Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Happy enough with the hire. He coached a very good offence in Tennessee and over the years has shown that he at least belongs on the league which is a massive step up from Canada. Remains to be seen what they do at QB

Would be good if Munchak came back to his old role as Oline coach and run game coordinator but I thought they had committed to Meyer for another year?

Who had Wilson and Fields as our QB room for 2024?

What a bonkers offseason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,807 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Saw this elsewhere on Boards so re-posting here… I think the final game clashes with the Dublin College Football game.

Virgin Media will show three Pittsburgh Steelers pre-season games this month in a further expansion of the team’s presence in Ireland and the level of NFL content that is being made accessible to Irish viewers.

Tomorrow night at 11.30, the Steelers’ clash with the Houston Texans will be broadcast to Irish audiences along with their clash with the Buffalo Bills on Saturday the 17th – also an 11.30 kick-off – before showcasing the team’s trip to the Detroit Lions on Saturday August 24th at 5.30pm.

The Steelers are the most interesting team to watch pre-season as they have two quarterbacks competing for the position of starter throughout these three games. The Steelers, somewhat uncharacteristically, made the bold decision to sign both Super Bowl-winning quarterback Russell Wilson and former Chicago Bears starter Justin Fields in the off-season, and in the process they got rid of their own draft pick Kenny Pickett, clearing the way for an offensive re-shuffle.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/the-pittsburgh-steelers-quarterback-race-will-be-live-on-free-irish-tv-in-deal-with-virgin/a388234093.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Another Steelers Croke park watch party incoming. September 29th. Tickets on sale this Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭bop1977

anyone who went last year just got an email to buy tickets a day early.

• Advertisement

Must try to make one of these this season

How are people feeling about the upcoming season. Very hard to know what to expect with the QB situation

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

The defence looks great except for slot CB with an undrafted rookie starting there and they'll need to be great until the Oline jells. I think it will be another season of close wins and losses and we have the most difficult schedule this year. Very difficult to predict how the offence fares with a new OC and QB but I'm optimistic all the same. Arthur Smiths system I think will suit the strengths already on offence in a pound and ground, set up play action scheme.

Roman Wilson could have a fantastic rookie season with Pickens being double covered and Freiermuth drawing away LBs. The linebacker core is magnificent looking with 2 elite OLBs and a rising star in Herbig. Starting ILBs look great too and Peyton Wilson the rookie has bags of potential.

The defence should be good but I’m not as optimistic on the offence tbh. Harris and Warren are a good RB duo but not much else to feel good about.

The line is very inexperienced and it’s disappointing that they haven’t brought someone in to play WR2 opposite Pickens, he is going to be doubled on every play and nobody else on that roster will beat coverage consistently. The passing game could really struggle IMO

This offence is never going to be airing it out unless they have to. If they can dominate the run they can make the easy throws to move the chains, that's what this team is designed for. 3 TE sets will be common and if they can be effective using it they will sap any defences energy. Darnell Washington will be nightmare matchup for any DE in those jumbo sets.

Redzone offence might be an issue alright. It's possible to dominate all they way up the field running and the odd short pass but the compressed endzone is a different beast.

We will see. They have had a lot of injury issues at the offensive tackle spot and it’s going to take time for the line to get it together (if it does at all).
    Wilson named starter now and I’m sure Fields will come in for certain packages. I hope the offence can move the ball but I expect it to be very much a work in progress early in the season.

• Advertisement

Isaac Seumalo injured his pec and will miss several weeks. Steelers conditioning bug is back.

I can't make it this year, but I see there's a different ticket option for the watch party available now.

The 'Endzone', priced at €20.

Not sure what the difference will be.

https://crokepark.ie/steelers

Hate to be a moaner but the refs are killing us here

Calling back Pickens big play on that ticky tacky offensive PI was bad enough but they took a perfectly good strip sack off TJ and of course the Falcons throw a TD two plays later. Absolutely game changing call

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

It was good to meet some of the 'legends' such as Santonio Holmes.

During the game at downtimes they were chatting and you could get pics.

There was good buzz / atmosphere, although hard to sustain that if game starts petering out. And at a certain point on a Sunday evening peoples thoughts start to turn to having to get up for work.

You could buy some Steelers merch.

Thought the food options were limited and expensive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I enjoyed it. Atmosphere started off well but did teeter off. I’m tempted to book the Monday off and have a few scoops. I agree with odyssey food was expensive considering there’s a cover charge but the nachos were good!

Also game tonight. Thank fook for our Defence. Offense performing same as last season even though fields didn’t have the worst game.

Had to laugh when Mike Tomlin interviewed during game and said he didnt think they could win it just with field goals... and thats how they won it in the end!

Wont fly week in week out though.

D was ridiculous, Atlanta just couldn’t move the ball at all.

Fields was fine but they had no threat of a passing TD at any stage. Maybe Russ will be more efficient in passing situations when he gets in

Cant expect three turnovers from the D every week

in fairness I lol’d

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

The Fields trade starting to look a better piece of business with each passing week.

At the end of the 2ndQ and into the 3rd quarter it looked promising, albeit against a weak Chargers defence.

If he can get it going with Muth and 14 it would be a relative steal to take that fifth-year ($25m).

All for a fourth-round pick!

Not sure about Smith at OC but I'm sure the overall coaching Fields will get at the Steelers will be allot better than what he received at the Bears.

Roman Wilson could be the missing piece of the puzzle once he's healthy

Brought back to to earth this evening. Colts dominated both lines of scrimmage for the first three quarters and the Steelers kept making costly mistakes

That said they only lost by a FG

Injuries are really mounting up, especially on the offensive line. They really missed Highsmith too

The fumbles were bad but the errors on snaps are a major problem. Shouldn’t be happening.

Fields can be so good and so bad at the same time.

Defence weren’t at it at all tonight either and they’ve held us together for the last 3 wins.

To be fair they have a new OC and QB, a rookie Center, and both their guards and RT are out. A bit of sloppiness on offence is to be expected. They will sort the bad snaps out I am sure.

The big issue was the much vaunted defence that couldn’t stop Joe Flacco from throwing it all over. The Colts moved the ball far too easily

Fields dragged them back in to the game in the second half. There is a lot to like about him but there is always a mistake in him too.

They are badly missing a WR2. If Pickens is covered Fields has nowhere to go with the ball most of the time

Watched it in Croke park last night. Very frustrating to watch and the crowd only got a few moments to wave the towels before a calamity killed the buzz.

They looked like a team that didn't practice or study the opposition at all. They certainly aren't a playoff quality team by any means. The AFC North advantage won't last long playing like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭bop1977

I was there as well last night. Compared to last year it was so disappointing. Half the hogan stand blocked off for the VIP section, the only food was lads walking around with trays, the former players didn’t mingle like they did last year.

Even croke park didn’t put out much on their socials. To top it all off the tickets went from €20 to €40 this year (those that went last year did get an invite to go for €30). Very poor all round. I’d think twice about going again.

James Daniel’s out for the season. Damn

• Advertisement

Ya the food was horrible. I fasted on purpose expecting what was on offer the first time from what I was told. The rubber burger was repeating on me until this morning.

It felt like a bit of a money grab for the bar and catering really.

The Steelers merch was good if you had lots of money but still cheaper than to buy from NFL online.

Same was there both years. The food stalls was much better the first year than the food baskets being shilled around.

Definitely felt a bit more soulless this year and the players were not interested this year in either mingling or at the signing.

They need to up their game if they are to do a threepeat

I forgot to mention the awful sound quality in there. My father operated the mixing desk for a band for years and he was wincing all night. Man those food baskets were stinking like old socks half way through the night. MC was a pain in the hole to listen to too.

Advertisement