Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone-NBI: High latency every evening

• 08-09-2024 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Having a latency issue with Vodafone FTTH over NBI and I'm hoping to see if this is a widespread issue with Vodafone or something with the setup.

Using a Unifi Gateway (UXG Lite) connected directly to the NBI ONT (not using the Vodafone Modem).

Noticed on the controller dashboard over the past few days that been latency spikes each night and looking through the logs it seems like it's happing nearly every evening, and started in early June.

Generally between 20:30 and 21:30, the controller reported latency goes from 13ms, up to 150-250ms for anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours and then goes back to normal.

Is this a widespread issue with Vodafone?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mossie

I had an issue last night with Vodafone on NBI where I was getting less than 100Mbps instead of my usual 900+. Lasted from around 8pm (at least that's when I noticed it) until 11pm. Ping seemed fine just very slow speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭pacman114

Have had this issue for the last few months…also with Vodafone via NBI. It’s very annoying!

Also using a Unifi gateway but have put back in the Vodafone gigabox and it still happens. A reboot of the ONT or gateway resolves it but it’s really annoying…internet is almost unusable between 9 and 10 or so. LAN connectivity is fine it’s just the WAN that has the high latency.

Have reported it to Vodafone but no resolution has been found. Tempted to move supplier over it. If you find a solution please update!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭heavydawson

@pacman114 @mossie I'm assuming its unlikely you're in close proximity to one another so was wondering if it might be Vodafones DNS servers? Are you using Vodafones hardware and/or their own DNS servers or have you configured Vodafones/Your-Own router to use custom DNS servers?

I’d say it’s unlikely. I have tried Google and Clouldflare DNS on the WAN interface with my Unifi box. The DNS servers are not changeable on the WAN of the Vodafone gigabox. Same issue exists regardless…

it’s an annoying issue that obviously is affecting more then one user…at least it seems to be a Vodafone issue. Might look to move to Eir but really don’t want to!

Using my own DNS. It seems to have been a one off with me last Sunday, fine since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Dero

This is strange. I'm with Digiweb on NBI and I've been noticing the same thing. I never paid much heed to it because it didn't affect the connection - i.e. it went from excellent to very good for a couple of hours in the evening. I decided to track it a bit more after seeing this thread, but lo and behold, it hasn't happened since. Maybe some piece of NBI kit was struggling and got upgraded.

Still happening me most evenings unfortunately…even causes buffering in the evenings which is really annoying! At least a reboot of the router resolves for the day.

I have an issue again tonight. Ping is fine - 9ms but download is at 15% of normal.

Is still an issue for people in the evenings? Still having this issue on Vodafone NBI

• Advertisement

Occasionally but not every evening. Maybe twice in the last 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Mikhail Reznov

I've just got my NBI connection installed with Vodafone and I'm also having weird issues on the first night and second night of use. Between 8-10 pm ish I started having micro lags ingame which looked like packet loss since I didn't see the ping spike. The download speed also was hitting around 280-500 where I usually max out 940/114 every other time. I tried contacting customer service but all they say is that my order is still "open" so my speeds will be in and out which makes no sense at all. It only seems to happen at that time like yourselves. Rebooting the router via the settings menu is the only thing that worked. If I just press the button on and off on the router issue persists. Clicking reconnect on the fibre line tab also doesn't work.

Same thing is happen to me almost every evening. Did you report to Vodafone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Whocare

Recently got fibre broadband Vodafone nbi and went it was first Installed about 3 weeks ago I getting speed test of nearly 500 now tonight it hopeless 64 like what happing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Whocare

It gone pure rubbish

@pacman114 Yeah we did but they gave me a silly answer like because my TV box hasn't arrived yet and order is still "open" "the speeds will in and out". Doesn't really make any sense considering I get full speed every other time of the day. The only fix is rebooting the router via the settings button. Nothing else seems to fix it.

@Whocare If you haven't already tried this. The fix for me is going to 192.168.1.1 - logging in - going to settings - then hitting reboot device and that usually fixes it for me. But we all should definitely report it and complain.

I'd suggest logging a formal complaint here:

Make A complaint Here | Vodafone Ireland

I did it and got a generic reply but at least it's logged. Their reply contained the following:

We want to assure you that we are addressing your concerns and would like to clarify a few points regarding the situation:

1. The current issue is related to infrastructure, which means that your internet speed may fluctuate based on the usage of other connections in the same cabinet.
    2. Since this does not involve the fiber optic lines or our equipment, we may not be able to escalate this for a technician visit.
    3. We understand this is frustrating, and as part of our commitment to you, we can place you out of contract should you decide to switch providers, allowing you to move without any termination charges.
    4. Additionally, mobile broadband remains an option if you are seeking an alternative solution for the time being.

All of which are bad options. Not sure if they are admitting there is a fault and are looking into it. But as you said there is nothing wrong with the fibre connection as it is perfect during the day. Issue is with their backend at peak times. Maybe an ISP change is the only solution.

I'll do the same and see if it helps. I don't appear to have issues with latency but mainly download speed will drop off at that time and I have to reboot the router to fix.

Maybe don't bother, they don't consider it an issue at their end! Reply from their complaints department:

While we understand this is a concern, it is important to note that this issue is not related to hardware or technical faults on our end. It is primarily influenced by the level of demand on the internet connections to the cabinet during peak usage times.

We have previously addressed this matter, but unfortunately, we are unable to provide a specific resolution or service level guarantee at this moment. However, we would be happy to explore alternative solutions with you. Please review the options outlined below, and let us know if any of them meet your needs. We are here to assist you further.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Glaceon

You'd be better off switching ISP in my opinion. Sounds like Vodafone can't get their act together.

• Advertisement

Agreed. From looking at the Sky forums they seemed to have a similar issue recently and it seems they have resolved it.

Mine had generally been ok for the last couple of weeks but it's very dodgy tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭eronayne

where about are people impacted ? Is it a couple of pockets like Sky had. Or more widespread?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bewareofthedog

I was with vodafone once, nothing but similar problems. High latency/low download speeds. I complained everyday and they eventually left me out of the contract. IMO they have the worst internal network in Ireland and their support is one of the worst. I would be looking at changing ISPs its not worth the heartache.

I'm getting about half the speed on the 2gb package from 8-10 as well. Rebooting doesn't even fix it anymore and neither does reconnecting the fibre from reset connections settings. Vodafone.

Advertisement