Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I didn't want glasses. Didn't think I needed them. But once I saw through them, there was no going back. Same with 60fps. Maybe in previous gens I didn't realise/cop that some games were 60, but with the fidelity of today's games and OLED tech, I find its far more obvious and jarring. OLEDs are built for definition! I don't know how people still manage with 30tbh, each to their own but I personally think its night and day difference. And if BOTW/TOTK are as good as ye say, then they definitely deserve that 60fps goodness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can understand that. 30 feels fine until you experience 60 and there's no going back when you do. I've a friend now that has a good monitor and he can't stand less than 120 anymore and finds 60 hard to stomach!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I mean I've a 4090 and can perceive 60 as being choppy compared with 120. I could hardly tolerate 60fps in a FPS with M&K. Doom Eternal would be dogshit like that, 120 minimum. But I really think it has to be looked at a case by case basis, games which are pushing less detail per pixel and on a controller rather than mouse can get away with 30 is my view. The fact is a lot of the games in previous gens which were 'fine' at 30 on an LCD where just that, they were 'fine'. The ones that weren't fine imo were ones with terrible screen tear and frame pacing issues, which was common on PS3 with UE3.

OLEDs do cause problems but I see that as a more an OLED problem tbh. I've tried BOTW at 60 on an emulator as well and there are games that are transformed by stable FPS (Bayonetta 3) but I think Zelda is fine at 30. The only issue as johnny mentions is when the physics get complicated it sort of syncs down to a locked 20, or something like this. Like when you start building complicated things all joined together. This is a very small percent of the experience tho

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What's your issue with OLED? Asking as someone in the market for a new monitor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As ever, my view is that wherever possible, 60 FPS + is the best possible way to experience a game. The difference between 30 and 60 is night and day. This gen has been a big step forward in making 60 FPS more of a standard.

But if a major, significant or interesting game is only readily available at 30 FPS, I would never shoot myself in the foot just to miss out on it completely. Of course, I'd like the the absolute minimum to be a smooth, properly frame paced 30 - but some of my favourite games of all time perform worse than that, so greatness can still shine through. Still need a 60 FPS Bloodborne before I replay it, though :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I recently replayed Bloodborne which is probably the first 30fps game I've played in ages. It's jarring at first but you get used to it again pretty quickly. Stable frame rate is far more important.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Last Guardian and Bloodborne are my two favourite PS4 first party games. Both games run like ****, especially TLG. Would absolutely prefer smoother versions of both to be readily available, but again the games shone through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

I see Sony are launching a special 30 year anniversary edition of the PS5 Pro "at participating retailers". Anyone have any idea if it will be possible to preorder this in Ireland?

https://blog.playstation.com/2024/09/19/celebrating-30-years-of-playstation-with-a-nostalgic-look/

The frame pacing in bloodborne was enough to spoil the game for me when I played it first as I had come off the back of DS2 scholar of the first sin. It was unbearable. Had to take a break from it until I was used to 30 fps again.

And to this day I find the last guardian's inconsistent frame rate and frame pacing makes the game awful to play. I just can't get into it and it's frustrating as it's a game I want to get into. I might play some old PS1 or N64 game first to adjust and try it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Luna84

I use a C2 OLED Tv as a monitor and also for gaming on Xbox. I have it over a year now and tbh I wasn't that impressed with OLED. My old 120Hz LG Tv was just as good imo as this OLED. Mind you though the OLED has Freesync Premium where as the old tv just had adaptive sync with HDMI 2.0. Freesync is way better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Won’t be able to get these direct here unfortunately. Best hope is that Smyths/Amazon get some stock in.

Wouldn’t be going for a console but I would be very tempted by the controller, it looks fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

LG OLED game mode really shows up 30 FPS games as choppy. You can see each frame. And watch them blend..yuck 🤮

But BOTW/TOTK are buttery smooth in regular modes. I think it's cause they are 1080p. I know the TV does some kind of frame compensation.

Seems to be a sweet spot. Or just pure luck. And there is no perceived lag for me either. This is on a C1.

Other higher resolution stuff 30 FPS stuff I've tried on Series X and PS5 makes me feel sick after a short while.

OLED HDR 60 FPS or 120 is incredible. Ori and the Will of the wisps runs 6K downscaled to 4K at 120 FPS on Series X.

I've sold the Xbox now, but Ori for me was the killer XBox Series app. And RDR2 at native 4K 30 FPS but only on an LED monitor. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I don't have the technical language to explain it, but essentially 'laggier' TVs are better at blending the frames together whereas you can see each frame on an OLED. Which won't be a problem at 60 or 120 but every frame does sort of 'hit' you at 30

I don't see it as an issue for lower detail games like Zelda as much, but something like FFXVI is a constant flicker fest, I played some boss fights in that and couldn't see a thing. No exaggeration. It's why the image quality the performance modes on the FF games are such a big deal for people, cause it's so challenging to play them at 30

On the other hand, when you have a system which can drive 4k 120 on OLED it's sort of nuts how good it looks. Speaking of FF again the Airbuster fight on remake on PC kinda looks unbelievable with its perfect pixels and black levels. But good motion clarity feels necessary for the OLED effect to really work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

This is my experience with 30fps on a 120fps capable OLED too. It really is way worse than 30 fps on other TVs in the house.

Getting settled into two very different games this weekend.

Playing Silent Hill 2, which I have played before but don't think I ever finished. Man, this game looks incredible even today (playing on PS2 emulation). It's just so weird, oppressive and distinctive - absolutely drenched in fog and film grain. Really don't like how slick, modern and 'clean' (in terms of resolution if not in world design) the remake looks in comparison. Obvs the OG comes with its vintage quirks and jank, but what a vision it is.

Also finally getting around to Lies of P. Good game so far, but not too fond of the 'perfect guard' timing so far. Just feels a tad loose, combined with the somewhat unnatural movements of the enemies you encounter. Sekiro really has spoiled parrying for me for other games in this genre. But lots of other stuff to like.

I restarted Lies of P myself but yeah, I'd forgotten that as great as it is, a big part of the difficulty is somewhat artificial due to incredibly weird hesitations in attacks throwing off dodges and deflects.

Actually ended up installing Dark Souls 3 again and decided to replay it instead.

Yeah I’m only just finished the second boss, but even when they have their telegraphed ‘you need to perfectly block this’ attacks, it’s hard to know when to block it because it’s usually either frames or even a second or two off what you expect.
    Not that From is immune to adding odd attack timing to bosses occasionally, but the jittery movement that is built into the designs here makes it a lot more pronounced. Could do with a Jedi Survivor style option to increase the parry window honestly.

I don't get how God of War 2018 is a "10/10"/masterpiece game.

It's very repetitive, the dwarf shop keepers appearing after every "stage" gets annoying very quickly, you can spam the combat, the puzzles are the same, the monsters are repetitive, the hokey dialogue, the kid sounds like he's from a 2020s US suburb, the endless junk you pick up and all the stupid fiddling you need to do to upgrade your characters, and it goes on and on ...

... Luckily I paid 10 euro for it, and won't be getting Ragnarok. So that's time and money saved. I will finish it thought because I'm half way through, Kratos is a bad ass and has some good lines, and it looks beautiful at times and it's very polished. But it's a 7/10 game for me.

Looks like Frostpunk 2 is even better than the first. Delighted, really enjoyed the first so will be giving it a go. It's on game pass as a day one.

Not sure what is up with my Twitter but ever since the release of the PC port of FF16 the final fantasy fans are on overdrive with posts about how FF16 is under rated and unfairly criticized.

I saw this earlier in the year but it's kicked off again. It kind of makes me not want to play the game.

• Advertisement

Rock Paper Shotgun has the perfect review of the game IMO (from the same writer who gave it a three star review for Eurogamer - seems time hasn’t made him more receptive to it). A maddening, wildly uneven game.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/final-fantasy-16-review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Honestly I don't think you'd enjoy the game. It's a beautiful game in spots and the narrative, does well in some places and falls over in others. The cast are well voiced, and can be likable (mainly Cid) but ultimately two dimensional characters (bar Clive who does have a bit of growth to be fair). The gameplay is flashy but lacks any real strategy once you learn to parry/block effectively, and the end combination of powers you get are just crazy overpowered.

Unfortunately the most intriguing parts of the game are in the trials where your combat scope narrows significantly and you need to be more inventive, but this is such a small part of the game that it almost feels like a teaser.

And to be clear, I'm as dopey a FF fanboy as you can get, and I know I won't be replaying this any time soon

The tag line on that review "if it were half as big, it'd be twice as good" is pretty much how I'd suggest to fix the game too. The world itself is fine, but the amount of retracing of steps in boring fetch quests is ridiculous. It really does miss the wacky part of FF games that Rebirth chased after, and honestly, it made Rebirth a nice palette cleanser after it, because there was dorky, wacky bits in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

C'mon Sony, do something interesting tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Luna84

I was looking through my games on the Xbox looking for something to play after beating Crackdown 3 and seen I actually own SpongeBob's: Truth or Square game it is a Xbox 360 game that I'm playing on backwards compatibility. I honestly didn't even know I had it I would have getting it free from Xbox with Games with Gold when they were doing that. I loved the remastered version of SpongeBob Squarepants Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated. So I said I would give this game a go. Graphics aren't great and the camera is bad for a platformer on the Xbox 360. Camera is like a platformer on the Nintendo 64 as in you can move it a bit but not full control as games have had for many many years now. But issues aside it's still a decent platformer.

Gonna watch it tonight. Hoping for my cynicism to be ridiculed but I don't think Sony is going to follow up on Astrobot just yet.

Its a crying shame that more people haven't played Armored Core 6 and I'm making it my new Ace Combat 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

So tell us, will you be a consultant for Ace Combat 8? 😉

If the game can be abbreviated to AC and a number then I'm shilling it.

• Advertisement

Bet you're glad Assassin's Creed abandoned their numbering system.

Smyths Pre Orders for the PS5 pro now live. They do have listed a 30th anniversary edition Pro for €1,099 which actually isn’t as bad as I expected considering it looks to include a DualSense and DualSense Edge. Obviously there was no stock though!

Did grab one of the anniversary controllers though, love the look of it.

€1,099 for a discless console and an extra controller (premium or otherwise) is still pretty **** bad IMO 😅

Oh, definitely - I just expected it to be more considering the normal console is €800 and buying the controllers separately would be €330, and there’s a very limited production run.

Didn’t bother checking to see if the normal Pro was in stock but presume it was.

Yeah I picked up the standard Pro and the 30th Dualsense Edge. Missed out on the bundle. I would say the console would come with the standard controller anyway, so really the bundle is;

Pro & controller - 800, Dualsense Edge - 250, Charging station - 30, diskdrive faceplate - maybe 30. So 1,099 is pretty much the same cost as buying all separately. But of course, if you think the Pro is overpriced by itself anyway, the bundle is going to feel expensive regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You're only getting one Pro controller extra in that bundle over the base bundle so you're not saving anything.

Yep fair, I was thinking about both 30th anniversary controllers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

It's a great deal. I'm going to sell the 30th pro controller still in the box. Which will take 200-250 off the price. When I trade this in (or sell online) for a ps6 it'll have retained it's value unlike the Pro which Will probably lose 300+ of it's value. I got an extra regular 30th controller for the same price as any other and likewise it'll have a much better sell on price.

The oul business degree coming in handy because so many people don't see it this way.

You're getting a 30th themed stand too which regular pro buyers separately for €30. Not sure about the disc cover.

I think you’d be mad to sell any of it separately tbh - will more than retain its value as a full set.

20th anniversary PS4s still go for well over 2 grand. I’d be hanging on to it the PS5 edition long as I could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Scalpers already listing them for 5k so it’s quite a bit cheaper than it could have been and still would have sold out.

Unfortunately I missed out on it but I’ve pre-ordered a regular PS5 pro and an anniversary edition PS5 slim.

As long as I cover the PS6 cost I'll be happy but you're right. I'm not short on money and the value of that unopened pro controller will increase faster then the money I'd get now sitting in an account.

Your valuations for the ps4, are they not based off unopened ps4s? Because I'll be playing the **** out of this pro.

I really do hope they have more just to burn those scalpers. Sony should do the limited run of 12,000 then a non-limited run that looks the same but doesn't have the counter for the same money.

After looking at the DF videos the Pro does seem to be good-ish value (still expensive) but as they say, the target market is Playstation owners with a catalogue or PS games that want the best way to play them.

Similar to the 30th Edition. If you want the console, Edge controller, stand and charger, this is a better value bundle than buying separately.

Price and value will be different to different people.

Theres an unopened one priced on eBay for nearly €5k, and I’ve seen unsealed but in great condition for €2.3k.

I would just keep everything as pristine as possible, and would never use it as a trade-in. There’s such a limited run on these that unless you were desperate for money I’d hang onto it for as long as possible.

There's a big difference between priced and sold. They could be sitting there for years with a buy it now people wouldn't pay.

Then again the Malibu Stacy with new hat over the PS5 pro anniversary edition means I would t be surprised by it if they are selling.

Yeah no rush to sell. I put the stuff I'm not using in the attic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

There's also plenty of unopened for sale under €2K and if you search sold listings there's some that went for a little over €1K unopened recently. As Retro said, there's a massive difference between listed and sold prices on eBay

Warming to God of War 2018, only cause I'm getting near the end and the boy has become snarky and annoying the **** (more) out of Kratos 🤣. Also, the are lots of little dense puzzle areas to solve all over the place.

I wish Sony would let us know what games they are not going to remaster for PS5 pro, so I can avoid playing those until I get a PS5 pro or PS6 in 5 years time.

Advertisement