Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

1376377378379380382»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Leaf battery degradation could be increased rapidly in such a use case. What is the cost of the bi-directional charger unit ? Would it work with something better than a Leaf ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,820 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Sorry, €13k for a Leaf with 13kWh remaining? That math doesn't work, you can get a Leaf with a better battery for half that

The V2G charger will cost several thousand, there were only a few made and you couldn't get them here. An energy company in the UK was selling them, OVO, but you had to sign up to a particular tariff

I'm not sure how well they work independently, they seemed to depend on the tariff information to know when to charge and discharge

On top of that the installation costs would probably be closer to a PV inverter, so that needs to be factored in

Add it all together and I still reckon it doesn't work out much cheaper than just getting the car and a home PV system with battery

V2G is a great idea in theory but no-one seems to be able to implement it in a cost effective manner at the moment. Personally I think Hyundai have the right idea by just putting a 3kW inverter into the car so you can use the battery when you're out and about or in a power cut

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah V2G at the heart of it has the same internals PV inverter...

It connects to the battery directly, (can be 400 or 800v, but I think the 800v ones have a 400v mode...)

Solar panel strings sit about 4-500v.

CCS2 has the bidirectional option in the standard, but not implemented much yet. And the chargers are rare. It's also an inverter so would fall under an nc6 in regards to the esb.

To the person you originally replied to, it would be cheaper to get a 15kWh battery and an hybrid inverter installed than a bi directional charger.. even if you could get it installed!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is there some rule/reg about bidirectional chargers at the moment?

I think there was a consultation on IS10101 to make an amendment to allow for them?

Are they allowed at present?

• Advertisement

I've often reckoned the simpler and possibly cheaper option would be a DC-DC converter to step the battery voltage down to something the inverter can use on the DC side

Then you can leverage an existing PV system instead of trying to bolt on another expensive inverter to the system

It would also make charging from PV more efficient because the conversion losses would be smaller

Of course there's drawbacks, such as running an 800V DC cable to your attic. I imagine there's some stricter regs in that case

In general CCS plugs are more expensive as well so you'd have a very expensive charger sitting beside the car

Still....if you had a 40A rated cable it would be pretty cool to have 32kW if instant power available for charging your home battery and supplying your house and dumping to the grid. Anyone with free workplace charging would be laughing all the way to the bank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Is there a thread on getting a battery only installation done? That would really interest me.

Renewables forum is probably the place to ask, although most of the same people post here as well so you shouldn't have trouble getting answers

https://www.boards.ie/categories/renewable-energies

To try and answer, you'd be looking at a PV installation but without the panels?

It's literally that, hybrid inverter with a battery attached. You charge it at night and then it discharges during the day until empty

It can definitely be done but unless there's a reason you can't put panels on your roof then it's probably better to get panels as well if you can

It's pretty hard to beat the magic glass that makes electricity for free 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭zg3409

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ahem. Ionity may have had the same, "problem" here for a couple of years.

• Advertisement

VW We Charge now refuse to take Revolut cards for pretty much that exact reason

Of course it could also have something to do with their billing system being all over the place, but why look inwards when you can shift a problem outwards?

I don't mind the preauthorisation payment, but I've noticed some networks are quicker to return the money than others. It can take anything from a few minutes to a couple of days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭cannco253

Just came across this page on the IEVA website, might be of interest to some.

https://www.irishevassociation.ie/infrastructure-updates

Last Updated: 09/09/2024

Someone from IEVA has been spying on this forum 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭CoBo55

No that would be the gods of Vanilla

They're a temperamental bunch, often requiring a lot of prayers and sacrifices to get the quote button to work 😂

On a side note, I assume IEVA is the successor to IEVOA? I know some folks here were members of the latter (and pretty cynical about the organisation)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I was on the committee of the IEVOA years ago (during the judean peoples front phase). I assume the IEVA is the result of the IEVOA vs IEVO group.

The IEVOA wasnt all bad (I won their dublin to cork and back rally, which, without hubs or ionity was actually a big deal then) but they struggled to get anything done and weren't receptive to change. Think of a bunch of county council staff and a bunch of pensioners trying to all work together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,859 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/article/2024/sep/10/the-10-best-electric-cars-to-buy-if-you-want-to-avoid-tesla

I exploded tea out of my nose from laughing at the Judean people's front comment 🤣

I think IEVOA always had the issue thay they had to walk a fine line with ESB when they were basically the only game in town

They obviously wanted to ask for more chargers but if they asked too many difficult questions then ESB would just start ignoring them and talk to a more friendly owners group

Still, I think they were probably a bit too soft on ESB at times.

Luckily we've a few more providers in the mix now so advocacy groups can afford to speak more freely

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭quattro777

Who makes the best 3 phase chargers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I have a garo 11kwh 3 phase single socket and an evbox 22kwh 3 phase with a double socket.

None of our cars can charge at 22kwh on AC so the evbox just allows 2 cars take 11kwh simultaneously.

I couldn't fault either of them to be honest, I prefer the Garo we have because it is tethered the evbox is untethered but both work perfectly fine and have been very reliable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement