Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,957 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Can you give links to these reports, your post is meaningless if we can't look at what you are telling us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

Huh? You can't ever seem to remember what you've posted one post previously.

We don't allow in low income immigrants, we only allow in skilled net contributing immigrants

That's what you said and you are completely wrong. We do allow low income migrants in. Stop pretending that every person working here from eastern Europe is a doctor or engineer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,118 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

These articles explain how it happens in the UK and the various methods that are used. But as can be seen, the high street criminal money laundering businesses (which are undoubtedly a real phenomenon) are only one small element in the overall money laundering picture.

Admittedly i only scanned through those on my lunchbreak.

A poster talked about shops being used to launder money, you said the below.

Might be something of an urban myth. Journalists who have investigated this say the overwhelming number of barber shops, car washes, tanning salons etc in the UK are likely to be legitimate.

I don't see anything about what you claimed in those links, maybe I overlooked?

If not then it seems to me you are trying to downplay illegal activities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Surely that poster should be able to support their claims about these shops?

Otherwise it's just the same hateful made up rhetoric that we see around 'bogus' asylum seekers, 'safe' countries and people not contributing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

It seems odd that my small town has one main shopping street and yet we have six barbers (four Turkish) and three mobile phone repair/vape selling shops.

There is so not the footfall for that so at the very least a question or two should be asked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bloopy

I am just curious that the idea of a low paid underclass operating in a wage stagnation environment, seems to be the end goal that is being promoted.

I have seen the same implied reason for supporting all this put forward quite a bit, and even got a warning for a post calling it out a few weeks ago (admittedly the post could have been more delicately worded).

Whether the posters pushing this understand what they are going to create is another matter - all I know is that a few years ago, even the most rabid advocate of unfettered capitalism would be reluctant to voice such a view. Now it appears that it is a logical policy for those who believe they are caring and on the Left.

When did the turnaround take place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Dont know if you've ever been on Moore street, has to be at least 7 of them on that street alone.

I seen 'staff' go between each of them through out the day.

Definitely dodgy and that along with all the other shite along the street has destroyed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Is there no one asking questions in the IPO, or do they just take everything these poeple say at face value, no proof of anything required. This fella is no more 26 years of age! Good on the guard, at least someone’s calling out the madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,118 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The criminality may well be going on and I'm not denying that barber shops and nail salons might be used to launder money, but the numbers of people involved must be relatively small. The overwhelming number of migrant workers in Ireland have PPS numbers (and national insurance numbers in the UK) and are paying taxes.

When I say urban myth, I mean the amount of non nationals involved in criminal gangs or criminal enterprise / fraud must be very much on the small side. Ditto with Irish people, there can't be that many involved in the 'black economy' these days or doing nixers, not with the country at full employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Once again you are conflating "migrant workers" with what we are discussing here - refugees, fake IPA claimants and the like.

No one has a problem with workers from overseas, but you know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Gamergurll

The left are rooting for slave labour, we have entered the Twilight zone

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

this and orban saying he’ll hire buses and land the illegals in Brussels .meanwhile here in la la land welcome the world with no papers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭prunudo

the warnings have been there, the lessons and case studies were avaliable for all to see, yet our lot are too arrogant and think they know better and can buck the trend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,680 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The key weakness with this argument is the phrase "fleeing war and persecution".

We have known for years that the vast majority of AS are not fleeing war and persecution.

That is the whole point of the opposition to them. They are not genuine, they are actually economic migrants.

They themselves often admit this, and the Ministers have stated it, over and over.

I sometimes think the AS, even though they are bogus and often illegal immigrants, are sometimes more honest than their supporters here.

Their supporters here, e.g. Labour / SocDems, some elements within SF, NGOs, etc. repeatedly lie, for example Sinead Gibney during the European elections, and many more like her.

Whereas Newstalk or RTE have interviewed Egyptian bogus AS who say "I am here for a better life".

And who could blame him.

Is there war in Albania, Georgia, the USA, South Africa?

No.

All the AS from these places are bogus.

They should be processed, not in 68 weeks, but in 68 hours, and sent home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,680 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

See ESRI Research Series 72, June 2018

See section 3.4

50% of all AS were from Bangladesh and Pakistan

If they are really fleeing persecution [hint: they aren't] ask yourself why did they come all the way here?

It turns out that in fact, they arrived from the UK. They already had visas in the UK.

They are bogus AS, like the majority of AS.

I feel like I should state the obvious here, just in case.

But when they say fleeing war and persecution, it very much can be one or the other.

The country the person is leaving doesn't have to be at war.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭engineerws

We could all be alive and dreaming or dead and remembering but I personally work on the principle that I am alive and conscious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,612 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Absolutely sickening what our country is becoming

This government has so much to answer for and in years to come people will look back and say this is when Ireland lost its way. For me this is right up there with the recession of 2000s, a deeply tragic event and brought the country to it's knees.

This absolute blight is going create a far right party, we see European countries are heading this way and front and center is immigration. Ireland will be no different but due to Ireland being on the edge of Europe it's slower to change.

I **** despise this with it with all my heart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,612 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

But but but “international obligations”

Wont someone think of the left wing nutters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭whatever.

Huh indeed

You originated this subtext by trying to defend (fake) asylum seekers negative cost to society and by defending the near slave labour of the roles they take up

You also tried to conflate generic 'immigrants' as obfuscation and to try and deludedly attach equivalency.

I pointed out we allow in only those who will contribute with regard skilled immigration (there are specified income limits) and EU citizens even though they are both distinctly different categories to (fake) asylum seekers

Further with your disreapect for Polish and accession state citizens they are specifically bound by not being able to seek social assistance and must be able to support themselves or leave

It would be best it you familiarised yourself with the freedom of movement conditions

Allowing the creation of a massive poorly educated, illiterate, employer exploited underclass because of the 'feelings' of the Minister for Justice will destroy communities and sow permanent divisions within society

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I would go back to the high priest of globalisation Sutherland

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Sn@kebite

LoL german leftists panicking as they're power is under threat from the AFD.

We need this everywhere, the level of migration is utterly sickening. All done for ngos to rake in money nothing to do with nessessity nor compassion. Just social science graduates trying to make earners for themselves.

I bet the governments despise the fact people can vote. Similarly to labour uk reaction to brexit. Total frothing at the mouth bile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭twinytwo

You wont ever get any real answer to this as he is unable to give one…. this is where his position falls apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The biggest facilitators of ultra right wing parties coming to power are the previous governments and their ultra liberal policies on immigration.

We are far closer to this happening in Ireland because Fianna Gael have never stuck to the proper rules on Immigration. I.e, to claim assylum, you need to have proof that you are actually fleeing war and you need papers and a passport to prove who you are. And then you need to be deported if your claim for asylum fails.

Only 1% of FAILED asylum seekers are currently deported from Ireland. So to all intents and purposes we have an international open border. If the whole world wanted to come into Ireland, they could.

Let that sink in.

I just seen on Facebook a picture of the organizer behind one of the says no groups.

He never worked a day in his life, lives in a council house and a regular in the local off license.

Normal people who want to peacefully protest are not going to associate themselves with people like this.

It is frustrating for people who want common sense and it's great for the government that people like this are behind these groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Very interesting podcast with Mandy Johnston's guest Katja Hoyer (The Guardian) re how the AfD did so well in Germany recently.

1st item -

https://www.goloudplayer.com/episodes/why-the-position-off-the-suns-af-ZGM2N2I4ZDFlYjhkYjFiNGMzOTlhNDJkZGRhODI0MjI%3D

It seems Germany's 'scatter them everywhere' policy didn't go down too well - Sound familiar?

Another piece by the Guardian where they do what the Guardian do - 'OMG, Far right everywhere!' - Now, having said that, I do have a soft spot for the Guardian - I would've sat on a tube train many a morning on the way to work with the broadsheet proudly displayed…but that was then.

The basic message I'm getting and feeling is, that you can only s**t on people from so high and for so long before it backfires spectacularly - If you keep pushing and pushing, something will give. Successive governments have known for a long time that the Irish electorate are actually a bit thick and are seemingly bound by this lifelong party loyalty irrespective of the fact that their continued support of one of 'the two', will likely change this country forever and not in a good way.

When I say the Irish electorate are a bit thick, it's only on certain matters - let's take the hypothetical example of Mary voting in the EU elections -

Well Mary, did you vote in the EU elections?

I did of course - I was on my way to the bingo and I dropped into the school and gave that dancing girl off the telly a vote…see seemed nice.

This is the same Mary that just a few months previously, exercised Machiavellian levels of guile and cunning ensuring that the 1.5 acres, that was 100% guaranteed to go to her neighbour, ended up in her land portfolio.

Welcome to Craggy Ireland

Craggy Ireland doesn't have an AfD party or anything like it, or even a credible opposition party of any hue for that matter - I think the only way to achieve the same dramatic turnaround that the AfD have caused in German policies recently, is to cram Leinster house with independents in the GE - This should result in complete chaos and another GE called within a few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭prunudo

What does it matter about his background. This is what the government and pro immigration ngos want you to think. They are digging dirt on anyone organsied with the protests to try and discredit them and diminish their following.

If you believe the governments handling of the situation is wrong, get out and protest.

• Advertisement

Whether or not I believe in deportations has very little to do with it.

The facts are that it's extremely difficult to deport people, and expecting it to happen on any scale is entirely unrealistic.

When people talk about the pressures on housing and services coming from immigration it's hard to understand why there's so much focus on IPAs. Personally I think a lot of it is fear-mongering from the populist press and social media, coupled with good ol fashioned racism and xenophobia. Hard to see why else people would be so concerned about the relatively very small number of IPAs we have living in Ireland.

Advertisement