Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭rrs

After this weekend some Clubs won't have much football for the rest of the year, bar maybe or 1 or 2 Relegation play off games depending on how they go. It's a long enough gap until the League start end of March or April. Meath run a Divisional Championship at the end of the year for Junior and Intermediate players to impress the County managament.

Roscommon have amalgamations in their Club championship a smilar sized County to Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Just looking from outside are Killeshandra in trouble?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Maybe they should go and talk to reps from Killygarry & Butlersbridge. It doesn’t seem to be an issue down that way where those two clubs are benefitting greatly from the children of former Gaels players who went to their national schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 breffnitightlips

• Registered Users Posts: 7 breffnitightlips

Maghera are not gonna be able to hold on to any good underage players because there’s not a real possibility of winning games never mind silverware, it’s unfortunate. As for corlough you have to admire the commitment, men in there 50s playing to keep the club going, population against them, are they still joining with templeport next year ?

Maghera had Graham Reilly the ex Meath player managing them this year. They must have been offering good money because I don't know how he took on that role.

I see the GAA are pulling the plug on the pre season competitions next year. No standing in the cold in the first week in January for a McKenna Cup game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭tazman06

Yeah I replied that after. 16 teams and seeded in theirs

Killygarry seem to crumble when the pressure is on. They were coasting against Ballinagh in League Semi. 5 up against Gowna today and Gowna hit 5 or 6 without repay.

A poor championship for Kingscourt after a decent start against Gowna

Gowna through having won one game. They just seem to time it. Interesting quarter finals apart from Crosserlough Ballinagh.

• Advertisement

Ryan Donahoe made a few great catches in the second half. Conor Casey was good when introduced. Both players are over 6f. Killygarry lack a bit of height.

Arva look the team to beat in Intermediate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭piplip87

Could be some decent quarter finals. Was at the Ramor Geals game. Hard to know what to take from it, Ramor didn't need to win but I'd be concerned enough over the last four games showed some real sloppy play and without Liam Brady look very weak from the kickout and again today a massive concern.

Great to see some youth coming again. Young McCrystal has grabbed the No 14 shirt from Ado I think.

Crosserlough seem like the team to beat at the minute but there's be alot of teams just doing enough these past few weeks and likely a lot of shadow boxing.

Good to see Mullahorn back competing again, Ballyhaise look like they could be a coming force very very good midfielder and a big old style full forward.

Still I think the last four will be The Lough, Gowna, Ramor and the Geals.

Jody Devine won’t be cheap for Kingscourt either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Anthony A

Been an entertaining and competitive championship so far. Killygarry and Kingscourt were a bit unlucky to get eliminated. Not much between many of the teams.

Crosserlough have had the easiest draw so far while the other teams take lumps out of each other. But they have put teams away comprehensively.

Some teams can get lucky with draws. Ballinagh had 2 wins against teams who are in the Relegation play offs Laragh and Lavey. Laragh weren't at the races with the players gone abroad ,so it was 2 pts for whoever played them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭etuzyuk

Are there any suspensions for QFs for either?

Was listening a bit on NS and thought they mentioned a few reds being brandished?

How exactly? Ask anyone from Laragh or Killygarry and they’ll tell you the fee he commanded.

The likes of Drumlane and Killenkere finished for the year. Does the league need to be finished before the championship. They seem to cram in games in bad weather at the end of March onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭celt262

It's no different than playing it in bad weather in late October and November like used to happen. It's right to finish before championship I think.

It went on too long before up to December sometimes, but if they had it wrapped up by Halloween it wouldn't be a bad. It would also give the clubs competiting in Ulster some games, as they be waiting weeks after the end of the Cavan Club championship. Castlerahan were waiting for 4 or 5 weeks after the won Intermediate in 22.

• Advertisement

You would find the clubs in the Ulster club wouldn't want to play league games till there out and drag it out for everyone else. Clubs are training since January a 9 month season for the majority is loads.

Yeah they are training since January but they don't need to be. The split season was brought in so the season wouldn't be as prolonged for a club player. Tyrone and Fermanagh start the league in may. Though it could should start mid April.

Clubs wanted it that way. A team has a massive advantage if get far in championship and play team who don't in terms of fitness.

I know exactly what he commands and compared to a lot it's below average.

In the Cavan championship? They are playing the same amount of games , maybe some games less intense then others. A player could get injured regardless

If you're in league final having got to the later stages of championship against a team that went out early you have a huge advantage. The policy for years is finish league before championship as clubs requested that be the way going forward.

That would be issue too. Should they link the league to championship and play less league games without County players like in Tyrone?

Not sure about this. Their League was running until recently. They can also work it as they are knockout.

Post edited by tazman06 on

It's fine the way it is Club players are getting steady games from the start of the year until they are out of the championship i don't see why anyone would want to change that.

They still have a few rounds left in league . Yeah they can structure it better with a knockout championship. I think they play a regional league before their proper league starts which gives the club players game before the County players are back

• Advertisement

It's not even a competitive league. A team can win 1 game and stay up. A junior team playing in Division 1 which gives them a advantage in the junior championship

I think its fine apart from the relegation /promotion craic. It's time to get onto your club to propose changes if you think it can all be done better.

Post edited by celt262 on

There will be a new chairman at the end of the year. Be surprised if things stayed as they were.

I would be very suprised if a whole pile changed they are just playing musical chairs in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭piplip87

Lads they may have bigger issues. I see Shane Lowry is after ditching Kingspan. Id say the county board will have to make a call on this urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Maybe now is the time the CB could approach Kingspan and ask them if they would pump some of their newly free sponsorship money into a top quality coaching structure for underage development? They could call it the Kingspan Academy.

Considering parting with them would be insanity.

I think they'll get away with this. It is higher profile and/or UK based ones that are getting heat. So Lowry and Ulster Rugby. Kingspan based here, I'm not seeing any heat to Cavan GAA other than a few UK people and not sure what difference that makes to here. Head down and keep quiet is what they'll likely do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭ipitydafool

Shane Lowry made 7 million in earnings on golf course alone in 2024 and given profile can easily line someone else up for some sponsorship of bag/shirt etc so can see why he was advised to part ways with Kingspan. Who could Cavan GAA get in at the level to replace Kingspan at a time when they need all the money they can get for development plans? I agree,head down and wait it out and maybe try and hit them up for more down the line because you stayed loyal. Getting some cash off them for a 'Kingspan Academy' and top quality coaching structure for underage development like suggested would be brillant, it's badly needed but the foresight from anyone inside in Breifne for it at the moment sadly seems non-existent.

I wouldn't be having anything to do with them tbh.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

You'd be in favour of dropping them as sponsor? Why?

They are not a company that i think we should be associated with in Cavan GAA. The below should be enough.

Kingspan “knowingly” created a “false market” in insulation for use on buildings over 18m in height and the report said it “cynically exploited” the industry’s limited understanding of insulation and cladding fire safety tests. “Dishonest strategies”, “deeply entrenched and persistent dishonesty”, a “complete disregard for fire safety”

It’s good that you aren’t in charge of promotional fundraising activities so.

If you do enough digging with any successful company, you’ll find skeletons in the cupboard. That’s the nature of business.

This will all die over and we should stand by Kingspan like they have stood by us.

From my understanding they had a very limited role in what happened far less than the other 2 cladding companies, the council and many other parties including the government.

Michael Gove and Jim Allister seem determined to get them for sectarian reasons and the fact they are an Irish and foreign company. Probably deflects from their own government failings too.

• Advertisement

Speaking of fundraising would be interesting what sort of figures the CB are taking in so far this championship. Crowds are down I think, I personally blame some of it on their determination to use 2 ticketing apps and not accept cash. The harder it is for people to go the less will go.

First off, there's no doubt Kingspan have acted shady here - think everyone is clear on that. The bit I scratch my head at though is that they seem to be getting all of the heat here. The report says only 5% of material was Kingspan, and they did not know about that or authorise that product for that particular usage.

They're getting a lot of heat for Grenfell, when the report talks about Kingspan generally in the industry but not about this one tragedy. The actual ones who did so are getting far less exposure here, with blame seemingly put solely to Kingspan for being the biggest in the market. Yes, it seems they used some advantages as market leader, but what are the regulators at here? A company is getting the blame for acting like a company and not a regulator who seem to have got away with doing nothing with regulation here. It's just weird overall

But even with this, they are a Cavan based company, and lots here in the county work for them or supply/support as third party companies etc. We are in very little position to be cutting a sponsor like this after 30 years, considering the close relationship of both in multiple ways. I don't see why a company could be beyond redemption, especially in their home county and all the good that has gone on before this

Cavan GAA haven't gotten any heat as far as I see. Head down and power through might seem a little unsavoury, but I think they should considering location and history there and how they can redeem

They are accepting cash or ticket in other counties. It's silly even for underage games tickets are needed

Yeah it's crazy for underage. Surely it's a hindrance as well for attracting any foreign or non GAA person into a match. Nevermind elderly. They've been called out repeatedly on this for years by councillors, age action Ireland etc. Crowds absolutely are down big time there's no doubt especially in Breifne it's very noticeable.

It's one thing for the Ireland rugby or soccer team or big gigs but GAA especially club GAA should have been one of the holdouts.

Yeah they are cutting people off ,wlhen the GAA is supposed to be a community sport. The crowds are down in the championship. I think the format might have a part too. Teams can lose a few games and make a quarter final, or win just once like Gowna.

• Advertisement
Advertisement