Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ECJ upholds commission decision on apple tax case

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ASI wasn’t huge outside of Ireland and that was ultimately at the heart of this decision. Irish advisers and Irish Revenue performed a one-sided analysis and came to the conclusion that the Irish branches did not own nor contribute to the management or exploitation of the IP such that the bulk of the profits did not belong to the Irish branch. The Commission effectively said a two-sided analysis must be undertaken such that they must positively prove that the “head office” actually made that contribution. The problem is that contribution was actually by Apple Inc in Cupertino and the ECJ has now determined that if the ASI head office (no employees, fixed assets or activity other than card meetings generally to deal with administrative matters relating to the company rather than in relation to the business per se) was not performing those functions then the profits must be allocated to the Irish branch and taxed here.

Ultimately those profits were generated by activities int he US but not taxable because of the US’s transfer pricing methods.

it’s not an own goal in the part of Apple or its advisers but the analysis will have implications for others which have assessed TP on a one-sided analysis basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

I don’t advocate it, just pointed out that there is no “getting kicked out of EU” path no matter how egregious the dump a state takes on EU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

But they are paying it here, so I have no issue. If they were not paying tax here I'd have a problem, but we're taking in money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Randycove

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If the government are worried about how this will affect Ireland's long term attractiveness to FDI, one of our weaknesses is electricity prices and the length of time it takes to get connected to the grid. We should spend the entire 14 billion to fund modernising the electricity transmission infrastructure, installing the new substations, grid stabilisation and storage facilities needed to harness renewable energy in Ireland, and we will be in a position to attract and keep the industries of the future in Ireland while keeping our electricity prices low and having the potential to export services and energy to our neighbours, while combatting climate change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

That'll be a fun referendum

"So, Do you want us to give 14 billion euros back to Apple, or spend it on {insert favourite cause here}"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

But it won't be used for that.

As soon as we found out about the budget surplus due talk was about tax cuts and social welfare increases everywhere which are nice and all but have no long term benefit.

This money will be pissed away because that's what our politicians do.

It could be used to fix the housing issue for good but that would be too sensible so they won't do that.

not under current law in any country. Digital service taxes and/or Pillar One would have to be enacted to give taxing rights to European market jurisdictions. The country which is losing out is the US which generally houses the companies which are entitled to the residual profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

We'll only get a small fraction of that 13b,other eu states can line up to receive their share of it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Dr.Tom

Romantic Ireland’s dead and gone, It’s with O’Leary in the grave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

according to peregrinus's post on page 1, that idea was put to bed in the judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Na 38k of them at the Dail price, I say they be discounted at that amount probably 40k+

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Very good analysis, thanks.

Your second paragraph - can I ask you have/will the profits be, eventually, tax in the USA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Dream On. Final judgement it's 14billion now with interesting. One thing for sure there will be some Manifestos for the general election now grants for everyone in the audience

Slava Ukrainii

It would be great to see this €13bn invested in infrastructure projects for the state (e.g. metro).

Unfortunately I'd expect paltry increases in welfare rates and silly tax cuts, until the balance is frittered away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Who gets the cash. Some people say it's ours others say its split between the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

People are going on about this being bad for Ireland and the government, but I am not so sure.

First of all, the tax arrangements that led to this are long gone.

And OECD wide Corporate Tax arrangement of 15% is also in place.

Ireland, the state, did what it can to try and defend its position and has put a marker down that it is willing to go all the way to the ECJ over it. This was as much about optics as anything else. American FDI knows this now, so are more than happy to know that if there is a future fight in Ireland about tax, the state is going to back them on it.

That is all Ireland can do really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

We definitely have to

at this stage?There won't be any more appeals?

they were already taxed in the US as part of the deemed repatriation arising after Trump’s Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. I seem to recall Apple stated that USD20bn US tax had arisen on those profits which seems reasonable as US used a rate varying between 8% and 15.5% on that occasion. No credit could have been claimed for potential Irish tax as it was not then due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭eoinbn

As much as I would like to see a metro in my life time I cannot support the building of one until we sort our planning laws and put the correct process in place. We can afford to spend 1bn-2bn euros per km, let's be realistic - that is what it will end up costing, when countries are building it for a fraction of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…its time for us to be adults with this to, taxes clearly need to rise, so we can start sorting our most critical of issues, and increasing average joe and marys taxes aint gonna work, time to start moving towards a slow increase in taxes towards wealth and the accumulation of wealth, including corporate taxes, is the only way to solve these issues, or your kids, grandkids, nieces and nephews are screwed…..

…this is a really good call, hopefully it means we re starting to become adults in this thinking….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Of course it's bad for Ireland and it's credibility. There is now a precedent that if you have an agreed corporate tax strategy with the Revenue Comissioners, the EU can go "Nah, that's too good" and be forced to pay back taxes that you may not be capable of doing.

The ruling removes any MNC's confidence in the stability of Irish taxation policy and that the Revenue Commissioners opinions can be relied upon.

Ireland bent over backwards accepting EU policies that were not in our interest for the last 20 or so years in order to avoid taxation policy being examined. In the end they came for it anyway.

Now it's gone, perhaps the country can go back to pursuing it's own interests in non-taxation areas, instead of rolling over and accepting everything. I think over the coming years as the guard changes at the top, a more aggressive and self interested stance towards the EU will emerge.

This has always been way overstated as an MNC draw, particularly more recently. Yes, language and time zone help a bit but it's taxation that they come for.

MNC's particularly in tech have great difficulty recruiting locally and have to bring in talent from overseas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Oh we have had the opposition going off on this again today. Here is MLMD:

"Ms McDonald said her party would spend the money on housing and infrastructure.

She said she was not concerned that the decision could have repercussions for Ireland’s foreign direct investment strategy, adding that the multinational sector chose Ireland for its education and talent base."

I think this could become a factor in the next general election. There are three knock-on issues. What parties do we trust to maintain our MNC corporate base, to manage and spend the €13bn and finally maintain our good relations in Europe. If we elect a party with a history of hostility to MNCs and the EU, and that has zero experience in managing those kind of sums, then we will deserve everything we get. The stakes are higher than they were a day ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Could this lead to a series of pay increase claims for civil and public servants?

Unlikely. Bumper tax revenue and ferocious inflation have only resulted in modest increases that don't track inflation.

This was a one off windfall. If the government decide to splurge it will be on a project, not current spending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

My guess is that the money will be used to bolster the pension fund, which has many big holes in it right now.

I think looooong term the decision will cost Ireland money as the multinationals adjust their tax policy so this doesn't happen to them.

• Advertisement

It's not tax policy they'll adjust, they will relocate.

There is no point locating here for low tax reasons if you have to keep a massive cash buffer available if the EU Commission can turn around and say they underpaid.

In the medium term some US administration is going to change corporate tax there to allow US companies to bring money overseas home at a favourable rate. When that happens, the game of warehousing IP in some brass plate office in Dublin will be over. And it will end suddenly, along with the taxes.

Court decisions, referendums, ask again and again until the right answer emerges. Tis the European way.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

theyll probably give it all to rte on condition that dee is brought back to make sure its spent wisely…

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

"You are him…the one they call the "Baba Yaga"…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think looooong term the decision will cost Ireland money as the multinationals adjust their tax policy so this doesn't happen to them.

I doubt it. The whole case relates to deals that happened in 1991 and 2007.

A lot of international tax treaties and rule changes have happened since then, including on the back of this case.

The rules have been tightened, the hilarity being those rule changes make Ireland more money.

Anyway it's quite obvious what it needs to spent on. MonoRail!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't think it'll have any great effect on multinationals leaving. It's not easy for many of them and they are still making a pile of cash here whilst paying proper corporation tax now.

I mean, its not like Intel can up sticks tomorrow and go elsewhere, they have a huge plant there now, it's not something they are going to walk away from soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭taratee

No, I am open to correction but I was under the impression that part of the original agreement was that the money has to be ring-fenced for debt reduction.

Am Yisrael Chai

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interestingly, this irish times article seems to suggest the idea of other countries wanting a slice of the pie was not put to bed:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2024/09/10/what-is-going-on-with-the-apple-tax-case-and-what-does-it-mean/

"The only possible wrinkle is the original European Commission judgment suggested that some other EU countries where Apple made sales might have a claim on some of the money. It remains to be seen if any emerge."

if you think this was about warehousing IP in some brass plate office in Dublin then it’s clear that you don’t understand it. The point here is that Apple was asserting it was “warehoused” elsewhere, perhaps without a brass plate even. The point of the judgement is that without the substance overseas, the ECJ sees it as defaulting to Ireland where a load of contact centre workers, sales support, etc were managing the global billions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ridiculous suggestion. EU law cannot be subordinated to domestic law in any member state. Otherwise each country could pick and choose which rules it wants to abide by and which rules to ignore. That might be good for the big countries but it'd be terrible for the small ones.

Not only can we not ignore the ruling, why would we want to? It relates to a historical issue and international tax laws have changed quite a bit in the meantime.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭carveone

Back of the envelope calculation for a very conservative investment into the Dow Jones, from 2018 to end of 2023, gives me about 22bn euro. Where the other 9bn?

There's a saying to never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Noone is this stupid. To make a loss after 8 years of one of the longest bull markets in history is impossible.

Where's our €9bn?

Edit: just did the calculation for Apple stock. 67bn euro. That's unreal.

Were they allowed to 'invest' the money in any conventional way? Maybe the the court ordered the government to leave it 'resting' in the escrow account, whatever that is…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭carveone

I don't believe there were any court ordered limits on investments but I admit I'm not reading deeply in to the process.

It looks like Amundi, Blackrock and Goldman Sachs were appointed to provide investment management services with a low risk mandate. And pay themselves 6m a year.

Looks like most of it was government bonds which haven't done well.

It just looks to me like more bad value for money, that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some commentator on the radio this morning said that the fund actually lost a couple of hundred million euro in value at one stage whilst it was in escrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

13bn , could install at least 4 more bicycle sheds with that . Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Government should buy an iPhone for everyone in the country with the rebate

• Advertisement

Chambers confirms it cost 10 million in legal fees to pursue a policy of refusing 13 billion euro.

Even if you bought an iphone 16 pro for everyone (including newborns etc.) you'd still be only spending about half of it…

Independent tax policy and sovereignty is the issue here.

And it looks like we don't have either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement