Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

As I understand the process, anyone without ID entering the state has their biometric data taken and is issued a new id.

AGS can run biometric data against several databases and refuse entry if the person is deemed to be a risk to the state.

In practice I'm not sure how often AGS intervene like this, I believe they're very under resourced at the moment, especially with the arson, violence, public order stemming from the anti-immigration movement in recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Then their application continues without. I'm sure you can appreciate that genuine cases of persons fleeing persecution may come from countries where it is impossible to get documents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Yvonne007

Lol.

So they need to supply ID to apply for asylum. It's a requirement.

(and if they don't have one, we will supply them with one)

Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭Nermal

It's a matter of incentives. Make it more unpleasant to stay here than it is to leave, and people will deport themselves.

The consequences of that are a matter for the countries they end up in, not for us.

The problem is that the realistic answers require a hard-headed nationalist selfishness. That's a value you can't reconcile yourself to, so you present the task as impossible when it isn't.

It would be illegal to refuse somebody's ability to seek asylum on the grounds of not having documentation, though it can be factored in any decision around granting refugee status.

That's the system we're part of, and have been for a very long time.

Still waiting to hear your alternative.

• Advertisement

So when you said

"Asylum seekers must provide identification during their application even if they don't produce it on arrival into the state"

that was untrue?

Why did you say it then?

The word "must" doesn't seem to mean anything then. It'd be more like "Asylum seekers HOPEFULLY will provide identification"

The alternatives involve changing what's illegal and what's not, MegamanBoo. That should be obvious.

Building a detention centre, diverting more resources towards clearing the backlog of application processing, and not allowing people to enter the general population until their application has been approved. In the cases where we can't verify who these people are, they are deported. How do other countries with secure borders do it? What are germany proposing? What do Australia do?

I can't see how it would cost any more than what is going on now.

It's not perfect and I am spitballing but it's a lot better than just sitting back and letting what is happening happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

If you genuinely had to run for your life with just the clothes on your back then it's not Ireland you're rocking up too.

If we take the poor people of Sudan getting pulled out of their huts and shot dead in the street like dogs because of religious persecution.

They're not gonna rock up to Ireland. Because they're stopping in the first country they hit if they manage to out run the crazy militia men with AKs chasing them.

Do you see the difference between that amd the AS arriving here?

Are you honestly going to belittle what the true version of fleeing is by comparing it to what is arriving to the furthest most point of north west Europe?

That is such a good point and I am angry that I didn't say it.

Jesus, it's so stupid when you think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

all threadbans are gone it seems on the OP… not clear what mod to message so popping it here.

Edit : it’s mentioned here -

@Ten of Swords I know it may be a bit of work but it’s not obvious that the threadban removal was due to this update - maybe a link would help in OPs with existing threadbanned lists?

Would that mean removing ourselves from the Geneva convention, or just ignoring part of it and hoping nobody notices?

In the likely event people continued to come here and live undocumented, how would we deal with this?

Maybe some Swedish style mandatory informing on friends and neighbours laws?

There are no threadbans anymore. There's a sticky in the Current Affairs forum explaining the new rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

just found it - cool, this should make interesting reading going forward.

I'm not sure what Germany's plans, if they have any in the longer term, are.

As for Australia, they've spent billions placing people in detention centers and trying to deport them, but neither appears to have worked as a deterrent.

They have had some success in reducing the number of applications with a strict pre-clearance system coupled to a boat push back policy. They seem now though to have quite serious problems with people overstaying visas and living undocumented, facilitated by organized crime.

I can't see how Australia's approach would work here though. We'd have to secure the border up North, and ensure we don't get our own small boat crossings (I believe it's quite feasible to cross from France or the UK in a small craft.)

You still haven't told us how we can affect these deportations? Australia resorted to spending huge sums to have people resettled in the US and elsewhere, do you think we should follow this approach too?

Nope. The Geneva convention allows people to SEEK asylum, not be granted asylum.

Each state is also free to establish the conditions for granting asylum.

So I think we should reasonably expect people arriving in Ireland to be able to provide absolute clarity of who they are and how they got here, considering they would have had to pass through many other countries. Failure to do so should be automatic grounds for refusal.

Valid documentation is the minimum we should expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭prunudo

And from that point of view, I can understand, its one of the reasons, I very much believe people should be allowed wear a mask at a protest.

But in the post I replied to, they didn't want to physically stand beside the unemployed person they referred too. That in my mind is foolish, if you believe in something, you should stand up and use your right to protest.

We can, and I believe do, consider a persons documentation in deciding to grant asylum.

But we still have to allow them enter the process and seek asylum.

I'm not sure how much leeway we have in deciding on the granting of asylum. I'd imagine fair process must be offered. Have you a source for your claims that each free state is free to establish the conditions of granting asylum? And does this apply to the ECHR too?

I'd rather spend huge sums deporting people who shouldn't be here rather than huge sums keeping them here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,680 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes.

But they can be deported after their claim fails. We don't do that. Failed AS remain here.

We need to start doing it, on a weekly basis.

• Advertisement

We are perfectly free to ignore part of it - even if 'someone' notices, there is no-one who can make us honour it. But our internal institutions would resist that enough that officially repudiating it, in part at least, would almost certainly be necessary.

If people are still coming here to live undocumented, we haven't turned the screw hard enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭twinytwo

But you do not want anything done, thus have convinced yourself nothing can be done and will find issues with absolutely any suggestion.

If by 'finding issues' you mean looking at what hasn't worked elsewhere.

Then yes, I guess I'm finding issues.

I can't understand why we're expected to act in some kind of blind panic, to deal with such a small number of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

But making it more unpleasant to stay here than it is to leave means making it less worthwhile being in a secure, developed Western European country than what are the often impoverished or dangerous countries the asylum seekers are coming from. And even your view that they can just opt to deport themselves — well how is that a deterrent?

In fact, its a draw factor. You take your chance at getting to Europe, worst case scenario if you think it's worse being there than at home then you can just opt to leave. Nothing to lose.

As for requiring "hard headed nationalist selfishness" — that's actually one of the very things that makes tackling illegal migration more difficult and in fact makes it more difficult for European countries to achieve co-operation in facilitating deportations and returns of illegal migrants. When the name of the game is be selfish to f**k your neighbours over — well — take a look at the gleeful way the Tories were going to happily screw us on encouraging migrants to make for the border into the Republic to get a sense for where hard headed nationalist selfishness will take us.

I'd think we can be made honor these obligations, I've asked the question before as to whether we're exempt, but I believe we could be subject to similar fines as Hungary are.

The bigger issue I would think is the risk immigration, and more specifically nation-states reactions to immigration, is posing to EU stability. I can't see how the EU would continue to function as it does unless there is some harmonization on dealing with immigration. As the UK learned the union just does not operate as a simple trade agreement.

As for harder approaches to people living undocumented I'd think it's far more difficult than you'd imagine. Most western countries that I can see which have had to deal with the issue have allowed people access to basic services such as education and healthcare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭twinytwo

I would think our short term costs are too high on emergency accommodation, but otherwise what are these 'huge sums' keeping people here? Or maybe you also dispute the ESRI findings of strong labour market involvement by IPAs?

https://www.esri.ie/news/strong-take-up-of-right-to-work-by-international-protection-applicants-in-ireland-since-2018

In terms of Australia's approach, which you've advocated we follow, they resorted to spending near $14 million per person to have people resettled in Cambodia whom they couldn't deport, only two of whom remained.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/mar/09/55m-cambodia-deal-that-resettled-two-refugees-a-good-outcome-says-dutton

I think it's fair to say you're plans on detaining and deporting appear quite unfeasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

The government are give students the two finger salute yet again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,612 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The NGOs must be licking their lips with this 13.7bn

• Advertisement

My issue has been, and will always be, people who are bogus asylum seekers and illegal immigrants. If a case is genuine and/or people arrive here legally, then I have no issue.

It is the bogus ones which we need to root out and they shouldn't be here and they shouldn't be allowed work. They need to leave. I don't have all the answers but I am steadfast in that belief. If you shouldn't be here, you shouldn't be here and we shouldn't be incentivising people to stay. We need to figure out a viable and sustainable method of achieving that.

Sitting on our hands and saying "well, thems the rules and it is what it is" which is what you seem to be saying, isn't acceptable.

Advertisement