Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 16 (Plus, Pro Max and Pro)

• 13-08-2024 10:54am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Around 4 weeks away from announcement day for this years models.

What are we hoping to see? what model do you plan on getting?

Price guesses?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Doodah7

It will be as exciting as the 13, 14 and 15, as in more of the same blandness. Slight increase in screen size and a camera spec increase. Everything else will be niche, marginal upgrades. We will also get a new washed out colour or two.

I reckon the price of the new phones will the same as the 15 if not a little less. No way they are increasing the price on a phone with a five year old design.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Summer2020

exactly, I stopped being interested in iPhone annual updates about 4 years ago. Incremental updates at this stage.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There are rumours of a new physical button beside the screen lock button for using the camera, which will feel like the shutter button on a DSLR where you can half-press to focus etc. Also talk that all models are getting the action button thing.

Other than that, same old story of minor upgrades to camera and screen.

I have a 12Pro, the 13, 14 and 15 weren't significant enough to be worth buying, my battery health is 81% so not sure I'll get another year out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭iniall

I was looking at upgrading from my 14 Pro to a 16, but if Apple Intelligence doesn't make it to the EU due to possible DMA non-compliance, then I don't really see the point…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭finno

Same as me my iphone 12 pro max battery is 82%.

So going to buy the 16 pro max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Yeah, recently bought the 15 Pro so definitely won't be upgrading this year. I sent my 12 Pro to Apple for a new battery and my other half is using it now and it's perfect.

It will be interesting to see how much of the new IOS features will filter over to us, particularly the AI and other smarts which will be publicised again, to make people switch out their aging handsets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

im gonna say congratulations you bought the same phone twice :) will i get one ?

yes ….yes i will because thats what i do and have been conditioned to so lol

na i just have the Apple system stuck in me now and refuse to change and anyone who says other wise is lying to themselves

i sell my one every year at that time to fund the next one , but it is a pain in the slice that they dont really make an effort any more apart from putting the price up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sorry but what are people expecting at this stage?

Smartphones are very mature now and you're not going to get revolutionary changes every year. This applies not just to Apple.

However, when you look at the gradual changes you see how different an iphone 11 is to a 15 but still people are not happy.

People keep finding looks and colours of phones very important and then go and slap a plastic case on it.

Key nowadays is software, and that's massive change in last 5 years and the next 5 years will be even bigger as AI possibilities take hold.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Event announced for September 9th.

Strange, the events are usually on a Tuesday so a day early this year.

Countdown is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone watching? Missed the start of the event and only joined for AI.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Looks like you can wait to join until "later in the year" for the AI stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

No change in price for the Pro Max models.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I have only watched some of the event but the new colours look interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

Are the camera lenses smaller on the pros this year ? The three black circles don’t look as big as the 15 Pros

The only 2 things I found any way interesting about this event was the new camera button and the matte black Ultra watch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Confirmation Apple Intelligence won't be available in the EU with no resolution in the pipe.

The biggest feature and selling point of the phone this year, and it won't be available. Disaster.

I'm sure there will be a way around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭squonk

Very meh this year I thought. The only real standout get be were the AirPods hearing capabilities, the addition of sleep apnea monitoring and the cameras button on the phones. Even having downloaded and installed the RC now it’s a bit of a meh update. They built this release around AI and it’s its main USP. If we’re not getting it in the EU for now at least it kind of nullifies this whole cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Opinion Warning!

AI is a trendy buzzword and all of the tech companies are rushing to get something out to the market. Apple is no exception. I have never used my phone and wished that there was some arbitrary AI feature built-in.

I am 100% fine with Apple Intelligence not coming to Ireland, doubly so when it means that Apple can't scrape my data to make themselves more money.

The EU has given us USB-C, and that is far, far, far more useful to me in everyday situations than some half-hearted 'AI' thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭breeno

I'm using a 13 base model which has a battery getting weaker and iffy charging port. I was looking towards the 16 base model but I'm not bowled over. Would a 15 pro be a better shout than 16 base?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The intelligence will eventually come to Ireland and the EU and it's the future.

Apple also been very clear how privacy will be protected etc. and I think it will have great features when fully rolled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Currently on a 12 Pro - that's still running fine - on a plan paid for by work. That will be ending in the next couple of months, so it'll give me the opportunity to switch plans and hopefully upgrade to a 16 at the same time. Might not bother with the Pro this time. There's enough cumulative upgrades between the 12 and the 16 that will make it significant, plus futureproofing for the AI features when they do come to us.

I'm very happy to see that the regular Watch is getting a depth gauge. I'm a regular snorkeler, but since I don't scuba dive, a dive computer or Apple Watch Ultra is overkill for me. Having the 6m limited gauge in the Series 10 is perfect for me. I'm on a Series 4 at the moment that's getting a bit long in the tooth, so I'm really looking forward to that upgrade. The new Watch OS 11 tide app and watersports logging improvements look great too. I'm currently using Tide Pro and Paddle Logger.

Interesting to see there's no "premium" case option this year from Apple, after they got rid of the finewoven, which was a spectacular fail for a case.

Just Silicone and the clear plastic one, and a new "beats" case

The USB-c stuff is hilarious.

Apple called out USB-c as a major feature in various products, including the AirPods Max where literally the only update is USB-c, despite them spending so much time and money fighting against it saying how terrible it would be.

The thing that puts me off the regular 16 is the colours, I don't like the cartoony colours. I don't put my phone in a case so it would really bother me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yeah, the colors aren't great, but I do use an Otterbox case, so it's not too much of an issue for me.

I'll probably just get a black one. In all fairness, the colours of the 16 Pro aren't great either. Black, white or two sandy ones. I've the Pacific Blue 12 Pro, and I love that colour.

Apple's point at the time was not that USB-C was terrible, but that being forced to use USB-C would stifle innovation because if they (or someone else) invented something better than USB-C, they couldn't use it in their products. I think that's a fair point.

Apple's point was nothing to do with inventing something better than USB-c and everything to do with selling proprietary cables at 20 odd quid a go.

Similar to their tantrum about the intelligence stuff in the EU, similar to their behaviour on easing App Store restrictions, it's all about protecting the walled garden.

Ok then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ivor_Guddon

Am i the only one who is sick of the big noise they make regarding camera's ?

i mean how many people actually go into the settings in depth to set up the camera ?

i have a 14 pro max and tbh never once looked or cared about camera quality etc , out at acdc or coldplay plenty of std pics that were pretty good

i just feel too much emphasis on camera's that to most people don't really make much a difference

how about getting rid of the lumpy lenses , better battery , a case that does not scratch at all

" OHH this amazing titanium case etc etc " means sweet fa when you have to put a €10.00 cover over it , sort of defeats the purpose

many times i take my phone out of its case to clean it and wish i could just use it without a cover as it feels so nice

Rant over 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Spook80

Anyone know if “Available September 20th” generally means its to be delivered that day or only shipped?

I’m going away on Monday 23rd and unsure whether to just wait till i get back to order phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Spook80

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

To Apple's credit, they have always been very transparent and protective of consumer data. It's one of the pillars of how they do business. It's one of the very few tech companies I have low concerns about data abuse with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭tjhook

I agree with this. I've moved from Android to Apple, even though I prefer the physical shape, battery life, price, software features of my older Android. But I just couldn't live with the knowledge that Google was watching me and distributing my details far and wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

I’m in the same boat. I think I’ll put a new battery in the 12 pro and wait another year or 2 to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ivor_Guddon

why pay €1500 or so to then pay more per month , madness

just make a phone that don't scratch

That's like saying, why pay 50k for a car and then spend 1500-2000 getting it PPF'd and ceramic coated?

Just make paint that doesn't scratch or fade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s just a suggestion because you made the point about how nice the titanium looks, and sure you could compromise and get a more durable phone for a lot less, but it’d be some heft, and they sure as hell ain’t pretty 😂

On your point about the cameras - I personally have rarely ever used them, either front or back, but I know plenty of people who buy the latest generation iPhones, only because of the better camera specs, because a DSLR camera on it’s own could be nearly the same total cost of ownership as an iPhone! So the iPhone is something of a compromise, like buying Apple care because you care about the phone being scratched, or a €10 case because you don’t care about the additional benefits of Apple care.

Ultimately you as the consumer makes the choices and decisions as to what you want from an iPhone, and how much money you’re willing to part with to own it, like anything else really.

Will I personally be paying for a new iPhone 16? Not on yer life, one of the absolute best things about iPhones is their longevity - I’m still sporting an iPhone 11, that’s due to get iOS 18 when it comes out. The iPhone has paid for itself many, many times over in the years that I’ve had it, and their trade-in value is legendary. I was surprised that I’d get anything at all for it if I traded up to the iPhone 16, but the option is there if I ever want to (in reality I’ll probably just go with the 13 next year tbh).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I bought the finely woven one last year. A pile of shitê

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I wonder will iPhone 16 improve their camera quality and finally have it on par with a Samsung from 2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I’m not trolling. I find cameras on iPhones absolutely dreadful. I have an iPhone and My partner has a Samsung. Samsung camera is far superior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Anyone successfully upgrade on Vodafone’s shite website? Every 2 years the same issue - something went wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Glaceon

My experience has been the exact opposite, the Samsung photos all come out as if they've had an emboss filter applied to them and look too sharp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Same, if I go through as a new customer I have no issues but as an upgrade it won't add to the basket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I usually upgrade every 2 years and this happens every single time 🤬🤬🤬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Have had this issue this afternoon. Got through to order and payment taken from my credit card. Then crashed on their end. Now can’t add anything to basket and says I am not due an upgrade. Shitshow.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
Advertisement