Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holiday Let and Retirement

• 20-08-2024 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

My wife and I live abroad and are considering buying a home in a seaside town in Ireland. We are thinking we would find an agency to manage the house as a holiday let until we are ready to retire in about 5 years and move back.

We aren't looking for any type of income stream with the holiday let. It is more about keeping the house lived in rather than empty all the time. Also, we are looking outside of RPZ's so I don't think that will be an issue.

I know it's a bit of a vague plan but I'd be very interested in any thoughts or feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hontou

Ireland isn't very organised in terms of agencies that manage holiday lets in my experience of looking for the same recently. I know there are professional hosts on Airbnb that a friend used in Dublin but that all ended with the RPZ rules. You may have difficulty finding a reliable 'host' or agency that will manage the cleaning turn around and be available to manage plumbers, electricians etc. What if your 'host' is sick or unavailable and you have a complaint? You are better off, in my opinion, leaving it empty or letting it full time through an agency but then your tenants will have part four rights. I'm in a similar situation as you with an empty house that I cannot sell as it is on family land and I don't want to rent long term because of brutal anti landlord conditions in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭3DataModem

OP, I'd suggest in the first instance looking at some of the luxury lettings in popular international destinations like Kenmare, Killarney, Connemara, etc… that will give you some idea of how these are being managed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The holiday season in Ireland is very short. You might only be let for 10 weeks of the year! When you eventually return a holiday let may not be the most suitable accommodation for you in retirement. many holiday resorts are remote from hospitals and some don't even have a doctor. Not ideal for an elderly person.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭PhotogTom

Good points. Thanks. It may mean a long term let makes better sense. We'll have to give it some thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭flyer_query

Also consider tax. Assuming you are not Irish tax resident:

Irish tax; you will have to file an irish tax return. You will have your Irish income tax band and credits available so you will likely not hit the marginal (high) tax rate but you will still have tax to pay. Your profit will consist of rental income less expenses incurred when property is available for renting (even if vacant for some of the year) which would include things like agency fees, mortgage interest (not capital payments only rental income), repairs, even a flight over to check property, capital allowances on fixtures and fittings (eg washing machine, fridge but not fixed items like windows or carpets) out etc).

Local tax return: you will also likely have to include your rental profit here. You should also be allowed to include the irish tax paid as a deduction via double taxation relief.

Overall a good idea as you should be able to buy a property and if you are letting out as airbnb type thing you should have access (you will need to disallow this % from your expenses - eg you live in for 1mth then you only get to deduct 11/12 of your expenses). You would also be able to get a tax deduction for your capital allowances so when you move home eventually you should have a fitted out property.

Also consider selling in the future in case you are not happy with it. As it will not have been your main global residence for all your ownership you will be liable for capital gains tax of 33% on any uplift on the price for the period it was not your main global residence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭PhotogTom

Thanks. Just the way it is but it sucks having to make so many decisions based on tax consequences.

As I mentioned, we aren't really looking at it as an income producing project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,679 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why not just buy a house in 5 years ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Because the current market is gaining 8% a year. Based on that trend continuing a €300,000 house (not much of a stretch of the imagination taking into account tax fees furniture floors and immediate renovations) after 5 years that is €440,780 plus rent at conservatory €2,400 is 144,000. So 300k now plus 144k potential rent over 5 years and €440 k for a potential house in 5 years? Assuming the market doesnt collapse is a fairly amazing investment.

Watch the "Right to accommodation" being inserted in the constitution. That is happening very quietly for sometime (Its at its second reading). Read it as a skeptical world and not a University Student fresh out of the Students union just after discovering Karl Marx……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Villa05

Have you considered

the impact of demand in 5years time purchasing now

The impact of WFH on on tourist area prices. Will there be pushback on WFH

Multiple ftb grants for purchasers which I assume you would not qualify for. Will the state always have the money to maintain these price supports

If people are buying to leave empty because they are afraid of renting, that will leave alot of stock to hit the market in the event of a downturn

Alot of frought in the market that is unaffordable to the majority, plus market dynamics that may not exist in 5 years time

Have you considered Sligo, bit of a hidden gem, strong off season student demand plus tourist season also Tralee, Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,374 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Part IV itself will not affect the Op under the scenario as presented where they will require the house for their personal use to move back to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭JVince

"investments can go up and down"

Don't make the decision on what may or may not happen on price.

Your personal circumstances can change in a 5 year timeframe, so unless you have a plan b, don't do it.

On the flip side, many holiday homes are let out long term and councils do little to stop it due to the housing issue.

So if buying, rent it as normal and when you need it issue a notice of termination - ideally let the renters know your plans.

Advertisement