Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Mobile, coming to Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭beachhead

Spoke to 2 SKY customers.Neither has received any notification about a mobile set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If you like dog slow data speeds. You get vodafone signal but dreadful data processing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭DopeTech

must not be set up for marketing mails most likely

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Nollog

Its on the main sky website.

Sky.com , click "deals", scroll down a tiny bit.

Interesting, seems like devices etc are part of the plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭PH0NER

Here's hoping they have plans more comparable to GoMo, 48 and Tesco rather than Vodafone's high pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

So there will be no PAYG option?

And, reduction in bill once your device is paid off?

And you'll have to buy a phone from them as part of the deal??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Delta2113

The brand will launch on Tuesday, and will include a €15 a month offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭DopeTech

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

I predict a pain in the arse contract that requires an annual argument with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Sky are difficult to get out of contract with, wouldn't be signing up with them for mobile, plenty of cheaper options out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭rhinosaurious

Out of curiosity, can I ask how you know? I don't see it on the website yet, thanks 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Post edited by Delta2113 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Sunday Independent business section article yesterday, interview with JD Buckley, Sky Ireland CEO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭eronayne

To be fair the process for moving your mobile is a process well known and regulated, porting your number to another provider automatically closed your airtime contract with the loosing provider, no need to make contact and go through a cancelation process assuming you have reached the end of any minimum term you have signed up to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,377 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Confirmed, launching in the morning, will be using Vodafone network, €15 a month 5G, unlimited calls, texts and data.

Sky Mobile said it is offering over 99% 4G coverage and 5G coverage across the country along with 4G calling, all of which are included as standard in its plans.

"Our launch plan for customers is unlimited calls, texts and 5G data for €15 and that price is for life," said Sky Ireland CEO JD Buckley.

The company said customers will have access to worldwide roaming services, available in over 150 countries and a 'roam like home' service which will be available in 44 countries including the UK and EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

They're doing 36 month contracts!

That's not very appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭PH0NER

Website is now live. I tried to sign up, but checkout is not working for me yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

12 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

12 month contract on Sim only, but if you take a phone its 36 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Peculiar that they refer to their plans as "5G ready" rather than "5G". The small print in the T&Cs says 5G devices will work as 4G until a "software upgrade". This suggests that Sky don't have 5G working?

While I am not an Apple iPhone fan, it is strange that Sky don't have any Apple devices. Apple have very strict compliance requirements before they allow anyone use their brand. Perhaps Sky haven't got everything working to Apple's satisfaction yet?

12 months minimum contract is taking a risk for an unproven provider. Services like GoMo or PAYG SIMs allow users to try out a service for a month before committing.

I wonder if Sky mobile customers will suffer from the same IP zone blocking that is currently impacting Sky's broadband customers in Ireland, which is preventing them receiving RTE, Virgin, and smart-speaker streaming services that are geo-blocked from outside Ireland? (Sky customers are being treated as if they are in UK, and can currently receive some UK services that are normally geo-blocked from Ireland - but this probably won't last)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭GIMP

They don't appear to be offering Sky Tv or broadband customers any option to bundle or discounts , seems a logical step like Virgin do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Unlimited at home calls texts AND DATA in UK and Europe. That's a fantastic deal imho for anyone who travels across Europe. Yes we have data roaming with others, but that's limited. This is a huge pro if you're a data hungry user.

Apparently this is a limited introductory offer.

I'm ordering!

Anyone else getting this message when ordering the SIM?

We can't process your request online right now

Please call us on 0818 719 819

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Glaceon

It looks promising, even supporting VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling from the start. But I'll hold off for now. Like @babelfish1990 said, it's a risk opting into a 12 month contract with such a new provider.

I don't get any IP blocking on my sky bb?

So it's a price for life but you need to constantly renew the contract?

I cannot find this info. Why they say €15 a month, what's a month? Is it like billed day on the 1st of each month? Every 28 days? No info here, but I'm guessing it's the former. There is a tariff link, but that just results in an error.

Where does it reference wifi calling? I saw them mentioning volte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Advertisement