Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland General Discussion Thread 2024 [use match threads for games]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Players didn't buy into the occasion? How so? I can't say I saw that anyway. Tbh a big part of the problem in the first half hour especially was the players were overhyped and actually far too amped up by the occasion. As Hallgrimsson mentioned, some players were rushing into making individual actions, getting caught up in the emotion, rather than sticking to structure and working as a unit.

It'll be disappointing if we don't get a result tomorrow. But already going for a new managers throat after a few days and two games in quick succession is crazy stuff. Feels like some people are getting a bit too caught up in editorialisations, rather than having a bit of calm and common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

A result? Greece will definitely beat us. I heard someone on radio today say Greece are more our level, this is wrong, we are below them by some distance.

They're better than us for sure, but I wouldn't say by so much that a loss is inevitable. Home advantage gives us a chance of a result at least. (Though I don't personally believe 'definitelys' have much of a place in talk of prospective results. Football's mad, and you can never say never.)

I would usually agree but this Irish team is so weak, they way they tried to defend against England was shocking, if you saw under 10's defend like that you would be annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I'm from Greece and follow our National team somewhat. Probably Greece is a better team, not sure though "by some distance". We have changed manager after the unsuccessful play off for the Euros, so there is a bit of transition as well, though there was a more solid starting point. I think Greece might play for two results as realistically both teams play for second in the group.

Anyway, very conflicting loyalties for me tomorrow, as Ireland has been my home for many years now. Just hoping for a good game. 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭reclose

HH has brought this scrutiny on himself. I’ve never heard of a manager in a job two months and not be able to pick a squad.

Two months is plenty of time to watch videos of our players.

Can anyone give me an example of when this has happened before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

The point is......

"UEFA regulations state the manager/head coach must speak to the media on eve of game, barring suspension" and "O’Shea was adamant that he was neither the boss nor did he consider his position as a leading role.”

Its not that big an ask that the new Manager attends to answer some mundane questions, sending out JOS just add fuel to the small embers already out there, on this backseat stuff.

Still willing to give him time, but as I already said, things can quickly spiral out out control....

Was this part of the big deal to get JOS as assistant in the first place, as if he had his own, he'd definitely have to face the media.

Will he be out in full force after the game, how long is the break to the next fixtures, as this could fester in the media with the vacuum, rightly or wrongly.

It's already been well established (literally in the presser you're quoting) that the FAI got special dispensation for this.

“This plan was in place beforehand and it’s obviously to give the boss as much time in terms of preparation, the quick turn-around in the games. That was always the case so there is no change in anything.”

I never knew lads were so fixated on who takes pre-match pressers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

dispensation from Who and Where does it say this? Maybe I'm missing something?

The Plan is from who? HH when he took the Job, but wanted a nice easy introduction, for the first difficult games.

The plan from the FAI?

Was it agreed with UEFA, or just their own internal plan, that they are now telling us about?

As I said the new manager should be out to talk to the media the Fans and take control and responsibility and SHOW leadership.

Edit…The parallels are already been drawn…

Post edited by ForestFire on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Special permission = sick note from his mam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭rodders999

Exactly. If you were made manager of Iraq tomorrow (3 places above us in the FIFA rankings I’ll have you know) and had 2 months to prepare for the first game you’d spend the time doing a huge amount of preparation. Making up a fact sheets on every player, have a look to see who’s in form and who's not, who are the up and coming players to build towards the future and who are the lads on the decline you need to phase out.

You’d go to watch a few games and get scouting reports and video analysis of players in matches you couldn’t get to see in the flesh.

The expectation would be that you’d turn up on game day one well prepared, with a fairly broad knowledge of your entire squad and a clear idea of the makeup and shape of your team as well as a clear style of football you wanted to implement going forward.

If you rocked up and announced you were leaving it all to your assistant and were just going to observe the goings on for a bit there would be serious questions asked that’s for sure.

€650,000 a year he’s on, thats 54 grand a month, meaning he’s trousered 108k so far and all we’ve got to show for it is “let the other guy do it”.

Abysmal “management”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭TokTik

Maybe he’s just giving O’Shea enough rope to do himself. After the window tell the FAI, this lad knows nothing, I need to bring in my own people?? Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Scratch that transfer unavailable for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Maybe a wrong choice of words by me, but I guess I meant that compared to previous games where big nations have come to town we've always managed to make a competitive game out of it. Yet after 10 minutes on Saturday that was not the case.

I'll be giving HH until the end of the nations league before really casting judgement on him, overall I'm still happy he was given the job ahead of some of the others linked. But it probably hasn't been something I've thought about much that we could actually get worse than we were under Kenny. Hopefully not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Anyone expecting more than the one change to JOS's starting 11?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Idah I think should be rested for robinson or parrot...odom will come in for coleman I'd imagine. I'd say the they won't risk starting Ferguson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Was OShea not his choice? If not surely he could have put conditions on bringing in his own choice of getting the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

He was announced in July, and it doesn’t really feel like he’s prepared at all for these games, just come in and decided to defer to O’Shea to get a feel for the players instead of spending the last few weeks coming up with an idea of our players and how he wants to setup.

Deferring the presser might not be a big deal practically, but it’s a ridiculous look for a new manager. Nobody’s going to be too harsh on him for losing to England in his first game so it shouldn’t be a big deal for him to answer football questions for 30 minutes. Again, maybe he feels unprepared to answer questions about players he’s not too familiar with but if that’s the case then that’s on him, he had plenty of time to at least learn something about our players.

Having O’Shea do it just raises questions about what this guy is actually for and who’s actually in charge, which he’s really brought on himself.

I really can't understand the big deal about this… the reality is it's more like the guts of 2 hours away from training between the comings and goings of everything, right in the middle of the day. He answered questions in the presser after the match 2 days ago. He'll answer questions in the presser after the match tomorrow. Everyone knows there's nothing of value in a pre-match presser. Like, literally nothing came from today's one, aside from this non-story of a manager staying to coach his players in this all-too-short window the day before a game.

Like, does anyone actually care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

The presser by itself isn’t an issue at all, but considering it feels like he has done very little prep work and has given huge “it’s my first day” vibes for the last few days it’s just another part of an odd start as manager.

We’re used to seeing managers come into clubs at a moments notice and taking on these duties and putting some small stamp of direction of how they want their players to play, do pre and post match interviews, basically put themselves into a position of authority as soon as possible, so it’s odd seeing someone come in and basically have his assistant do the job while he settles in. Saturday we saw nothing that would suggest any difference to how he might like to play(small point, one game and far better opposition), it felt like an O’Shea team. And we can’t really get a sense of that from interviews either because he’s not doing them.

I don’t have the pitchforks out or anything, it’s early days and I think he has the right profile for us based on his CV, but I would hope we’re not as directionless tomorrow night, and even if we lose, we get some idea of what he thinks we should be doing. He’s employed as manager for the next 17 months which won’t be a lot of games, so the longer he relies on O’Shea the worse it’ll look.

• Advertisement

I think there's a huge inference there on the editorialised version of reality rather than maybe what is actually the case on the ground in the camp. He said he's leaning on his assistant who has worked with the players before and knows them well - he specifically talked about their personalities with this, rather than just their footballing attributes. That makes sense to me. From actually watching him speak rather than reading summary articles of journos with a need to fill space, I don't at all get the impression he's just passing everything off. He's spending time with the players themselves and making the most of the window. On the reference to club managers - that's a different kettle of fish. It's a day in day out job. Today was literally the last proper training session he'll have with them for a month.

I also wouldn't quite say it felt like an O'Shea team - it more felt like the only Ireland team that most of these players have ever played in. O'Shea just continued what Kenny was doing for the most part. That's all most of these lads have known at international level together, so it's just going to take time to change - and certainly more time than the few days they've had together so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I wonder if it will still have been a purely observational brief from the new fella if we somehow beat Greece.

Don't worry John, I'll take this one….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Well in fairness it's not going to change if it stays the same.

If they're picking Stephen Kenny's team to play then they're preparing the team to the beat of Kenny's drum. Do we have to wait for a game that isn't important to start making changes, because that might be a while.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

He took the post match after the England game and has said he will after this also.

This is a complete storm in a tea cup, with bored journos fanning the flames.

The hyperbole on the SC podcast with the two "contributors" was beyond riduclous - a massive deal made of engagement with the media and why they also brought up some other issues I dont think any were fair at this specific point in time.

Post edited by kippy on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

I am finding it difficult to be optimistic, and worry Greece are in fact quite good and maybe even better than last time around, while it is very tough to know where we are. As I said before I'll be happy enough to give him some time, but I'm not sure the wider public have any patience left to give. Not just because of the England match, but probably *gestures at everything* since Champaign football, there has been little joy, the WNT qualifying for a world cup aside. These are angry times we live in, try not to be too worked up no matter what happens, it can still get better :D 

If it gets worse and we end up in league C, at least we will have probably hit rock bottom, and have an opportunity to begin the climb again. I've been banging the we need massive investment domestically, to have any real long term success drum for a long time, and that is still where I stand, much else is rearranging deckchairs on the titanic. A 4-2-3-1 formation would make me at least feel like we're trying stuff thou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Kind of sick of listening to Damian Delaney constantly pointing out what a manager should have done.

It is a storm in a teacup, but it's reflective of everything these days; people constantly frothing at the mouth about everything constantly and in perpetuity.

Let's see how we go tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Five Eighth

New manager will have his work cut out just to make us hard to beat.

Too many average players make an average team.

Greece to win. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

If we line up with a back 3 again tonight I'm gonna be pissed. We tried it and it hasn't worked. Play a narrow 4, keep the midfield tight and get the ball into the feet of our players that we know can play ball. Smallbone, Knight, Smodizic, Parrott, Ferguson are all comfortable on the ball. I'm sure there's others I'm missing. Use Ogbene as our wide threat to mix things up but there's no future if we keep playing the same way and results keep getting worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Agreed : a massive overreaction and all after losing a game to the #4 ranked team in the world and recent Euro finalists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If its a back 5 Halgrimsson is just collecting a pay cheque for doing nothing.

Even if hes is leaving finer points and personnel to O'Shea if he is actually the slightest bit interested in actually doing the job he should tell O'Shea to use a 4-2-3-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I can't see us winning tonight. Greece looked very good against Finland, albeit being gifted the most ridiculous opening goal, where their keeper rolled the ball across his own 18 and then let a Greek player steal it. Their midfield looks stronger than ours, one guy in there called Pelkas, who I didn't know, but he played against St. Pats twice, and he looked like he ran the show.

I think we are going to have to beat Finland twice, and that might be as good as it gets. Two away trips next, with the Finns first, and maybe we can bring confidence from that into the away game in Greece, as they'll be coming off the back of a battering in Wembley (here's hoping). Maximum 7 points is as optimistic as I can get.

I don't know fully whether getting relegated makes things easier, or worse, in future - worse I'm guessing, although you might win some games.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

I agree the optics of Heimir dipping media duties doesn't look great.

The only thing I can think of in his favour is he's trying to give the media a story so the pressure is off the players. Classic manager tactic you'd see from morinho, Warnock, alladyce etc.

Big stretch though as I think the players have been given little pressure the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I know it's only 1 game into the new regime but I'm getting a bad feeling where this is going at the moment…there really is a bang of the Staunton/Kenny era off it..hope I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Who called the shot to appoint this guy Hallgrimsson the board of the FAI are a complete joke .Not impressed with this guy at all so far the way hes dodging his duties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's too early to say. Given the way England played in the first half (i.e. brilliantly), we were always going to lose to them and perhaps even take a hammering. Tonight should be a better indicator of where we are and what our prospects in this group are.

• Advertisement

Did England play brilliantly or was it because our players apart from 2 of them may as well have not been there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I hope I don't see Brady and Doherty starting tonight. They are past it and haven't been much use lately anyway.

That pass Brady made to Kane was unbelievable, a professional footballer. We were lucky not to concede another goal that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Yeah, I think you are pretty much right. Finland appears to be the weakest link in the group, so 6 points is a must against them. Assuming that everyone loses from England (not sure how they would treat the last 2 games if they have already won the group), the two games between Greece and Ireland give the 2nd place. whoever gets 4 points in these 2 matches is 2nd. Two draws could lead to a tie at 8 points and then goes to goal difference? which might not suit Ireland as there don't seem to be too many goals in the team. From that point of view, the 2-0 defeat to England could help the goal difference, though I doubt Greece would be demolished by England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Agreed

He should’ve been at the forefront setting out his stalls from the start.

Instead he’s already shielding himself with a ‘I haven’t settled in yet’ type defence. It’s fairly typical in sport as a way to avoid blame early-doors if things aren’t going well while you’re ‘settling in’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

4 points needed against Greece if we're to finish 2nd.

Just because players aren't in the UK dosen't mean they're not excellent footballers. I'm not sure we're in the same league on paper. They have strength in depth and a decent domestic league we could only dream of and plenty of lads playing regular European football.

They have a striker that's just left AZ for Benfica after a 30 goal season, he's who Troy Parrott has just been brought in to replace, not even Evan is there yet, and he's not fit enough to really contribute this time around in any case.

I'd keep expectations low tonight unless you want to drive yourselves mad lads.

Their league is definitely better but I don't think there's a big difference in a our squads, also we're at home and the "new manager bounce".

I hope we play 4-3-3 and just go for it.

We've good defenders and GK so I don't see the need for conservativism and playing 5 at the back.

We should be aiming for second in the group and get our ranking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

The u21s in Tallaght tonight 5pm RTE will be well worth a watch. Looking forward to that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

We'll be lucky to take that from the Fins let alone Greece.

Anyone expecting much more than what SK could produce is delusional imo.

Thinking back, the one bit of excitment and enthusiasm we had around the team under Kenny was that brief spell where we played 3-5-2, with Parrott and Obafemi up front. We looked so much more threatening with two lads playing more centrally, working off each other. Got a few lovely combinations out of that.

I hate this thing of wingbacks playing behind wide forwards in a 3-4-3, it just feels so totally redundant, vacating the middle of the park when our midfield is already our poorest area.

Could see Parrott and Szmodics working well together as a central partnership. There's a bit of fight there, and far more of a presence than Idah offers. Then play Ogbene at wing back.

I'd like to switch to 4 at the back at some stage, but as Hallgrimsson said, it's almost as much about what the players do rather than just a set formation. As he explained in the post-match presser, if your 3 CBs are sitting back there marking one player, then one of them has to take the responsibility to step up and be an extra man in midfield. I like the way he talks about movement within the team though, there's a lot of cop-on to it, so if the players can actually start doing it after a bit more work, might see us look a bit more balanced and solid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Why?

You must have a reason you can share for your views.

Calling people delusional for not agreeing with your idea is not a great approach but it looks terrible when you don't offer reasons why people are, in your view, holding such a false view.

I think we have a lot of very promising footballers, and a few old heads who are past their best, and not enough guys in their prime used to playing in teams that dominate games, we're a bit all over the place and something I'm unsure we can patch over in the short term.

However I'm on the 4-2-3-1 train at this stage too. Greece away was when it became absolutely clear the 5 wasn't working. I think with no excellent lwb options, or even regular lb options, I'd put scales/o'Shea there, ask them to play relatively conservitably. Just because they hang back dosen't mean the whole team needs to thou, the extra body in midfield instead of centre back would hopefully help us gain some control and stop the gaping hole in midfield we always seem to have when being countereed.

We might be able to press from the front slightly more effectively then as well. I don't think we'll see that jump tonight, so I'm keeping expectations low, but I hope to God it's where we're going, if not I don't know what will happen but pain.

I think having brilliant wingbacks is essential for 3-5-2 to work, which we don't have so we should ditch it immediately.

There's a reason no top coaches play it.

Our younger players like O'Shea, Collins, Knight, Molumby, Smallbone, Ogbene, Parrott, Idah etc are experienced enough at this stage. They've all played a few seasons as professional footballers. I wouldn't call them seasoned pros but they're not rookies either.

Is there a reason Mikey Johnston isn't in the squad? I've been impressed with him. I'd play him wide left with Ogbene wide right. Maybe try McAteer wide left. Then the usual 3 in Midfield.

Can Schmodics play up front on his own? As a false 9 type player?

I'm not sure about Idah or Parrott and I presume Ferguson isn't fit.

We've the makings of a decent team who should get a result against tier 2 nations.

I think it could be exciting to see Festy and Ogbene on the right.

I haven't seen Festy play but I presume he's pacey.

• Advertisement
Advertisement