Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail New Proposed Timetable - August 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭Polar101

Got caught in this gap, I thought there was a 18:47 train. I just missed the 18:35 (even though it was 6 minutes late), and then had to wait for the 19:17. Previously it would have been possible to get the 19:00 from Docklands instead, but they moved the Dockland services 5 minutes back as well.

And the 19:17 was just one train, so it was super busy.

One thing I hadn't noticed before is that all the "quick" services from Clonsilla seem to be gone, earlier there were a few Docklands trains and at least one Connolly train (around 4:40pm) that only stopped at Broombridge.. now they stop at all stations. Except the 8:03am from Connolly to Maynooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Didn't IE do a massive city centre resignaling project a few years back to improve the throughput of the loop line bridge? Why is Connolly struggling to cope. The problem shouldn't be facilitating the train movements at this stage, rather it should be how can we get trains to transit the city centre faster given that all services crawl between GCD and Clontarf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,148 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

this is why I'm very dubious when people say on here that the new trains and signalling will fix the reliability problems. It'll still be Irish Rail running the system and as a company they are incompetent at an organisational level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Reading all of your comments the main feeling that I'm getting is that IE schedulers aren't paying enough attention to potential routing conflicts at stations…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Sounds like they need another Conolly-Maynooth service leaving at about 18:52 to plug this gap.

Can't go any earlier to avoid conflicts with a Newbridge-bound train; can't go any later so as to stay ahead of the 18:55 ex-Docklands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭thomasj

duplicate post

i thought they did it before the phoenix park tunnel services came in ? Wasn't it needed to get paths for these services into GCD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

PPT services started in 2016. Resignalling was 2020. Resignalling just allows them to stack more trains closer together, coming into Connolly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Connolly does need some track work to improve however the core issue with this timetable is the adjustments they made to DARTs are causing a lot of problems.

The whole signalling re design for more trains is a bit like this timetable. Looks great on paper but not workable.

8.24 Malahide to Greystones was 12 minutes late into Clontarf Road this morning. Train rammed, and passengers left behind on the platform. Prıck had a bike on the train too.
    Gets into Connolly, and while a good few got off, the platform was packed with people waiting to get on.

• Advertisement

Changes to Maynooth services coming in next Monday. Guaranteed to make things worse. 😂

Few changes to Dundalk/Drogheda services coming in too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,733 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Every single Maynooth service I've taken has been late at the city end (and some at the far end too) since the change. Today was particularly bad.

Wow. when will we see the changes to Maynooth line services online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I struggle to get off the train at Connolly sometimes because people are the platform literally won't step back. Once or twice I've had to push through and actually nearly fell off the platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭Daith

In the summer I used to be able to get the 40e to Broombridge and the M3 to Docklands train around 7:15 or something. Was this changed with the revisions?

The 40E now arrives about two minutes after the Docklands train departs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,034 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The train was advanced by 8 mins in the recent timetable change.

Also bus journey running times (in general) have been lengthened since the schools returned.

Sounds like they should have left the running times as they were and not reduced them.

Looks that way. Does show systemic problems if they have degraded to needing such flabby timetables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Advertisement

They admitted from early on that things aren’t working as well as they planned - I would prefer that they were honest about that and let people know that they would try to address the problems.

I think that I would prefer that approach, rather than taking the approach that the NTA have taken each time when it came to the bus running time issues with each BusConnects phase, which was to say nothing at all and leave people in the dark for weeks on end.

Obviously we would all prefer that they had got it right in the first place, but better to be honest about it than taking a vow of silence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭deezell

I can't believe what I just heard on the 1.00 news on RTE. The Irish rail mouthpiece has acknowledged that the commuter services are all being badly delayed by the new timetable. He then says they are going to rectify this, and then in classic gobbledygook speak, he explains that they will restore the trains punctuality by... showing the delays as increased journey time, so they 'arrive' on time. In other words, sitting on a stationary train will be part of the timetable ffs! Something like 'arrives 8.45' next entry, 'departs 9.00', so 15 minute sitting at a red light or something. Thanks be to cheeses I'm retired, I took the Sligo train from/to Maynooth recently for a monrh of daily hospital treatment. Its Non stop most of the journey. It used to take 25 minutes to Maynooth in the 90s, but it was almost an hour most days, travelling at 15kph according to my speed app. You can travel over a 100km easily in that time in other countries, I could have been in Longford in that journey time. Now they're going to 'solve' the problem Ryanair style, by publishing really slow timetable journey times. Nothing more soul destroying than constantly stopped trains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭Daith

Thanks, that probably explains it. A bit of a pity. I could grab the 40e and be in Spencer Dock in 30 mins. Will use the Luas instead now.

It doesn't surprise me at all that they try to massage the numbers. When I first started getting the Dart to college I got an 8:14 train. It was fine for years then suddenly for months it was arriving at 8:16. So what did Irish Rail do? They changed the time to 8:16 so it makes their punctuality numbers look good.

Well if you’re faced with the reality that trains just aren’t able to make the running times that the new timetable has, then really the only option is to adjust them back to something achievable.

The Maynooth running times were cut in the new timetable and clearly it looks like they were cut by too much, and that has caused major problems.

People want a reliable service.

In that situation you need to come up with running times that are achievable.

There are any number of reasons why journey times need to be extended - more dwell time at stations due to increased loadings, increased frequency of services, more stations.

Sometimes you have to just bite that bullet.

Timetables that just don’t work in practice aren’t worth the paper that they are written on, and hence it’s not massaging figures, but rather delivering a timetable that is robust and achievable.

As for the non stop services between Maynooth and Connolly, yes they were faster in the 1990s, but they didn’t have to share the same pair of tracks with anything like the number of trains that there are now on the route. There is nowhere to overtake stopping services.

That’s why the strategic rail review advocates a new line from Maynooth to Hazelhatch to allow them a swift run into Heuston rather than having to share the same tracks as stopping DART services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

Ever since the new timetable came in the commuter train from Portlaoise to Heuston has been late getting into Park West where I alight. The new timetable means we start at Portlaoise two mins earlier which is meant to allow for a stop at the newly reopened Kishoge station. The arrival time at Park West therefore was supposed to remain the same. Unfortunately every single time I've got the commuter since the timetable change has resulted in us arriving at Park West at least 5 minutes late and ergo late for work.

It also grinds my gears that direct commuter trains travelling west bound from Park West in the evening leave at 16:28, 17:35 & 18:13. For a place with thousands of office workers you would think they could arrange the timetable so that it lined up with office hours - most finish between 16:30 and 17:00 with the 16:28 leaving too early and 17:35 too late.

• Advertisement

Coming up with schedules that suit everyone is impossible. Delay those trains, and the people getting on earlier in Connolly or Heuston may not be happy.

They also have to fit in with the Intercity services west of Hazelhatch on a two track railway - that’s akin to threading a needle.

These changes will be changed again in a few weeks. 😂

Looks like it’s affected a lot of Maynooth services, at over 30 trains. But only four Drogheda trains, and only 2 to 5 mins, as not a lot of room to change things there.

It’s not just increased journey time. Services are also departing earlier to try avoid conflicts, as well as having increased run time. Increasing run time theoretically allows for better turnaround times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Its getting worse as far as I can see

It isn’t likely to get any better until they implement the changes next week and even then they will have to keep the schedule under review.

• Advertisement

Leaf season is bearing down on us too.

I would prefer them admit mistakes before the media picked up on passenger complaints. It was not acknowledged until this occured. Then the PR spin today and not have a schedule available until tomorrow at the earliest.

Looking forward to additional time sitting outside Connolly just might be considered on time now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Bodan

The new timetable is up. They added a lot of padding to the northern routes and Maynooth.

Lets hope this works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Is it normal for stations like the newly opened Kishoge not to have live train information? I don’t use trains much but could use this for commuting only the lack of live travel information makes this more difficult than it could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

IIRC, that’s the same for 45 years! Buses have filled the gaps. The proposed turn back at Wicklow or Greystones could fill it in.

"all Dublin Connolly to Maynooth services have 3 minutes added to journey times, returning services to pre-timetable change journey times.

Most Maynooth to Dublin Connolly services have 3 to 7 minutes added to journey times."

I guess that fixes the current timetable, where everything is 10-15 minutes late. I do wish services could be improved rather than timetabled to run slower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

All stations should have these like in Britain. Very annoying that they don’t

When they opened Drumcondra Station way back, that saved my sanity, as you could get off and walk instead of the inevitable crawl and wait outside Connolly. The non stop Sligo intercity was a treat to come home on once, but now they crawl to Maynooth. Still, better than the horror of commuting by car.

I think someone has forgot to turn it on the website/app.

The station picks up the data for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Kishoge has real time information in the Irish Rail app and has done since opening day

• Advertisement

Left unpowered for years allows moisture ingress and corrosion internally, as theres no internal heat, so they fail when finally powered up. This happened many of the red led ones, installed for many years before being activated.

Would have thought that would be covered in the costs of opening the station, following closure.

The red led displays are in dire need of repair or replacement in general.

Now it's often something like this:

--.-….-. 8 min

#######h 21 min

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Glaceon

They also don't display the backend data very well anymore, have noticed   appearing on them a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭bikeman1

How was today on the rails around Connolly? Any improvement on the services with the revised times?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Northern line was disaster today, delays, overcrowding and cancellations, even worse than before. Train on the way home was like a mosh pit. Irish Rail blaming signalling issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭alentejo

The railways in and around Dublin are on a knife-edge with capacity and lack of rolling stock. One issue goes wrong and delays everything. Big knock on effects for all rail users.

More rail lines, more rolling stock and better signaling. Sounds easy, but no doubt costs millions (billions for new tracks) but is ultimately due to lack of investment over the years.

Yeah they need to bring in the blue ones that are showing up on the DART, city centre and new stations . Broombridge needs them as well.

• Advertisement

Whats on the displays looks like something from 'The Matrix'. "Only you can choose your destination. Take the Red (screen) pill, or the Blue (screen) pill". Careful now, or you could end up in #$##__%$ or even ▪︎}[□▪︎~|<¤

Advertisement