Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French man accused of drugging his wife and inviting men to rape her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I already did: for instance, do you still think the men were recruited from all over Europe as you claimed earlier?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And that will be why the New Zealand Cricket team are happily playing Afghanistan and posting lots about how much fun they're having with their Afghan friends.

That's NZ which is so progressive that - like the UN to be fair - they think that those Afghan women risking arrest simply if unrelated men hear the sound of their voices are only identifying as women and presumably have just not chosen to be men like them?

That's how much men in western countries too actually care about women - even men who pretend to. But not to the extent of sacrificing something important like sport.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Do you have a point here or is it just more personal abuse?

Sorry is this about rape or is this going to be a thinly veiled thread about the TERF agenda. I don't understand where you went to with this post.

It's not personal abuse to highlight your posts all thrust at a misandrist agenda of hating men, so much so that your posts even find it tortious to thank the security and law enforcement for their efforts in bringing this rape sex ring to justice, for fear those security and law enforcement might be men, and rub against the thesis that men are to be distrusted as perverts etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭aero2k

I didn't say "it took a man to solve the crime for you". That's a misinterpretation at best - at worst you're misrepresenting what I said. Apologies if I misread the thread, there's a lot of info to keep track of, but I was under the impression that a man made the decision to dig a bit deeper into this sick pervert's history. I only pointed it out as a rebuttal to rogber - in other words an example of a man doing something good, and well, not saying that a woman couldn't or wouldn't have done the same thing in the same circumstances.

Do you mean Lucy Letby? You realise it's becoming more and more probable that she has been the scapegoat for terrible failings in the hospital she was working in?

It seems very likely that there were no murders at all in that hospital.

Another point about this constant "It's misandry!" whinge is that even if it were, the consequences for men are just not on the same level as what women put up with - even from men who claim to live them.

As I forget now who said, When a woman says "I hate men" she just goes ahead and lives her life, avoiding men to the best of her abilities. When a man says "I hate women", it often means he will shout and abuse random women in the street, if not far far worse - hurt, rape or kill them.

And yet men seem to think the two "hates" are mirror equivalents. They're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭whatever.

Women who insist that it is more than a minute minority of men who are prepared to rape women if they think they can get away with it are part of the problem. There is a real problem with women who commit "minor" abuses against men, and a FAR bigger problem with millions of women, their friends and families, who ignore or dismiss that as minor, instead of seeing it for what it is, namely women who are actively abusing men and who will go farther and farther if they feel that other women are happy to ignore their behaviour or even secretly admire them for it.

The above is what you are doing, engaging in the sexist misandry driven behaviour that nobody approves of and using a victim as your shield

Women have agency and independence, you're describing them as all victims and reinforcing the view that women are inferior and cannot function in society without male support and protection

You manage to be sexist and derogatory to both sexes at the same time which is some achievement

I actually think you're projecting anger you carry from an ex partner or relative. It would be in your interest to think about this for your own self worth, mental stability and future

Well, you said "the detectives who unearthed this crime were men" - we don't know that, and they didn't exactly unearth it. It wasn't like they were going through cold case files or something.

First, we don't even know that the security guard was male. Probably, since most are, but that's all I know - and I've followed this pretty closely. And as I said, the security guard didn't actually detect the upskirting anyway, merely responded to women's complaints (I don't think that's been posted on here before so you may not have come across it, but I've seen it said explicitly elsewhere)

Second, you assume that the detective who pushed for further investigation was male. I don't know that, so I suppose neither do you, though I have read in today's testimony that the order of events was that when he was arrested for upskirting, a psychiatrist (who was male, TBF) was automatically brought in to speak to him, and it was this psychiatrist who was immediately convinced that Pelicot was doing a lot more than that. That's why it was taken further this time, contrary to the time 10 years before that when he was just fined and nothing more was done.

That, clearly is a mistake that our society needs to stop doing, dismissing or minimising "minor" sexual assaults like upskirting or flashing.

@RMCInfo L. Layet expert psychiatre explique avoir été mandaté dès la garde à vue de #Pelicot pour l’affaire de captation sous les jupes des clientes d’un supermarché il avait confié à l’officier de police judiciaire sa conviction que ce n’était pas une première #viols #Mazan @RMCInfo  

So, we have a psychiatrist who did his job well, and a procedure that had him called in automatically it seems. That's good too. I wonder what the procedure is in Ireland or the UK for someone caught upskirting women at the local Lidl?

I didn't assume anything. I mistakenly believed that to be the case. You yourself have made comments about misogynistic police forces, there'd have to be a fair few men there for that to be the case. At any rate it seems that if I was to assume that there were some men involved in the investigation, that that would be a reasonable assumption. rogber wants all men removed from society, I just attempted to suggest examples where maybe some men were making useful contributions.

That seems to have landed wrong - grand.

No worries, I realise my own post sounded a bit harsh, and I didn't mean it to be.

I just think the idea that "men saved women from this" is kind of a weak - actually deeply ironic - argument really. It's a bit like claiming, as I've seen elsewhere, that if men all disappeared, women would have nobody to protect them from danger … ehh - what danger?? 😏

But it wasn't meant as a personal attack on you.

Fair enough, but I never actually suggested anything like " men saved women from this" - in this case the woman wasn't saved as so much harm had been done by the time her husband was caught. I'd be more inclined to accept the suggestion of hyperbole on behalf of rogber if it wasn't for the number of similar posts elsewhere.

Hopefully I can clarify: some men do good things, some men do bad things, some men do a mixture of both. Removing men from society might cure some problems, at the cost of also removing all the good.

Likewise with women on the good and bad, though on the whole they are not as physically violent.

The Spiritan thing prompted a discussion with some fellow past pupils- one of the cruelest teachers was female ( and not a member of a religious order). I accept that your OP is not about that, but rogber appears to be saying all women good, most men bad, and only women get to judge. That's as sexist a position as the reverse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭carveone

I wonder what the procedure is in Ireland or the UK for someone caught upskirting women at the local Lidl?

For most of the nauseating era that was the 2000s, the procedure was to publish in a magazine like Heat or some other grubby tabloid and get paid. It's only been criminal since 2019 in the UK. No idea about Ireland (do we have more cop on in this country anyway?). The behaviour was rampant in the UK and US, if anything ramping up after Diana died.

Tabloid journalists like Perez Hilton and paparazzi photographers of that era should all be in jail. When they weren't actively commiting criminal acts (Eg phone hacking) they were training an entire generation of young men that treating women like meat was the Done Thing. I know, I was there, I saw male employees behave in ways that would get you instantly P45ed now.

It set such a hostile environment for women that assuming every man could be a dangerous lunatic became a necessary life skill. After all, what were you going to do? Report him? Good luck with that.

That stuff about the Spiritans (aren't they the Holy Ghost Brothers?) is awful. I haven't been reading it because it's all just never ending. Although when you look at what's come out elsewhere in the last couple of decades, I've got to the point where I wonder if Ireland wasn't actually somewhat ahead in beginning to deal with abuse in schools? Maybe because it was so blatant, but all the same.

But no I would never say that all women are perfect, or anything like it.

I forgot to mention this the other day, when the accused were all briefly allowed to speak on the first day:

A 55 year old male nurse who claims to be unaware that having sex with an unconscious woman might involve issues around consent?

Does anyone else think there's a risk that somebody might need to consider the possibility that some of his patients may have been abused too?

oh I imagine suppose and hope all their lives are being examined under the microscope.

his attitude will probably wither to a jury but then again, Brock Turner got away with Affluenza, so it’s not unheard of... Hopefully the French courts don’t water down their sentencing simply based on their day jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Imagine my surprise last year when I saw Perez Hilton picking up his kids from the same school my child attended. He has daughters and I really hope he appreciates now just how bad he was, and how damaging his articles were to the young women who were his primary targets, and primary audience tbf. You're right, a lot of that stuff is no longer acceptable, thankfully, but it seems like there are so many new ways now to target women and girls instead

I didn't know who he was so I googled him just now. It seems he had his children via surrogates, so I'd be dubious that he sees them as much more than designer accessories.

Separately, I hadn't realised that you're in New York. (I'm assuming PH hasn't moved to Dublin or Galway!)

I'm not at all convinced that the 50 will all get long sentences. I suspect there are so many that it will be seen as enough to give Pélicot a longish sentence, and the others will vary but in practice I think many of them will probably escape a severe sentence. I posted up about a judge a few years back who got a suspended sentence for planning to have his 13 year old daughter drugged and raped.

So I fear that they will feel that if they make an example of Pelicot, that will be enough. Possibly also some of the worst of the others: the one who was HIV positive, and the one who used the method to drug his own wife, whom he and Pelicot then raped about 10 times. Maybe a few others.

In comparison, the bog-standard ones will probably get off lightly. I hope I'm being unduly pessimistic.

Maybe women will riot in the streets if they do? Or is that just my misandry again? 😏

I actually find myself wanting to say "Holy Ghost Fathers" - I'm old enough to remember Windscale rebranding as Sellefield due to a different, but equally insidious sort of toxicity.

I just dragged them in here as it's kind of relevant; including physical abuse it's just another almost impossible to understand example of some humans deciding to casually use others as an outlet for their own warped personalities. I say "almost" as I can see how a teacher might lose the plot with a bunch of wild young lads. What I witnessed and experienced was rarely that though - the cruelty was casual and routine.

We might be ahead of other places in dealing with this after the fact, but the prepetraters mostly got off scott free. There is a huge sense with the various enquiries of a strategy to let the clock wind down, until the victims or guilty folks were all dead.

And that final point goes back to what I think you were driving at with this thread: what can be done with society to prevent such atrocities? How can we root out evil in our midst? I have no answers, just deep sorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Yvonne007

Why in this case? Is that not just an admission that in other cases, people are just paying lip service?

But your idea that men are the root of all evil is sexist in the extreme, and thats being generous.

@Overheal

Is this good enough evidence for you that the men raping Gisele Pelicot were pretty much all from the department "le Vaucluse"?

It's one of the smallest departments in France, and the lawyer for the defence is asking whether the psychiatrist testifying really believes that "Everything that is most horrible is concentrated in the Vaucluse?"

The lawyer is trying to argue that these men believed that they were playing a role play, that it is not possible that there are dozens of men locally who would really rape an unconscious woman, despite the video evidence that they did - but that's not my point here: my question is whether you now accept that indeed, literally dozens of men from a relatively small area were all prepared to commit this crime, and that it was not a question of Pelicot having to search a huge population like the whole of Europe, nor even the whole of France, to find 72 or 83 or whatever it was willing participants?

And that even if half a dozen came from elsewhere - something we haven't seen yet, but could be the case - that doen't change the basic fact that there were a lot of men for such a small area who were either actively looking for the chance, or were opportunistic, rapists, and thus that it's logical to suppose that there will be similar numbers elsewhere too.

This doesn’t tell us anything of such consequence. You accused me of misreading single lines from a report in the New York Times earlier here you’re taking a single line of a question from a tweet from no one particularly authoritative on Twitter and using that to fancifully interpret something it doesn’t say and to top it off what it does say is an opinion is being asked for and there is just the question asked:

Un avocat demande : "est-ce que selon vous ce qu'il y a de plus horrible dans la France est concentré dans le Vaucluse ?". Ou (je paraphrase), les accusés ne se seraient pas laissés berner par une fausse annonce libertine, pour réaliser "un désir alors que madame dort".

A lawyer asks: "in your opinion, what is most horrible in France is concentrated in Vaucluse?" Or (I paraphrase), the accused would not have allowed themselves to be fooled by a false libertine ad, to fulfill “a desire while Madame is sleeping”.

(edited to fix block of code format from google translate on iphone)

if you’re trying to allude to more I have no idea. I don’t have a Twitter account so cannot see if this is a thread.

Post edited by Overheal on

It's not "nobody authoritative", it's a journalist from one of the main news stations live tweeting the testimony. IOW that's a point being made by a lawyer for the defence.

And what it tells you is that the whole court accepts as a given that the rapists were recruited locally, from one of the smallest departments in the country.

Because nobody has disagreed or objected to that. If you want the response (next tweet), I'm happy to give you that too. But it's not relevant to this point, it's just the expert who replies that even if they did think it was a game when they arrived, they would have seen the state she was in and could have left at that point.

Now, if you're going to start trying to claim that this is unreliable, even though it's live tweeting with links, from a journalist who appears on national TV and radio in France reporting on this case, I think that says all we need to know about you.

As to whether or not you have twitter, I can't help that. I don't know what you can see. What do you want, a screengrab?

Although I've given you the translation anyway, so unless you're still trying to make out that I'm lying, you don't even need the screengrab. And anyone who does have twitter can go on the original link and tell you if I'm lying, so I'm hardly going to risk that. 😏

That's fine if you want to play games and make silly faces (I thought this rape case was a serious matter, apparently not for all) I will disregard this as the nonsense it is.

Asking for a defense's expert's opinion and not even demonstrating their answer for that matter doesn't tell us all of the men came out of the same department at all.

WTF?

Can you say whether you currently think your original claim that recruitment was "stretched across Europe" is anywhere close to reality given that a defence lawyer is using as part of their defence the apparently undisputed (by the prosecution, the judge or any of the other defence lawyers) fact that recruitment was limited to the department of the Vaucluse?

If you don't believe this fact, as stated by the defence, and accepted by the rest of the court, could you explain why you think it's wrong?

The question was whether it was "concentrated" around the crime, sure perhaps, but I don't even know what answer they gave. The chat room was accessible to anyone though and who could read or translate French. This doesn't indicate to anyone by itself and for certain all 50/50 men on trial hailed from the borders of Vaucluse or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

So, you answer the rhetorical question in the affirmative. It's no indication of anything you claim other than that the question was asked.

The lawyer could have been referring to the place of the crime and activities of the defendants.

Where does it say that the defendants all came from the same place?

Perhaps you haven't understood the point made by the lawyer. I certainly can't understand how what you've just posted relates to the point made.

All (or nearly all) of the 50 men being accused are from the local area. That's what the defence lawyer is saying. I don't know how mabny times you need it repeated in order for it to get through to you.

How can anyone understand the point being made by the lawyer without hearing the answer of the witness asked? This is basic litigation logic. If but only juries could decide cases by reading a sheet of lawyers questions, and hearing no answers from any witnesses.

"nearly all" of the men being from the local area still is an admission that some could not be, which pierces the thesis of yours that there is a rape crime ring in nearly every village all over.

Sorry I've no idea what you're saying here. How would that work, given his argument, which I explained?

And indeed the psychiatrist's answer, which I also gave?

Download twitter then, it's free. If you don't want to know what they're saying, that's entirely on you.

Presently, you're in effect sticking your fingers in your ears and claiming not to be able to hear anything.

And your second paragraph is just stupid. As other posters told you days ago, you're just making yourself look stupid with that sort of nonsense.

Given whose argument? Show me the tweet from the journalist confirming the accused all come from the same area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Are certain posters really being such pedants that they are nitpicking over how many of these sickos are from a certain area ?

You've not heard of local rape gangs - Telford, Rotherham etc etc ??

Why would this ONE town be the only one ? Who can definitively say this is the only example ?

And I'm sorry I missed the poster;s name earlier - the nurse who seems not to know (in reality knows but doesn't care) that raping an unconscious woman is wrong - if he has looked after any coma patients, by God they need to be looked at. Horrific.

I did. The journalist is Juliette Campion, she's from France Info. And I gave the link to the relevant thread, so you can follow the whole testimony yourself.

If you wish to.

Yes, Redouane El Farihi is the nurse. Absolutely - I think the idea that all but a few of these men only raped one woman ever is hard to believe. As you say, all the women around them are likely to have been at risk.

But I suspect it's the danger of having such a massive trial of so many men: as I said earlier about the punishments, I suspect that there will be a few "exemplary" punishments and the others will get off with a slap on the wrist, precisely because in comparison with some of the worst offenders, there will be jury fatigue and their crimes will begin to seem relatively minor in comparison.

In the same way as they're no longer even looking for the missing men who were in the videos but not identified. Never mind the 30 or whatever it was who knew about the rapes but did not denounce them. Nobody seems to be even thinking about finding them. And I think that's because they feel like this is enough.

But it's not. It's not enough while all those other men are still out there, rapists or colluders with rapists.

The onus is not on me to download an app for a cesspool social media site. You made the claim, you supply the proof.

If the evidence was there you claim is pertinent to the thread you'd directly share those embedded tweets/links, not play games or deflect to 'nuh uh you sound stupid' level diatribe.

Why would this ONE town be the only one ? Who can definitively say this is the only example ?

That's not really the argument the OP had put forward though, quite the opposite of this being the only example their claim is this example means there is one everywhere, in each in every town and village, a rape sex ring (especially involving drugging a housewife without her knowledge of any of it) which is an irrational position to take from an extremely limited sample size.

You're putting forward the idea, that in any 'average town', there's a huge quantity of rapists, based on your as yet unproven claim that the accused in the case named in this thread title all come from the same 'average town'.

Please post a link, any link which confirms this, just one.

I literally told you I cannot easily read twitter, I don't have an account. So if you link a tweet that is eg. the head of a 40 tweet 'thread' I cannot read the thread, I cannot read replies, I cannot even use the inbuilt language translation, I have to copy the text into google (which is why when I quoted it in english earlier it came out as a gross code block, couldn't get around that on the phone). I will not register an account for Elon's nazified twitter. If this is an impediment to you getting your point across, whatever it is, it's not my problem. I can only see tweets via a direct embed or hyperlink to each tweet (or sharing the link via eg. a 3rd party thread viewer). I have suggested how you can get your point across without requiring users have their personal data open to Elon Musk.

regarding your "exact" argument about rape crime rings being everywhere, yes you've been making the case they're everywhere, not simply the much more limited argument that there is a nonzero amount of other rape crime rings elsewhere. Everyone can read that on page one:

He also didn't have to search too far to recruit the others - it was all within a fairly small zone. So unless there's some reason to think that particular small town and its surroundings make up some sort of "Little Britain" incestuous village - which AFAIK there isn't, then it's probably the same everywhere. Which means there are a lot of men living normal lives who are eager to rape an unconscious woman as long as her husband isn't going to punch their lights out.

You may not have twitter, but I gave you the translation of what it said. So you do know what it said.

If you choose not to click on the link to check, for whatever reason, that's your right, but it means that you can either take my word for it, or you can call me a liar. Without evidence because you choose not to check the link I gave, which bears out what I posted.

The alternative is that the Vaucluse is a particular hellhole full of far more rapists than anywhere else.

I don't expect that's the case, but perhaps you have some evidence that it is?

The sole thing you translated is one line: "Everything that is most horrible is concentrated in the Vaucluse?"

You didn't even translate the whole of the only tweet you linked to.

When I click the link to the tweet this is all I see:

If I click to see the quotes of the tweet, reposts or check for replies or click I get this:

Even when I click "Translate Post" a viewer of the page without a login just gets this:

If you don't care that your arguments cannot be seen by anyone logged in to Twitter then I won't care either, I just thought this was meant to be a serious conversation about a serious ring of crimes.

Sorry, @Overheal I don't know what you're asking. I actually explained the context (which is to say the second part of the tweet) and the reply from the psychiatrist - which you don't have there.

What are you saying is missing that doesn't allow you understand that my point is that if you have a random area of limited size and population, much smaller than a whole country, and within that area you find dozens of men on a website looking to rape women, who then do actually rape a woman, then either, that area is some weird outlier of a place, or else most/all places are likely to have similar numbers of men with the same (and other) perversions.

Can you explain why you seem to think that finding one person who comes from somewhere else would disprove this please?

Mad, you accused me of not being able to read earlier and tried to deny that was your thesis earlier, yet here it is again, written anew, that you feel that there's dozens of men waiting to gang rape someone's wife in every sleepy village all over the wide world.

No, that's still not what I'm saying. But never mind. Because the more detail comes out, the more it's looking as though that's actually the case:

Here's another live tweet from the journalists covering the case - I'll do you a screengrab if you prefer:

The accused are being questioned one by one (not all today, it's going to take days).

For the 13th man, the photos/videos are not of the couple's bedroom. When asked, the daughter said it looked like their holiday home in the west of France. And this guy, n° 13, - guess where he lives? Yep, just nearby in La Rochelle. Look it up on a map if you like: Ile de Ré to La Rochelle. Might be an hour's drive but I doubt it. More like half an hour.

So now we have three places where Pelicot was recruiting men locally. When he was in Paris, he recruited men in the Paris area. Most of the time this was going on, they lived in Mazan, and he recruited around there, but when they were away on holidays, in the west of France, probably 800km away, then he was recruiting men from around there.

Those French, eh? What are they like? Three different centres of crime rape rings, as you call them.

Come to that, you're not far off the mark it seems.

I wonder whether men are the same in the rest of Europe too. Maybe it's unique to France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭rogber

"Not all men". Just lots and lots of them - plus the ones who still haven't been identified and all the others who couldn't care less unless it's their daughter or sister or mother who's the victim, they get more worked up about a missed handball in football than male crime against women:

It's striking that the men they interviewed are playing it down. A local shopkeeper says "Nobody gives a damn." They're bored with it all now, it seems.

But local women are saying they are worried about the men who haven't been identified:

“So, we know 30 out of 80 still haven’t been caught. There are tensions here because people don’t know if they can trust their neighbours. You ask yourself – is he one of the 30? What is your neighbour getting up to behind closed doors?” said Isabelle Liversain in a voice sharp with frustration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭amandstu

Just learning about this.How was the husband initially discovered to be doing all this?

Is this the tip of an iceberg (small iceberg,large iceberg)?

Just a one off ?

With so many accomplices it feels to me that there must be more to come out.

How are woman supposed to protect themselves from this if this is any way widespread at all?

What should the punishment be?

For such a horrific crime it seems that the perpetrators were very easily reeled in (and kept their secret)

Are they all going to be put on the stand and questioned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

He was caught filming up women's skirts in public and when the police examined his computer they found the photos and videos of his wife being raped in a folder casually labeled "abuse". Something like this is almost impossible for a woman to protect herself from if she happens to marry a man who will drug and rape her without her knowledge, and apparently there were also plenty of other men in every location they went to who were willing to do the same to her given the opportunity, which is one of the most shocking things. Some people on here seem more outraged by people pointing out this fact than the fact that it actually happened though.