tell you what you’ve said. Go and read your own OP. I’m not hand holding you and underlining where you’ve attempted or outright blamed men as being culpable in any or all sexual violence towards women. You’ve expressed that sentiment throughout this thread both directly and indirectly so please don’t act stupid.

• Advertisement

law changes being talked about being pushed look to make this easier for the victims in the EU/France, esp. in regards to consent and withdrawing consent.

Yes, agree with all of that. One thing I do wonder though, "being a creep isn't illegal" - absolutely, but maybe if men weren't apparently so often perfectly happy to ignore their friends' legal-but-creepy behaviour in minor ways, there would be less of feeling of impunity among all men to treat women badly.

It's a bit like banning the slapping of children: yes of course lots of parents who slapped their children in the past weren't abusers, but it's about making certain behaviours socially unacceptable long before they get to the point where a minority go over the line into physical abuse. It also removes the abusers' excuse of "I was only…"

For example Alan Hawe (and other abusers) being seen as a great man by all his friends - in some cases even AFTER he had murdered his family. How is that possible?

(But no doubt the usual woman-haters will ignore this in favour of personal abuse. Because the reality is, there are a number of male posters on here who just want this thread shut down. The last thing they want is any discussion of the issues. That's on them, but it's worth pointing out.)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

(But no doubt the usual woman-haters will ignore this in favour of personal abuse. Because the reality is, there are a number of male posters on here who just want this thread shut down. The last thing they want is any discussion of the issues. That's on them, but it's worth pointing out.)

Are these imaginary people, “woman-haters,” are they in the room with us right now? Get a grip. Your misandry is on full ass display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It’s jaw dropping that someone who thinks the crimes of some freaks in France are reflective of men in general and that no men can be trusted would then have the audacity to call anyone else haters of any gender.

the sheer rage is terrifying and casting aspersions on others is hypocrisy on a biblical scale

So much sea-lioning in this that I'm not going to reply to it all, but as for the rape statistics, it's well-known - and if your ignorance is really on this basic level you really should consider sitting down and shutting up. Maybe even consider learning from those who do have a clue.

In the year to September 2021, just 1.3% of rape cases recorded by police resulted in a suspect being charged (or receiving a summons). This compares to a 7.1% charge rate for all other recorded crimes in the same period.

That's 1.3% of recorded cases even leading to a charge, not to a conviction.
    It's currently UNDER 1% for a conviction, and still falling. Previously it used to be around 1-2%

Yet you think that telling a woman who may be almost suicidal already that if she doesn't take those odds, and go to the police, and potentially put herself through a court case, it will be her fault if another woman is raped because it's the lack of women reporting rape cases that "emboldens rapists" is NOT victim blaiming?

Really?

• Advertisement

you really should consider sitting down and shutting up

Why is it always furious projection from you. First you cry it’s the “women-haters” shutting down the thread then there you are shrieking through the keyboard to shut down people who challenge your misandrist world view.

there’s no sealioning in my post. You just don’t want to admit you’re utterly wrong about 30 of the men not raping her. The number is 11 and you got it twisted up.

England isn’t the world. In the US the clearance rate for rape is 26%.

some numbers around the EU:

Cultural differences will affect the clearance rate in a jurisdiction too, Sweden for instance it is apparently very common for people to not have the same do nothing attitude as you display, they report it when it happens:

You’re being a chancer chancing both arms and legs to make it out Englands stats are true the world over.

https://www.hoplofobia.info/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/2020-Reported-and-cleared-rapes-in-Europe.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭aero2k

On one hand they say it's only the fault of the rapists, on the other it's the fault of the victims for not participating in a system stacked against them. Which is it?

No I already explained this to you. Pélicot has admitted his crimes against his wife and is cooperating with the police. As part of that, he has fully described his methods and how it all worked. One of the things he explained was his estimation that 3 in every 10 who initially contacted him dropped out when they learned the detail of his actions.

We don't know yet why they dropped out - it may come out during his testimony. It coudl be because they didn't want to/didn't quite dare actually rape an unconscious woman, or it could be because they didn't see the interest in raping a 60-70 year old woman, but might have been up for it had she been 30 or 35.

You know this because I gave you a tweet from a journalist covering the court case, and you've decided that you don't want to believe it. Which is of course entirely your right. You can even accuse her, as some of the defendants have done, of simulating being unconscious. But don't pretend that you think it's my misunderstanding of your calculations.

You're just giving me the confirmation that you got it wrong even if you can't see the wood for the trees there.

Despite what a rapist sex ringleader has tried to tell authorities, her own daughter placed the number for us all at 72 rapists. The suspect list police have is 83, they have that from the trove of irrefutable evidence he kept, thousands of photos, videos, texts, etc.

That puts the number at 11 who are suspects but didn't rape her. And one of those men is charged raping his own wife. So that leaves at most, 10 men who meet the talking point.

The only way the thread got to 30 was from users tripping over your bollocks from the perp in the OP, first going on that "30%" didn't rape her, then alliterating that number to simply be "30 men." Somewhere in there you even claimed "over a hundred" raped her - in direct contradiction to the daughter, who I think would know far better than you about all of this.

https://www.news18.com/world/my-father-let-72-men-rape-my-mother-daughter-of-frenchman-reveals-he-kept-her-pictures-in-underwear-9039595.html

LOL you really are digging those holes again aren't you?

What have Swedish and Danish data to do with any of this? I gave you English data because you obviously don't speak French, and because it's relevant to people on here. Swedish law is very different because there's an onus on the accused to prove consent, which French law, like UK law, doesn't have. I don't know about Germany, Denmark or Norway, but I'm sure you'll be able to tell us whether it's the same? I mean, you wouldn't have just gone looking for data that suited your point without knowing whether it was comparable, now would you? 😁

Here's some French data though if you like (I presume you'll admit that French stats are relevant to this case?)

En dix ans, le nombre de condamnation pour viol n’a cessé de diminuer, comme celui pour agressions sexuelles. 80 % des plaintes sont classées sans suite. 

"In 10 years, the number of convictions for rapes has fallen constantly, as it has also for sexual assaults. 80% of complaints are dismissed without going to court."

That's not a direct comparison with the UK data because I'm not spending time looking for stuff you're going to ignore anyway, with your constantly sealioning, but for anyone who's interested, that's only 20% that even go to court, and of those, I haven't found how many result in a conviction, but the answer is clearly nowhere near "all of those". It's not like the US judicial system where everyone plea-bargains because they're most likely going to be found guilty anyway. So if the total conviction rate reaches 5% of the reported cases, I'd be amazed. it's far more likely to be close to the UK's 1 or 2% as I described earlier.

What have Swedish and Danish data to do with any of this?

Exactly my point. Yet you bring up England's data like it has anything to do with this. Well done. You got there. We've established your claim that 98% of rapes go unpunished is unproven bollocks.

Your link doesn't say anything about the clearance rate, it is just a story about an increased rate of reports published in 2022. Keep digging!

It's not like the US judicial system where everyone plea-bargains because they're going to be found guilty anyway. 

Interesting… so there is reason for women to report after all. Fascinating, yet you claim there's no point and you'd be advising them what is the use - you, your attitude is part of the problem.

Yes, that's the calculation, with just one difference: 72 suspects, but only 50 in court, because 22 either couldn't be identified or have since died. So the second part of your post may be overestimating the numbers, it there may not be another 8 or 9 unknown who didn't follow through.

I say may because Pélicot has said he advertised on a number of social media sites, so we don't know how many other men also saw his ads, and we also don't know if all the videos over 10 years have all been kept. It wouldn't be surprising if some had been lost - that happens.

So at the very least about 30.

Your math is completely out of whack, at this point it's almost like you're doing it on purpose to sealion.

It's 83 suspects

Over the course of their investigation, the police found more than 20,000 videos and photographs, many of them dated and labeled, in an electronic folder titled “abuse.” The timeline they built began in 2011. The list of suspects grew to 83.

It's 72 rapists

https://www.news18.com/world/my-father-let-72-men-rape-my-mother-daughter-of-frenchman-reveals-he-kept-her-pictures-in-underwear-9039595.html

1 of the suspects didn't rape her.

Only one of the men is not charged with rape, assault or attempted rape of Mr. Pelicot’s wife. Instead, that man is accused of following the same model, and drugging his own wife to rape her. Mr. Pelicot is also charged with raping the man’s wife while she was drugged.

That leaves your asspull "very least about 30" number to be precisely 10.

I know it's hard for you to admit you're wrong here, but math is math.

These are the Irish stats

From 2012 to 2022, there has been an average of 25 female rape victims per 100,000 women in Ireland per year – the sixth highest in Europe.

This equates to 6,683 women in Ireland reporting that they were raped to the gardaí during that period. Reports have risen from over 400 a decade ago to over 800 in recent years. In 2022, 869 women were recorded as victims of rape.

They referred to last year’s Sexual Violence Survey by the Central Statistics Office (CSO) which found that “only 5% of those that experience sexual violence as an adult have reported it to the police”. This was 12% of those who experienced this crime as a child.

What you failed to point out in your stat link is the definitions of "clearing" and the parameters set out in each country.

Researchers on the investigative team say the “extremely high number” of rape victims in Sweden can be explained by recent changes to the country’s definition of rape, where non-consensual sexual contact, such as acts committed against someone in “a state of fear or unconsciousness”, are now included.

so now again you are detailing problems but offering nothing in the way of a solution.

What is YOUR proposed solution to all of this?

• Advertisement

What you failed to point out in your stat link is the definitions of "clearing" and the parameters set out in each country.

The definition of clearance rate is a common knowledge definition but for those who may not know, it is the number of crimes leading to resolutions such as arrest vs. the number of those crimes reported.

I didn't fail to point that out 'in the link' it's in the link (I'm not the author of what's in the link either)

https://www.hoplofobia.info/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/2020-Reported-and-cleared-rapes-in-Europe.pdf

According to the statistics presented by the EU, Sweden has longhad the highest number of reported rapes per capita in Europe.According to the available statistics, the percentage of rapescleared in Sweden is also low compared with other Europeancountries. In many different contexts, the government, theMinistry for Foreign Affairs and Brå are questioned about theunderlying causes. In the light of this, Brå has conducted a studywhich aims to compile a better basis for answering suchquestions.

It addresses your nitpick, and you can see in the graph I provided the 'standardized' stat offered for Sweden:

To obtain a more detailed picture of the possible significance ofthese differences, we have compared Germany and Sweden. Indoing so, Brå has recalculated Sweden’s statistics using the samelegal conditions and statistical methods as in Germany. Thecalculation shows that much of the differences in reports percapita disappear if the statistics are made more comparable.

I hope that addresses your concern. Reading the graph provided one would have easily noted the bar on the chart that says 'Sweden | standardized' and if you had more questions about that, it's what the link to the source was to do. No need to google up links to Ireland, just click through to the link provided. My entire point what I mentioned, was the Sweden does have differing cultural propensities or however it wishes to be phrased, to be more proactive about policing rape instead of just telling a woman eg. there's no use, they'll just get away with it, etc. like the OP is, which helps no one and isn't a solution.

from your own report

The manner in which cleared-up crimes are calculated differs The countries differ greatly in terms of what is counted as a cleared-up crime. They also differ in terms of which rapereports the cleared-up crimes are to be divided by to calculatethe clear-up rate, and what time the statistics are prepared.To obtain a fairer picture, Brå has recalculated the countries’statistics on cleared-up rapes so that they are based on asequivalent principles as possible. In the recalculated figures, acleared-up crime is defined as a person being convicted of the13reported crime in a court of law. The influx of crimes is basedon the number of complainants who during a particular year have reported a rape which has been investigated by the police and where suspicion remains after the investigation.Figure 3 presents the average clear-up rate for rape during the period 2013–2017 using two different measurement methods.

It doesn't clear up anything at all. I've provided the Irish stats for you, maybe it would be in your best interest to study those instead of copying and pasting walls of irrelevant text.

Irrelevant text is what you have thrown up from the Irish reporting.

What still isn't clear to you? What does this paragraph say which you think is a gotcha to what I have said? Take your time, study what I said instead of jumping to a kneejerk reply.

I think you're just deliberately being obtuse so as not to actually have to address the issue. I'll post it for you again.

I even made it easy to read by highlighting the relevant information.

“only 5% of those that experience sexual violence as an adult have reported it to the police”.

Kneejerk reaction again, and avoiding my question, I'll assume you don't even know what you are trying to argue against now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭aero2k

Oh dear, there are none so blind as those who will not see. Volchitsa explained the 3 out of 10 thing, that I can only conclude you have deliberately chosen to ignore.

Oh I can assure you I do.

The propensity to report to the police most likely varies between countries Several different factors are considered to be able to affect the propensity to report a rape to the police. Two of these factors,which according to research are of importance to the propensity to report, are the prevalence of rape myths and public confidence in the criminal justice system.

from your own report

• Advertisement

Are you? Is that it? That's a paragraph from the report, what about it? What argument are you trying to infer from it? Are you at a loss for words?

• Administrators Posts: 14,472 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

@Babyreignbow and @Overheal is this a competition for who can post most without actually saying anything? Contribute to the discussion or don't post.

Consider this your 0 point nudge to get back to discussing the topic. Next time will be 1 point + 1 day ban.

The fact is that only 5% of adults who experience sexual violence report it, primarily due to the prevalence of rape myths and lack of confidence in the criminal justice system. The clearance and conviction rates of Sweden are disproportional representation of statistics, skewed in favour of an argument you are making to score points.

Like, I know you haven't read more than a paragraph of a 95 page pdf you grabbed on a quick search to support your argument but regard Irish stat as obfuscation.

I'd suggest that a rape trial where the victim is destroyed and the rapist walks away is what really emboldens future rapists, far more than the rapes where the woman doesn't even go to the police in the first place.

This is true, this was the point Volchista was making. I know it's difficult to actually hear the argument over the noise of man hater accusations but to get back to the actual substance of the thread.

Exactly my point. Yet you bring up England's data like it has anything to do with this. Well done. You got there. We've established your claim that 98% of rapes go unpunished is unproven bollocks.

The facts are that only a tiny percentage of rapes are even reported, so it wouldn't be far off the mark to say that 98% of rapes go unpunished.

That's not any sort of gotcha, I don't claim to have read the whole 95 pages and since you haven't either that's a nice glass house, kettle. All I sought to disprove is that England's clearance rate was indicitave of everywhere, citing both examples from the EU and from the US. The fact that eg. Sweden is an outlier is exactly my point: Sweden has less issues with public confidence in criminal justice and less issues with rape myths. It isn't a "point scoring" exercise we're discussing rape not football FFS. If this is a point scoring exercise for you please leave me alone, if you're here to actually discuss the issues though in a solution-driven manner, great, let's go.

My point being that the defeatist attitudes that oh, 98% walk away, what can you do, don't play the quote, "lottery" is proliferating myths and instilling lack of confidence in criminal justice and would only serve to ensure in the future more rapes go unpunished. I would have thought that was entirely clear. Only 5% of victims reporting crime is very clearly a problem, I don't think you'll find any disagreement except maybe from types like the OP who, speaking of prevalent myths, liken reporting it to increasing the victim's risk of suicide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Regarding the not being a creep thing. Someone on this thread mentioned bring back kink shaming and the push in the modern world to equate liberated sexual practices as progressive and sex positive and the difficulty in pushing back against this without being labelled a prude or even discriminatory if it involved a special interest group. Obviously not all people interested in kinky sex are interested in illegal or non-consensual activity, but I would bet it's higher the general population.

Graham Dwyer was involved in the BDSM scene and former partners professed to feeling he was going to far. Anytime I've heard advocates of BDSM speak about they always emphasise how safe and consensual it is. I wonder how difficult it is to go against that consensus if you feel it will 'harm' the public perception of your sexual interest.

There are also a lot of vile crimes were the perpetrators had a history of outré sexual behaviour. Aimee Challenor, the Scottish green party activist has a partner who openly tweeted fantasising about sex with children. Their father was later arrested for repeatedly raping and torturing a ten year old girl in a specially constructed room for that purpose. Aimee had their father working for them even after the arrest, thus not exhibiting much concern with this. Sam Brinton the employee of the US department of energy who was convicted of stealing women's luggage from airports and wearing their clothes was an outspoke advocate of BDSM and puppy play. I'm finding it hard to think of specific cases off hand but repeat serial sex offenders often have a documented history of what is regarded as low level sexual assault such as flashing.

Even the husband involved in this case apparently once asked his wife to engage in wife swapping and she apparently didn't see this as a red flag.

I do wonder if exposure to sadistic porn and vile online images is opening up a horrific world to people who may not engage in real life if they didn't happen to be exposed to like minded individuals and videos and images of abuse,

• Advertisement

I don't know what to say to you, I really feel I have made myself clear and you are either refusing to acknowledge the points I am making or are unable to respond adequately, in which case I bow out.

on your last point there’s definitely research to suggest online porn (and the way women are portrayed/treated therein) has given more young men than generations previously a warped perception of how sex and women actually work.

It makes perfect sense also. Porn generally treats the women involved as merely an object to be used at will.

Even the husband involved in this case apparently once asked his wife to engage in wife swapping and she apparently didn't see this as a red flag.

There's a lot in this case. Some of the reporting even mentions that, at one point, she almost stumbled on the revelation, and teased her husband about whether he was drugging her while wondering about the symptoms she was having. He gaslit the hell out of her, broke down and tears and said how can you accuse me of doing that etc.

“I didn’t understand why I had these moments like this,” Gisèle recalled, per The Telegraph.

She said she jokingly asked Dominique at the time whether he was drugging her, but he “broke down in tears,” the outlet stated. 

The retired electricity worker, who accompanied his wife of almost 50 years to the doctor's appointment, reportedly told her, “You actually think I could do that?” the paper added.

https://people.com/wife-allegedly-drugged-by-husband-raped-dozens-men-convinced-heap-ruins-court-8706774

20 years will be too good for him. And it is maddening that one of the red flags was right there behind a thin veil of crocodile tears.

But I didn't say anything about the US or Sweden. Certainly in Sweden it might be more worthwhile reporting rapes, since the law is different. But in the UK, Ireland and France, it's a lottery, and one that works against the victim. So blaming the victim as the poster did is pretty disgusting. But hey, you go on with your agenda of personal abuse of me. That really shows how much you care about rape victims.

As for the US, I'd expect that the risk of something like what was done to Marie Adler like make any wolman hesitate before reporting a rape there.

18-year-old Marie Adler (Kaitlyn Dever) is raped at knifepoint by a masked man who breaks into her apartment. She immediately reports the attack to local police in her Washington town, but they seize on minor inconsistencies when she's forced to tell the story repeatedly to various officers. The police ultimately accuse Marie of making up the rape, and she's so traumatized and intimidated by the process, she falsely admits to fabricating the story. Marie's life gradually falls apart over the subsequent weeks; she loses friends, her job, and her housing. To top off the nightmare, she's charged with a misdemeanor for false reporting.

Sooo - really? You think it's reasonable to tell a woman who's been raped that if she doesn't report it, she's enabling rapists? Is that really what a mother or sister or close friend of a rape victim should do? Or should she go very, very carefully before telling her friend, daughter or sister what to do at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

in which case I bow out.

I hope you don’t, because that allows for the discussion then to be dominated by a false narrative of putting the responsibility for men who commit rape, back on women and girls to prevent themselves from being raped by men, when it should be about preventing men from committing rape.

Separately, and possibly even though they may not realise it, Raichu and volchista are actually saying the same thing in different ways (apologies but the @, never seems to work for me so I can’t refer to posters directly), but they’re both making the same point about the absolute brutality of our adversarial Courts system. Just like all the “preventative advice” (ultimately utterly useless) given to women and girls to prevent themselves from being raped by men - nothing sufficiently prepares witnesses appearing for the prosecution to give evidence at trial. They can’t be prepared for the assault on their character by the defendants legal counsel, which leads to outcomes like this, and the public backlash which ensued, which led to new rules being introduced about how cases are to be reported on:

https://archive.ph/aVAuQ

It’s why people before they ever are victims, are looking at the Criminal Justice system and the Courts, and developing the impression of their own volition, that victims of rape are not seeing justice done, leading to people simply having no confidence in the legal process. This misunderstanding isn’t helped by the dismal charge and conviction rates, the lenient sentencing reported in the media upon conviction, and the overall impression that the odds are simply too great to even consider pursuing a complaint against the man or men who raped them. Women and girls perceive the judicial process to be entirely detached from the reality of their participation in public life in that it’s not set up to help them, it hinders them, and so they remain silent, or bow out.

Raichu and volchista also have a point about the various charities and organisations involved, in that the responsibility of preparing witnesses to give evidence at trial is often ill-considered, in many cases giving victims false hope of seeing justice done. There was one case in particular where the victim was so ill-prepared that she was operating under the impression that the Irish system operates in the same manner as her home country, only to find out upon the defendant being convicted of rape, that it does not. I can’t find the exact case now but the gist of it was that it was a criminal trial, as opposed to a civil case where compensation can be awarded against a defendant:

https://archive.ph/tzxMN

The Judge in the former case was critical of the fact that nobody had thought to explain the process to the victim in a way that she clearly understood the process, which lack of understanding led to her being unable to understand what had just occurred.

• Advertisement

Yes I think there are several good points there: violent porn is definitely an issue, but then violent porn is also linked to the "no shame", "sex positive" approaches that are being pushed by so-called "progressive" opinion-makers.

There's also the mere existence of the internet (and I know we're not going to close that down!) - but it's a fact that those chatrooms allowed the men to develop their perversions and to coordinate their actions.

But I still think that basically if there was more of a culture of shame about sexual perversions, it would be less frequent, and less frequently acted on. The problem is that paraphilias are (I'm told!) never-ending: the more someone feeds their paraphilia, the more it needs feeding. That's why the claim that access to porn leads to a lower rate of sexual offending is not borne out by the data. The more porn a man accesses, the less satisfied he is likely to be by it, and he will end up needing to go further and further in to more extreme porn, and/or acting it out IRL.

So, it's not going to be the only solution, but I think all anonymous access to porn needs to be stopped. Urgently.

I wonder how many men would agree to that though.

As a subsequent step, maybe anonymous access to the internet in general needs to be limited in some way. Not perhaps posting one's real name (although I remember that that was commonplace initially) but perhaps that one's real identity needs to be available somewhere for instances where crimes are suspected.

There is nothing in my post personally abusing you, and if you think that report the posts. If anything I said is of the standard of personal abuse to you, you would have a lot of things to explain to how you have spoken to and about me in this thread.

You continue proliferating this argument that victims shouldn't come forward and report rapes and that's not a solution at all. You said you were looking for solutions?

Sooo - really? You think it's reasonable to tell a woman who's been raped that if she doesn't report it, she's enabling rapists? Is that really what a mother or sister or close friend of a rape victim should do? Or shoud she go very, very carefully before telling her friend, daughter or sister what to do at all?

If anything like that I'm saying that people who would tell victims to not report are the ones ultimately enabling rapists, encouraging non-report is encouraging the environment in which they can commit crimes again. Please don't tell victims of rape not to report it, it's sickening. It's also not a solution. Nor would it have done anything for the next woman you've just pulled up here as a new deflection from the main story of the thread, but if you want to meander a second, let's meander, this is the pulitzer prize-winning story about her case:

https://www.propublica.org/article/false-rape-accusations-an-unbelievable-story

It's published with The Marshall Project, a nonprofit that doesn't just throw its hands up and say ah what can we do, their mission objective is to instill the needed urgency about problems with criminal justice.

It's interesting you bring up this woman as an example of why a woman shouldn't report, yet read her response to that attitude at the end please,

Two and a half years after Marie was branded a liar, Lynnwood police found her, south of Seattle, and told her the news: Her rapist had been arrested in Colorado. They gave her an envelope with information on counseling for rape victims. They said her record would be expunged. And they handed her $500, a refund of her court costs. Marie broke down, experiencing, all at once, shock, relief and anger.

Afterward, Shannon took Marie for a walk in the woods, and told her, “I’m so sorry I doubted you.” Marie forgave, immediately. Peggy, too, apologized. She now wishes she had never shared her doubts with police. “Because I feel that if I would have shut my mouth, they would have done their job,” she says.

Marie sued the city and settled for $150,000. “A risk management decision was made,” a lawyer for Lynnwood told The Herald in Everett, Washington.

Marie left the state, got a commercial driver’s license and took a job as a long-haul trucker. She married, and in October she and her husband had their second child. She asked that her current location not be disclosed.

Before leaving Washington to restart her life, Marie made an appointment to visit the Lynnwood police station. She went to a conference room and waited. Rittgarn had already left the department, but Mason came in, looking “like a lost little puppy,” Marie says. “He was rubbing his head and literally looked like he was ashamed about what they had done.” He told Marie he was sorry — “deeply sorry,” Marie says. To Marie, he seemed sincere.

Recently, Marie was asked if she had considered not reporting the rape.

“No,” she said. She wanted to be honest. She wanted to remember everything she could. She wanted to help the police.

“So nobody else would get hurt,” she said. “They’d be out there searching for this person who had done this to me.”

Even the woman you're trying to bring up to make your point against reporting, she is saying, if she doesn't report it, someone else would get hurt.

What Marie Adler went through was horrifying but she pushed on and exposed it, resulting in not just the criminal prosecution of her rapist, but in destroying **** attitudes that prevailed in that police department because of rape myths, and inspiring WA to update its rape laws. Her experience resulted in a $150k lawsuit and an outside review of the PD which concluded she was coerced into a false confession. The PD addressed this matter again after the Netflix docuseries. Months after this pulitzer reporting in Dec 2015, Washington enacted HB2530 enacting a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners program and a statewide rape kit and tracking system. "Washington has adopted all six pillars of rape kit reform and has cleared its backlog."

https://www.endthebacklog.org/state/washington/

Heads also rolled at the department, the police chief addressing the docuseries is not the same police chief who ordered the outside investigation. He was hired on in 2016.

Upon learning about the circumstances surrounding this investigation in 2011, the former police chief immediately requested an independent outside review of this investigation, as well as a review of the policies and procedures associated with how the department investigated sexual assault complaints. Coincidentally, in 2011, I was part of the leadership team of the outside agency contacted to assist the department. I approved the request and designated the supervisor who conducted this important review for the department. 

It is my understanding that the department took the results of this outside review very seriously and, in fact, implemented multiple changes in 2011 as a result of the lessons learned from the 2008 case. This included employing a victim-centered investigative philosophy and providing additional training in sexual assault investigations for detectives and patrol staff. Portions of these trainings were instructed by victim advocates who work directly in support of victims of sexual assault. 

Additionally, the department currently employs a full-time crime victim coordinator to work directly with all crime victims, including victims of sexual assault. I am proud of the regionally recognized work performed by our crime victim coordinator and our strong emphasis on victim support. 

I was hired as Lynnwood’s police chief in 2016. Although I was not an employee of this department in 2008 or 2011, I am no less distressed by the decisions and circumstances from 11 years ago that undoubtedly caused additional harm to the victim. This was not acceptable then and it would not be acceptable today. 

What I can tell you with certainty is that when I arrived here three years ago, with the vision and support of our current mayor, I and my leadership team began moving the department through measurable cultural change. 

Therefore yes, I think it is perfectly reasonable to tell victims of crimes to report crimes so nobody else gets hurt. Nothing changes if nothing is reported.

a false narrative of putting the responsibility for men who commit rape, back on women and girls to prevent themselves from being raped by men, when it should be about preventing men from committing rape.

The false narrative in this line ^ is that there is an either/or: preventing future rapes implies comprehensive strategies for doing so, which will invariably include reporting rapists (men or women rapists) who commit rape, so they are prevented from becoming repeat offenders. No one has suggested the responsibility lies with victims (men, women, boys, or girls) to prevent themselves from being raped by rapists (men or women). To the contrary the suggestion is that victims whom have already been victimized, report the crime so that the next victim doesn't happen, so that next victim doesn't bear a responsibility to "prevent themselves from being raped," so the rapist can be caught before it happens again. Regarding preventing a would-be first time offender from victimizing someone: no, nobody here I can see has suggested that the responsibility lies with their future or imminent victim.

You're lying again. Here's what I said:

Personally I would not advise any woman who has been raped to go to the police. I probably wouldn't advise her not to either, but I certainly would NOT do a guilt trip of the "don’t let the perpetrator get away with it as that further emboldens them" style that you suggest. 

Maybe you can point out where I said I would tell someone NOT to report a rape? Here's the original post in case you're tempted to make up more lies:

If you can't find what you're pretending I said in that post, you're welcome to look at any other post from me and use that instead. If you can find one where I've ever said that. 🙄

Or you could just stop lying.

I would suggest just ban porn full stop but that’s perhaps a small bit authoritarian.

I think having serious restrictions and urgently are necessary. Such as age verification procedures. It’s harder to buy 20 fags or a vape than it is for a young lad to watch horrific movies of women being subjected to what is effectively sexual assault.

Education in schools about the adverse affects on the brain and body and exactly how women in porn are treated. I would bet my life 9/10 people don’t realise porn actresses are generally dependent or outright addicted to pain killers and other drugs because the toll on their bodies is that significant.

I personally do not watch porn anymore full stop and haven’t for about a year and a half. The negative impacts it had on me both mentally and emotionally in regards to relationships etc was staggering and only realised after putting a stop to it.

I know my partner became very frustrated by my expectations of our “activities” that were based solely on what I’d seen but without proper understanding that it’s not real. I think that’s the problem in a nutshell though, if you seen some fella doing 50 backflips in a row in a film you wouldn’t feel bad about yourself for not being able to it, because they didn’t either.

But you’ve men who think a woman not being capable of swallowing an entire cucumber without gagging are broken somehow. It’s fcuked up completely.

I wonder in some part if rapes and sexual assaults are perpetrated borne of a frustration that real life isn’t like porn and if they can’t have it consensually they’ll just force the subject.

Of course cases such as this would suggest a dependency on certain genres of pornography that centred around rape or harm towards women that invariably resulted in acting out what they saw.

Eventually just pulling the lad off yourself watching a woman “be raped” isn’t good enough. They take it further. It’s what happens but for some reason it’s never discussed.

I imagine because porn is a topic no one wants to bring up. Not good enough.

But I didn't say it was indicative of everywhere, so that's another straw man from you.

It's indicative of the place where many of us are living, and whose laws are often used as a basis for laws in Ireland for most of the rest of posters. It's also likely not that different from France, which is the subject of the thread. It's very different from Scandinavian countries, where sex assault laws are generally much more in favour of the victim than the UK, Ireland or France.

Now if you'd wanted to make a suggestion that maybe we shoudl bring in sex assault laws closer to those of Scandinavian countries, you might have been worth taking seriously. Instead you're playing some weird game of trying to win points and deflect from the actual subject.

I'm done with you here unless you start acting in good faith.

But yeah, it's my fault for saying that I would prioritise a rape victim's mental health over the lottery where 98% of rapists just walk way in the end anyway, leaving her to try to pick up the pieces of being re victimised a second time by the process.

The solution to that is not to report more and more with the same pathetic rate of convictions.

But hey, it's my fault for not telling a girl or a woman to put herself through all that, almost certainly for nothing.

Okaaay.

I'm not lying. These are your words. Even going as far as suggest that encouraging her to report would be akin to guilt-tripping.

Message received though your mealy-mouthed response is well, I just won't tell her not to report it… which is another way of saying you want no part of being a solution to reducing sexual violence. You clearly make it seem as though through a conversation with yourself a victim would get the inference they should not report to police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

I notice you have nothing to say about the poster I was responding to, who said rape victims should be guilt tripped into reporting their rape on the grounds that other women will also be raped if they don't.

lols…that's some mental gymnastics right there.

I think given what we know about the women in porn films, who as you say are often drug addicted or even just trafficked, an outright ban should probably be considered. But given the worldwide nature of our access to the internet, that would probably be completely ineffective for as long as anonymous access is available to consumers.

I'm interested in what you say about your own use of it. I'm possibly a bit older than you, so my sex education began back when it was quite difficult to get access to the magazines on the top shelf of the local shelf (because even over 18, a neighbour might see you buying them!) so I can't say it ever really had a effect on me. But then being a woman it wasn't targeted at me either. But initially it was something that I could find arousing, in small amounts.

I've also seen enough of it to see trends that have developed over the years: there used to be an attempt at a story, whereas now there isn't, and more importantly, there's so much more cruelty towards women than there used to be that I can't watch porn any more. Not only does it no longer excite me, but I generally find it horrifying. I've actually seen clips where the woman is crying real tears - and it's easy to see why. How does any man find that arousing? I don't get it.

I’d really love to know where this idea I’m suggesting women who were raped should be “guilted” into reporting it to the authorities.

I’ve literally read accounts from rape survivors who have stated their primary motivation for reporting was to ensure another woman is not harmed by the attacker.

But I’m guilting victims.

Okaaay.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement