Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The decline of FG?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭pureza

I doubt it,since over 90% of them are at home,maybe do some basic research before posting such crap ?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/710767/irish-population-by-age/

https://www.thejournal.ie/emigration-poll-thejournal-6375309-May2024/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

First off I know no 18 year old goes abroad and any over 30's are doing a years travelling. I know about 20 that are or have travelled at present since COVID. My better half niece and boyfriend are back after 6 months in Australia. My nephew is gone a plumber it could be ten years before he is back but it's his choice.

Know a lad gone at present he has his own business his parents are managing it with a friend of his. He be back late this or next year. He was home a few weeks ago fir 15-20 days.

Most people travelling are going to Australia which is more expensive and housing is more expensive than here as well. They do it by CHOICE in the main they are not FORCED

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,233 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Emigration at it’s highest since 2015 which was probably near the peak of the austerity caused by the party FG said should never be in charge of finance again. Who is the MoF again?

And to your colleague in arms flawed point,what say you ?

90% of 18-30 year olds don’t support FG. Have those that have left tipped the balance for FG, is something to wonder about.
    The stark facts that emigration is back to 2015 levels is something to worry about. I wonder how many left because they saw FG and FF collude to carry on as they were? Promise change and deliver none.

• Advertisement

Lol,thats a flawed crumb of comfort as it can be used to state the vast majority don't vote for any party,just like your flawed crumbs of comfort on emmigration but sure cherry pick away if you like,does it ever change things you don't like?

You think people go to Australia for cheaper houses ? You know its for the experience and the crack while young right?

Have you noted like the CSO have,that 30,000 Irish citizens returned last year?

2 more question's,your posts and the kind of SF rhetoric that people are increasingly fed up of, as to how terrible things are,chime very similar to Donald Trumps ,which of ye are more likely to be in government next year,both or none? Why are FG and Kamala rising in response to that shite (rhetorical)?

I'd imagine people emigrate for a variety of reasons.
    One of them would be for 'hope'.
    Property might be more expensive but actually being able to be in a position to buy would be the attraction. I know that because I know people who emigrated, including young nieces and nephews, who had despaired ever being in a position to own a home etc. I know people too who go for the craic, *crack is a drug afaik

I know you might not like the stark emigration figures quoted and are now trying to say it's just SF rhetoric, you couldn't be more Trumpian and out of touch with reality.

People are emigrating in numbers greater than 2015 = fact. The government is still having to respond to the cost of living crisis here by giving out aid to it's people.

Some craic!

You do know theres an even bigger property shortage in Australia than Ireland yeah ?

So looking for houses by extension should be less motivation than weather , craic,or experience ?

Btw,I didn't say emmigration numbers are SF rhethoric,I said going on about how terrible things are,including immigration is flawed and people being fed up with that flawed narrative might be part of why,they're down down down,whilst govetnment parties and like minded independents are looking the much stronger,not what you want to hear,I suppose?

So everything is rosy?

Some things are terrible about this country. Whether SF go up or down or FG get a couple of points ahead doesn't obscure the facts.
    'Hope' that you will be able to make a good life is why people emigrate in the main, now and always. Also a fact. Being able to afford a home in a country where property is scarce is better by a country mile than not ever being in a position to buy a home.

The property issue is not solved these days by moving to Australia or any modern developed country these days,as isn't Australia's supply of houses vs demand even worse than ours

As for rosy,do ya know,nowhere is or ever is perfect,if thats your metric,you'll always be miserable,Ireland is reasonably good on many metrics and comparatively worse on others,same as every developed country

• Advertisement

Pureza, people emigrate for 'hope'. If Australia provides that hope you'll just have to accept that they are going against your advise. Point is, they are going, in greater numbers every year. Now at 2015 level high. You will also have to accept those CSO figures.

And who says I'm miserable? 😁
    I have never denied that Ireland is good on many metrics, I am also not in denial of what 'decline' is and why it is happening. The 'I'm alright Jack, drink up your soup' arrogance of those who want the power balance to remain unaltered being a primary reason why people are moving out of the country and why those who remain are moving away from FG incrementally in every GE since 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Another 5 years of FG, Francie, and you might give up hope yourself. Those men’s sheds are meant to be good for getting out and about.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

Made of stronger stuff up here Bobson.
    When did FG get 5 more years, did I miss a GE?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭moon2

Excerpt from the stats:

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-pme/populationandmigrationestimatesapril2023/keyfindings/

Emigration above 60,000 for first time since 2016

Of the 64,000 emigrants, 30,500 were Irish citizens in the year to April 2023. With a total of 29,600 returning Irish citizens, there is close to zero net migration (-900 people).  

------

An unbiased reading of the stats and facts would likely conclude that there's been an increase in emmigration compensating for the significant decrease 2 years ago, which is (unsurprisingly) COVID related. People are most likely resuming the plan they had prior to COVID.

The number of returning Irish is also approximately the same as the number of those leaving. If people emmigrating is a sign of hope for a better future elsewhere, then surely people people returning implies they have hope of a better future here?

If the numbers are equivalent, it doesn't paint a picture of anything other than "standard migration patterns"

Who was in power just before Covid?
    Emigration levels are back at 2015 levels = a fact.

A lot of people come back but reasons are varied there too. Many return having saved enough to get the leg up the ladder they would never get here.

Or they couldn't buy a house in Australia ?

Honestly you re all negative negative negative,people see through that in SF and do ya know they're fed up of it

No, maybe you again missed where I said there are varied reasons for people to leave and come back.
    A lot leave because they have no hope here. Has always been a high part of the reasons for emigration anywhere.
    Thread is about FG btw and people gave been seeing through them since 2011 and are declining to vote for them.

Lol yes it's a misleadingly titled thread for bashing Fine Gael and,the latest tool you and your comrade in arms used in it mar dhea that things is terrible because emmigration says so being shown as wrong this past few pages,whats next from you,I'll bet its something else stupidly exaggeratingly gloomy?

Not my fault you are not as yet able to face the reality that FG’s vote is in decline.
    The reasons for a decline are always mostly negative.

I couldn't care less what delusion you are personaly labouring under regarding this current government or Fine Gael,how terrible things are etc etc but do you know posting endless easily debunked SF negativity day in day out won't turf them out,it just turns people off your lot

• Advertisement

Nobody forcing you to read the thread. How do you debunk the reality expressed in the thread title btw?

Are you saying 39% down to 25% down to 20% is not ‘decline’? Falls in EU and local elections too.

You are in the habit of pretending there are no posts in this thread(and others) except your own

Its only 4 or 5 posters reading this thread,3 of whom have comprehensively debunked your nonsense,all upthread,so who are you fooling only yourself with the repetition of it?

So you are, despite the black and white evidence, continuing to deny a decline in their vote?

Posters here have been giving differing reasons for that decline if you read the thread. I.E. they accept there has been a decline. Some reasons offered I accept are part of the reason and others I disagree with. Such is a discussion forum. No consensus might ever be reached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Id say people will start seeing through the bluffer Harris very soon. His rhetoric is short lived. The honeymoon period is nearly over. I expect Fg to get less than the last election. it's amazing how some try and correlate local elections with a general election . The country awash with money and the gaellers are wasting it all, children hospital, housing etc etc. they can't be trusted to run anything to a budget. The problem is the other crowds are just as useless. Watch the independents clean up

Id say people will start seeing through the bluffer Harris very soon

I made the observation before that he has all the talents to be the most reviled FG leader yet. Smug, arrogant and more than capable of saying or doing the wrong thing.
    Varadkar led them to further decline quite quite possible Simon will too.

Do you know,I'm just disputing your analysis and the timing of the Fine gael bashing thread when their poll support is on the opposite track to the chief opposition party after 13 years of government & potentially 5 more,aswell as pointing out your ignoring of posters debunkings isn't doing you any favours,plus it just smells of sour grapes & democracy denial tbh trumpian style

A thread on a major party of the government in a politics forum is hardly unusual.

Discussing the reasons for a decline is going to include negative things the party has done or not done. Hardly unexpected.

Your paranoia is increasing, as well as seeing co-conspirators contributing you also think the thread was started by the opposition.

If you smell sour grapes, fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion.

Paranoia as they say is like a fart,he who smelled it dealed it

Your comrade in arms never answered Vexorgs question by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭standardg60

A week is a long time in politics, referencing vote share from decades ago is ancient history. FG are consistently up in the polls since Harris took over, that's all that matters in reality.

If I remember correctly, the only reason this thread was started was as a whatabout to the decline of SF thread, who were and still are currently declining in support. There is no current decline in FG support=fact.

• Advertisement

A ‘decline’ is something that happens over a period. You can set the start point wherever really. I think the decline from 2011 when Enda bought votes promising a new politics is significant though.
    People like Eoin O’Malley were writing studies about FGs decline up to 2002. But even if we just go one election cycle their vote dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Somebody needs to show these stats to the primary school principals we have, if only 10% of the teachers are gone there shouldn't be any shortage

I showed this thread to a lad beside me,albeit in the beer garden and do you know what he said,that lads a member of Fine Gael acting the maggot with you on the internet 🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If the only comment you can make is that there is a few spelling errors it noted

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Common complaint heard on the radio is we have a lot of young teachers gone to the middle east and Australia etc. But if only 10% of them are gone we shouldn't have that issue should we?

I was hoping for clarification on your post but the fact you can't give it is noted

• Advertisement

The problem with teachers is like nurses,they're not paid enough

Pay them more and then you have other unions up in arms striking

Pay them and you've the next lot striking

Whats needed is a law on essential workers pay backed by a referendum

I'd certainly vote yes

No party advocates that because they are afraid to

Btw teachers are just a percentile going to Australia ,theres a mix of everyone

Same as there is coming home

They're not going there for housing opportunities

They're not going there for housing opportunities

They are going in hope of a better life which may or may not include housing opportunities denied to them here. Some are going and returning in the hope of overcoming what they are being denied here - opportunities.
    FG and FF's votes have declined because the type of society they have created denies opportunity for some.

Tbh ,since my mate said yesterday you were a fine gaeler and I've no wish to take part in an internal Fine gael experiment of some sort,I can't engage sorry 😆

Well at least we have an admission that you are a Fine Gaeler and like your former leader Enda, take your lead from what you hear down the pub.

Sorry I can't engage,other to say,you'd have to be dyslexic to read my comment as 'I am a Fine gaeler'

Now please do carry on with the experiment without me,you're doing very well to be fair 😆

• Advertisement

Whatever,

I have had enough of the disingenuous shape shifting tbh.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: no personal attacks. If you want to correct another pooster's spelling then head over to one of the Education forums.
    Next personal attack will be properly sanctioned.
    One post deleted.

I'll also point out that this is not a thread to discuss SF. Do not attempt to derail the thread down the usual rabbithole that SF threads find themselves!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

In 2023 Ireland built the most houses per capita in the whole of Europe.

Our housing output is as good as it gets. Easily hitting 40k new homes this year.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/650798/initiated-dwellings-by-country-europe/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well, that's the thing. FG have changed their leader, energised their party, and as a result, have recovered in the opinion polls, increased their vote in the local and European elections vis-a-vis the last general election. At the very least, the decline has halted.

This is down to the record number of first-time buyers. Young people are buying houses in record numbers now and seeing their friends buying houses. The opportunities are there now.

It is definitely Comical Ali to be suggesting that 2015 was peak austerity. This is from Budget 2015:

"When the Government took office in March 2011 we set out a plan to regain control ofIreland’s fiscal and economic policies, to grow the economy and to get people back to work.Many people both inside and outside this House believed that we as a Government would failand opposed each and every step we took along the way.But, A Cheann Comhairle, the Government did not fail. We exited the bailout. The publicfinances are under control. The Irish economy is growing at the fastest rate among developedeconomies. The rate of jobs creation in Ireland is one of the fastest in Europe. "

It remains to be seen how that has worked in a GE context.
    It didn't increase their local election vote nor their EU one. Both votes declined.

We know from history that Local and EU election performances do not necessarily transfer to GE votes, That's a given, being that they are different elections with differing considerations for the voter.

Local elections and general elections don't happen at the same time, that is why the results are never replicated!!!

The main difference is the timing, not the different considerations.

Here's a view from outside of the situation even as late as 2018 (bolding is mine and gives the lie to a vainglorious government press release):

A dearth of housebuilding over the past 10 years, despite rising household incomes and a sharp increase in employment (from 1.8 million in 2012 to well over 2.1 million last year), has also sent rents soaring, leaving many young workers to miss out on the recovery.

Meanwhile homelessness remains a major problem across the country. And in some areas negative equity and mortgage arrears mean the scars of recession remain. More than 8% of the population live in consistent poverty and 7% of mortgages are still more than three months in arrears.

It makes for a divided nation, uneasy about a recovery. A recent Irish Times/Ipsos MRBI poll found that 52% of voters are “dissatisfied with the way the government is running the country” compared with only 37% that are satisfied.

Seems the public weren't buying the government spin and relegated FG even further come the following GE.

How does an opinion on something else from 2018 have anything to do with the fact of peak austerity being 2015 which is what you claimed?

• Advertisement
Advertisement