Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I don't think they normally play sports with their penis do they?

If they don't have male levels of testosterone (whether endogenous or administered) I wouldn't see a problem. Do you have any examples of any such athletes though, so we can have an idea of their performances?

Oh, and since I'm posting anyway, here's a link to the Times and discussion of the IOC's polling of athletes about the sex screening tests:

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,693 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No I don't have notable examples, was only just highlighting that the proposed method for screening males would miss some people who are in fact male and those males would be allowed to compete under that rule.

Biologically male, but without male advantage in terms of muscle mass, heart and lung size etc, right?

No problem.

(The reason you have no names is because most people with DSDs don't have an advantage over others of the same sex as them. It's ONLY biological males with male levels of testosterone and having gone through male puberty who have such an advantage over female athletes that it's a problem.)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

I don't know if there is a study out there of comparative non-sexual organ characteristics for XX males that would settle that question. They could have otherwise normal lung and heart capacity and muscle mass, couldn't tell you otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Duhhh!!!! That's the whole point of having the test. We wouldn't need to test otherwise.

I know what the point of the test is, that has nothing to do with the objections to the test which I pointed out.

As already stated, I have no problem with that, so you are clearly provably wrong when you say that nobody wants to open that can of worms. As usual.

And who the hell are you when you’re at home? You’re nobody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Enduro

I think you're missing the point that she is referring to screening test. A screening test does not need to be final. Anyone who does not pass a simple basic screening test could/should have the right to more comprehensive testing. A competent governing body should be able to have processes to deal with this.

fair enough.

Also typo in my post, edited, I don't have examples.

Ah yeah, when you're proven wrong resort to weak attempts at personal insults. That's shown us all the depth of your argument for sure.

I actually guessed that and read it the way you intended!

It's pretty simple: if they don't have functioning testes producing male levels of testosterone, and androgen-sensitivity to respond to that testosterone, then unless they are getting artificial testosterone, they will have a female "sized" body in terms of heart, lung, muscles, bone weight etc, whether or not they have visibly male genitals.

• Advertisement

Taking that unsavory practice we touched on earlier, a XX male future competitor could they not spend years on testosterone treatments that grow their muscles, heart, lungs, etc. and then have their testosterone levels lowered by the time of screening?

I realize that sounds outlandish but if there's those kind of unsavory recruitments going on - outlandish things will happen if there's a loophole to get exploited in the competition rules.

Yes exactly. The cheek swab is just a screening test. Only if there are ambiguous results (or a clear fail) would any further tests be required.

(The XX athletes is a complete swing and a miss. XX athletes with DSDs don't have an inherent physical advantage over women.)

You mean like in the GDR? I don't see the relevance to the discussion here. If that was felt to be a problem, then it would be like any other woman being given testosterone. Or do you have something else in mind?

No it would basically be the same problem albeit with a male and thus being part of the gender debate were it to happen.

You haven’t proven anything though? You didn’t address the point I made about the reason for the objections to the test.

There was no personal insult either, just like there is no ‘us’, just you, and because we’re on an internet forum, your declaration means nothing, you’re a nobody in that sense. I’ve no idea why you imagine there is any greater depth in your own argument, other than it’s because it’s your own argument. I shouldn’t need to point out the issues with that, you’ll have figured them out by the time you finish reading this sentence in order to glean a pithy comeback which will equally be of no value whatsoever to this discussion.

I absolutely agree that if there are gaps in the rules then it's likely that someone somewhere will more than likely try to exploit those gaps. So the rules absolutely need to be written as tightly and comprehensively as possible.

Taking testosterone without a TUE is already banned, as testosterone is a PED, so that is already illegal. Catching someone cheating this way is the problem (Hence the need for the far more intrusive process of drug testing).

Unfortunately getting all your PED cheating done (and the associated training) before coming to the attention of Anti-doping authorities (through competitive performances) in the way you suggest would be more than likely be a viable successful strategy. As such, it probably happens already.

Not sure what you mean.

It would be someone being given testosterone that their own body wasn't able to produce.

If they need that level of testosterone so as to function as a male, then they should be competing with males.

If they want to function as a female, then they don't need exogenous testosterone, and can presumably compete in the female category.

Where exactly is the problem that you see there?

And that’s without pointing out the blatant discrimination in that the test was not typically conducted on athletes competing in the men’s events - nobody wants to open that can of worms 😂

I have very easily proven that assertion of yours to be wrong. You seem to be unable to deal with that without resorting to weak attempts at personal insults.

You haven’t proven anything though. Your declaration that you would have no issue with men being required to undergo sex testing, means nothing. If it were Noah Lyles saying he would have no issue with men being required to undergo sex testing, then that might mean something, but he didn’t even want the results of a Covid test known before he participated in the 200m event.

How many men do you imagine would actually willingly submit themselves for sex testing if it were a requirement the same as women? You wouldn’t be long being told to take a running jump, and the consolation that they are now eligible to compete in the women’s events would mean absolutely nothing - they wouldn’t want to, because they wouldn’t even want the results of the test being leaked to the media, never mind becoming public knowledge as tends to happen ever so accidentally when it happens to women.

That’s even before the idea that because they would then theoretically at least be eligible to compete in women’s events, and I know you’ve thought of that long before it ever occurred to me because well, y’know, you’re you. Again that’s not a personal insult, it’s an acknowledgement of your omnipotence, omniscience and omnipresence.

"Men undergoing sex testing" - no this is a misunderstanding of why sex screening is needed for the female category. Performances are on average significantly lower than in the male category.

If a woman wanted to participate in the male category and qualified to do so, that wouldn't put the males at an immediate disadvantage.

That's why trans men like Quin rarely attempt to move into the male category when they transition, but prefer to stay in the female one. Because they mostly wouldn't even qualify for the equivalent male category. There are a few examples of trans men wanting to join the male category but it's very much the exception.

The easiest solution would be to declare the male categories to be "open" as is often the case in chess. That way only the female category would need this sort of protection which is usually unnecessary in the male category anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Imagine Elliot Page deciding to take men on in boxing

It’s not a misunderstanding, I know how the arguments go to justify the necessity of sex testing as it applies in the women’s category. Those arguments have never justified sex testing, or the various methods which were used, from naked parades, to the Barr body test to the most recent attempts to use hormone testing for the purposes of eligibility in women’s sports.

You’d think it wouldn’t immediately put men at a disadvantage if women were to compete in the men’s category, but that’s not the way men generally feel about it. They’d be just as put out by the idea as women are of men competing in the women’s category. They’d be just as likely to be like “Aw hell no!”, as is the experience of many girls who want to compete in sports with boys - the boys don’t be long making sure girls know they’re not welcome in their sports. Same is more or less true of men when it comes to women who wish to compete in their sports. Men generally see having to accommodate women as putting them at an immediate disadvantage.

Athletes like Quin rarely attempt to participate in sports of any description in the first place, but when they do and they’re accepted in the sport, that’s the reason why they’re not generally willing to consider moving to playing the same sport with men. Athletes like Danny Baker struggle to get a licence in the UK to compete in boxing against men - it’s very much individual circumstances, eg the type of person they are, the sport they compete in, in the country they compete in, and that’s only going from grassroots to national level, never mind international level. Same goes for athletes like Lia Thomas - competing at college level, in one of the most prestigious schools in the US (UPenn) Schuyler Bailar - same, prestigious school (Harvard), swam on the men’s team.

They’re exceptional only because transgender athletes are rare as feckin’ hens teeth in the first place. It feels like there’s more of them due to the fact that they engender significantly more coverage online and in the media than women’s sports has ever achieved. Women’s sports gets about 4% coverage, transgender athletes get significantly more coverage than that even though they only make up about 2% of athletes involved in sports - some countries have higher participation rates than others, some countries are about to have a whole lot less.

There are so many variables involved in progression through the rankings in sports at an individual level, that all this talk of men even getting within an asses roar of top tier elite women’s sports is just fanciful nonsense, frankly, let alone the idea that any man would figure it was worth his while to even attempt to participate in women’s sports - the rewards too, are significantly lower, and women have had to fight tooth and nail for equality with men in terms of renumeration and proper contracts, whether it’s for sponsorship or employment. Men do too, but not anything like women have to fight for everything, no better exemplified by the discrepancy between men and women in the GAA and the LGFA, or the far more famous viral social media post that put to bed any talk of women being at a disadvantage because of biology (it epitomised the discrepancy before biology is ever a factor):

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/19/979395795/mens-and-womens-ncaa-march-madness-facilities-separate-and-unequal-spark-uproar

Chess isn’t a great example as it’s still very much a sport (for the life of me as much as I’m tempted, I’m not going to quibble as I know you’re only using it as an example of an Open category) dominated by men, even given the increase in popularity after Netflix’ The Queens Gambit and the success of online participation, which have elevated the sport, though no significant increase in popularity among women, also not helped by that goof from Ilya Smirin:

https://www.chess.com/news/view/chess-commentator-sacked-sexist-remarks-ilya-smirin

There’s just no protection of women necessary - everyone play by the rules and respect their competition and there won’t be any issues. It just so happens as I’m sure you’re painfully aware - that a lot of men just can’t seem to do that around women, especially when they perceive the idea that women are impeding on their sports by their mere presence alone. If it’s a question of women’s safety, cos let’s face it the reports from sports are dismal, then you’re not doing anything to protect women from men who would seek to abuse them - those men have always been able to have access to women in what they feel are actually their spaces - from coaches to teachers to trainers to physios (not too many of those opportunities in women’s sports admittedly, far more physios in men’s sports, by sheer numbers alone) to managers, including the Handy André Spanish Manager and Coach who only came to worldwide attention for the way he reacted during the Women’s World Cup:
    https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/25/spain-womens-football-team-will-refuse-to-play-until-rubiales-quits

I understand the sort of protection you’re referring to, but it’s simply a fact that said protection doesn’t exist for most women competing in any sport in the first place, and that’s even before theorising outcomes in combat sports - I think boxing or any kind of sports where there is evidence of long-term damage to athletes health should be discouraged. I say discouraged, because I’m fully aware that it’s not going to stop in countries where there is a demand for the sport, even outside of being even more tightly regulated and restricted. However because I understand that there’s more to sports than just belting down a track in a pair of tiny whiteys, or being celebrated on an open-top bus driving down O’ Connell Street, the goal should be less discrimination, not more… except for weirdos like this:

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/why-most-of-chess-players-have-foot-fetish

I mean for people like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭greyday

He has debunked everything you put forward, ripped your arguments to pieces but you cant accept being schooled in this and have resorted to childish tantrums.

Keep the replies short please.

Post edited by greyday at

Even thinking about Elliot Page makes me feel sad. The pain in those eyes.

Ellen Page was subjected to multiple sex assaults from a young age. It's no wonder she decided that being a man in that world had to be easier. I just hope it works out. From what I see of Eliott though, I'm not sure how well that's going.

------------------------------------------

Warned: Notice. Unless you know and can provide proof that this is the reason for this person transitioning this post is a mix of sexist and transphobic. If you have proof of the above then I will remove this notice.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

From what I've seen Elliott Page is just as unhappy as Ellen Page was - the difference being they now have serious medical issues to deal with, far worse and earlier onset than they would have with an unmedicated female body. I'm female and past 50 and take a high dose of calcium and VitD to stave off osteoporosis, whereas Elliot will likely face that at under 40.

I say "likely" as there's no serious data on the long term effects of the hormones they're on. Which is very very sad. I wish them happiness and peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Sorry man but you're not getting what I'm saying

Read what I've said.

There are two issues here. Trans involved in women's sport and Russian propaganda.

I'm only dealing with Russian propaganda which this most certainly is. Perfect opportunity to stoke culture wars, restore the record of Kremlev's pin-up girl and have a pop at the IOC which Kremlev is at war with. CAS threw out the IBA appeal over olympic exclusion last week

Of course there should be a testing regime where there is a dispute or a doubt

Of course someone who is a man should not be fighting a woman in the ring

You keep wheeling out questions like this as a gotcha. Desperately weak way of discussing something, trying to suggest stupidity where there is none.

The IBA "tests" are unverified. Until they are confirmed or properly debunked, Khelif is a woman.

All else here is speculation and opinion or in Volchitsa's case, propaganda.

It's no wonder she decided that being a man in that world had to be easier.

She didn’t decide any such thing though? That’s definitely your own explanation for why Elliot Page is transgender, but they realised they were transgender long before they became an actor in Hollywood where like many children - they were subjected to all manner of horrific sexual abuse by adults (Page has given examples of both men and women abusers). They realised they were transgender when they were about 9, started acting in film about a year later, but your explanation was also proferred when Page came out as lesbian then too, as though being subjected to sexual abuse by adults as a child can change a person’s sexual orientation or gender identity.

That was the rationalisation too used by John Money when he destroyed thousands of families lives in an attempt to prove his theory that sexual identity could be modified by subjecting children to sexual abuse. He didn’t put it like that though, he called it “childhood sexual rehearsal play’, He failed, miserably, but hid the evidence of his failure by manipulating circumstances presenting anyone who questioned his ideas as attacking his reputation as a world renowned sex psychologist.

One of his most famous cases was that of David Reimer - he would encourage David and his twin brother Brian to do things to each other:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer

Unsurprisingly enough, proponents of the theory that sexual abuse committed by adults in childhood provides an explanation for sexual orientation other than heterosexual, and gender dysphoria, never seem to be capable of acknowledging that millions, millions of people experience sexual abuse in childhood perpetrated by adults, and it doesn’t cause them to want to become the opposite sex. It just traumatises them and in many cases leaves them scarred for life. There’s little focus in their theory on the adult(s) who perpetrate sexual abuse on a child, they rarely ask questions like -wtf is that about? They also ignore the fact that the evidence for their theory just doesn’t stand up to any sort of scrutiny, given that being anything but heterosexual or identifying as the opposite sex has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with being sexually abused in childhood by adults.

From Page’s perspective - it’s working out great, they finally feel like themselves. They’re taking on new projects and also involved in advocacy work. It’s definitely a matter of opinion from an outside perspective how it’s working out for them as that’s inherently subjective from an outside perspective. By that I mean that they’ve just wrapped up the fourth and final season of The Umbrella Academy, and it was a truly awful conclusion to a series which showed so much potential in the first three seasons. Page can’t be faulted though - the fourth season was just straight up garbage, in spite of Page putting in an outstanding performance - that alone couldn’t save it.

As for how they’d perform in the ring, never having trained as a boxer? Birneybau asks us to imagine, but you’ll notice that like George Hook hiding the perpetrator out of view in ‘just asking’ is there no blame now for the person who puts themselves in danger, Birneybau too, didn’t mention an opponent - that is left up to the readers imagination. I doubt anyone here is imagining Dylan Mulvaney. For their use of the term “Barbie pouch” alone, I’d love to see Page wipe the floor with them, but at the same time I abhor gratuitous violence, just one of the reasons I don’t think of boxing as a sport, it’s just licensed scumbag behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Mr Bumble

I see you've stopped filling vast acreage of white space with your facts and figures, none of which have any standing until the IBA publish their tests, the criteria used and the results.

Everything you've said is based on those results which you don't know anything about other than what you're read on Kremlev's website. And you enthusiastically embrace the IBA position despite them using the "trust me bro" defence. Hilarious

I like facts and figures and until I see something definitive on Khelif, there is nothing more to say about it.

Yet you have a lot to say - endless long reams of facts and figures, all deriving from a personal friend of Putin and Azalia Amineva, who happens to run the IBA

Get off the stage Vlad

They weren't IBA tests though. They were tests in independent labs, in two different countries, neither of them Russia.

But you think I'm the one posting propaganda.

Right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

It is a bit condescending to presume her reason for becoming a man is because of a sexual assault. It is just a very strange statement to make.

If you made the same statement about a gay person, it would come across as very homophobic.

Advertisement