Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) Files

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

That's always been the standout feature. Women are the people who should acquiesce. Women are the people who should give up protected spaces. It is women's biology that is denied and it is the word woman that is replaced over and over with people. Women need to be kind. If it's a choice between what will effect 50% of the population who are Women or some percent of a percent who are men who identify as women, well we can't upset those men. It's essentially misogyny, reducing us to a bunch of stereotypes, causing us harm and casting us as bigots if we object.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I know it was brought up in the sports thread and not this one but it seems more suited for here. The UN special rapporteur for violence against women and girls, Reem Alsalem, has put out a statement about the Australian court ruling that sex is changeable and how it could further erode women's sex based rights

https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2024/09/special-rapporteur-decries-australias-federal-court-ruling-further-eroding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

But, then what other word could they have used in the context of heart health?

They could’ve used the same classifications or labels that have been bandied about on social media (like you point out - funny coincidence, but you never know!), like ‘females’, ‘biological females’, or even ‘adult human females’… if they really wanted to come off like they were on day release.

But, most people will have understood the RTE news piece was simply referring to women, without anyone’s pulse being raised.

Your screenshot cut off the question posed by Ms. Gebhard at the end of the post:

There are almost 4 billion #women on this planet—are we really saying it is too complicated to address their medical needs?

The answer to the question is no, nobody has ever said that, nor are the European Society of Cardiology saying anything like it either with their updated guidelines. What the ESC are saying, is this:

https://academic.oup.com/eurheartj/advance-article/doi/10.1093/eurheartj/ehae176/7738779?login=false

Female sex is an age-dependent risk modifier, rather than a risk factor per se. It relates specifically to the treatment of atrial fibrillation, and the research suggests no significant differences in outcomes between sexes following the administration of oral anticoagulants to treat the condition, which is apparently more prevalent in men than women (not significantly more prevalent, though this may also be related to the fact that research showed women being diagnosed with AF at an older age than men, and the real paradox is that it’s due to having developed a greater ability to treat and diagnose disease):

The prevalence of AF is increasing due to our greater ability to treat chronic cardiac and noncardiac diseases, and the improved ability to suspect and diagnose AF. At the present time, the prevalence of AF (2%) is double that reported in the last decade. The prevalence of AF varies with age and sex. AF is present in 0.12%–0.16% of those younger than 49 years, in 3.7%–4.2% of those aged 60–70 years, and in 10%–17% of those aged 80 years or older. In addition, it occurs more frequently in males, with a male to female ratio of 1.2:1. The incidence of AF ranges between 0.21 and 0.41 per 1,000 person/years. Permanent AF occurs in approximately 50% of patients, and paroxysmal and persistent AF in 25% each. AF is frequently associated with cardiac disease and comorbidities. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4064952/

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/2396987316679577

That’s not to suggest Ms. Gebhard is entirely off-base either though. For example her point is more relevant within the context of blood transfusion. Now there’s a minefield:

To summarize, sex and gender differences in patients undergoing cardiac surgery are complex and not yet fully understood. Despite the well-established knowledge that women face an elevated risk of RBC transfusion, precise pathomechanism remains a point of contention. The study by Wester and colleagues once more raises awareness and emphasizes the importance of individualized patient care.1 To achieve such goals, perioperative physicians must conscientiously acknowledge sex and gender differences and associated unconscious biases. The potential impact of optimized and specific strategies on enhancing outcomes for female patients undergoing cardiac surgery warrants diligent scrutiny in forthcoming studies.

https://www.jcvaonline.com/article/S1053-0770(24)00099-5/fulltext

TLDR: The ESC in their updated guidelines do not regard sex or gender as being useful criteria in the treatment of atrial fibrillation because apart from the fact that they have never really been used anyway, and besides encouraging an individualised approach to patient care - the outcomes are similar in both sexes, or to put it in terms Ms. Gebhard might be more familiar with - patients of all genders:

The updated ESC policy is in line with their updated policy on Gender:

https://www.escardio.org/static-file/Escardio/About%20the%20ESC/Documents/European%20Society%20of%20Cardiology%20Gender%20Policy.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Welp. Another of those "things that never happen" just happened again.

At what point does somebody in charge start to consider that maybe defining one category of men as inherently "the most oppressed" and thus putting them in unquestioned, and unquestionable, positions of authority over the genuinely vulnerable like children was always going to attract, well, men wanting power over children?

They used to become priests to get access to children. Now they can just declare they are women.

And to be clear, I am NOT saying that trans women are all abusers, no more than priests or teachers were all abusers.

I'm saying that when society creates categories of men who escape the normal rules that are imposed on men to keep women and children safe from abusers, then abusers will want to exploit the opportunity that affords them.

(I fully expect to be sanctioned for "being a dick" for this. Because that rule clearly only applies to men. Women and children can be abused, raped, beaten up for sport even, by men - and me criticising any of that makes me the "dick". The irony of it.)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

Reem Alsalem is some woman. How did she slip through the cracks, at the UN of all places?

“The ruling demonstrates the concrete consequences that result when gender identity is allowed to supplant sex and override women’s rights to female-only services and spaces,” said Alsalem.

She noted that the ruling concerned the Australian Sex Discrimination Act, and that while the Act differentiates between the concepts of sex and gender identity, this distinction is abandoned in practice. She said the Act severed the term sex from its ordinary meaning of biological sex, operating on what she described as a built-in and fictitious premise that every human being has a gender identity.

That is strong stuff all right, but entirely correct. Only a tiny percentage of people have a "gender identity" with all that entails.

"Female sex is an age-dependent risk modifier, rather than a risk factor per se."

What's the difference between a modifier and a factor? My guess is a factor is something taken seriously. A modifier? Not so much.

Just parsing the language, that's how it comes across.

And of course age is a factor too. But, they're saying it's just another modifier.

I'm not sure this is compatible with the ESC's gender policy either

• Principle 5. Understanding the impact of sex and gender on cardiovascular biology and medicineis relevant in clinical research. This relevance extends to all phases of biomedical researchincluding preclinical research, ESC leadership, corporate identity, ESC publications, congresses,and educational activities, as well as the creation and dissemination of scientific statements andguidelines.

Here they have taken sex out of a "scientific statement and guideline" when it was known to be relevant.

By the way. I'll just say there could be sound reasons for removing sex from the risk factors. But, the excuses they provided don't stand up to reason:

a) it's too much trouble to distinguish between men and women, and

b) gender ideology

The RTE piece was intending to highlight the lack of awareness among the general public about the fact that women are six times more likely to die from cardiovascular disease (and that covers a multitude, atrial fibrillation is just one condition), than breast cancer:

The research shows that 70% of the public believe females are more likely to contract breast cancer than heart disease and stroke - despite statistics showing they are six times more likely to die from both conditions.

They make the point intending to address the prevalent myth among the general public that cardiovascular disease is a male disease:

The Irish Heart Foundation said society needs to confront the embedded myth that heart disease is a male disease.

https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2024/0903/1468066-irish-heart-foundation/

What the ESC are saying is that sex and gender are not considered risk factors in AF, but they are factors that are considered depending on the individual patient. That’s the difference between a risk factor and a modifier. It’s why sex and gender complicate matters, but the ESC aren’t saying don’t address them, but rather to be conscious of them. Which is sound reasoning based on the research available to them in developing the guidelines. They know age is a risk factor, and they’re saying there needs to be more research done on whether or not sex and gender are actually risk factors:

The inclusion of gender complicates clinical practice both for healthcare professionals and patients. It also omits individuals who identify as non-binary, transgender, or are undergoing sex hormone therapy. Previous guidelines from the ESC (and globally) have not actually used CHA DS2-VASc; instead providing different score levels for women and men with AF to qualify for OAC. Hence, CHA,DS2-VA (excluding gender) has effectively been in place. This task force proposes, in the absence of other locally validated alternatives, that clinicians and patients should use the CHA,DS2-VA score to assist in decisions on OAC therapy (i.e. without a criterion for birth sex or gender). Pending further trials in lower risk patients (NCT04700826, NCT02387229260), OAC are recommended in those with a CHA,DS2- VA score of 2 or more and should be considered in those with a CHA,DS2-VA score of 1, following a patient-centred and shared care approach. 

How the guidelines relates to the diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease in relation to sex and gender is more related to the influence of HRT, in both older women and people who are transgender, if they’re on HT, obviously:

Transgender people have a 40% higher risk of CVD compared with cisgender people of the same birth sex. This emphasizes the importance of cardiovascular risk management. Future studies should assess the potential influence of socio-economic and lifestyle factors.

https://academic.oup.com/ejendo/article/190/2/S13/7596368

It had been previously thought that elderly patients who were transgender were at greater risk of developing Type-2 diabetes as a consequence of being on HT long-term, but that needs more research IMO (there are limitations in the study below) but the development of Type-2 diabetes is thought to be related to the development of cardiovascular disease:

Changes in body weight and insulin sensitivity are strongly associated with risk of type 2 diabetes. However, whether type 2 diabetes is indeed more frequently present in transgender individuals using hormone therapy compared to adults in the general population is still unknown. Based on the studies above, it may be hypothesized that trans women have a higher risk of type 2 diabetes compared with men in the general population, and that the risk is lower in trans men compared with women in the general population. This would be in line with the currently unexplained increased incidence of cardiovascular disease and cardiovascular related mortality in trans women. Given the association of insulin resistance with type 2 diabetes, early recognition and prevention is paramount. If the incidence of type 2 diabetes is indeed increased in trans women, prevention may be especially important in this group, as hormone therapy is generally life-long and started at a young age.

https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/107/5/e2000/6491237#

There are consistent evidences that optimal glycaemic control, along with control of hypertension, dyslipidaemia, smoking cessation, and weight loss are necessary for reducing cardiovascular risk in T2DM patients. Cardiovascular benefits are obtained if the control of traditional cardiovascular risk factors begins early in subjects with short duration of DM and low cardiovascular risk. On the contrary, in elderly subjects with long duration of DM, exposed to hyperglycemia for a long time, and high cardiovascular risk, the same is not true. This beneficial or harmful effect could be explained by the hypothesis called as metabolic memory, in which the effect of the early glycemic exposure environment is imprinted in target organs, resulting in long-term protective or deleterious long-term effects.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4127581/

That’s why it doesn’t contradict the 5th principle - because neither sex nor gender is relevant as a risk factor in the diagnosis and treatment of AF, whereas age is, but they are undoubtedly relevant in the diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease and research pertaining to it.

You suggested using a term like "biological female", "female" or even "adult human female" to describe real women in contexts like that video about women's heart health. Anything without the word woman it seems. Even "biological women" is discouraged due to being exclusionary.

https://www.eviemagazine.com/post/college-student-graded-zero-assignment-term-biological-women

"Olivia, this is a solid proposal. However, the terms 'biological women' are exclusionary and are not allowed in this course as they further reinforce heteronormativity."

On the risk factors for stroke or AF, I note that neither of us is a cardiologist. So us arguing about the details is a waste of time. Though I did cite an actual cardiologist (a woman) who is not happy with the change. So, if you can find another one prepared to defend it with better reasons that the two absolutely shıt reasons they have already provided, that would be great.

When are women going to realise they are being gaslit here?

By the way, I posted a screenshot of her post because that's all I had. It didn't mean you had to reply with that massive font, display filling, screenshot of your own …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I read that story there with increasing incredulity. This is where academia is now ? Completely captured by ideology.

"Your essay is perfect but you used a term that I feel personally uncomfortable with. Now, I should be the grown up and leave my ideology at the door but no - so I'm marking you zero. Your course might be f***ed but look at all my smug virtue signalling points and what a story I'll have at the next meeting when we threaten a bar for having a lesbian night!"

How did education get like this ?

• Advertisement

I only suggested that plodder because YOU asked the question - what other word could they have used in the context of heart health? I wasn’t actually being serious in suggesting they could use alternatives, and that should have been clear from my suggestion that the use of those words would have them come off like they were on day release. The point was about women’s heart health, not about gender studies.

And that student making a complaint about being expected to use certain terms in a course on GENDER STUDIES, really doesn’t have a point. The fact that it’s a GENDER STUDIES course means it is entirely political… just not her politics:

"Olivia, this is a solid proposal," the feedback read, per FoxNews. "However, the terms ‘biological women’ are exclusionary and are not allowed in this course as they further reinforce heteronormativity. Please reassess your topic and edit it to focus on women’s rights (not just "females") and I’ll regrade." 

While the college student said she has not seen the professor pushing this 
    gender ideology on the rest of the online class, she recalled another banter over privilege.

"In a discussion, I had said that it's not OK to generalize and say that all White men are privileged and she came back and said that it is important to recognize that fact," she recalled. 

The University of Cincinnati reportedly said Krolczyk's dispute is being reviewed through its established policies and processes. Krolczyk told Fox News she met with the school’s gender equity group and they agreed she would do her project with her original proposal. A new professor will grade her work and a file will be sent to the dean. 

https://www.foxnews.com/media/college-gender-studies-professor-allegedly-fails-student-using-banned-term-biological-women

And as it turns out, she got an A grade when her project was re-examined:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/college-student-gets-a-class-allegedly-receiving-zero-proposal-using-term-biological-women.amp

How useful her academic qualifications in Gender Studies could be outside of Academia, is anyone’s guess really.

On the risk factors for stroke and AF, neither of us needs to be a cardiologist to be able to read and understand the information being presented. Frankly I’d always assumed that you would have a much better understanding of all this stuff than I do because I’d formed the impression that you’d some sort of background in medicine, whereas me I’m just a couch potato. There’s no need to defend the guidelines, regardless of the fact that one cardiologist sought offence where none was intended (doesn’t matter whether they’re a man or a woman, from their LinkedIn profile it’s clear they have their own biases when they refer to all genders), but I wouldn’t read too much into the fact that the ECS main source of funding comes from the Healthcare Industry either - it’s just an indication that they too have their own biases.

The Irish Heart Foundation have their own biases too, as do RTE in attempting to pass off the information as new research, when it’s actually been known about for some time that women are at significantly higher risk of cardiovascular disease than men, and how the symptoms of cardiovascular disease present differently in women and men, let alone the idea of comparing it to rates of breast cancer in women to make the point in order to increase awareness among the general public about cardiovascular disease in women. As I said - most people will have understood the point without your needling about whether anyone is referring to women, or females, or biological females, or adult human females. That nonsense bickering over terminology just seems unnecessary IMO. I assume neither of us have academic qualifications relating to Gender Studies either? 😒

We obviously have a very different understanding of the term ‘gaslit’ and gaslighting though, when I don’t agree with your assertion that women are being gaslit and don’t realise it. Seems rather bloody convenient for your argument to employ circular reasoning - you’ve managed to establish that women are being gaslit, by virtue of the idea that they just don’t realise they’re being gaslit. That however, is simply not the case. Women aren’t being gaslit, because very few women are convinced that they are victims in the first place, which is a prerequisite for academic success in Gender Studies courses. I’d give that student an A for effort in playing the victim, before I’d ever force myself to read the kind of crap I imagine she submitted for evaluation.

I don't think we need chapter on verse on the details of that case, and that she eventually got an A grade. 😀 I was merely looking for an example showing where the term "biological woman" is considered to be offensive or discouraged. I was actually looking for a different one, but it had to do.

Nah I get you man, but that’s kinda the point - you have to go looking for this stuff to be offended by it, whereas it just doesn’t map to reality for most people under normal circumstances and conditions. That’s why I could completely understand where you were coming from in it occurring to you when watching the RTE news piece that they’re not nailing down the issue to only refer to as you put it - real women*.

The reason why the term ‘biological woman’ would rankle the most hard-nosed of Feminists is pretty simple - it’s a term that Feminists have sought to distinguish themselves from as it conflates biology and sociology as an explanation of women’s oppression in society. Simone de Beauvoir would be doing 9,000RPM in her grave were she exposed to what has become of Feminist ideology today. I don’t know if you’ve read it, but if you do ever get your hands on a copy, her seminal work “The Second Sex” is an absolute cracker. She goes damn hard, but it’s worth it IMO:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Second_Sex

https://philosophynow.org/issues/69/Becoming_A_Woman_Simone_de_Beauvoir_on_Female_Embodiment

She was a tour de force in philosophy before she submitted herself to Sartre and it all went a bit sideways:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/jun/10/gender.politicsphilosophyandsociety

Then again when she wrote of birth control, she, like most women, couldn’t have known then what is now known (and remains unknown) about hormonal birth control and the long term effects it has on women:

Although hormonal contraceptives are safely used by more than 300 million women worldwide (as of a 2019 study by the United Nations), there has been minimal research on their downstream physiological and behavioral effects. 

Past research has found hormonal contraceptive pills may increase women’s risk for chronically elevated inflammation, which carries the long-term risk of developing illnesses such as cancer, cardiovascular disease, and autoimmune disorders, as well as potential mood disorders, including depression. However, the mechanisms behind this association have remained understudied and unclear, Mengelkoch said. 

https://www.uclahealth.org/news/release/study-shows-how-birth-control-pills-affect-womens

*note that I don’t take issue with the term, use whatever terms you’re comfortable with, I’ll still understand what you mean, it’s sometimes used by women too to distinguish themselves from other women, though I’ve generally only seen it used on social media, whereas the idea of real men has been around for a while, generally used by both men and women to characterise what are their desirable characteristics in men - my old man was fond of saying “we’ll make a man out of you yet!”, as though his input and control over the process somehow extended beyond his participation in my conception 🤨

Nah I get you man, but that’s kinda the point - you have to go looking for this stuff to be offended by it, whereas it just doesn’t map to reality for most people under normal circumstances and conditions. That’s why I could completely understand where you were coming from in it occurring to you when watching the RTE news piece that they’re not nailing down the issue to only refer to as you put it - real women*.

Not offended by it. Just pointing out the inconsistencies in terminology all while in the background, the erasure of the female sex continues. On the gender studies student, why is the term "biological women" verboten anyway? It is a clear descriptive term. It would give the impression that gender studies rejects biology.

Meanwhile, I see this happened. Tough situation for this person. It seems like a potential problem when patients are sent abroad for procedures with complex aftercare requirements. By the way. I don't have a medical background professionally since you asked.

https://www.irishtimes.com/health/2024/09/06/transgender-woman-was-unable-to-receive-basic-healthcare-at-dublin-hospital-after-gender-surgery/

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭tarvis

why not use the correct terminology? It’s Woman and Trans woman -

The correct terminology … So, are "people with a cervix" etc gone now? I must have missed the memo.

In any case, I don't have a problem with using the term "trans woman". I have done frequently on this forum. I don't like the notion of "correct terminology" though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Looking at a programme about Amy Downden who appeared on Strictly and is currently battling breast cancer. A really moving programme and quite informative until the end, making sure women are checking ourselves for anything that might need looking at:

"Check Your Chests"

So I assume that when I next get my mammogram call it will be from "ChestCheck Ireland" ???

Stop erasing women!

I too have no problem with trans women - the title or the life choice.
    however I do not like being referred to as a biological woman or a cis woman.

I think there is a need to prevent young people receiving life altering drugs and treatments before the age of consent.

I think it is necessary to retain and preserve safe refuges and prison spaces for women. Often wonder how so called trans prisoners have so little empathy for the abused among the gender they claim to be.

Interesting thread here from a clinical psychologist about the effects of puberty blockers on the developing brain:

The hypothesis of PBs as a neutral "pause" to allow gender-distressed teens "time to think" is being/has been completely disproven, because that was based only on the effects of blocking the physical aspects of puberty. Which is fine for precocious puberty - you don't want the brain of a four year old going into teenage rebellion mode.

But unsurprisingly - if you think about it for more than 30 seconds - all the personality and attitude stuff that occurs along with puberty is a necessary part of growing up and becoming an autonomous adult. It's a period of massive brain as well as bodily changes, and blocking it during that "window of opportunity" that occurs at adolescence is very likely to have permanent effects on the brain that may not be able to be undone by allowing the hormones to kick in a few years later.

Same as babies who don't learn language during the early window of opportunity for language development, eg because of untreated deafness, can be left with a language/communication deficit all their lives - and that's despite a well-developed system of speech therapists. There's no real equivalent for delayed pubertal brain development, and anyway, we don't deliberately make kids deaf for a few years. That would be an ethical nightmare.

And then there's the effect of the body never going through that physiological puberty, but instead being put straight onto cross sex hormones - which is what the vast majority of kids put onto PBs do.

We don't let them smoke or have tattoos at that age because they may come to regret those decisions as adults - but people warning about the experimental nature of blocking a child's natural puberty are treated as "phobes" and have been fired from their jobs, when that can be achieved by the activists.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Dutch, who first started all this off, didn't use PB's to give the kids time to think. It was actually the opposite, they were starting them on a medical pathway intentionally, blockers, cross sex hormones, surgery. Their idea was that because male puberty made it harder for adults to pass as the opposite sex that if they stopped it it would be easier to pass as an adult. It was only years later after they started the process that they came up with the idea that PBs could be used as a diagnostic to give the kids time to think. They never explained how this would work.

The Dutch had criteria (dysphoria from a young age, no co-morbidities (eg autism), a supporting family, and the kids were told they were changing gender not sex) to get recommended for the process which the WPATH has removed. They're a disgrace of an organisation.

It's amazing how we've gotten from their study, which was highly flawed, to where we are now. Their study wasn't suitable to be scaled up because of all the flaws in it's methodology and then the results also made it not suitable to be scaled up.

If you want to read more about it there's a good paper on it linked below.

Full article: The Myth of “Reliable Research” in Pediatric Gender Medicine: A critical evaluation of the Dutch Studies—and research that has followed (tandfonline.com)

A key part of doing an experiment is how did you validate your results. Usually that's done through controlled trials but it's not uncommon that in some cases that's not possible. When this happens you proceed slowly and collect as much data as possible. The WPATH have done the opposite and seem to operating as if they'd done controlled trials and have very favourable results. A good example of the lack of data collection is what you mention about brain development.

They do seem surprised that giving a drug to block puberty actually blocks puberty!

I think I'd missed the fact that the Dutch protocol wasn't originally about "time to think", I had just assumed it was. That's even worse then - changing your fundamental hypothesis in hindsight invalidates the whole study. You should never do that. You take your new hypothesis and start a new set of tests for a new study. That definitely hasn't been done - and follow-up information is almost universally terrible in these studies anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Totally agree with you, and isn't it sad (and mad) that in the current climate that you can't just say …

IF it was only that…….they are not stupid and know full well the advantages men have over women, they do not care an iota about females and less about their safety.

So many biological linguistic hoops people feel they must dive through nowadays, incase they annoy or upset those who police our language through the trans lens.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't think they changed their mind. I think they just came up with the idea that PBs could also be used for giving "time to think". They still carried out the rest of their study as they set at the start.

If you want to read more about it here's another paper

Full article: The Dutch Protocol for Juvenile Transsexuals: Origins and Evidence (tandfonline.com)

Don't worry, I won't be examining you afterwards :P

Right, but there’s a massive difference in hypothesising that you’re able to identify the “right” teens to treat, and blocking their puberty because they aren’t going to ever want to go through it, and saying that these children need time to think and so we want a reversible treatment that can let them go either way at the end of it.

From a quick read of your link (thanks for that - and I’m nearly ready for the QCM!) it seems it was a way of getting around the ethical problem of treating a young teen with a treatment that might not be fully reversible. And f you declared that it was reversible you avoided the question altogether.

Which would be ok if they really were reversible. But unsurprisingly they aren’t.

That’s a really good article, @CatFromHue . I’m reading the bit about the London Clinic and how patient pressure led to the original head of the clinic being removed and replaced by someone who was happy to drop the original watchful waiting approach for children in favour of Polly Carmichael and enthusiastic adoption of the Dutch Protocol, despite the absence of evidence.

I fear this denigrating of female is only just at its beginning. Most women , their parents, relatives and their partners and children are not sufficiently interested to study what being pushed- they settle for the “be kind “ platitude and think no more thought is needed. .

Afghanistan was a progressive country which years of war destroyed and allowed the Taliban to reign supreme. What propaganda facilitated the entire female population to be consigned to silent, non productive, spirit killing lives?

And now the western world is in a state of unrest, full of false information and an anti womens rights /male superiority movement is being given even more of a foothold by authorities who don’t/ won’t/ can’t be bothered doing joined up thinking, talking or God forbid LISTENING?

A lot of claims made in gender paediatric medicine don't really make sense when you think about them.

Another thing that makes me think it's getting worse is with all the talk about banning countries from this, that or the other, there's been no suggestion that, for instance, the Afghan cricket team should not be allowed to play in the current championship. So many countries seem positively eager to enable the Taliban, or at the very least are not particularly bothered.

Just on the term “biological woman” I can understand why people (women) don’t like it. But, it’s just that the ideology is a rejection of biology, there seems to be no alternative but to use it sometimes. Brenda Power touched on it on Brendan O’Connor’s radio program yesterday and in her article in the Sunday Times. They were mostly talking about that astonishing (almost unbelievable) story about the SPHE schoolbook, and as an aside Power mentioned that the rest of the book needs to be looked at as well, especially on foot of the statement in it that sex is assigned at birth, when biology tells us, in fact it is determined at conception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Enduro

A follow on from an earlier discussion point about the BMA (The British Doctor's Trade Union) rejecting the conclusions of the Cass Report. There is now a lot of pushback from a number of Doctors against the "official" BMA position. It looks like a repeat of the usual clash between TRA ideology and medical science, along with the climate of intimidation and fear being repeated yet again.

They’re all authoritative medical and scientific bodies Enduro 😁

It’s just a question of which body carries the most authoritative political, social, economic and legal clout, with each body vying for recognition, representation, validation and legitimacy.

• Advertisement

That's just plain wrong. The BMA is a trade union, not an authoritative scientific body.

How tedious 🙄

The British Medical Association (BMA) is the trade union and professional body for doctors in the UK.

You cite the name of the organisation, who they represent, and the description of the organisation… what’s your point?

They are a trade union. They are not an authoritative scientific body. I suggest you contact them and tell them they are wrong about themselves if you think otherwise.

Do you realise that your inability to admit when you are incorrect is not a sign of intellectual strength?

Third time, seeing as that’s twice now you’ve ignored the fact that I said authoritative medical and scientific bodies, in response to your post about how:

It looks like a repeat of the usual clash between TRA ideology and medical science, along with the climate of intimidation and fear being repeated yet again.

It’s just a question of which body carries the most authoritative political, social, economic and legal clout, with each body vying for recognition, representation, validation and legitimacy.

The BMA are an authoritative body for doctors in the UK, as they say themselves. I don’t need to contact them at all, I don’t care what authority they give themselves, because I’m not a member of their organisation. The complainant in the article you linked to however, is:

Writing in the Observer, Davis, who has been a member of the association’s council for 18 years, says: “The BMA now finds itself isolated in its opposition to Cass, and with its reputation and integrity damaged.”

It doesn't matter how often you repeat it. You're still provably incorrect.

It doesn't matter how often you repeat it.

Clearly.

You're still provably incorrect.

You haven’t proven anything, let alone that I am incorrect.

Your point was that -

It looks like a repeat of the usual clash between TRA ideology and medical science, along with the climate of intimidation and fear being repeated yet again.

My point is that the BMA are just one medical body among many medical and scientific bodies clashing over differences of opinion with regard to their own interpretation of medical and scientific evidence and the authority which they assume in their respective fields. Some of their members are both TRA, and anti-TRA, and a whole bunch who couldn’t care less about the whole thing.

For example outside of the UK, the British Medical Journal points out that the Cass Review is largely ignored by medical bodies in the US:

Yet the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and Endocrine Society have stood by their guidelines, while the American Psychological Association, American Psychiatric Association, and American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists have remained largely silent about Cass.

https://bmjgroup.com/cass-review-on-gender-medicine-largely-ignored-in-the-us/#

Scientific bodies too, don’t have much interest in the whole debacle, and those that do, are more interested in arguing over the research being conducted, how it’s conducted, what criteria should be considered, what policies should be applied, etc, etc, all the while suggesting that more research is required and in order to do that, more funding is required (quelle surprise? 🤨):

McHugh has gained a following among social conservatives, while incensing LGBT advocates with comments such as calling transgender people "counterfeit."

Last year he co-authored a review of the scientific literature published in The New Atlantis journal, asserting there was scant evidence to suggest sexual orientation and gender identity were biologically determined.

The article drew a rebuke from nearly 600 academics and clinicians who called it misleading.

McHugh told Reuters he was "unmoved" by his critics and says he doubts additional research will reveal a biological cause.

“If it were obvious," he said, "they would have found it long ago."

https://www.reuters.com/article/world/born-this-way-researchers-explore-the-science-of-gender-identity-idUSKBN1AJ0EG/

Shifting the goalposts does not make your incorrect assertion that the BMA is an authoritative scientific body any more correct, when they are as a matter of fact a trade union, as defined by themselves. Feel free to contact them to let them know they are incorrect if you think otherwise. I will continue to accept their own definition of themselves in the meantime. However, if you manage to get them to change their own definition of themselves please do return an update us with the new information.

• Advertisement

I didn’t shift the goalposts, they’re still where they are. I didn’t claim the BMA are a scientific organisation either. They are a medical organisation, and my point was that what the whole debacle looks like to you is one thing (a repeat of the usual clash between medical science and TRA ideology), whereas what it actually is, and what it always was, and what it will continue to be, are authoritative medical and scientific bodies clashing over a question of which body carries the most authoritative political, social, economic and legal clout, with each body vying for recognition, representation, validation and legitimacy.

I’m still not shifting the goalposts when I give you (because it is only you, and not ‘us’) an example of the same effect demonstrated by two more authoritative bodies - WPATH and Intersex Human Rights Australia, where basically the IHRA told WPATH in no uncertain terms to naff off when WPATH tried to subsume intersex under the transgender moniker in the WPATH SOC8:

https://ihra.org.au/39498/submission-wpath-soc8-2021/

And you are still incorrect to assert that the BMA is an authoritative medical body. They are a trade union for Doctors, as defined by the BMA themselves. It doesn't matter how often you repeat your incorrect assertion that they are an authoritative body. It is not something they themselves claim, so if you feel that you are correct and they are wrong I suggest you contact and let them know why they are wrong. I've no doubt that the BMA understand the difference between themselves and the likes of the GMC though.

It is something they claim, given that they are an authoritative medical organisation with authority vested in the councils of both organisations to represent the interests of their membership, which is something at least one of the members of the organisation in question takes issue with - the position of the organisation of which she is a member:

Doctors on the BMA’s ruling council who have dared to challenge its criticism of the Cass review have been subject to “abuse” and its decision-making body is now shrouded in “a climate of fear and intimidation”, Davis claims.

Writing in the Observer, Davis, who has been a member of the association’s council for 18 years, says: “The BMA now finds itself isolated in its opposition to Cass, and with its reputation and integrity damaged.”

Clearly the BMA does not find itself isolated in its opposition to Cass, as I have been able to demonstrate that the organisation is not on their own in their opposition to Cass. Rather it is Ms. Davis who finds herself in an isolated position in her opposition to the position of the BMA, with other council members only talking on condition of anonymity, and claims that the refusal by the BMA to endorse Cass’s findings means the reputation of the entire medical profession is now threatened:

Other council members, talking on condition of anonymity, have shared similar concerns about the organisation’s standing, and the potential harm it could suffer over its internal strife on trans issues.

The “toxic atmosphere” around BMA council debates has left some of its 69 members fearful of speaking up to share their views on the issue, Davis says. Its refusal to endorse Cass’s findings means the reputation of the entire medical profession is now “threatened”, she adds.

I’d suggest Ms. Davis is, to use an expression she’s familiar with - over-egging the pudding.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/over-egg-the-pudding#

No matter how often you repeat it you are still provably wrong. The BMA are a trade union for Doctors. They is the very first thing they say about themselves. They are not an Authoritative medical body. They are not an Authoritative scientific body.

Do you understand what a trade union is? Do you understand the difference between a trade union and an authoritative body (such as the GMC, which as the regulator for the medical profession actually is an authoritative body)?

Your need to keep digging rather than accept that you have it wrong is a stark weakness which undermines every point you make, since you can't be trusted to admit if you are incorrect about something.

Speaking of which, do you still stand over your declaration that Gender identity is an immutable characteristic?

They’re both a trade union, and a professional body for doctors in the UK. That’s what they say about themselves, first line in your own earlier link. This means they are an authoritative body, which represents their members, headed by a ruling council. I don’t know did you even bother to read the original article you linked to, or the other opinion pieces by the same doctor who’s a member of the ruling council, but she makes the same point:

The British Medical Association is both a trade union and a professional organisation. Professional activities such as its successful campaigns around seatbelt legislation and smoking have added weight to its standing as a union. It is not noted for drama and histrionics.

So there was significant surprise when its governing body, the BMA council, recently voted to reject the recommendations of the Cass review, an independent review commissioned to look at NHS gender identity services in England, which was accepted in full by the last government and its successor.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/sep/07/bma-cass-report-gender-identity-services

The GMC are another authoritative body. I was wondering why you brought them up because they’re of no value to your nonsense, they’ve got plenty of their own issues to deal with:

https://www.medscape.co.uk/viewarticle/dysfunctional-gmc-labelled-not-fit-purpose-after-latest-2022a100260x

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/02/10/trans-doctors-register-change-gender/

I don’t expect nor need you to trust me at all, I don’t even expect you to be civil given you’re winding up to fly off the handle and fire off abuse now any minute as you’ve done on many, many previous occasions when I’ve pointed out your previous efforts have amounted to nothing. You can be God for all I care, I still don’t have any interest in your dancing on the head of a pin nonsense rather than even so much as making an effort to contribute constructively to the discussion.

Still digging, and still can't admit to being wrong about anything. That just fundamentally undermines everything you post.

• Advertisement

There’s nothing to admit to being wrong about. You said this:

(and note I didn’t even have an issue with your using inverted commas around the word “official” in relation to BMAs official position, I left it out as it would’ve simply been nitpicking)

I said this:

And from that you started with this nonsense:

That's just plain wrong. The BMA is a trade union, not an authoritative scientific body.

Which bore no relation whatsoever to what I’d previously said. The BMA is just one authoritative body, the GMC are another, they both operate in the UK, and you tried to create the impression that there is any distinction between TRA ideology and medical science, when in practice, and in principle, there clearly is not - none, nada, zip, zilch.

They’re inextricably interconnected, intertwined, whatever, because fundamentally they are about the people behind the ideas, and the agreement or disagreement among them about the application and utility of those ideas and principles in the process of scientific research and the practice of medicine.

The Cass Review was by no means the be-all and end-all of anything, it was nothing more than a review commissioned by the NHS to inform policy decisions in relation to the provision of transgender healthcare services in the UK. The BMA chose to reject its findings, that’s their official position, no need for the inverted commas, and it’s a position that so far, only one of the members of it’s ruling council has publicly declared in the media that because the organisation of which she is a member haven’t endorsed Cass, that somehow this means the medical profession is under threat.

It looks like a clash of TRA ideology and medical science to you, only because of your own biases. To the medical profession, it’s business as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭Shoog

In case this hasn't been shared here this is an incredibly damning critic of the Cass reports biases and methodology which was published in the respected journal scientific America.

The Cass report was commissioned by a ideologically motivated political party with the express intention of dismantling Gender affirmative care for Trans Children.

Shocking that it will have such a damaging impact on many vulnerable children's lives.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-u-k-s-cass-review-badly-fails-trans-children/ e

Credit where credit is due. Scientific American is indeed an extremely well respected journal. However, the key sentence is at the end of the article :

This is an opinion and analysis article, and the views expressed by the author or authors are not necessarily those of Scientific American.

It's an opinion piece which reflects the views and politics of the author(s). No more than that. As such the article itself is subject to similar biases which the Cass report is being accused of (but without the extensive scientific, medical and political backing attained by the Cass report)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭Shoog

The Cass report has been extensively criticized by experts regarding its methodology. It set out with a criteria of how it would asses the research it reviewed and then invented a new criteria when it was obvious that it wouldn't support it's conclusions.

If the Cass report were submitted to a journal such as scientific America it would likely have been rejected for failures in methodology.

Everyone's entitled to their beliefs, some people believe the earth's flat and good for them, but they are just their beliefs.

"The Cass report was commissioned by a ideologically motivated political party with the express intention of dismantling Gender affirmative care for Trans Children"

If you believe this good for you. To everyone else this is just that, your belief and has no basis in reality.

I'm not sure where to start with that article as everything in it is wrong, literally everything!

Post edited by CatFromHue on

• Advertisement
Advertisement