Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline: "I'm down in the hood, I'm on tik-tok" sez Joe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭Tow

My mothers horror was having to go past Patrick Kavangh on the way to/from school. By all accounts he was a dirty old man who probably should be cancelled, rather then held in the high regards he is today.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭mountain

Duffy has been wallowing in, and encouraging the callers for best part of a week, and towards end of the show, mentions in passing that RTE website has helpline numbers,

These callers should be contacting the helplines not Liveline, irresponsible broadcasting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

A new lay teacher came to our school she was young, goodlooking and wore lovely clothes and knee high boots. She'd get wolf whistles - when it was fashionable - when she'd walk down the town.

On her first day in our class she threw open a question to the class. The whole class knew the answer and eager to please the new teacher we all put up our hands and in unison repeated 'Oyster Oyster Oyster Oyster Oyster'

The new teacher nearly dived under the desk with fear I think. Thirty plus pupils yelling 'Oyster' at her must have scared the s*it outta her if she hadn't heard it before.Oysters are fish she told us. I'd never heard of Oysters then but I had heard of and eaten lobsters.

When she found out that we were saying 'I sister I sister I sister I sister' she forbid us from saying it anymore in her class. We were just to raise our hands in silence if we know the answer to a question. It was very hard to change the habit of a lifetime.

It didn't take long for her to learn the ropes so to speak for within a month of starting her teaching job she was dishing out slaps for anyone putting up their hand and saying 'Oyster Oyster Oyster'

Post edited by Tow on

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭squonk

Gave up listening but how did we go from a relatively widespread but controllable mess that was handsy priests to general school beatings that pretty much everybody got well into the 80s. Is he trying to tag that onto a redress scheme now too? Absolute bullshit if that’s what he’s up to. Exercise will be due and form if redress at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

How did we get to where we are now? Obsolutely zero oversight from any so called management in RTE. No-one telling Joe "no". Nobody saying to him "You know what, I dont think that topic is going to attract audiences, entertain people or have the phone ringing off the hook".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Have to agree. There doesn't seem to be any accountability to higher management.

I'd say most of the management are on holidays as it nearly shuts down for the summer.

It’s funny. I’d say he knows he has until next year on his contract and can do what he likes. They’re not going to buy him out at this point. I’ve a feing he’d make Lottie look like an amateur with the amount of poor me press he’d generate if Kev showed him the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Red Fred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Said it before but I'll repeat it again for recap and for new posters.

My friends wife works in radio and has a friend who was a production team member of Liveline. The show staff could be in from as early as 7AM chasing info, topics and following up on same with a view to putting the bones of the show together for a production meeting for approx 11AM.

Joe regularly walks into the meeting to throw out his own topic and agenda that has to be covered or else. Cue a scramble from staff to put a new show together based on his personal whim of the moment and to his liking; naturally Joe disappears off when this is all going on only to arrive in for the 12:40PM preview.

Most days he's gone soon after 3PM and is absent for the post production pre tomorrow show meeting. Rinse and repeat.

If you wondered why the show is rudderless and full of cronies and repeat cawlurs and jaded topics about Joker and Whacker, ask no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,627 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes the shows bread and butter was the randomness of the topics, you could get someone calling from a villa in Marbella looking for someone to bring over 3 sliced pans of Brennans Bread for a wedding to someone needing a hand finding their lost parrot last spotted on a factory roof in Inchicore, now it's turned in to an obscure load of rubbish, it's like the misery section of the Late Late Show over and over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,973 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Folks, stop ye're whinging, Joe is bigger than RTE. (and when I say that, I mean he really is bigger than RTE)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,219 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Government says it will respect Apple's EU court ruling

The Irish government didn't want the money first time around. I wonder what will be their response this time. "The Irish government said it would respect the ruling". That's very magnanimous of them. 😐 I think they've no option but to accept and respect it now, even though they fought it for years with Irish taxpayers money, as I think today's decision is a final ruling.

That money might see us over the line with the completion costs of the National Children's Hospital, and if we're lucky the government might have just about enough left over to build themselves another ridiculous bike shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,322 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Joe will be eyeing up his chunk of that €13 billion - add on another 700k from Apple to the €750m RTE to go towards Joe's going away present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,070 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

hopefully they will finally use it on some substantial infrastructure works. Metro and a few new prison's. Just avoid using BAM, as the penny should have dropped by now, the initial cheapest tender does not always turn out to be the cheapest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

There's a bunch of European countries lining up to get a slice of that money and I hope they get it.

Anyway, the Irish govt would simply splurge it on buying the next election or their second favourite past time, supporting their 'accomodation partners' via illegal immigration.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Guessing by the silence that it's another day of misery?

• Advertisement

Didn't hear today's promo, but assume that Joe is continuing to work on building up his muscles, particularly in his right arm.

Silence is golden. Especially so when the alternative is what yesterday was.

I remember Billy Connolly talking about his music teacher. I will look for the clip, but I remember it going "She was a big fan of all the modern teaching methods. Like grabbing you by the back of the neck and smashing your face into the desk".

Found it:

Post edited by LambshankRedemption on

€13bn will buy an awful lot of tents!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,219 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Even Joe should appreciate that this is a landmark ruling and an eye watering amount of money. It would take over 6,000 Joe's "working" for more than 6,000 years to "earn" that money.

Give Up Yer Aul Sins Joseph and cover a topic people are actually interested in.

Today in Studio S7.1:

• Command Chair: Just Joe, self proclaimed lad of more intelligence than a Wolfe Tone fan.

Possible Topics:

• Avalanche of Calls: Physical Abuse in schools of 5,6,7,9 and 10 year old's with broken arms and legs etc.
    • Stammer: Getting bet to say de word.
    • Getting Bet wan: People in their 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s not able to sleep since getting a belt for not knowing their spellings and asking what is adultery is etc.

Banned Topics:

• Macrones for de friends of Montrose
    • Welfare raided to fund RTE Digout
    • Wolfe Tone vs Montrose
    • Kneecap de Kneecapping picture
    • State of Hospitals
    • De Missing Ducks of St. Stephen's Green
    • De Unwell
    • De Undocumented
    • RVM Machine Tax
    • Inflation
    • Lack of Doctors
    • Lack of Dentists
    • Lack of Gaffs
    • Lack of punishment for Crime/Goal Accommodation

Not that many if the OPW get the contract to supply them!

You know what else was in de borders of Irish law Joseph? The Apple tax. Let’s talk about that instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

abuse FM.

As Derek Mooney would say:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Intergenerational trauma, me hole !

• Advertisement

He didn’t speak fur 3 months. Pity he didn’t decide to not speak fur 3 months today.

Give Up Yer Aul Sins Joseph and cover a topic people are actually interested in.

You must be new here.

Back to beatings today, well I am switching over to NewsTalk and Sean Moncrief at 2pm. Maybe for good.

Thats another listener Joe has lost. Good work Joe!

I’ll be signing off soon but this all sounds like people angling for €€€€€

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,322 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Joe - this show is corporal punishment for the listener.

I'm out

Savagely abused…

1.45 in the afternoon, and this is what RTE are broadcasting, isn’t there anything else in the country happening?

The 13B will be going on Compo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,973 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Once again, we hear the host get his sick jollies from listening to victims' tales of misery and woe.

Feck dis. I'm out.

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Rte will get a share of the 13 billion.

What are you talkin about Joe ?

50 months ??

He was 1520 days old FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

GBH of the earhole, as Arthur Daley would have said.

you never know who’ll be on the other side of a door…

Exactly, and that was the beauty of the show in the mid 90's when Marian was the host. You did not know the topic or direction of each day until you heard the show at 1:45. Not even the days when she was off and literally anybody could be recruited to present in lieu, but the show still was about the man and woman on the street. Okay, sometimes the topics were nonsense or twee while other days they were infuriating or hard on the emotions, but you knew that the topics on the how was definitely led by what calls came in; it was about you and me.

Now it's all about Joe and his sick, depraved, twisted ego and whatever is boiling his piss.

Lowers his voice….

you were 50 months old…

He’s a f uckibg creep

'Buke'

Deres de udder shoe dropping

a buke.

• Advertisement

Joe incredulous that the caller was sent to school aged 4.

Don't most people go to school at 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭johnbarrett35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

I think he's incredulous that a 4 year old had the shite beaten out of him by a teacher.

Not in Ballyer in 19 sixty whatever, therefore nobody does.

• Advertisement
Advertisement