Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland General Discussion Thread 2024 [use match threads for games]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Name is Harry Arter just get that right at least .

Mod edit. Post this was a reply to was deleted.

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭moon madness

I don't know who the right man is but we've got the wrong one

Needs to know kelleher is his goalkeeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭MFPM

Irrespective of the veracity of that, it's nothing to do with Rice declaring for England.

Mod: post this was a reply to was deleted

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I see tickets aren't quiet so expensive for the Greece game. 55 each compared to 90 each for the England game.

id nearly go for 55 but we will probably get outplayed and loose 2 nil again.

Our biggest issue is we cant get the ball into the box to the strikers, our players make that task look impossible, and then we the ball breaks to one of out players in the box by accident, they cant even hit the target, unless its opposition like Andorra.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A selection of Facebook comments on a discussion on Matt Doherty

He is not fit to wear jersey

He is the worse professional footballer that ever lived

He an absolute fraud of a player! Pish poor excuse for a footballer that doesn't warrant to be close to any team. Hopefully he never recalled

He should never play for Ireland again. He's been crap all along.

6 decent months at Wolves and everyone thought he was the answer to all the teams problems , worst body language in a player I've seen! Piss poor arrogance and mentality, never did understand the 'hype'

One of the worst professional players I’ve seen, dreadful how he’s played premier leauge and international I’ll never know . Waste of space.

He's a waste of space shouldn't be anywhere near the squad

He’s a pile of shite

I thought he was good yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Could you imagine if England had managed to nab Haaland. Suppose we can take comfort in the fact they didn't and let them have Rice and Grealish scoring against us than them having a player that could enable them to win stuff.

Anyways on a more serious note, albeit I find it strange the fact JOS picked this team I can at least be positive for the future under the new manager. We have reasons to be positive, maybe not as many as we'd like but it can't get worse before it gets better surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Dan Steely

The loudest voices in Rice's ear were Statler and Waldorf at West Ham.

I think I have seen him play 1 good game for Ireland. he isnt the same player we saw at spurs and wolves when he pulls on the Irish shirt, he just walks with the ball, never really runs like he does when playing for his club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The models are totally different in Rugby and GAA at the top club/county levels and this is probably where the biggest issues are exposed. Player wages don't exist in intercounty football and any player related expenses are broadly covered by the state. Irish Rugby pays the majority of the wages of the top Irish players playing for the provinces. Generally the top provinces and counties are very very well supported from a match going fan perspective and more importantly there is generally much more of a connection between the fan and the county/province they support for envious reasons.

There are some fundamental differences at play and while, as I said above,the FAI have been a basket case Soccer will remain the poor cousin.

But yes, based on past history tis hard see why anyone would invest too much in soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Exactly. Some clubs could be trusted well if allocated this funding but others would just pìss it away.

Clubs need to sort themselves out before any money could be given.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Dundalk for example are on the verge of collapse only a few years after getting millions for europa league group phase payments.

Shelbourne are also coming back after a long period in the doldrums after over spending. Sporting Fingal is another one.

Galway United aswell back better than before. Pouring money into the mess that was Salthill Devon/Mervue/SD Galway wouldn't have been great use of FAI funds. What about UCD who are essentially just a development team for students plus maybe the odd veteran. Then when Shamrock Rovers had their B team in the league, would Shamrock Rovers get twice the payments?

The League is not stable enough to be trusted. Whats gone on at Dundalk is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Tom1991

I See Canham promoted off the back of his stellar work in the manager search.

Like a real life Dougal from father ted he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

This John O'Shea thing is gonna turn into a handy excuse whenever something negative happens. He'll get blamed next when the team bus is late.

At the end of the day the buck stops with the manager. He's the one that gets paid the big money to make these decisions. If he's happy to let O'Shea and McCarthy have more of a say this window the buck also still stops with him.

He's now seen how we play up close and personal so if we go out Tuesday and play the same way again the buck stops with him not O'Shea and McCarthy.

This isn't a negative HH and positive O'Shea post because I was cool with the appointment of HH and was also vocal about O'Shea not being involved with the current set-up.

I remember you mentioning him at the end of last season so kept an eye out for him at the start of this season and must have been injured in pre season.

Missed their first three games and played three, two sub appearances and a start.

Definitely has the attributes that would have suited HHs Iceland so hopefully the manager is keeping tabs on him.

It's also a bit unfair to label him as x number of choice given he was employed with a contract for another two years when the FAI began their search.

Wouldn't have been on their radar given they would've needed to pay off his contract with Jamaica.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

I agree, its easy for HH to blame JOS as its a hard start but I would hope most people see it as the buck stopping with the manager. If your trusting your assistant then fine but thats still your fault. We wont know in reality where we are until the end of the nations league but yesterday was worse than any of SK games against the bigger teams IMO and we very much looked back to aimless long balls.

Festy has been called up as a replacement for Coleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Agree 100%

I'd hope HH would show a Jack Charlton attitude of stamping his authority day one and not being afraid if some took offence

Very early days and willing to assume we will see him take full control on team selection sooner rather than later..

The FAI selection process wasnt ideal for anyone incoming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Thank the FAI. Football in this country has never been run properly.

The IRFU and GAA are competent well run organisations. I don't begrudge other sports their facilities. They get things done, they innovate, they have all the right systems in place.

The FAI has always been a sh!tshow by comparison.

The sad part is, as others have said, even if everything was fixed today with academies and money and the league it would be decades before we would see the real benefits.

This is the price Irish fans are paying for the Delaney era and every era leading up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The problem is the kids playing soccer are not only watching the EPL and Europe but their parents are spending money on EPL and European soccer, be that merchandise, TV subscriptions, tickets etc.

And when these kids grow up they will be spending the their money on the EPL and European soccer.

They are not spending the their money on Irish soccer, and likely never will.

The reason why it looks like the GAA get lots of money from the government is because they have deep support.

What I mean by deep support is that the game is supported at all levels, there are people following it at every level of the game.

Today thousands of people went to local GAA games, senior, intermediate, junior.

The cumulative numbers far outweigh the cumulative numbers going to soccer.

With any government grant to sports group the sports group has to show how much they can raise themselves, they can't solely rely on government handouts

The GAA, because of their deep support have much better fundraising options than soccer, and thus can get the government grants approved easier.

Soccer can't do that to the same level because most people who claim to be soccer fans are spending their money on foreign soccer, and I argue that most who claim to be soccer fans spend more money on their local GAA than their local soccer club.

• Advertisement

While your slating the LOI with some valid comments to be fair. The English system is 1 bad tv deal from collapse. Most clubs making losses year on year, Everton could be gone before Dundalk. A little bit of perspective, its not just the LOI where you end up with bad business men running clubs.

Dundalk is the perfect example of a badly run club selling to bad owners

I am a huge LOI fan but in reality i would give the club the money to spend freely. It should be centralised and controlled to only be spent on academy development and academy coaches. Submit the budget in advance and you get that as long you meet certain criteria and standards. The first sign of something dodgy at a club pull the funding. IMO ot would be very easy to implement.

The mess in Galway actually came from a positive development, the A league. Who knew 2 very good junior clubs with a history of player development were ambitious.

Slagging off UCD is ridiculous, everyone in the LOI know what they give young players, absolutely have a place in the league.

Rover B- twice the payments for what? The league has been the most stable is been for years.

Whats your solution? Easy slag off the LOI but its exactly that attitude that has the senior team where we are now

Does anyone think anything can be done to improve the midfield or should we just get new midfielders in? and if so, who do we get in? is the andrew moran guy good enough?

Basically paying amateur clubs and B team clubs the same as professional clubs to implement youth reform is insane. Shamrock Rovers had two teams to try to fill out the first division and while Mervue and Salthill were ambitious they were not competitive Galway did not have enough player pool for 2 decent teams. Not until the merged-ish SD Galway came about anyway. I wasn't slagging UCD just stating they already function more so as an academy than a professional team, which actually has great benefits tbh.

Mervue were competitive and finished mid table a few times, I should know I was part of the team.

Shamrock Rover B no longer exist and youth coaches at underage level cost the same. Doesnt mean everyone gets paid the same, the FAI plan on grading the academies and funding will be based on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Could we not setup a county based league? Like the GAA. Although Dublin could be split N/S at inception.

Or would it by like the Welsh rugby teams and ultimately ruin the local clubs?

I feel like there's so little support fpr most LOI teams as is that a county based keague/team could take off once the money was there from government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

The league is sort of county based as it is outside of the Dublin teams and in a professional league the GAA style system would fall apart very quickly because players would leave the smaller counties very quickly and move to the bigger better paying ones. Hell I'd even say with the current state of the inter-county game the GAA would look to amalgamate some of the smaller counties if they could get away with it due to their uncompetitiveness.

The rugby franchise system worked in that sport because the structures were been created at the time so they had a clean slate. That isn't the case in football and also who would they play against? All the other countries have well defined league pyramids, they ain't going to let these franchises in and why should they. And for all the undoubted success of the Irish setup, the franchise system hasn't worked in Scotland or Wales or Italy really. In fact bar France no other country seems to be able to sustain a professional rugby club competition judging by some of the issues in the English rugby premiership.

Also your current plan would destroy years of history of the current clubs plus there's no guarantee whatsoever that people would support a county based system. Indeed currently it is the four main Dublin clubs that are recording the highest attendances in the league and some of the highest FAI Cup Final attendance have been been for ties between Dublin clubs.

Now there's some merit to setting up regional based academy structures that feed the clubs but are separate entities from them. Wouldn't be my ideal plan but I can see why it would be an option. However destroying the current league structure on the vague hopes that a county or franchise system would work is a hard pass from me.

• Advertisement

But where is the market for it ?

Kerry FC are in their second season, they probably average less than 1,000 per home game, they finished bottom last year and are second bottom to this year.

There were decent crowds early on but they started to go down after a few months.

One would wonder how long they can stay in the league with the expense of it.

Mayo are due to join in a few years and I can't see it being any different for them.

Simple answer is no. Kildare county tried it and it was a mess. Some clubs going that way but long term I dont see it working. Many clubs too well established.

The LOI doesnt need huge numbers to thrive, its thriving now. Some clubs averaging 10k, 7k, 5k 3k will work fine, look at the SPL. What the league needs is some respect, investment and a proper TV deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭floorpie

Don't expect big changes against Greece as Hallgrimsson maintains back-seat role (msn.com)

This is bizarre

Such is O’Shea’s influence, he will conduct Monday’s pre-match press conference rather than Hallgrimsson. This will flout Uefa’s competition rules, which mandate that the head coach attends the press conference held the day before the match. 

Hallgrimsson also said he hoped to have more “authority when time goes on”,  but the FAI subsequently got in touch to clarify he instead meant to say “more knowledge.”

Yeah they asked for an exception for this window as it was his first camp. HH has said next window he probably will rely on them too. Would have been cheaper to just let O'Shea and McCarthy do the job.

Though knowing the FAI they'd probably wave given O'Shea at least €550K as the actual manager which would be mental. Would barely even be worth half that salary.

If any exceptions are sought for next month alarm bells should ring about who is actually the manager. Whatever about wanting to let O'Shea do some stuff a manager might do (MON had Keane who did plenty of talking instead of MON), but don't see what's really stopping him doing the pre match press conference. Even if it's his first camp.

OK so the structure/admin of LOI is OK as far as people who support it are concerned?

It just needs money? Can the government tie a sports development type grant to all the LOI clubs where funding is ringfenced for youth academy setups only?

Maybe other stipulations to be purely beneficial to the national interests etc.

Wouldd that break any UEFA rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

We could try playing 3 of them and ditch the back 5 / back 3 cos the players struggle with their roles imo.

We should play something like:

GK: Kelleher

RB: O'Shea. CB: Omobamidele. CB: Collins. LB: Scales

CM: Knight. CM: Molumby. CM: Smallbone

RW: Ogbene. CF: Ferguson (Parrott if Ferguson can't start). LW: Szmodics

What we'll probably get is:

GK: Kelleher

RWB: Doherty. CB: O'Shea. CB: O'Brien. CB: Collins. LWB: O'Dowda

CM: Browne. CM: Molumby

RW: Ogbene. CF: Idah. LW: Szmodics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Don't think MON let Roy do the talking (as well as select the squad, and possibly the team and system) in his first bloody window.

I suppose letting O'Shea pick the squad is to a degree understandable this time around. But he's talking about how he'll probably leave it to O'Shea pick the squad next time around too? That's a bit much imo. Surely he should have an idea once he's been watching the players at their clubs for 2 months or so.

Really he should be arriving with a plan/structure on how he wants to play.

You've a list of players eligible and osheas local knowledge should be getting tapped for who he reckons is the best player for that particular role.

It's definitely a bit wild to be so keen to deflect responsibility/ownership onto OShea.

HH getting paid for what exactly ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Apparently he's quite an adaptable manager, rather than being too dogmatic. Has his defensive mindset, and intention to make the most of possession, but doesn't have a definitive set formation he has to play. Seems more about doing what best suits the players we have to find that solidity and goalscoring capability. Which is a good thing. Dogma at all costs doesn't work with a limited playing pool.

Not gonna get too upset or read too much into a few press conferences at this stage. It's clear he was the one taking training and getting across his values. The rest will take care of itself as he spends more time with them and gets his own sense of their attributes and personalities for himself. Realistically everything is bollocks in international football until you have at least two full proper windows anyway, there's just no time to make anything significant stick before then. Which is of course why it was a bit of a disaster getting someone so late, as those two friendly windows would've been invaluable, but we are where we are and hopefully we can cobble together a few results in the meantime before the longer term approach is properly embedded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Well at least Kelleher has stated he wants to, and wanted to, leave to play. Performances like Saturday will help too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Sometimes small issues can spiral out of control...

JOS "The boss is the boss", but he is nowhere to be seen....😟 (At the official pre match conference, where he is supposed to be)

Post edited by ForestFire on

To be honest with this little time together, it's probably better spent with the players or coaches or basically anywhere other than with the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Dogsdodogsstuff

Have you any data that confirms that as it’s not easy to find?

Chat GBT suggests that rough estimates is similar up to age 15.

Again, this suggests that children naturally goto soccer as much as Gaelic and the lack of infrastructure would explain why as they get older they’d not be as involved. And as I said , GAa is unique to Ireland so of course we would have the most supported sport as we have the best players/teams in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It’s embarrassing. He saw the team play first-hand on Saturday, has surely watched a few videos of previous games…just pick the damn team and show some ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭rodders999

The optics are horrendous. O Shea picking the team, doing the press conferences and no doubt making the subs too.

Any manager worth his salt comes in and puts his stamp on proceedings from day one. There’s a serious bang of weakness about the whole thing so far and the players won’t be long picking up the scent.

The guy appears to be completely out of his depth - only a matter of time before he’s forced to come out with - “I’m the boss, I’m the gaffer. At the end of the day what I say goes. The buck stops with me” a la Stan.

Spoofer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I think I heard him on interview after he got the job saying he won't be attending many matches to watch players live

You talk like the players are looking at this from the outside, same as us - they're the ones on the inside and know what the actual experience is. We're the ones jumping to conclusions based on snippets of information.

I honestly can't believe how quick so many people are to jump on a new manager. Literally days after his first time meeting the majority of the players. I would say the communication to the outside world has been poor, but ultimately that's irrelevant. All that matters is what's happening in the training and strategy sessions, where we already know he's very much taken the lead. It's just totally pointless coming to any serious conclusions or opinions before we've had two windows.

In his first press conference he definitely said he would be going to watch players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

why is he hiding from the press like a weak dog?

Yeah, sure why would we want him making the most of this brief valuable time by working with the players the day before their next match - he should be strung up on a platform so the more deranged members of the public and media can throw rotten veggies at him.

Post-match pressers have some value (which he did). Pre-match pressers are utterly pointless, and in context a massive waste of time that could be much better spent working (which was explained during the presser itself).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

O'Shea being used as a mudguard.

Had we got a result on Saturday this wouldn't be happening.

How so? All the questions about the performance against England were faced by HH after the match in the post match presser. Today's one is just the mundane pointlessness of injury reports, and obviously unanswerable questions about changes of tactics etc. There's never any juice to be had in pre-match ones (which is why the very fact that O'Shea was the one to give it is literally the only bit of a story to come out of it, despite the fact it was quickly and clearly explained that it had long since been planned and ok'd that HH would spend the day working with the players).

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭rodders999

No showing the press conference in isolation is no big deal, it’s coming off the back of the news that O Shea all but named the squad for these 2 games, then seemed to be the de facto manager on Saturday with Hallgrimsson taking a back seat (which apparently is also the plan for tomorrow) that’s causing all the furore.

The players aren’t training or doing tactical/video sessions all day, there’s plenty of down time which could be scheduled around the press conference if need be. He’s not with them 24/7, it’s absolute nonsense to argue he couldn’t be prized away from the group for 30 minutes to do media duties, as he is obliged to do as manager.

O Shea then gets thrown to the wolves and has to spend more time answering questions about where the manager is than he does about the tomorrow’s game.

As I said earlier it’s weak leadership, he’s the manger, just in the door - step up and own it, stop hiding behind O Shea and take control of the situation (he knew this was brewing and still sent O Shea out).

He needs to stamp his authority on this job starting tomorrow because he’s already lost control of the narrative after 3 days.

it’s absolute nonsense to argue he couldn’t be prized away from the group for 30 minutes to do media duties, as he is obliged to do as manager.

And if he took 30 minutes to talk to the media people would be saying he should be on the training pitch getting to know this team better.

I'm willing to wait until the end of the tournament to made a judgement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'm not going to judge Heimir yet but if we were to lose tomorrow night it's a fairly dismal start, especially if he goes with the same formation as the other night (O'Sheas tactics).

He has only been with the players a few days which I understand, but the man has probably earned about 100k off the FAI so far and doesn't seem to have gone to watch any or many of our players in the UK and is relying totally on the previous coaches for tactical instruction. He needs to put a mark down at some point and show why he was chosen, if it's not tomorrow then OK but next window at the very latest.

There are some players that need to be dropped as a statement such as Doherty and/or Brady (understand that leaves us very light at wing back). Losing 2-0 to England isn't a catastrophic result, to be expected if anything, but the fact the players didn't seem to buy into the occasion at all was hugely disappointing. We haven't been outclassed like that against a top team in a long time.

Advertisement