Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin & Sky announce deal

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

put your Eircode into Sky's website. If you're still on a coax connection into the house it would suggest the upgrade isn't complete yet.

I had a Virgin engineer at the house recently surveying the coax in the estate for future replacement - he was non-commital on how long it would be before the fibre was run though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Area was installed with fibre about a year ago and even then the installer lad said it would take a year to get it live in the area.

He was in fairness on the button

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭feelings

Does anyone know what modem/router SKY provide for the 1Gb FTTH (over VM fiber)?

I’m getting installed next Wednesday and will post info and pics if it helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭pacman114

Anyone having problems ordering Sky on their site? I put in my eircode and select 1GB, then get to enter my details. The next page 'Additional Information' has a continue button which does not work! Have tried multiple PCs etc

• Advertisement

Seems that either VM (or whichever provider I go with) will have to install an ONT on the wall. Can you ask the installer which company he works under! Whether he's a VM tech, or just a Sky installer.

Actavo working for Virgin have come to install my Sky fibre lol.

Received my hub yesterday from Sky.

Will get back on here to see how she performs. Unfortunately my kitchen is at the front of house and that’s were the install will only go too.

interestingly VM emailed me to say I was getting a free upgrade to 500Mb from the current 240Mb. They haven't run the fibre yet so I guess this is on the cable, maybe to dissuade me from jumping ship when the fibre does arrive…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,802 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I got that email myself today. A nice surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,501 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They cleaned up the really old sub-240mbit speeds a while ago; presumably excepting any areas with speed restrictions. Wonder if they'll ever bump the 250mbit customers; 68 quid for just internet is obscene at that price.

• Advertisement

TBH I don't care about the speed - I've never found 240Mb too slow even with 3 teenagers in the house. I want it cheaper!

First full day for me and all the changeover for devices have been done. Getting no issues around the house and even tried it down the back of the garden wirelessly with my Google speaker and all is good.

For me the VM router on 1gb has a stronger signal in all parts of the house but I can’t complain with Sky’s one that’s installed. As previously posted my router is in the front of home in the kitchen and I’d have preferred it in the sitting room to hardwire my Sky Q etc.

Work was about 2 hours installing and the guy who done it has it nice and neat etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,501 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got the 500mbit email today, active in a week.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I got the 500mb email from Virgin a few days ago too, up from 360. Ironically Eir FTTH became available in my building a few weeks ago.

1gig FTTH for half the price I’m currently paying for 500mb Virgin DOCSIS, they can kiss me goodbye with their constant price increases.

Sidenote - has anyone experienced issues trying to stream radio channels on their wi-fi speaker with Sky that's from Ireland?

Checked my IP address online and its saying Dublin - Ireland but online with Tune in its saying no access to say RTE or Radio Nova. BBC has no issues……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Yeah getting " This Station is not available in your country" via Tune In on both Lappy & Google Nest within my home using Sky's new 1GB fibre - as previously posted an IP check is on the button for Dublin - Ireland.

1st world issues eh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Having the same issue at my parents house and Sky tech support was terrible so going to use the cooling off period and switch to another provider. I rang support 4 times and every time was equally poor. They might have outsourced it since we were with Sky in the past I'm not sure. RTE Player doesn't work for alot of programmes and Virgin Player doesn't work at all. Not leaving it to chance to find more and more problems to then be stuck in contract

^^ Seen a post on Sky’s forum about it and it looks like it’s an issue for everyone in Ireland.

Weird eh

Did SKY give an update on when it might be resolved? I presume there's no issues with RTE player etc.

What are your speeds like, particularly the upload?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

See the way the mention up to 10GBPS. I've only ever heard of people getting 1gbps. Do you have to be a business or college to get higher?

No update from Sky as of yet but it’s a widespread issue in Ireland.

Speeds are no problem. 550 in the same room wirelessly - that obviously gets down so 200 in the furthest parts of the house.

Upload speed is off the charts - well over 100.

Have to hook it into a lappy to see the real speeds but I’m having zero issues across the house.

RTE player and Now Ireland won’t work at all, it’s a weird one since an IP checker is saying Dublin on mine. Radio channels on my Google speaker too won’t work from Ireland. BBC will.

Not so sure about this but Viasat on you tube that apparently only streamed the live nations games for UK viewers was working fine on my YT.

Weird form a big company but speeds etc have no issues

Advertisement