Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭volchitsa

How is it a ridiclous question?

Do you acknowledge that Caster Semenya is male, as the CAS found in their report, or do you think Semenya is female too?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Mr Bumble

You're trying very hard Volchitsa

Here's the fight that triggered the IBA to ban her because their pin-up had been beaten

Azalia seems obsessed…….

https://www.facebook.com/mmaindiashow/videos/russian-boxer-azalia-amineva-challenged-imane-khelifremember-how-i-knocked-you-o/383003324491066/

Nope. It's the question I see from lads who usually don't know much and think they've done a gotcha when they ask such a dumb question.

You could do better by looking into Umar Kremlev, his position in Putin's close circle and Russia's ongoing proxy war against the western world, being waged on my many fronts but mostly online. Sport has always been seen as a battle front by Russian leaders. That's why Russian athletes have been pickled in drugs for decades all the way back to the Soviet Union days.

Russia is banned from most sport and is trying to own boxing

Their blond darling Azalia had her arse handed to her and unbeaten record wrecked. You can see the video in another post. The IBA have now restored the unbeaten run but they had to discredit Khelif to do it based on "trust me bro" tests which nobody has seen.

I have no interest in culture wars but Russia has and that's what they're at with this one. Rowling etc got suckered. Hilarious.

Women's sport is women's sport and should remain so. If you had bothered to read the thread, you'd have seen me say that so i'll assume you're answering in bad faith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Enduro

If you bothered to read the thread you would know that I'm no supporter of (1) cheaters (2) Putin's Russia (3) the IBA and (4) the IOC.

It's a fundamental question, whether you like it or not. For women's sport to exist it is necessary to be able to define who is eligible to compete. If Female sports are categorised by sex then the rules of the sport need to define who is eligible to be defined as female sex according to the rules (and as a result who is excluded). This is very basic stuff.

Whether you like it or not the existence of the female sports category means that there needs to be a defined procedure to identify who is male sex and who is female sex. Do you accept that such a procedure exists or not?

No amount of waffle about Russian sports corruption (and I 100% agree that the IBA is corrupt and riddled with nefarious Russian interference) sidesteps that fundamental issue, no matter how much you want to run away from it.

• Advertisement

AH. Throw in someone else to distract from the fact that you have been defending the IBA position on this since the start yet which is odd, since you don't pay much attention to contact sports. Why would you default to defending the IBA, a Russian operation?

IBA/Russia got it's ass handed to it again last week

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1144506/court-arbitration-iba-exclusion-rejects

You base everything on alleged tests. SHow me these tests., You can't. You don;t even know what they were. Nobody does other than the IBA. No results have been released or verified

This is the reality of this story

https://www.sportspolitika.news/p/imane-khelif-iba-russia-boxing-putin-olympics

Spare me the lecture.

Again

"Women's sport is women's sport and should remain so"

Okay?

Khelif was put on her arse by Amineva who is now boasting about it and wants to fight her MMA.

See through the spin

You're just not getting it.

• I fully agree the IBA is corrupt
    • I fully agree that Russian sport is corrupt.
    • Khelif was eligible to compete in the Olympics under the IOC's rules.

However, the IOC's rules were a steaming pile of horse manure. That is the more fundamental issue here. And the reason for that is that Female sports need to have very well-defined eligibility rules to decide who is eligible to compete in the female sex category. For these rules to work there needs to be a means of verifying eligibility.

Do you accept the need for a process/test to who is eligible to compete in female sports? Do you accept that there are scientific tests which can be used as part of this process if necessary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,755 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So all women in sport will have to submit to this probing or just the ones who 'look man-ish?'

Do you accept the need for eligibility rules or not? Do you accept that rules need to be enforceable?

• Advertisement

LOL this doesn't answer the question at all.

I don't like contact sports at all. I do care about male violence against women.

Old fashioned of me, I know, but there you go. I'm just not keen on men punching women in the face, and still less so when it's a spectator sport.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

I'd limit it to the ones with XY chromosomes and functioning testicles.

… and how would the governing body figure out who that is? By subjecting all competitors to mandatory (and invasive) genital and genetic examinations.

That shows that you know exactly nothing except whatever propaganda you've been fed. Or maybe you do know and you're lying. You tell me.

But no, you don't have to subject all competitors to genital examinations.

What you would do is bring back a cheek swab, done ONCE in the athlete's life, as used to be the case from the 70s when it was brought in until the late 90s when sex screening was stopped.

Only for the very few who turn out to be XY is any further testing needed, and even then, the next test would be merely a blood test for testosterone levels, and possibly an ultrasound scan

"Ultrasonography is the primary means for assessing internal reproductive organs for diagnosis" (Wiki 5α-Reductase 2 deficiency)

These are athletes who are regularly expected to give blood and urine tests (including peeing in front of an unknown person sent to check), so it's not as though it's some massively humiliating procedure. It's a lot less intrusive than peeing into a cup in front of a stranger on demand.

FYI Over 80% of the elite female athletes who were consulted WANTED sex screening to be kept. Their wishes were not considered important enough though.

Your question was a complete strawman. I made no reference to looks whatsoever.

Where testing is undertaken my preference would be that all athletes are tested (In the case of the Olympics that would be a return to testing all athletes competing in female categories, which was removed despite an overwhelming majority of females preferring that the testing should be retained). Nothing to do with looks whatsoever. Is that clear enough for you?

Do you accept the need for eligibility rules or not? Do you accept that rules need to be enforceable?

Do you have 'liar tourettes' or something, I can barely make a post you reply to without you making banal accusations of lying. change the record.

Anyway, the rule proposed - XY chromosome and functional testes screening, would still permit XX males to compete in women's sports, with no Y chromosome and being functionally sterile. A cheek swab won't screen them out.

These are such rhetorical questions, 'should rules be enforceable?' Really? No, break the rules, be a criminal, lord of the flies and anarchy, obviously. Give over, having eligibility rules and enforcing them does nothing to address the issues with the nature of the eligibility rules being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

What’s more invasive - a swab test from the mouth to determine someone’s sex or someone watching you pee into a cup to determine if you’ve taken banned substances?

having eligibility rules and enforcing them does nothing to address the issues with the nature of the eligibility rules being discussed.

I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about there. What exactly is it that you have an issue with? We agree that enforceable eligibility rules are required for the Female sex category in sport. So what exactly is the issue with having tests/processes to verify a person's sex to determine eligibility to compete in a sex category?

Maybe it's just because so much of what you claim very often doesn't stand up to 30 seconds' reflection?

Cheek swabs are fine to identify the vast majority of female athletes. 30 seconds, and cheap as well. Once and it's done for life.

And here's the thing: there's evidence from the numbers that recruiters especially in poorer countries with low levels of healthcare such as rural areas of Africa and Asia to recruit XY sufferers of DSDs in order to put them in women's teams. Just as the GDR had a deliberate strategy of pumping their female athletes with testosterone, so poorer countries can do the same now with no need for all the technical apsects of drug cheating.

But the minute they bring back sex screening with cheek swabs, that will stop.

So the numbers of male DSD athletes in female sports will drop radically.

So the numbers needing further tests like ultrasound scans will also drop. The sex screen will be sufficient for all but the very tiny minority who have not previously been diagnosed as DSD.

• Advertisement

I just find it interesting there's only screening under debate for female sports.

We're still discussing additional screening that competitors are not subjected to in the male categories.

Maybe it's just because so much of what you claim very often doesn't stand up to 30 seconds' reflection?

You could just rebut the arguments then without the personal abuse. Thanks in advance.

This still won't address XX males in womens sport.

Countries going out of their way to recruit athletes for perceived testosterone advantages, esp. if they wouldn't have otherwise competed, is very unsavory.

LOL you mean like pregnancy tests? I think that's not an insurmountable offence to women.

Female athletes wanted these tests to be maintained because they see them as protection for them. Who wants to get rid of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,136 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

There are far greater implications of the former than the latter, which is why it wouldn’t matter if every single athlete wished to maintain sex testing - they’re all assuming a foregone conclusion that the results would be what they expect. It’s when the results are not what they expect is where the issues lie. And that’s without pointing out the blatant discrimination in that the test was not typically conducted on athletes competing in the men’s events - nobody wants to open that can of worms 😂

You are, I'm not. I have no issue with everyone being tested/verified whenever possible. In fact that's my extremely strong preference. Exactly the same as my opinion on the far more intrusive process of PED testing.

That's rich coming from you.

As for XX athletes, I'm not aware of any that have male advantage - can you tell me which DSDs those are and how the athletes concerned would have male advantage?

Do you have any names of such athletes in real life?

That's the second time you've made that claim without providing the evidence.

FYI Over 80% of the elite female athletes who were consulted WANTED sex screening to be kept. Their wishes were not considered important enough though.

Do you have a link for the 80% poll, when I looked I was pointed only to an article in the very right-wing Washington Times… which quotes a twitter user claiming an unspecific poll of Olympic female athletes wanted it at a rate of exactly (not over) 80 percent, but I cannot actually find the poll. As someone touting the statistic I assume you have access to the poll and it would be great if you could share it, because I have some questions about its methodology (did they conduct this poll for a subset of english speaking competitors or did they poll all female olympic athletes from around the world etc, or was it specifically a "consultation" of a very small handful of female athletes, that would introduce some significant polling errors)

No I'm not going looking because I've seen how little you're interested in data when it doesn't suit you. It's not particularly important, unless you have some evidence that female athletes wanted to get rid of sex screening. Which I know you don't.

And before that, you have neither yet admitted that you were flat-out wrong to say that all athletes would need genital examination, nor provided any evidence or explanation about your latest claims about XX athletes, so let's start with those first?

Just plain wrong as usual.

It’s when the results are not what they expect is where the issues lie.

Duhhh!!!! That's the whole point of having the test. We wouldn't need to test otherwise.

And that’s without pointing out the blatant discrimination in that the test was not typically conducted on athletes competing in the men’s events - nobody wants to open that can of worms 😂

As already stated, I have no problem with that, so you are clearly provably wrong when you say that nobody wants to open that can of worms. As usual.

• Advertisement

I mean that's fine as long as we're saying there'd be no problem with an XX male identifying as a woman and competition in women's sports, that shows it's really not about appearance for the folks arguing about this so forcefully in the thread for so long, given an XX male has a male phenotype, a penis, etc. if that's not going to be a problem for the fairness in sport crowd I think sure that's great.

Advertisement